Talk Texas vs Purple Wizard's KState Wildcats

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Texas wins this game by 20, easily... The Wildcats lack the stable of athletes to keep up this year...

Plus, they don't have any 24 yr. olds on the depth chart this year.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I remember when people were saying the same thing about Mack Brown.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

He's already got the fuckin stadium named after him. Not comparable

So true. FUPM Stadium has a different ring to it than Snyder Family Stadium.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

Great Complement on Twitter about how TEXAS is playing...

Drew Davison✔@drewdavison

TCU’s Gary Patterson on Texas: “They’re doing what they need to do on offense to win ballgames, and they're letting their defense win the ballgame for them. It's a good game plan. We know that game plan very well.”

10:48 PM - Sep 22, 2018

Edited by LTtxfan

So...that happened. Playing like it was 1988 all over again, Kansas State lost to West Virginia 35-6, and honestly, it wasn’t even that close.

Here are the usual recaps, in no particular order:

ESPN | Wichita Eagle | Topeka Capital-Journal | Manhattan Mercury | K-State Collegian | Morgantown Dominion-Post | Charleston Gazette

I have no interest in dissecting the actual game. Jon Morse has already offered his thoughts in the official BotC postgamer: West Virginia 35, K-State 6.

Instead, let’s just tackle the 300-pound lineman in the room. Bill Snyder and Kansas State football. In the interest of avoiding the usual discussion points, let’s just stipulate to the following:

• Bill Snyder is the architect of the greatest turnaround in college football. He is deservedly in the Hall of Fame, and he absolutely earned the right to have a stadium, a highway, and possibly a museum named after him. He’s had a direct—and massive—impact on Kansas State University, the community around the school, and the city of Manhattan.
  • He is 212-112-1 as a head coach. Among head coaches who have been in the game more than a decade, the .654 winning percentage puts him in the 90th percentile.
  • He’s widely regarded as an innovator and an offensive genius. He may have invented the zone read. In the past, he’s shown an ability to adapt offensive schemes to the talent available.

But also consider the following:

• He’s 4-34 against teams ranked in the Top 10 and 22-53 against teams ranked in the Top 25.
  • He was recently given a five-year contract extension.
  • He’ll be 79 in a few weeks.

Now let’s talk about Snyder’s post-game remarks yesterday:

1. On his decision to go for it on 4th-and-1 at midfield with the team only down 7-0, Snyder stood by that decision. He’s only mad because he “can’t coach a team that can’t get six inches.”
  2. Questioned on why Kansas State punted in West Virginia territory in the 4th quarter, Snyder insisted he would do it again to avoid putting his defense in a bad spot.
  3. On his quarterbacks, he thought Alex Delton played “extremely well,” whereas Skylar Thompson played “not as well as he’s capable.”
  4. He said the team did not practice well on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Your take may be different, but this feels exactly like a coach throwing his team under the bus. Specifically, it feels like a coach hanging his quarterback out to dry because he prefers the backup.

• Maybe I’m misstating Snyder’s intent here.
  • Maybe he was just frustrated.
  • Maybe he hopes to keep Thompson sufficiently hungry and motivated.
  • Maybe he feels that Thompson, although clearly talented, is not the right guy to make things happen given the rest of the personnel on the team. He’s not wrong on that
  • Maybe he sincerely believes—in his infinite wisdom—that Delton is the better player and will get the start next week against Texas.

But here’s the thing: Thompson was surprised that he was benched. I don’t know enough about the politics of this locker room to speculate, but Snyder keeping both his quarterbacks in this constant state of limbo can’t be good for either player, or for team morale. I worry—as I did with Jesse Ertz last year—that this coaching staff will break Thompson, both physically and mentally. That is surely much worse than Thompson deserves. It would not be a surprise to me if Thompson, or Delton, for that matter, chose to ply their trade at a different program next season.

The rebuttal to all this is “In Snyder We Trust.” He’s turned things around before, so of course, he’ll just do that again this time. By the end of the season, he will—once again—seem like a genius while all the naysayers fade into the background.

But lately, the vibe around the program has changed. It no longer feels like Kansas State is taking slow-and-steady steps in the right direction. It actually feels like we’ve abandoned on-field success for building character, a noble endeavor, but not really conducive to winning football games.

It also reflects a failure to understand football as a business where those who fail to evolve also fail to succeed. We’ve already discussed Kansas State’s recruiting woes and how our current approach puts the program behind the 8-ball.

But consider also this Twitter thread from Benevolent Despot Jon Morse:

Bill Snyder succeeded in Manhattan because he paid attention to widespread changes to the CFB structure which made it possible for K-State to become competitive.

He's failing now because he's ignored widespread changes to the CFB structure which are again favoring the elite.

— ʝօռ ʍօʀֆɛ (@jonfmorse) September 22, 2018

But when superrealignment reared its head and the television money became absurd, Snyder completely failed to realize... you gotta get the horses.

