The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

15 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This bitch should have never been elected, but carpetbagged off of her old man's name.  She's just the worst.

http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/rep-cheney-accuses-tribes-of-destroying-our-western-way-of-life-over-sacred-grizzly-protections/

Hide contents

“So, in striving to protect our culture, our religious and spiritual freedoms, our sovereignty and our treaty rights – all of which are encapsulated in the grizzly issue – we are ‘destroying’ Cheney’s idea of the ‘Western way of life’?” questioned Rodgers. “I would remind the Congresswoman that at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition an estimated 10,000 grizzly bears roamed from the Missouri River to the Pacific Coast. That was all Indian Country. Now there are fewer than 2,000 grizzly bears and our people live in Third World conditions on meager reservations in the poorest counties in the US. Does she really want to talk about ‘destroying’ a ‘way of life’?” asked Rodgers.

“Unfortunately, it comes as no surprise that recent attempts by the Administration to remove protections for the grizzly, as well as blatant disregard for proper Tribal consultation, warrant our attention,” commented Congressman Joe Neguse (D-CO), who chaired the hearing on HR 2532. Rodgers’ written response to a question by Rep. Neguse traces contemporary wildlife management practices employed by the USFWS and the states back to the Doctrine of Discovery. The account, which has been widely praised by organizations including Sierra Club and Earth Justice, is posted in the Congressional Record (https://docs.house.gov/meetings/II/II13/20190515/109483/HHRG-116-II13-20190515-QFR003.pdf).

“That response is vital for our people. I urge everybody to read it. We must be aware of where, why and how the status-quo came to be and understand that these actions consistently undermine tribal sovereignty and disenfranchise our people,” said Lynnette Grey Bull, Senior Vice President of Global Indigenous Council, who also testified at the hearing.

Grey Bull resides on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming, among Cheney’s constituents. Both the Northern Arapaho Tribe and Eastern Shoshone Tribe passed official resolutions and issued numerous communications opposing the delisting and trophy hunting of the grizzly bear. The Northern Arapaho Business Council was compelled to issue a “Cease and Desist” letter to the Department of Interior “regarding consistent misrepresentations of the Northern Arapaho Tribe’s position on grizzly delisting.”

Cheney contends that, “the ruling that forced today’s action was both needless and harmful to the ecosystem, which is why I introduced legislation earlier this year to reinstate the original, science-based decision by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to delist the grizzly and prevent future court action on the delisting, returning management of the grizzly back to the state where it belongs.”

Tribal Nations, including the Oglala Sioux Tribe which petitioned for a Congressional inquiry into the influence of multi-national fossil-fuel corporations on FWS’s grizzly delisting decision, previously exposed the role of extractive industry in the process. USFWS engaged multinational oil and gas services group, Amec Foster Wheeler, for the peer review of its grizzly delisting rule that tribes and environmental groups deconstructed in court. Amec Foster Wheeler appointed Halliburton executive Jonathan Lewis as CEO in the same timeframe as USFWS contracted the company.

“That puts ‘harmful to the ecosystem’ into its true context,” responded Rodgers. “The Cheney family’s connections to Halliburton hardly needs elaborating upon,” added Chief Stan Grier, President of the Blackfoot Confederacy Chiefs. Grier and Blackfeet Chairman, Tim Davis, are at the forefront of the effort to stop the grizzly being delisted and trophy hunted in the Glacier National Park region, the heartland of Blackfoot Confederacy territory.

Cheney’s attempt to legislatively “prevent future court action on the delisting” was previously challenged by a coalition of tribes in testimony to the US Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

“Any attempt . . . to legislatively nullify the Court’s ruling in Crow Tribe et al v. Zinke– to once again strip ESA protections from the grizzly bear – will, in addition to defying the Court, suborn the federal-Indian trust responsibility.  Given that the Constitution states, ‘all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land,’ the rights of Indian tribes cannot be treated as ‘temporary and precarious,’ as would be the case if Crow Tribe et al v. Zinke was legislatively subverted,” submitted the RMTLC, the Great Plains Tribal Chairman’s Association and the Blackfoot Confederacy.

