Let's talk matchups vs. OU

this

Given that OU lost Rodney Anderson, I feel like Texas may have an advantage here against a slow Trey Sermon or their other new running backs. What do other posters think about this matchup?

What other areas, do you think Texas may have an advantage or a disadvantage?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Hotter women, better food, better schools, better cities, smarter people, better... you know what, fuck it. Just better everything. 

Uh, you left the best thing about Texas over Oklahoma. No state income taxes.

3 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Sermon is a beast, so open field tackling is going to be crucial.  I think the game comes down to how well our DBs can cover down the field and if our edge rushers can contain Murray in the pocket.  And like every RRS, whoever wins the turnover battle wins the war. 

I think this is the critical battle right here because Texas will want to see if Kyler Murray can pass so being able to stop the run with 4 or 5 lineman/LBs is doable. OU's Offensive line hasn't looked as good as last year.

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yes, they call it "protection money."

Yep. Growing up in Oklahoma every neighborhood has a "Trail Boss". The Boss makes sure every little Okie has 2 meals a day - morning and night - and gets half an hour before bed to play in the community "pig pen" (usually a shallow hole dug out in the sun-baked dust).

In exchange, the Boss must be provided with a retainer of 2 cans of copenhagen long cut, a 6 pack of schlitz, and 2 "Sooner" pounds of meat jerky (preferably squirrel but anything will do in a pinch).

It's a hard life -  but an honest one. 

Edited by ztejas

19 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

We aren't winning if the homunculus is comfortable in the pocket.

I doubt he's going to be comfortable in there given OU's O line issues this year. This is where they miss Rodney Anderson the most, he was also a prolific in pass protection. Although Sermon isn't half bad either.

48 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Duvernay, Collin Johnson and LJH will beat Motley, Radley-Hiles and Norwood like a rented mule, if Sam will just be half ass accurate.  

Yeah, OU has 3 Boyds on their team. Only, not as athletic AND coached by Mike Stoops. 

I’ll admit it in bitch mode. We struggle with running QBs and midget fuck can run. I’d love to see Johnson or jones lay the fucking lumber on him one time to make him second guess. Ring his bell make him dizzy wtf ever.  I think we can cover their wrs. But if Hager flies up field and midget takes off with his pussy ass base ball slides it’s a long day. Maybe Johnson says fuck it one time on the slide and bloodies his face like Maryland who knows. But I worry about running QBs   And that one douchebag WR

• Like 2

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

I’ll admit it in bitch mode. We struggle with running QBs and midget fuck can run. I’d love to see Johnson or jones lay the fucking lumber on him one time to make him second guess. Ring his bell make him dizzy wtf ever.  I think we can cover their wrs. But if Hager flies up field and midget takes off with his pussy ass base ball slides it’s a long day. Maybe Johnson says fuck it one time on the slide and bloodies his face like Maryland who knows. But I worry about running QBs   And that one douchebag WR

Texas has played pretty well vs two running QBs in Robinson & Delton. Worry is Murray throws better than either of them. Delton for KSU damn near couldn't throw so Texas could just tee off. Robinson could throw but IMO not as good as Murray can.

I think Texas needs to protect vs double move, watch FB/TE little wheel route and watch Murray sending 5 wide and then running. It is a lot to cover.

I'll be there with the family cheering on the Horns and ideally we as fans see Murray's bell rung early and his agent call him on sideline and say the A's would like him to stay off the field.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

We’re not going to be able to contain that midget so just get that out of your head. We’re gonna need some breaks to go our way and hit them really fucking hard 

Define “contain”? We will throw things at him he has never seen. He will frustrate us here and there and he will make some plays. Make him make great plays and make him uncomfortable. He will give up the booty. 

Not to go all Mack Brown here, but limiting explosive plays will be key to the game. The last 15 years it always seems like there’s 1+ play a game where a receiver is wide the hell open down the field. Letting them have the short stuff and making the tackles will be a winning strategy. Same thing with the runs, let the Ewok have the 5 yard runs, but we can’t have him going for 20.