He hasn't. He's still treating a multi-billion dollar industry like it's fucking day care.

— ʝօռ ʍօʀֆɛ (@jonfmorse) September 22, 2018

So where do we go from here? I don’t know. I only know that something has to change. Maybe Snyder has to go. Maybe he can’t hold the program to ransom because he has a particular view of its future. Maybe it’s time to burn it all down and start over.

Onwards.

LINK

I’ll never underestimate our ability to play KSU incompetently but it’s time to throw another monkey off our back and kick his ass down the road. Get stops on 3rd down and don’t let these MFers milk 12 minutes of clock on a single offensive series. Their mobile QB concerns me. 

Control both LOS and run the ball

Great Info.... West Virginia won Big even with 3 interceptions (2 Grier) and 1 fumble lost.  KState only had 1 turnover, a fumble.
Kinda wondered as Purple Wizard lost his OC to UTEP,  that this 2018 Team might digress this Season. And some KState fans are ready for Snyder to find a new successor and step aside as long as it's NOT his son Sean.
Fyi...Purple Wizard still has in New contract that he has "appropriate input" into next KState Head Football Coach when he steps down..
Quote:  "There’s little doubt as to why that clause is included. There’s no doubt who Snyder wants.  He has advocated for years for his son Sean, a former Kansas State player and a longtime assistant on his staff..... If the administration had been willing to promote Sean, Bill Snyder might already have retired. But the succession plan appears to be a long shot, which is why tension continues to bubble, just beneath the surface, about what happens when Snyder finally retires. If he ever does."

Well, if he keeps eating Taco Bell, the “problem” would work itself out.
  • Haha 1

Herman needs to win the games hes supposed to win. On paper we should slaughter this year's wildcat team. I hope his focus is on kstate this week and not ousux. it's one thing to get the team hyped for ranked opponents but Im anxious to see if he can have them focused on beating a poor team. 

Edited by Coach pop a bitch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

I could easily see Texas losing this game and then beating OU. Herman'd. 

I've been thinking this since SC game. We would beat TCU, lose to KS and beat the meth hoarders. This year thou KS is bad, but we have also lost to Ron Prince coached team, fucking Ron Prince. This is how we figure if Herman has grown up any. Will he have this team ready to play on the road. Also, fuck whoever makes our schedule.

I don't know, who were the last teams we were supposed to beat easily? The teams that couldn't match our talent... Maryland and Tulsa - those didn't go so well 

So what's the aberration: beating a beaten up TCU team or losing/playing down to less talented teams? 

This game will be tight and Snyder will have his team ready to go.

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Herman needs to win the games hes supposed to win. On paper we should slaughter this year's wildcat team. I hope his focus is on kstate this week and not ousux. it's one thing to get the team hyped for ranked opponents but Im anxious to see if he can have them focused on beating a poor team. 

Fuck yeah, you got it right man. 

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Yeah, well I have seen a lot of Improvement between week 1 and week 4. Imagine if Herman had 800 years to figure things out?  

• Fuck You 1

Texas 3 Wins this Season were all at home. Last Longhorn Win in Manhattan, KS was 2002

Until Horns prove they can Win tough games on the road, Texas will not compete for B12 Championships.

Time to beat "The Purple Wizard" at Snyder Stadium.... HOOK'EM

Edited by LTtxfan

S&P+ has K-State ranked 89th.  By comparison, KU is 88th, Tulsa is 92nd.  Their adjusted offensive rank is 107th (by comparison, TCU is 47th and we're 63rd.  Tulsa is 108th).  Their adjusted defensive rank is 71st (by comparison, we're 26th, TCU is 33rd and USC is 27th.  Tulsa is 70th).

They rank a little better in the FEI (around 60th, overall).  But the point is that K-State is a really shitty football team this year.  We should absolutely manhandle them.

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We should absolutely manhandle them.

I still don't trust this team enough to let my guard down yet.  If we can run the ball and not turn it over, I think we get up early and never take out foot off the gas.  

My Battered-Longhorn-Syndrome is in remission, but not cured yet....

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I still don't trust this team enough to let my guard down yet.  If we can run the ball and not turn it over, I think we get up early and never take out foot off the gas.  

Agree 100%.

They did give up almost 400 yards rushing to Mississippi State.  (And 150 to UTSA, and 110 to WVU on about 25 rushes.)  So hopefully we can run the ball and then hit them with big play action passes when they creep up to try to stop the run.

30 minutes ago, Xian said:

Im fucking worried.  

I'm worried if this team thinks that all of a sudden it's hot shit after the past two games, despite a greater history of ineptitude.  If Herman keeps them focused on Kansas State without even thinking about the following game against OU, and also plays up the motivational fact that Kansas State has owned us in Manhattan (similarly to how TCU has owned us since it joined the Big XII), then I think we'll be fine. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tracer Bullet said:

Literally our one and only victory vs KSU at their house

They are 7-1 all time vs us in Manhattan

This is the team we need to play right now.