“There’s more chance of her father receiving the Nobel Peace Prize than her Grizzly Bear State Management Act reaching the House floor,” said Rodgers of Cheney’s bill.

I mean, this is the same person who threw her sister under the bus to pick up a few votes, so this shouldn't surprise me, but the irony of Liz Cheney lecturing Native Americans on "ruining" her western way of life is just too much.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For somebody who considers themselves a good Christian, your choice of language is fantastic!

spacer.png

I noticed that it's recently become in vogue for Evangelicals to use profanity. It's like it's now acceptable to curse as long as its done with political righteousness. The Evangelicals have adopted Trump's vulgarity, its really fascinating to watch it play out.

Lemme fix that tweet, for integrity:

I don’t know who needs to hear this. But enough goddamn GOP congressional retirements where you meekly walk away. Show some goddamned balls, shout to the world WHY you are leaving, and tell the world that until the GOP cleans up its bullshit, it doesn't DESERVE to take back the majority. 

Stand up and show some backbone. Stand up for some actual principles. Fight toxic Trumpism. Don’t stop fighting it, even after you quit.

• Like 1

It's also interesting how very few R Senators are leaving, except for Corker and Flake who tucked tail. The level of corruption and kompromat must be staggering. Either you're knee deep in corruption and illegality yourself, or your friend is knee deep and you've dipped your toe in the corruption pool.

I would love to know what R Senators know about each other and DOTUS.

20 minutes ago, retread said:

It's also interesting how very few R Senators are leaving, except for Corker and Flake who tucked tail. The level of corruption and kompromat must be staggering. Either you're knee deep in corruption and illegality yourself, or your friend is knee deep and you've dipped your toe in the corruption pool.

I would love to know what R Senators know about each other and DOTUS.

They aren't leaving because they're still in control and there's a better than fair chance they'll maintain that control even if DOTUS goes down.  When you have a leader like Moscow Mitch who increased his income some 800% over the time he's been a Senator, well, the chance of getting the sloppy seconds of something like that is worth sticking around for.  You know, if you have no principles and all.  

31 minutes ago, retread said:

It's also interesting how very few R Senators are leaving

It's not.

The House is not going to flip back.  The Senate is stuck Republican for a while.  Democrats need to pull off some sort of inside straight - win 4, lose only 1 and win the Presidency.  And even then, 50 is precarious - deaths, resignations, cabinet appointments, assholes like Joe Manchin. 

I tend to lean more toward the corruption as a motivating factor, as opposed to having control of the Senate. They are trapped in their positions by their past actions.

If they stay, they have a great deal of control over maintaining power and keeping their indiscretions a secret. Obviously, there's a lot of overlap in those two motivations. 

Js1, you follow it much more closely than I do. Do you think it's just the same ole corruption that's always been a part of the Senate, or is this caucus tainted by Trump-specific illegalities? Or, if not Trump-specific (e.g. NRA money), then Trump-inspired corruption? The idea that they can get away with anything.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, retread said:

I tend to lean more toward the corruption as a motivating factor, as opposed to having control of the Senate. They are trapped in their positions by their past actions.

Yep. That's my thought as well. They're the firewall stopping everything up.

They're filthy and they don't want to go to jail.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, Gil Bang said:

Did Dotard promise Lindsay a good buggering?

So I assume there was and will be absolutely no consequence to ignoring committee rules and decorum?  If the house dems had any balls they would retaliate by making the pubs sit with pacifiers and dunce hats in the corner and absolutely refuse to let them talk in any house committees.

George P sees the writing on the wall here in Texas and where the GOP is gonna have to head if it wants even a semblance of power.

I’m worried that’s being said to separate the shooters from the issue- yeah it’s terrorism but we can’t let the terrorists win by restricting freedom then the terrorists really win.

Yes it’s terrorism and yes we need major gun control legislation too.

40 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m worried that’s being said to separate the shooters from the issue- yeah it’s terrorism but we can’t let the terrorists win by restricting freedom then the terrorists really win.

Yes it’s terrorism and yes we need major gun control legislation too.

I think you are reading too much into what he's saying.

