Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

https://www.eater.com/2018/9/19/17880006/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-texas-senate-banning-barbecue-tofu-masculinity

Suggesting a man likes tofu carries a clear message: He’s not a man at all, and he seeks to emasculate you, too. Cruz’s warning about tofu is the equivalent of calling O’Rourke a soy boy, a meme that declares a man so besotted with feminine thinking he consumes a food that supposedly messes with the hormones that make him a man. This is an especially telling insult coming from a candidate who, during the 2016 election, endorsed Trump after the presidential candidate insulted his wife, his family, and every other aspect of his masculinity.

Meghan McCarron is Eater’s special correspondent and a former Texas resident who believes the true plant-protein scourge is beans in chili.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Got into an argument with some drunk Aussie a few weeks ago, slurring at me how Australia, by virtue of compulsory voting if you're registered, is more democratic than the U.S.

I had no disagreements. You register, you vote, or you get fined.  Even if you show up, submit a blank ballot, and walk out - you fucking participated.

an argument with no disagreements?

How unsurly of you...

I think I have missed one or two primary elections in my adulthood. Never a presidential and I don't believe any major Congressional seats were at stake.  Sometimes when i go vote, it feels like I just went through the motions and did not feel "motivated" or certainly not "excited" about my choices.  Yet and still, I feel a deep sense of civic duty to go and vote.  I feel it is respect/ homage for those who have given everything so that we might vote.  Admittedly Pollyannic, but that's how it is for me.

Why do minority groups have a lower participation in elections?  Not worth the time?  Distrust of gov't? Social pressure not to participate, either from friend or foe?

I ask this with the utmost in sincerity.  Not looking for a gotcha or anything like that.

My fiancee is white (actually assiniboine with a bit of japanese but she looks white with maybe a little ambiguity) but comes from a fairly broke "white trash" family.  I don't know if this is the thing but I was often frustrated early in our relationship about how fucking difficult everything was.  Her car wasn't reliable, "running low on money" meant digging through couch cushions for change to try and make it till Friday, she had no family support.  Somebody broke into her car and took her wallet - getting her to acquire a new driver's license was a massive pain in the ass.  Yeah just pop over to a DMV office during banking hours, nbd.  Miss work or class, hope you don't get pulled over for one of the many things wrong with your car (ah shit it needs a new belt).  Or just ask your mom for help.  Oh, same fucking deal with her.  No social pressure to get your shit together either because nobody else has their shit together.

I dunno, I'm not sure I can describe in detail how every little thing was so much bigger of a roadblock, and she's in a way better place now than before.  But it gave me a lot of perspective about how much more difficult it is when you're broke af.  And actually broke, no credit card broke, shitty hourly job broke, not "I am low on cash reserves for the next week and need to be more prudent with my choices" broke.

btw, she's never voted before, claims it's because she always felt like it didn't matter.  even before this election, I gave her massive amounts of shit any time she would talk about anything political.  she's way on board at this point.  went from not sure about having a bumper sticker on my truck in the driveway to bumper stickers everywhere, sign in the yard, bugging the rest of her family to vote, donating money, voter deputy registrar, etc.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I’m wondering if has to do with educational background and income. For example, do low income whites vote more than low income minorities? What about high income for both?

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

My fiancee is white (actually assiniboine with a bit of japanese but she looks white with maybe a little ambiguity) but comes from a fairly broke "white trash" family.  I don't know if this is the thing but I was often frustrated early in our relationship about how fucking difficult everything was.  Her car wasn't reliable, "running low on money" meant digging through couch cushions for change to try and make it till Friday, she had no family support.  Somebody broke into her car and took her wallet - getting her to acquire a new driver's license was a massive pain in the ass.  Yeah just pop over to a DMV office during banking hours, nbd.  Miss work or class, hope you don't get pulled over for one of the many things wrong with your car (ah shit it needs a new belt).  Or just ask your mom for help.  Oh, same fucking deal with her.  No social pressure to get your shit together either because nobody else has their shit together.

I dunno, I'm not sure I can describe in detail how every little thing was so much bigger of a roadblock, and she's in a way better place now than before.  But it gave me a lot of perspective about how much more difficult it is when you're broke af.  And actually broke, no credit card broke, shitty hourly job broke, not "I am low on cash reserves for the next week and need to be more prudent with my choices" broke.