38 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Ball security and QB containment. OU are front runners that we mustn’t let run out front. Punch them in the figurative mouth and make them think, “damn- Texas is back!”

If  some D man happens to lay some serious legal wood to millionaire monkey boy early on , or even a tbag/wet fart combo, he might go fetal.

Besides our misplaced passes on offense, the other issue is the seeming ineffectiveness of our blitzes. I don't know if it is the scheme or the players. Even if got to the QB, it was mostly due to the pass defense rather than blitz reaching early. OU is very good at screen game and will punish blitzing. We should keep everything in front and have a single person blitzing infrequently to keep QB uncomfortable. 

Johnson and McCulloch will be the keys on defense.  Gotta keep Murray from breaking off big chunks when he takes off.  Also gotta hit him hard to make him think twice.

Ingram will be the key on offense.  If we can productively feature him early it will open things up and the O will be fine.

4 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Sermon is a beast, so open field tackling is going to be crucial.  I think the game comes down to how well our DBs can cover down the field and if our edge rushers can contain Murray in the pocket.  And like every RRS, whoever wins the turnover battle wins the war. 

So Hager has to contain Murray?  We’re fucked. 

I like a lot of our match-ups, having seen OU 3 times this season. The okie above is correct - the OU defense sucks. It's not average, it is bad. The secondary is really fucking bad. 

That considered, I worry about two key match-ups. 

1) Brown vs Locke - Locke is basically incompetent when isolated in coverage in the passing game. Brown is about as electric as we'll see this year. I expect him to score at least once if Locke winds up having to deal with him.

2) Lamb vs Boyd - We all know that Boyd will shit himself with stupidity on at least one play in each game, and Lamb is an elite talent. I expect Lamb to score at least once as well. 

I'm not worried about the Kyler Murray, dual-threat aspect in this game. Orlando seems to prepare his plans to account for specific QB capabilities, whatever they may be. We run into trouble when the QB the defense has prepared for goes down or gets subbed. We've seen this with Maryland and both years with KSU. We clearly prepared for Delton, and then had trouble accounting for Thompson last week. In 2017, we witnessed the opposite. 

Herman and crew need to come out expecting to score more than 30. You guys can talk ball control, and I get it up to a point, but thinking that OU isn't going to put up somewhere between 28 and 42 seems silly. Texas can't turtle on the game if we get the lead. 

We need Ehlinger to play an excellent game. If he's accurate and mentally competent, that will be huge. If he shows up as though this is the first time he's seen a football field, it really doesn't matter what everyone else does, we're struggling to win in that event. 

• Like 3

OU will score. They will abuse Boyd and Locke. And Ewok will get free and pick up yards, probably score, too. So they key is to limit their production by keeping their offense off the field. We do that in 2 ways:

1. Do what army did. Run. The. Ball. Over. And. Over. And. Over. If we can consistently get a push up front and pick up 2-5 ypc, then we win.

2. Win the turnover battle. On offense, we don't need Sam to air out the ball. We need him to manage the game and use his feet. On defense, we need Sterns to bail out our corners and get the ball.

22 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

GJ too important to get sent off for a targeting. That's what freshmen are for.

7 hours ago, novasooner said:

As somebody from the enemy side, I agree completely that the key for UT is to play ball control.  Army almost beat us with that approach (and should have won, honestly) and Baylor did it well, too.  Baylor's problem was that OU"s offense demolished them, but Texas has a far superior D.  I know some of you have mixed feelings about Sam, but he's very capable of dinking and dunking down the field against OU"s atrocious defense (both passing and running), which can't get anybody off the field.  That's the major worry from the OU side.  The ewok as you call him (yeah, he looks like one) is electrifying, but even great offenses can be slowed down, as UT has shown against OU more than a few times recently. 