George P. Bush is:

1. Half-Hispanic
  2. A Bush

Two things many Trumpkins loathe these days.  George P. is playing a long game - he knows Trump will be out of power/influence within a few years, and he knows which way Texas is moving.   I think they are good statements - I'm not meaning to diminish them in any way, but he knows the GOP will have to fully embrace Republicans like him in Texas at some point, and he's laying the groundwork.

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

George P. Bush is:

1. Half-Hispanic
  2. A Bush

Two things many Trumpkins loathe these days.  George P. is playing a long game - he knows Trump will be out of power/influence within a few years, and he knows which way Texas is moving.   I think they are good statements - I'm not meaning to diminish them in any way, but he knows the GOP will have to fully embrace Republicans like him in Texas at some point, and he's laying the groundwork.

Emphasis on "game."  He's been a vocal Trump supporter.  Has even called out Trump's rhetoric against Latinos?  

There should be no political forgiveness in the future for any politician who supported Trump. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Emphasis on "game."  He's been a vocal Trump supporter.  Has even called out Trump's rhetoric against Latinos?  

He's hedged his bets, but I think you'll see him start to separate himself as things shake out.   He's catching a whole lot of shit from some on the right over this, but he knew making those statements that he was going to.

He and Abbott were the only Republicans to keep their statewide seats by double-digits last year.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's hedged his bets, but I think you'll see him start to separate himself as things shake out.   He's catching a whole lot of shit from some on the right over this, but he knew making those statements that he was going to.

He and Abbott were the only Republicans to keep their statewide seats by double-digits last year.

No doubt he'll try, but that doesn't mean he isn't full of shit. 

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

No doubt he'll try, but that doesn't mean he isn't full of shit. 

Agreed.  Something in this incident though sparked him to make statements that most of the others (Cornyn, Cruz and Patrick especially, etc.) are unwilling to make, and that he knew would piss off a lot of Trumpkins.

He's 43, and we clearly know he's not going to settle for his current position. 

If the Republicans continue to stumble around this, and/or make things worse, he's in a good position. 

Freepers not happy that Arbusto dared criticize white supremacists.

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3769032/posts

Yes. Because the right is the party of unabashed white supremacy. See how they note that this massacre is ACTUALLY the fault of the people who let brown people into this country.

If you dont think that the GOP hasn’t declared war on every non-white American, that’s only because you personally don’t have a target on your back. For those of us who do, it’s been obvious for a long-ass time.

And when we get pissed about that - about the party in power pouring gasoline on the fire that is burning us as we speak - we’re “crazy” and “unhinged.” That’s where we are. Being fed up with calls for genocide...means we’re crazy. What a fucking country.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Agreed.  Something in this incident though sparked him to make statements that most of the others (Cornyn, Cruz and Patrick especially, etc.) are unwilling to make, and that he knew would piss off a lot of Trumpkins.

He's 43, and we clearly know he's not going to settle for his current position. 

If the Republicans continue to stumble around this, and/or make things worse, he's in a good position. 

Maybe I'm more cynical than you.   But this strikes me as yet another Republican only coming around on an issue when it threatens him personally.   He was fine with Trump blasting illegal immigrants because he isn't an illegal immigrant.   He was fine with Trump blasting Muslims because he isn't a Muslim.   But when white supremacists really start coming for people who resemble him, then he says something. And even then, he doesn't dare criticize Trump's rhetoric. 

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Maybe I'm more cynical than you.   But this strikes me as yet another Republican only coming around on an issue when it threatens him personally.   He was fine with Trump blasting illegal immigrants because he isn't an illegal immigrant.   He was fine with Trump blasting Muslims because he isn't a Muslim.   But when white supremacists really start coming for people who resemble him, then he says something. And even then, he doesn't dare criticize Trump's rhetoric. 

I figure he's just being a political opportunist, but that's a good point about his being personally threatened.  Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if he had some kind of personal security of some type.

And as you can see in that link above, he's catching plenty of flak from the Trumpkins.

George P. Bush is:
  1. Half-Hispanic
  2. A Bush

I’m right if he doesn’t propose real gun control legislation. Blaming others, in this case - white terrorists - allows separation from “them” so that “we” can keep our guns. republicans are talking out both sides of their mouths until they recognize the solution is more gun control not less and taking weapons of war off the streets and out of the hands of even good law abiding citizens.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult