Manifesto of How to Look Younger at Work.....

Aqua Buddha

51 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Went to the wife's 10 year reunion last weekend. 95% of the guys there had a beard, so apparently you need one if you are trying to look like you are in your late 20s or early 30s.

As covered in the OP, you can work with a beard but make sure it's not gray.  That can be a lot of work if you're having to color it on a regular basis.

Also, pics of the wife?

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Probably. But you know what looks even more stupid and shows you are an old or a country bumpkin? Wearing those fucking fishing shirts in the office.

Well, it’s “country bumpkin” or LSU garb, you pick.  I take that back. Most of the Asian engineers didn’t subscribe to those, but they weren’t ever going to advance through operations anyhow. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you’re overweight, some of that fat is in your face.

So much this and you can't see it until you lose the weight. I lost 55 pounds and I didn't recognize the person in my driver's license photo. Back then though, I would've never thought my face was fat. I really think your mind's eye sees an idealized version of yourself. I remember when taking photos that I looked pretty good or that I looked decent in the mirror. Once you lose the weight, it's like waking up sober and seeing that 2AM hookup lying next to you wasn't a runway model but a Vic Mackey special.

Gotta get rid of the Mervyn's special looking stuff with the low quality garish colors and matching ties.  Somehow popular in the 90s.  Somehow still around:

fitted-dress-shirt-striped-tie-boxed-set

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Somebody please tell me, before I start to look old:

Button down collars or no? Does it matter if you are wearing a tie?

The button down collar makes it look too casual.  I figure if I'm wearing a suit, I shouldn't be rounding down.  I have 1 button down collar I still wear with a tie, but it is on the back bench.  With no tie, a quality one can look good for business casual.  I like the light pattern type.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I honestly don’t think about this stuff much and I consistently get people telling me they thought I am 10 years younger than I am.

However, to add to your list, you dorks with your smartphones on a belt holster need to lose that shit. Especially if it’s almost the size of a tablet. Dead giveaway that are an old.

Slowly raises hand.

Phone with an otter box is too big for the pocket.  Maybe I'll try ditching the box.

Although I'm not looking for a new job any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Gotta get rid of the Mervyn's special looking stuff with the low quality garish colors and matching ties.  Somehow popular in the 90s.  Somehow still around:

fitted-dress-shirt-striped-tie-boxed-set

Mervyns....wow....now that's a name I've not heard in a long time

Pretty sure it was a West coast thing, and didn't make it out to Texas.

Lilac tho basically one of the few acceptable tones for men...light purple, light pink, light blue, white...anything else and youre rolling the dice for shirts

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Mervyns....wow....now that's a name I've not heard in a long time

Pretty sure it was a West coast thing, and didn't make it out to Texas.

Lilac tho basically one of the few acceptable tones for men...light purple, light pink, light blue, white...anything else and youre rolling the dice for shirts

Early 90’s Austin had a Mervyn’s 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Talk about some combination of the below if you want to look like a professional and hot-shot 30 year old:

- Fortnite

- Fantasy Football

- Middle of building new house out in Suburbia 

- Wife is pregnant or newborn-centric

- Can’t do Spyglass/Pebble Beach this year, wife already has the bonus spent on new appliances 

- Going to a Mega church

my experiences from Big4/SI’s, in Texas

Fortnite isn’t as cool anymore, it’s mostly run it’s course. A young person would know that. 

That’s why you olds are fighting a losing battle, you’re simply not plugged in enough. Don’t try and be something your not, fuck whoever has a problem with you because of your age.

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fortnite isn’t as cool anymore, it’s mostly run it’s course. A young person would know that. 

That’s why you olds are fighting a losing battle, you’re simply not plugged in enough. Don’t try and be something your not, fuck whoever has a problem with you because of your age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Talk about some combination of the below if you want to look like a professional and hot-shot 30 year old:

- Fortnite

- Fantasy Football

- Can’t do Spyglass/Pebble Beach this year, wife already has the bonus spent on new appliances 

- Going to a Mega church

You know your an aggy that lives in Tomball when...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Work 100% remote and wear a ball cap for video conferences unless you're with a client.  then top half is dressed up. 

This is me but I also add a background during video conferences to make it look like I am in a really fancy office. Actually had people complement the green screen office a few times. lulz

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's kind of what I said but I like your equation better.  If you're 45, don't try to look like a 25 year old.  Try for 35 instead.  It's more believable and you don't look like a douche bag.

As to the gray hair thing, there is a difference between gray hair and dyed silver.

The biggest trend for women over 40 is dying it silver instead of blonde.

10 hours ago, kmac30 said:

While I agree, for overall health reasons people need to slim down, I don’t agree that it always makes people look older. I know plenty of slim and in shape people that are my age and look 10 years older. I know a really big guy that is 10 years older than me and I never would have known until we had a discussion about hold old we were. Sometimes you just can’t control genetics.

That is were a little weight in the face keeps the age wrinkles from showing.

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

and also get rid of these

660229?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpen=1

you should be able to describe your shoe with a name.  it's a wingtip, a cap toe oxford, a moccasin, brown derby, vans, chucks.  roper.  not "it's like a dress shoe but for airline pilots and preteens at sunday school"

That one is called a bicycle toe.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

39 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

And your old is showing.

if that's to me, hopefully it's about naming off shoe types and not the bicycle toe (learn something new every day).

32, tech, on the engineering side.  If I was (and wanted to continue being) an individual contributor, I'd be actively worried about either staying young or being perceived as a wizard.  Still am concerned about getting fat, old, and out of touch.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Old people still sport Yankees gear...

8 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Tsk tsk tsk.

8c6921e6723dd7619f6e0298fe07bf65.jpg

You need to decide if you’re working with engineers or O&G trash.

FTR - I’m aware my old manager wears white velcro New Balances almost everyday, and the one before that wore 10 year old work boots.

If your office environment is the right, then ok but be sure that you can dress like the guy on the left,  nothing more annoying than an adult being asked to dress professionally for one day or one meeting, and they whine about how much nice clothes cost.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

- Fortnite

- Fantasy Football

- Going to a Mega church

Boss?

22 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Resume:

First, clean up your resume.  No one cares about the job you had out of college, with rare exceptions.  Eliminate the job altogether.  Shrink your resume down to 2 or 3 pages at the most.  (This also applies to LinkedIn.)

Second, take the dates of the resume, except for more recent positions.  Take it off altogether for your education.  Graduated college in 1993?  Slow your roll, old man.  Just leave the years off.

Third, keep the resume relevant with current skill sets and their demands.  (This is wildly dependent on your industry, I know.)  This also involves keeping your skill set up to date. Certain industries change faster than others and never hesitate to volunteer for something that’s cutting edge.  Don’t know what blockchain means?  Don’t care.  Volunteer.  No one cares that you have 25 years of Mainframe programming, for example.

Michael_Scott_Greatest_Strength.jpg

8 hours ago, F250 said:

I once flew in our head engineer to a client's office to assist with some customized product requests and he showed up in the shoes below.

Dude was in his mid forties, wore these with jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.

transferred old nerdy german dude to our office.  short-sleeved shirt tucked into jeans.  the whole works.

he leaves a pair of birkenstocks under his desk for emergency.  i wish i was joking