Talk Texas vs Purple Wizard's KState Wildcats

LTtxfan

23 hours ago, NowThis said:

2002 with Chris Simms was it?

I was there, drove out from Denver to support the team after a bad loss to OUSUXs.  They stuck us in the Endzone and the place smelled like cow shit as, when the wind blows from the north, it is ode de stockyard.

I was like on the 2nd row and the only thing that was great is us Longhorns screaming our damn fool heads off when KState was marching to score the game winner.  We were so loud that we caused KState to take a delay of the game penalty.  They then had to go for the FG and we blocked and won!

Us fans made a difference that day.  I hope we have some show up this Sat and make a difference again!

Stomp the Kitties!

OUSuxs!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Heard a stat this morning that we have never won in the Little Apple v the Snyder.  I think we get a heavy dose of Delton.  QB keepers, zone read, quit hitters over middle off play action, in other words the exact Offense that has nailed us vs these guys forever. 

Don't need to go back forever, just last year. K-State started gashing our excellent defense when Delton came in and started running QB draw. They were one of our only opponents to successfully neutralize Poona Ford last year. And they chew up so much time doing so, it quickly becomes maddening to keep pace.

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Has KState's defense changed under Seiler?

Valid question.... Both OC and DC different for KState this Season.

Recent KState article:  "Struggles along the offensive and defensive lines are a major culprit, but turnover on the coaching staff is likely a factor as well, as defensive coordinator Tom Hayes retired during the offseason and offensive coordinator Dana Dimel took the head coaching job at UTEP."

This game is a watershed moment for "Purple Wizard" . The natives are restless in Manhattan.  Don't be surprised when  KState  plays their best game this Season vs Texas on Saturday....🤘

1 hour ago, F250 said:

This. Kstate is trash this year. Herman and company need to show up and impose their will with a greater than 21 point victory. They barely  beat their FCS opponent by 3 points and have been dominated by their P5 opponents. I want to see the Horns run a clinic on these fools so Tom can show us his teams don't play down. 

Beat Kansas State to a bloody pulp and let OU know their ass is next. Be a den of fuck lions

You're going to be disappointed. And honestly I'm fine with any kind of W in Manhattan. That place has not been good to us.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You're going to be disappointed. And honestly I'm fine with any kind of W in Manhattan. That place has not been good to us.

It hasn't been good to us and that's all been Snyder's doing. I believe the end is near for the Snyder era. They had a recent turnover in coaching and have a pretty shallow roster. On paper, there is no reason for this game to be close. Its up to Herman to break the spell of the purple wizard. I'm sure Snyder is going to be ready but Herman must show us that it's a new era in Texas football.

Not afraid of the purple kitties, but it is good to have a healthy dose of respect for them.  They are fundamentally sound and generally well-coached, and they will capitalize if an opponent beats itself with turnovers and stupid penalties.  The Purple Wizard is a legend.  If the Texas team who beat USC and TCU shows up, I expect good things for the Longhorns.  If the Texas team who lost to Maryland and nearly lost to Tulsa shows up, it could be a long day.  My biggest fear is that this could be a trap game, don't get caught looking ahead to 0U.

Feel like we play up or down to the competition. Shit needs to stop. Im feeling pretty confident in our defense holding them in check. So as long as our offense doesn't shit the bed, this would be a good statement game to build on. Ill be disappointed if this game isnt safely put away by early in the 2nd half.

While I do get the tremendous respect for the Purple Wizard, context is always key when it comes to K-State. This is only the 2nd time in the Big 12 Texas rolls into Manhattan as a favorite, the other of course being 2006. The other trips there UT has ranged from small to big underdog and in almost all cases (except 2002), K-State was the better team (as has been pointed out UT did not play them during Mack Brown's 5 best seasons - 2001, 2005, 2005, 2008, 2009). In fact, Snyder has only beaten UT once as an underdog - 1999 when Texas was a slight favorite at home. That was the infamous "Apple Turnover" game and that Wildcat team was loaded with NFL talent like Darren Sproles. Point being is that Snyder's teams have largely beaten Texas when they were supposed to and lost in the last few years('13, '15, and '17) in Austin to Texas teams that they were evenly matched with or lesser than. (I still can't explain Ron Prince though).

That being said, this is one of the worst K-State teams in a while and they look like they don't have very many dudes. Watching them play Miss State was painful and although I didn't see the WVa game, it sounded like it could have been 56-3 had WVa not been so sloppy with the ball. However this is college football and there is a path to victory for KState as follows:

On offense, I would expect KState to roll out with Alex Delton and feature a lot of QB run game, opportunistic RPO's, and a game plan designed to get yards in small to medium sized chunks. They want to find themselves in 3rd and 4 type situations repeatedly. KState needs to possess for 36+ minutes and they want 10+ play type drives that even if they don't result in big points each time, they take precious time off the clock and keep Texas offense off the field. They want to be in the game in the 4th quarter where Texas could give up a big play that could result in a win for them. Keeping the UT offense off the field and limiting the number of plays run will force UT to be more perfect on offense, which Texas hasn't shown it can be that consistent for 4 quarters. They should want to see if Texas has earned anything since Maryland. 

On defense, KSU will absolutely sell out to stop the run, especially since they don't have the dudes to stop the run in standard and light formations. If they come out in standard or light box looks, Texas could roll up 250+ on the ground pretty easily and that is not a path to victory for KSU. So load the box, win on first and second down and put Texas in 3rd and long situations. UT is only 38% on the season on 3rd down conversions. KSU is giving up close to 50% on the season, but if they consistently get the offense in 3rd and 7+, they will do better than that number. We will know what kind of game this will be in the first 20 minutes. Roll out to a 14-0 lead early forces them out of their strategy and may push them back to Skyler Thompson and an offense Texas can easily defend. If Texas struggles early, strap in for a tight game into the 4th quarter.

At rough glance, they should have the advantage on special teams........Texas gave back a lot against TCU that puts UT at average to below average for the season. Good news  is Texas hasn't faced a team that has had exceptional special teams nor played exceptionally in the game itself. 

Will any of this happen? Hard to say. K-State will have to play its absolute best and hope that Texas is sluggish and makes the kind of mistakes made against Maryland. Anything short of that, Texas wins easily. Texas also played pretty well in hostile environments last year (USC, ISU, WVa) so I don't think going on the road should faze this team. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Arguably, the only rest easy games this team has are Baylor and Kansas...and given recent history with those two..who knows.

At least the game isn't at 11AM., which is nice.

Baylor is back to being the state-sponsored rented mule. They had a cute run with Briles and RG but they ain't doing shit anymore. 

6 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

Will any of this happen? Hard to say. K-State will have to play its absolute best and hope that Texas is sluggish and makes the kind of mistakes made against Maryland. Anything short of that, Texas wins easily. Texas also played pretty well in hostile environments last year (USC, ISU, WVa) so I don't think going on the road should faze this team. 

KSU has and always will scare the crap out of me until proven otherwise.  Still, this assessment is spot on.  Texas is making strides, and needs to come out and punch them square in the mouth.  Teams have forgotten to "fear" Texas.  It's time to change that.  Texas psyche is not completely healed (players, and fans) from YOY dick-punches from lesser teams.  Time to start making statements.  Beating teams mercilessly.  Scoring.  Scoring again.  And again.  Having the other team essentially know your gameplan, and being unable to stop it.  Fuck everyone!  We're Texas....

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Baylor is back to being the state-sponsored rented mule. They had a cute run with Briles and RG but they ain't doing shit anymore. 

They still have the schedules Briles set up - I was worried they might be on the road back to "respect" since they're 3-1 until I saw who they've actually played: https://baylorbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=553

16 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

While I do get the tremendous respect for the Purple Wizard, context is always key when it comes to K-State. This is only the 2nd time in the Big 12 Texas rolls into Manhattan as a favorite, the other of course being 2006. The other trips there UT has ranged from small to big underdog and in almost all cases (except 2002), K-State was the better team (as has been pointed out UT did not play them during Mack Brown's 5 best seasons - 2001, 2005, 2005, 2008, 2009). In fact, Snyder has only beaten UT once as an underdog - 1999 when Texas was a slight favorite at home. That was the infamous "Apple Turnover" game and that Wildcat team was loaded with NFL talent like Darren Sproles. Point being is that Snyder's teams have largely beaten Texas when they were supposed to and lost in the last few years('13, '15, and '17) in Austin to Texas teams that they were evenly matched with or lesser than. (I still can't explain Ron Prince though). 

