Dicker The Kicker

Shaggy3.0

I said this early on.  his hook is a problem.  He made the OU kick so that gives me hope but the kid needs to work that out.  reliable kickers don't have a hook/draw.  the ball goes straight.  it may be straight left or right but it's straight.  maybe we can get tucker to work with him in the offseason.

that game should have been over with a simple 35 yard FG.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Dude had one bad kick (the long one shouldn't count. 50+ kicks aren't gimmies) and yall are ready to write him off. 

No one's ready to write him off.  the 50 yarder today was with a pretty good wind.  he's missed multiple kicks and a few chippie's badly.    he's hitting 66% which is barely better than rowland.  He's got the leg and it seems he has the mentality but he has to get rid of that natural hook/draw or it is going to be a problem.

Just now, dcar00 said:

No one's ready to write him off.  the 50 yarder today was with a pretty good wind.  he's missed multiple kicks and a few chippie's badly.    he's hitting 66% which is barely better than rowland.  He's got the leg and it seems he has the mentality but he has to get rid of that natural hook/draw or it is going to be a problem.

What do you consider a "chippie" at the college level? Today was the first time he missed inside 40, I believe.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What do you consider a "chippie" at the college level? Today was the first time he missed inside 40, I believe.

certainly under 40 especially with his leg.  the TCU misses were 42 and 43.  the bottom line is he has to work thru a technique issue or he won't be consistent. that is my point.

to be clear, the bigger problem is we aren't shitstomping baylor and forcing our kicker to make FG's.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the left hash is the preferred hash for right footed kickers precisely because it helps eliminate draw.

yep. I'm sure he's working on it to his credit he made the biggest kick of the year and his misses haven't cost us a game.   he's a frosh and we need to quit putting the game in his hands.  all we needed today was one TD in the 2nd half to put the game away and we couldn't do it.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep. I'm sure he's working on it to his credit he made the biggest kick of the year and his misses haven't cost us a game.   he's a frosh and we need to quit putting the game in his hands.  all we needed today was one TD in the 2nd half to put the game away and we couldn't do it.

Hell all we needed was points of any kind. We bogged down in the redzone too many times today. I agree with not wanting to rely on a kicker, especially a freshman. After he missed the 35yd and really wasn't even close, I did not have much confidence in the 50yd FG he attempted late in the 4th. 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Maybe its his grip.  I have the same problem.  :) 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

dude isn't really a freshman anymore.  he needs to quit missing easy field goals.

Both were close (like within 25 yards) and from the right hash, correct?  He needs to work on it that’s true but if you know that’s a problem spot for him we need to do a better job setting up the kick where he wants it.

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

Both were close (like within 25 yards) and from the right hash, correct?  He needs to work on it that’s true but if you know that’s a problem spot for him we need to do a better job setting up the kick where he wants it.

i think we have been doing a better job of setting up kicks but there are some situations where you don't really have a chance to. that short kick from the right hash definitely requires a different set up to the ball and a different stroke. just have to keep working at those type kicks in practice and get a groove.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...