'When the system is broken for them, why should they invest in the system with attention or energy?' mindset has got to play into it.  I would think to a lot of people they see American politics as a game for white people to play to control the rules of said game.  Why bother with trying to play when it's rigged against you?   From early on, only white, property owning men were allowed to vote.  Slowly, begrudgingly this has given way to where we are now.   Still every step along the way has been to stifle the power of the minority vote, recently with gerrymandering.  

Women have made big strides towards voter equality, but not so much the minorities.  I think fighting a system where the goalposts are moved often tends to cultivate apathy towards the system.  And that is passed down from generation to generation.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

btw, she's never voted before, claims it's because she always felt like it didn't matter.  even before this election, I gave her massive amounts of shit any time she would talk about anything political.  she's way on board at this point.  went from not sure about having a bumper sticker on my truck in the driveway to bumper stickers everywhere, sign in the yard, bugging the rest of her family to vote, donating money, voter deputy registrar, etc.

Both of my older brothers still live that way.  I have no idea why they do that shit, and we grew up in the same house.

Need a kit to fix the toilet?  Hold their hand and practically kidnap them to Home Depot and then show them how easily they could have fixed the toilet 6 months ago if they'd just get off their ass.  Both of them are gainfully employed and have been, but if life disrupts their routine, all bets are off.

I THINK i get where you are coming from, so might you be suggesting environment( socially) is not conducive to getting people out to vote?  Do they think it matters?

4 hours ago, slorch said:

an argument with no disagreements?

How unsurly of you...

I think I have missed one or two primary elections in my adulthood. Never a presidential and I don't believe any major Congressional seats were at stake.  Sometimes when i go vote, it feels like I just went through the motions and did not feel "motivated" or certainly not "excited" about my choices.  Yet and still, I feel a deep sense of civic duty to go and vote.  I feel it is respect/ homage for those who have given everything so that we might vote.  Admittedly Pollyannic, but that's how it is for me.

Why do minority groups have a lower participation in elections?  Not worth the time?  Distrust of gov't? Social pressure not to participate, either from friend or foe?

I ask this with the utmost in sincerity.  Not looking for a gotcha or anything like that.

Maybe they feel like it doesn't matter, isn't worth their time, and perhaps a dash of government distrust?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Both of my older brothers still live that way.  I have no idea why they do that shit, and we grew up in the same house.

Need a kit to fix the toilet?  Hold their hand and practically kidnap them to Home Depot and then show them how easily they could have fixed the toilet 6 months ago if they'd just get off their ass.  Both of them are gainfully employed and have been, but if life disrupts their routine, all bets are off.

I THINK i get where you are coming from, so might you be suggesting environment( socially) is not conducive to getting people out to vote?  Do they think it matters?

I used to be that way. Then at some point I matured. What you are describing is immaturity. Caused by nature or nurture? That's above my pay grade.

• Like 1

Suggesting a man likes tofu carries a clear message: He’s not a man at all, and he seeks to emasculate you, too. Cruz’s warning about tofu is the equivalent of calling O’Rourke a soy boy, a meme that declares a man so besotted with feminine thinking he consumes a food that supposedly messes with the hormones that make him a man. This is an especially telling insult coming from a candidate who, during the 2016 election, endorsed Trump after the presidential candidate insulted his wife, his family, and every other aspect of his masculinity.

hqdefault.jpg

Dinnertime at the Cruz's.... Texas Tough salad eater.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I'm suggesting that it is in some part that, compounded with the actual degree of chaos in their lives and the larger degree of commitment/effort it actually does take.  All those three things together make a combined "maybe/eh/fuck that/when is it?/how do i?/today?/i missed it?" level of engagement with the voting process.

My fiancee got more engaged I think in no small part due to seeing herself differently, as part of a different social group/strata where voting is encouraged and important and she has the power and responsibility to do it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

You're saying two different things.  You're saying that the poll should be predictive.  It's not intended to be.  Polls give you a snapshot of what the race is like today.  What it will be in six weeks is a different issue.  

The snapshot today is that Abbott is pretty comfortable, by virtue of having majority support.  And his margin is outside the margin of error.  So if the race were held today, he would win, barring a polling error.

From a purely predictive standpoint, there is relatively little uncertainty in this race, owing to the relatively low number of undecideds.  So to the extent we use this as a predictive tool, we can comfortably say that Abbott is very likely to win.

So with which of those conclusions do you disagree?

And by the way--nothing's going to help with R complacency.  Because they're so anti-science and anti-information, they just listen to their orange god.  "Red Wave!"

I’ll say that given a few things: his last result (winning by 21%), his reputation (relatively untouched by POTUS), his opponent, and the makeup of Texas voters, that I am extremely skeptical of any poll that indicates a 9 point gap at this time. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I’ll say that given a few things: his last result (winning by 21%), his reputation (relatively untouched by POTUS), his opponent, and the makeup of Texas voters, that I am extremely skeptical of any poll that indicates a 9 point gap at this time. 

Nine points sounds about exactly right given all of the things you indicated. 

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Without a doubt, you have different worries when you have fewer resources.  As with your story, I have family members that a broken car creates ridiculous amount of problems, including practically begging others for help.  Of course, they don't want to hear your advice when they are thinking about buying the 15 year old benz but that is another story.  

Some people don't think further than this afternoon.  I need money for dinner, the car is going to be repo'ed by Friday, the kid needs $20 for a school event, etc.

Voting rarely has an immediate impact on your life.   For the people living entirely today, they haven't given any thought about how a politician can affect their life.  Why waste 20 minutes going to vote, and you know what, I now remember that I forgot to register when I told myself 6 months that I would.  I definitely will register for the next election.  What's for lunch today, the pantry is empty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Beto betting that people will elect based on nuance instead of the headlines.  Jason Bateman/Dodgeball gif should go here.

He's currently losing. The only way for him to win is to get people who normally don't vote to turn out in large numbers.

Pissing off reactionary wypipo is a good way to do that. He's not going to lose the college educated wypipo who put signs in their yards.

27 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Beto betting that people will elect based on nuance instead of the headlines.  Jason Bateman/Dodgeball gif should go here.

Perhaps different questions come up at a Prairie View A&M Q&A than in Amarillo but social media makes this a small world.  As much as Beto wants to provide thoughtful answers, you don't want to help Cruz GOTV.   If you're already a Beto supporter, odds are low that a speech like this will flip you over to Cruz.  If you a Cruz supporter that wasn't going to vote, calling the police the "new Jim Crow" may convince you to show up on election day.  

However Beto also is trying to help get African-American voters behind him.  Generally speaking, precincts that have high concentrations of minority voters, the turnout is low.   And it doesn't matter much in a statewide election if you get 95% of a precinct but practically no one voted.  You need to run up the volume in these precincts.  Beto needs to engage with PV A&M students to get them to talk with their parents, grandparents, cousins, etc.    

I understand what he's doing but it's a fine fine line to walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Another strong position. Is he trying to lose?

Fake headline is fake, don't be a sucker. Here's the quote, tell me what part you think isn't true:

"That injustice, to many more people here than I know firsthand, continues to persist today. That system of suspending somebody, solely based on the color of their skin; searching that person solely based on the color of their skin; stopping that person solely based on the color of their skin; shooting that person solely based on the color of their skin; throwing the book at that person and letting them rot behind bars solely based on the color of their skin, is why some have called this, I think it is an apt description, the new Jim Crow."

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 8

Drove up to Dallas today. Took 281. Saw cruz signs, no Beto signs through burnet and lampasas. Hit a whole slew of Beto in Hico. Or maybe it was Hamilton. Just kinda jumped out. Saw more Cruz signs on that drive than I have in all of Austin area. And the count was low either way. 
Huge Beto sign on side of a house on west side of 281 on north side of Lampasas. Kind of easy to miss cuz it's just behind a gas station. Also Beto yard sign west side 281 north side Burnet, unless Heidi's been getting around.

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fake headline is fake, don't be a sucker. Here's the quote, tell me what part you think isn't true:

"That injustice, to many more people here than I know firsthand, continues to persist today. That system of suspending somebody, solely based on the color of their skin; searching that person solely based on the color of their skin; stopping that person solely based on the color of their skin; shooting that person solely based on the color of their skin; throwing the book at that person and letting them rot behind bars solely based on the color of their skin, is why some have called this, I think it is an apt description, the new Jim Crow."

true.  also not a comment that's limited or specifically about police.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Another strong position. Is he trying to lose?

Are you new to the Shag/ Surly?

These comments are right in his base’s wheelhouse. Everybody think they NWA...

26 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I read the quote, watched the video. It’s in the link. 

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Pretty much this. I think he’s in this for the fame/money/prestige after the loss. Trying to make a name for himself nationally. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1