That being said, this is one of the worst K-State teams in a while and they look like they don't have very many dudes. Watching them play Miss State was painful and although I didn't see the WVa game, it sounded like it could have been 56-3 had WVa not been so sloppy with the ball. However this is college football and there is a path to victory for KState as follows: 

On offense, I would expect KState to roll out with Alex Delton and feature a lot of QB run game, opportunistic RPO's, and a game plan designed to get yards in small to medium sized chunks. They want to find themselves in 3rd and 4 type situations repeatedly. KState needs to possess for 36+ minutes and they want 10+ play type drives that even if they don't result in big points each time, they take precious time off the clock and keep Texas offense off the field. They want to be in the game in the 4th quarter where Texas could give up a big play that could result in a win for them. Keeping the UT offense off the field and limiting the number of plays run will force UT to be more perfect on offense, which Texas hasn't shown it can be that consistent for 4 quarters. They should want to see if Texas has earned anything since Maryland. 

On defense, KSU will absolutely sell out to stop the run, especially since they don't have the dudes to stop the run in standard and light formations. If they come out in standard or light box looks, Texas could roll up 250+ on the ground pretty easily and that is not a path to victory for KSU. So load the box, win on first and second down and put Texas in 3rd and long situations. UT is only 38% on the season on 3rd down conversions. KSU is giving up close to 50% on the season, but if they consistently get the offense in 3rd and 7+, they will do better than that number. We will know what kind of game this will be in the first 20 minutes. Roll out to a 14-0 lead early forces them out of their strategy and may push them back to Skyler Thompson and an offense Texas can easily defend. If Texas struggles early, strap in for a tight game into the 4th quarter. 

At rough glance, they should have the advantage on special teams........Texas gave back a lot against TCU that puts UT at average to below average for the season. Good news  is Texas hasn't faced a team that has had exceptional special teams nor played exceptionally in the game itself.  

good post except sproles wasn't on their 99 team...ironically, he was on the 02 and 03 teams that we beat along with ell roberson.

99 was stacked though...david allen, beasley, quincy morgan, mark simoneau, terrence newman, darren howard, ben leber...all 11 starters on their defense was drafted between the 1st and 5th rounds.  ridiculous.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They still have the schedules Briles set up - I was worried they might be on the road back to "respect" since they're 3-1 until I saw who they've actually played: https://baylorbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=553

Lulz.  I haven't paid one minute's attention to Baylor this year.  I'm kinda surprised they beat UTSA.  We should donkey kick them in Austin.

Forgot about this.....  Probably a strong reason why Bill Snyder is still coaching..... It's a way he can help his son Sean....  Such a tragedy.

Grandson of K-State coach Bill Snyder, son of Sean Snyder dies at 22

BY KELLIS ROBINETT

Updated January 18, 2018 03:44 PM

MANHATTAN 

Matthew Snyder, the grandson of Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder and son of K-State special teams coordinator Sean Snyder, died Wednesday in Manhattan, Riley County police confirmed Thursday morning.

He was 22.

Matthew Snyder died at his home in Manhattan on Wednesday. Riley County police responded to an emergency call on the 3300 block of Claflin Avenue at 1:10 p.m. and are currently investigating an unattended death at the location, according to police spokeswoman Hali Rowland. No one else was injured and no foul play is expected.

Earlier Thursday, Rowland told other news outlets that Riley County police were treating the death as a suicide.

Edited by LTtxfan

From 2010 to present, playing KSU has been very similar to our games against TCU.  Neither team is going to beat itself, and during that time period we were a team that generally was willing to beat itself as often as not.  Now, in several years TCU has garnered the athletes and scheme necessary to beat you straight up (TCU in 2014, 2015, and 2017), even when a team plays its best game.  But in other years TCU has still been beatable when a team plays fundamentally sound (I'm thinking 2012, 2013, and 2016).

But from 2010 to present, we just haven't been a good enough program not to be totally willing and able to beat ourselves.  Hopefully, the last two weeks show that we are learning how to play the TCU/KSU style of playing "clean" games where we don't gift victories to our opponents.

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Forgot about this.....  Probably a strong reason why Bill Snyder is still coaching..... It's a way he can help his son Sean....  Such a tragedy.

Grandson of K-State coach Bill Snyder, son of Sean Snyder dies at 22

BY KELLIS ROBINETT

Updated January 18, 2018 03:44 PM

MANHATTAN 

Matthew Snyder, the grandson of Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder and son of K-State special teams coordinator Sean Snyder, died Wednesday in Manhattan, Riley County police confirmed Thursday morning.

He was 22.

Matthew Snyder died at his home in Manhattan on Wednesday. Riley County police responded to an emergency call on the 3300 block of Claflin Avenue at 1:10 p.m. and are currently investigating an unattended death at the location, according to police spokeswoman Hali Rowland. No one else was injured and no foul play is expected.

Earlier Thursday, Rowland told other news outlets that Riley County police were treating the death as a suicide.

I think this will be ol' Bill's last season.

Every drop of burnt orange in me is telling me I should be nervous about this weekend but the more I think about it and read the signs this could end up being a pretty bad ass-kicking. 

This team has gotten better every week. I'm praying for a W, hoping it isn't close, but thinking Herman lays down his first good ol' fashioned UT smackdown this weekend. 

1 hour ago, sidis said:

good post except sproles wasn't on their 99 team...ironically, he was on the 02 and 03 teams that we beat along with ell roberson.

99 was stacked though...david allen, beasley, quincy morgan, mark simoneau, terrence newman, darren howard, ben leber...all 11 starters on their defense was drafted between the 1st and 5th rounds.  ridiculous.

Damn...you'd think I'd remember since I was at the 99 game. Was it David Allen that returned the punt against us for a TD? That was an incredibly stacked team, though had Applewhite not gifted them 6 turnovers, we still might have beaten them. 

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article218981635.html

Bill Snyder asserts his power over K-State assistant coaches with QB switch to Delton

When Kansas State quarterback Alex Delton took over for Skylar Thompson late in the third quarter of a 35-6 loss to West Virginia on Saturday, his presence in the huddle came as a shock to all but two people in attendance.

No one informed Thompson he was getting benched. K-State offensive coordinator Andre Coleman and quarterbacks coach Collin Klein were also in the dark. As far as they knew, the plan was to keep plugging away at a comeback attempt with the quarterback who had started all four of the Wildcats’ games and had seemingly proven himself as the best passer on the roster.

But Bill Snyder was ready to make a change. So much so that the K-State head coach bypassed his coaching staff and informed Delton directly that he would finish out the game following an interception by Wildcats defensive back Johnathan Durham.

This information was confirmed by two sources with knowledge of the personnel change.

It also lines up with what Delton and Thompson said immediately afterward. Delton told reporters that Snyder “came over to me right before the drive and told me I was going in.” Thompson, with disgust in his voice, said he was blindsided.

Nevertheless, the QB switch is here to stay. Both sources said the Wildcats plan to start Delton against Texas later this week and that K-State gave him the majority of its first-team work in practice on Monday.

Snyder hinted at such a move immediately following the West Virginia game, when he went out of his way to praise Delton for playing “extremely well” and to downplay Thompson for not playing “as well as he is capable.” He later walked back those comments after watching replays of the game and realizing that Thompson (11 of 17 for 145 yards, 16 yards on 12 carries) and Delton (7 of 12 for 82 yards, 18 yards on 11 carries) played “about the same.”

Still, Snyder is ready to shake things up.

In hopes of providing a spark for a sputtering offense that is currently averaging 21 points and 347 yards (both numbers rank ninth in the Big 12, ahead of only Iowa State), Snyder wants to revert back to the ground-oriented attack K-State has used successfully in the past. He views Delton, a gifted runner, as the better QB in that system. Expect lots of quarterback keepers against the Longhorns.

It’s a bold move that, according to sources, Snyder has desired all along. Even though Thompson was named the starter at the end of preseason camp, Snyder’s preference was to roll with Delton and see how far the Hays junior could take the offense. Problem was, Coleman and Klein and the rest of Snyder’s assistants supported Thompson.

Not wanting to overrule Coleman, a first-time play caller who aimed to take the offense in a new direction following Dana Dimel’s departure to UTEP, Snyder decided against using his veto power.

Until now.

Snyder didn’t publicly commit to either quarterback on Tuesday, saying he anticipates both will play against Texas. But he did explain why he benched Thompson against West Virginia.

“It wasn’t his fault that we were behind the 8-ball,” Snyder said. “The point is, we didn’t have any points on the board and we just needed to do something and needed to make some type of change. And the other young guy has been playing equally as well. Both of them have their hiccups and their issues. Skylar played well ... we just needed to try to do something to get a spark.”

It’s clear Snyder was never completely sold on Thompson as QB1. He refused to publicly anoint him as the team’s starter until the third game and, even then, rarely complimented his play. Delton has seen limited action in all four games, yet Snyder has had more positive things to say about him.

Last week, at his Tuesday news conference, Snyder had this to say about Delton: “His opportunities are going to come. They certainly will. There is no doubt in my mind about that.”