I would argue that UT's biggest worry is OU jumping out to a fast lead.  It happened last year and UT clawed back, but it wouldn't be smart to repeat that pattern.

Other thoughts:

--OU's offensive line isn't as good as last year; in fact, it's only so-so in general.

--OU's receivers are really fucking fast, but they're small.  UT will want to leverage the size advantage against the QB and WRs.  OU killed Baylor by getting Hollywood and CeeDee into open spaces.  Watch for the tunnel screen to Hollywood--if he gets space he'll shoot into the open field. 

--The loss of Rodney Anderson has been huge.  Sermon is a force, but he needs space to get going.  He's a good receiver, though.  Kennedy Brooks emerged last week, but he has virtually no PT under his belt. 

--OU's defense is exactly as bad as you imagine, worse probably.  Ronnie Perkins is legit, but he's a freshman.  Bookie hasn't been as good as Stearns.  Motley is feast or famine (usually famine).  DTs are meh.  Kenneth Murray is physically gifted, but still sometimes misses assignments. Big receivers have killed OU, so if Johnson is serious on Saturday he could be in for a huge day. 

I wish everybody a safe trip this weekend. 

That's a good analysis and a respectful post.

I still hate you, though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, novasooner said:

As somebody from the enemy side, I agree completely that the key for UT is to play ball control.  Army almost beat us with that approach (and should have won, honestly) and Baylor did it well, too.  Baylor's problem was that OU"s offense demolished them, but Texas has a far superior D.  I know some of you have mixed feelings about Sam, but he's very capable of dinking and dunking down the field against OU"s atrocious defense (both passing and running), which can't get anybody off the field.  That's the major worry from the OU side.  The ewok as you call him (yeah, he looks like one) is electrifying, but even great offenses can be slowed down, as UT has shown against OU more than a few times recently. 

I would argue that UT's biggest worry is OU jumping out to a fast lead.  It happened last year and UT clawed back, but it wouldn't be smart to repeat that pattern.

Other thoughts:

--OU's offensive line isn't as good as last year; in fact, it's only so-so in general.

--OU's receivers are really fucking fast, but they're small.  UT will want to leverage the size advantage against the QB and WRs.  OU killed Baylor by getting Hollywood and CeeDee into open spaces.  Watch for the tunnel screen to Hollywood--if he gets space he'll shoot into the open field. 

--The loss of Rodney Anderson has been huge.  Sermon is a force, but he needs space to get going.  He's a good receiver, though.  Kennedy Brooks emerged last week, but he has virtually no PT under his belt. 

--OU's defense is exactly as bad as you imagine, worse probably.  Ronnie Perkins is legit, but he's a freshman.  Bookie hasn't been as good as Stearns.  Motley is feast or famine (usually famine).  DTs are meh.  Kenneth Murray is physically gifted, but still sometimes misses assignments. Big receivers have killed OU, so if Johnson is serious on Saturday he could be in for a huge day. 

I wish everybody a safe trip this weekend. 

You’re a good egg. But fuck you straight in the goat ass. Hook em. 

• Like 1

I think Sam needs to be heavily utilized in the running game. Outside of Army, which is worthless as a datapoint from a matchup perspective, their run defense has put up good numbers. Yes, that has to be taken with a grain of salt given the level of competition and the fact that their opponents have ended up playing from way behind, but our ground game hasn't been that great either. Our OL is not a good run blocking unit, so the extra blocker on QB power and playing off the end in the zone read game could really open things up. Not to mention I like the idea of their back seven trying to tackle him 20 times and still deal with LJH, Ingram, and CJ.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There are, as heavily noted already, several things that we might do (or not do) and thereby have a lesser chance of winning. Most are dependent on one or more of the others - and if both or all are not dealt with properly, will result in total failure of the Mission Project Return.

We must not, we cannot, allow such an occurrence to eventuate.

1-0 or Die! 1-0 or Die, Men!