We need to prove we can win on the road.

KState is down and not really that good.

Herman can use the 7-1 and no win since 2002 stat to motivate. Hell, that's almost the entire lives of our freshman... Jesus Christ!

This can hopefully keep the kids from buying into the hype and overlooking a team before OU.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

This is the team we need to play right now.

We need to prove we can win on the road.

KState is down and not really that good.

Herman can use the 7-1 and no win since 2002 stat to motivate. Hell, that's almost the entire lives of our freshman... Jesus Christ!

This can hopefully keep the kids from buying into the hype and overlooking a team before OU.

Let's make this group unhappy by defeating KState.....

38b5152effd609d8ec030eb1fc3bcce4e6eb6f51

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I still have Maryland flashbacks from time to time as well. 

I want to see Texas exert its will. 

Heard a stat this morning that we have never won in the Little Apple v the Snyder.  I think we get a heavy dose of Delton.  QB keepers, zone read, quit hitters over middle off play action, in other words the exact Offense that has nailed us vs these guys forever. 

I think this game will go a long way in showing us where we are as a program.  We play like we have played the last 2 weeks and we will do great.  If we revert back to old habits and watch out.  I have been critical of our 2 veteran DE's, but this is the game we need them to step up.  The outside contain is critical and 3rd down they have to get to the QB without letting him escape through the gap.  Im optimistic Wheeler and Johnson can be the difference this year on getting off the field on third down, they have both played lights out.  I love our safety plan too. Locke, Jones and Stearns hopefully will continue the solid open field tackling.  We just need to play simple on offense and move the ball, I dont think they can come back if we get them down 14.

the only thing giving me confidence is this bermuda triangle jinx land that is manhattan is the fact that our defense has actually improved in recent weeks over the week 1 shithole and we are starting to see some no fucks given attitudes appear on some young players.  Players like CJ too hopefully are starting to realize they could be great if they actually just put some effort in and not be entitled scared fucks.   a team that gives no fucks but wants to crush is dangerous.  

im still worried these fuckers are going to look to next week against the midget   they need to go 24-0 at the half for me to start to breathe.

I just can't see us losing this game. Everything I have seen from these teams over the past few weeks tells me that we should absolutely outclass this team. 

That said, if we can win by 1 point in OT I'll rest easy. 

Just get the W, Horns. No dicking around no jitters. Line up and pound this trash ass football team and don't look back.

OU needs to know who's coming for that ass. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just can't see us losing this game. Everything I have seen from these teams over the past few weeks tells me that we should absolutely outclass this team. 

That said, if we can win by 1 point in OT I'll rest easy. 

Just get the W, Horns. No dicking around no jitters. Line up and pound this trash ass football team and don't look back.

OU needs to know who's coming for that ass. 

This. Kstate is trash this year. Herman and company need to show up and impose their will with a greater than 21 point victory. They barely  beat their FCS opponent by 3 points and have been dominated by their P5 opponents. I want to see the Horns run a clinic on these fools so Tom can show us his teams don't play down.

Beat Kansas State to a bloody pulp and let OU know their ass is next. Be a den of fuck lions

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

This. Kstate is trash this year. Herman and company need to show up and impose their will with a greater than 21 point victory. They barely  beat their FCS opponent by 3 points and have been dominated by their P5 opponents. I want to see the Horns run a clinic on these fools so Tom can show us his teams don't play down.

Beat Kansas State to a bloody pulp and let OU know their ass is next. Be a den of fuck lions

I'm cautiously optimistic. As fans we can look ahead with no repercussion. If this team shows up in Dallas 4-1 and foaming at the mouth to go full on Ivan Drago on Kyler the elf and get out of there 5-1 it will be very hard stifle post season ambitions. Not to be a pessimist, but I imagine there's at least one more let down game this season. 

• Like 1

S&P+ has K-State ranked 89th.  By comparison, KU is 88th, Tulsa is 92nd.  Their adjusted offensive rank is 107th (by comparison, TCU is 47th and we're 63rd.  Tulsa is 108th).  Their adjusted defensive rank is 71st (by comparison, we're 26th, TCU is 33rd and USC is 27th.  Tulsa is 70th).
They rank a little better in the FEI (around 60th, overall).  But the point is that K-State is a really shitty football team this year.  We should absolutely manhandle them.
So they grade out as Tulsa-level, who we clearly dominated and at no point were at risk of embarrassingly losing to at home. And they have Wizard in Manhattan. Yep, I feel great.

Tongue in cheek obviously, but I'm definitely in the believe it when I see it camp. They are bad, we should win. But we've laid bigger eggs before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2