Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

I watched the full thing this morning. Beto looked good, could have been better. Cruz looked good to idiots who believe his fear mongering.

Rewatched the part about the second amendment. Beto owned that interchange for anyone with half a brain.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Dude, you wouldn't know charm if it fell out of a tree and hit you upside your head.

Personal insults aside, I didn’t see what all of the fuss is about. Cruz looked far more composed and I’m less pessimistic about his chances now. 

Edited by Chrispy
Day drinking

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Personal insults aside, I didn’t see what all of the fuss is about. Cruz looked far more composed and I’m less pessimistic about his chances now. 

To be honest, it's your avatar in conjunction with your posts that I disagree with that really get under my skin. One or the other would be fine. Both, however, is too much for my delicate constitution.

P.S. I'm also daydrinking in preparation for watching the game as I wait for Favor to deliver me a jalapeno cheeseburger w/ curly fries from Dan's. So, yeah, I'm getting a bit surly. My apologies.

• Like 1

To be honest, it's your avatar in conjunction with your posts that I disagree with that really get under my skin. One or the other would be fine. Both, however, is too much for my delicate constitution.
P.S. I'm also daydrinking in preparation for watching the game as I wait for Favor to deliver me a jalapeno cheeseburger w/ curly fries from Dan's. So, yeah, I'm getting a bit surly. My apologies.

Completely agree regarding a Chrispy.

Beto wants to take your guns he doesn’t support the second amendment, he wants free borders and cares more about blacks than police officers, he agrees with Hillary and wants liberal activist judges.

#redmeat

28 minutes ago, troph said:

Beto wants to take your guns he doesn’t support the second amendment, he wants free borders and cares more about blacks than police officers, he agrees with Hillary and wants liberal activist judges.

#redmeat

Who doesn’t like red meat? 

1 hour ago, troph said:

Oh, I don’t know those of us who think AR-15 assault rifles and military grade ammo should be unlawful, those of us who think defending the constitution means standing up for the oppressed and invoking equal protection and due process for those the powerful try to stampede, those of us that think turning away billions for Texas Medicaid to score political points is a travesty and those of us who think corporate welfare has gone too far. Those of us that think being Texan and gay is as true as being Texan and loving country music, those of us that think ripping communities apart with a wall that isn’t necessary and those of us that believe young people who have known no other country but the US through no fault of their own should not be deported. Those of us that think systematic disenfranchisement is wrong and those of us that believe criminal justice reform isn’t just a neat idea it’s mandatory to be true to our American ideals. Actually a lot of us.

I agree with you about being gay, but everywhere else we’re going to disagree. I feel very good about casting my vote for Cruz. 

• Fuck You 5

35 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I just saw a Ted Cruz commercial. Not a huge surprise obviously, except for the simple fact that I’m in god damn Manhattan. The New York kind. Where he’s not running. WTF

Was this on television or on an app that you're using to watch Hulu or a football game?

3 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

I just saw a Ted Cruz commercial. Not a huge surprise obviously, except for the simple fact that I’m in god damn Manhattan. The New York kind. Where he’s not running. WTF

Yeah, just saw my  first Cruz commercial in WA state.  Promptly donated to Beto.  Thanks for reminding me what a creep you are Ted.

• Like 7

I found a video on youtube (linked below) that claims Ted is lying about his account of his sister's death as she died of combined drug intoxication from prescription drugs that were legally (but erroneously) prescribed. She technically did not overdose. She also was not addicted to the drugs she was taking, nor was she known to be taking recreational drugs at that time. She did have a previous history of actual drug abuse, but Ted has apparently fabricated this story to pull out in just such situations.

https://youtu.be/APiaJ1Sxmv4

I seem to recall Beto making a weed legalization point about how opioids are currently prescribed where medical marijuana might otherwise be (for pain management).  That would be an actual thing that would help with the drug epidemic, since the most straightforward path to addiction/overdose for otherwise law abiding middle Americans is a pain script.  That's how normal fucking people ruin their lives with pills and heroin.  But Cruz wants to score points on some assertion that Beto didn't approve more funding for DEA agents to arrest brown people.  Because that is what will fix the problem.

^^ slight correction, in the debate what he was harping on was that Beto 9 years ago suggested debating the topic of legalizing all drugs.  I thought Ted was supposed to have a libertarian bent but whatever - he advocated debating it and certainly doesn't advocate doing it now (and he didn't then, either).  I think there was another instance either in the debate or somewhere else where Cruz attacked Beto on the same topic and pointed to different positions on increasing funding for the war of drugs, but I'm not sure where that was.

3 hours ago, Mole said:

What's the source of the "debating legalizing all drugs" thing? That exchange was weirder than the most exchanges involving Ted Cruz.

in 2009 on the El Paso city council he called for a complete re-examination of the war on drugs (that's cute) including a debate on complete legalization.  Of course, no serious person could confuse that with actual support of total legalization, then or now, but Cruz is not trying to convince serious people with this line of argument.

So Politifact covered it. Some relevant quotes from Beto:

"And I’d ask that there be some language in here that would also include advocating, or looking at, rethinking our War on Drugs, which by any measure I’ve looked it has been an abject failure. And also, looking at ending the prohibition on narcotics in the United States. And I’m not saying that we need to do that – to end the prohibition. I think we need to have a serious discussion about doing that, and that may, in the end, be the right course of action."

He later addressed it:

"It was an artless, and even inaccurate amendment to the larger resolution (I only learned later that marijuana is not a narcotic, even though it was precisely that drug that I felt people would be most open to debating), but it got the point across.

"I knew we were addressing a taboo topic, one that conventional wisdom dictated that only potheads, hard-core libertarians and political suicides ever brought up. But I also knew that Juarez had gone beyond the pale and it was time to place all options on the table, even those that had been unthinkable, for me as well as others, just a year ago."

And the offending resolution: http://legacy.elpasotexas.gov/muni_clerk/agenda/01-13-09/011309ADD2B.pdf

And the Austin Chronicle article from Politifact: https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2009-01-12/724951/

O'Rourke told the Times that he was "not advocating the use of illegal drugs," but notes that by every objective standard -- including the "ready availability of almost any drug anyone would want to purchase" -- the War on Drugs has been a "complete failure."

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

O'Rourke told the Times that he was "not advocating the use of illegal drugs," but notes that by every objective standard -- including the "ready availability of almost any drug anyone would want to purchase" -- the War on Drugs has been a "complete failure."

This. This. This. 

Drugs are easy to get. Nothing law enforcement does is going to change that.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, bolverk said:

Dude hes a troll. He talks very reasonable to continue to troll. It’s what he is and what he does. I like to converse with the guy when he engages but only with keeping that fact in mind. Don’t let his bullshit get to you in any way. Just troll him back.