The QB change will likely be met with skepticism from some K-State fans. Thompson, who has thrown for 505 yards and four touchdowns, has been far from impressive this season. But he has been better than Delton. Though Delton has had his moments, including a 72-yard touchdown strike to Isaiah Zuber against Texas-San Antonio and 78 rushing yards against South Dakota, he has been turnover prone and taken sacks at inopportune times.

It’s also unclear what kind of effect this decision might have on Coleman. Promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator just nine months ago, how will he react to this type of micromanagement from his head coach? He already faced an awkward transition, starting the season calling plays from the press box but moving down to the field after two clunkers. What’s his next move?

Personnel disagreements are common on every coaching staff, but could there be a rift forming between Snyder and his young team of assistants, which not long ago seemed to energize him as he was coming off a cancer scare?

Snyder, a former offensive coordinator, said he regularly provides suggestions on that side of the ball.

“We constantly have dialogue about that,” Snyder said. “The fact that we aren’t getting the ball in the end zone, I don’t fault anybody in particular. I don’t fault our coaches. In all reality, I don’t really fault our players. Everybody has improvement to make. That starts with me ... We have all got to get better at what we are doing.”

“This is an offensive staff that, when you consider the assignments of each, it’s different. They are growing together. That part of it, I think, is improving. That hasn’t shown up with points on the board, but nevertheless I see that improving. It’s getting acclimated to it and continuing to make improvement. My interaction with it hasn’t changed from Day 1.”

Of course, others may applaud Snyder’s aggressive move, because it means Snyder is asserting himself and making a personnel change that he thinks will help the team bounce back from a 2-2 start. If he thinks the season is slipping away, perhaps he is wise to act … even if his assistants disagree.

It’s not like Thompson has been lighting it up. The Wildcats have lost two games to ranked opponents by a combined score of 66-16. And his decision to audible out of a QB sneak and into an option pitch on fourth-and-inches against West Virginia was disastrous.

With a shaky offensive line and drop-prone receivers, the numbers advantage that comes with running the quarterback behind a lead blocker, and the confusion that comes with zone-read plays, could be just what the doctor ordered for this offense.

K-State averaged just 2.5 yards per rush against West Virginia.

Delton has a positive history as a runner. When healthy, he started over Thompson last season and made an impact against Texas after Jesse Ertz exited with an injury. He rushed for 79 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries during an overtime loss in Austin.

He also took over for Thompson in the Cactus Bowl and led K-State to a victory over UCLA by running for 158 yards and three touchdowns on 20 carries. But he also missed the final three games of the regular season after suffering a pair of concussions.

Delton has been waiting for a moment like this.

“I feel like I am always ready,” Delton said following the WVU game. “I take my preparation serious and I take my play serious, so I am always going to be ready. When I come in I expect to be successful.”

25 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Well, except that.  He was on the hot seat, but they're ranked, playing some defense, scored two billion points on Major's team and pimp slapped a ranked OSU in Stillwater.  

Just having fun with yah and Agree about Tech...... Big surprise how KK's team handled 2nd Half in Stillwater.  Also not sure when they changed to their Freshman QB Alan Bowman..... Red Raiders are on a roll for sure. 

Tech vs WVU gonna be slugfest in Lubbock.... it's a shame that Game is scheduled  at 11a.m. this Saturday..... Would love for it to be a night game to see how West Virginia would handle that environment.

Edited by LTtxfan

"It’s a bold move that, according to sources, Snyder has desired all along. Even though Thompson was named the starter at the end of preseason camp, Snyder’s preference was to roll with Delton and see how far the Hays junior could take the offense.Problem was, Coleman and Klein and the rest of Snyder’s assistants supportedThompson."

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

This bodes poorly for us.  I'd rather face an offense proven to suck than an offense that only might suck.

"PencilPusher" post:

"On offense, I would expect KState to roll out with Alex Delton and feature a lot of QB run game, opportunistic RPO's, and a game plan designed to get yards in small to medium sized chunks. They want to find themselves in 3rd and 4 type situations repeatedly. KState needs to possess for 36+ minutes and they want 10+ play type drives that even if they don't result in big points each time, they take precious time off the clock and keep Texas offense off the field. They want to be in the game in the 4th quarter where Texas could give up a big play that could result in a win for them. Keeping the UT offense off the field and limiting the number of plays run will force UT to be more perfect on offense, which Texas hasn't shown it can be that consistent for 4 quarters. "

KState article quote: "

Delton ran all over Texas late in an overtime loss against the Longhorns last season, finishing with 79 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries after coming on for an injured Jesse Ertz.

He might get another opportunity this week."

• Like 1