Updated Bowl Projections per ESPN

Mdhorn

Just now, David Dennison said:

This four team college football playoff is shite.

Yup.  I still don't understand why an 8 team playoff with the P5 champs and 3 at large doesn't happen.  It creates an objective means for qualifying and allows for the beauty contest so many feel the sport must have.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  I still don't understand why an 8 team playoff with the P5 champs and 3 at large doesn't happen.  It creates an objective means for qualifying and allows for the beauty contest so many feel the sport must have.

I am cynical and think that they like this drama bullshit.

I think it sucks and brings down the sport.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

I am cynical and think that they like this drama bullshit.

I think it sucks and brings down the sport.

people will tune out if they start thinking the game is rigged 

if you have two SEC teams in the playoff and another two or three in NY6 bowls... well, that type of shit never mattered to fans of the Big Ten/Pac Ten/SWC/Big 8 back when they had their own NYD bowls to shoot for. Now that we're artificially trying to cram fifteen pounds of qualified teams into a ten pound sack, people are going to get pissed off if they start thinking the tie goes to the SEC runner every time. And when they're pissed and realize they can't do anything about it, they just.... stop.... caring.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It won't be a popular opinion here, but it's absolutely infuriating to me to hear the argument for OSU over OU.  ESPN is so blatantly pushing that agenda, and I don't think the committee is smart enough to think for themselves.

Really, I just want an Alamo bowl and think that OU in the playoffs is our best chance at that.  But then again, if you guys win they might put you both in the NY6 and we get that bid anyways.

I’d rather you play aggy and beat their ass. 

Edited by RandomIdoit

2 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

I’d rather you okay aggy and beat their ass. 

If we get them in Texas Bowl, it's basically a home game for them.

Plus, I'm going to be in SA on the day of the Alamo Bowl for unrelated reasons and could slide it right into that trip.  I'm not going to rent a car to drive 3 hours one way to that unzoned swamp in order in to deal with fucking Aggy.

I'd enjoy whooping their ass, but I have selfish motivations for the Alamo game.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

44 minutes ago, S11 said:

And 31 to Nebraska

And 49 to Purdue

and 39 to Michigan

And 31 to oregon state

36 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

And 28 to TCU...2nd highest output for them against P5 competition.

"Four teams under 40 points and one in the 20s? An average of 35.6 points per game allowed? Can we steal their defensive coordinator?" - OU fans, probably

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

"Four teams under 40 points and one in the 20s? An average of 35.6 points per game allowed? Can we steal their defensive coordinator?" - OU fans, probably

1- True and funny

2- OU wouldn’t be held under 30 vs Purdue. You get blown out by 6-6 kiss the ability to jump any similar record team goodbye

I wouldn't read too much into the final score of Ohio State-Michigan. It was 41-19 after three quarters and the defenses both went soft in the fourth and there was a lot of empty-calorie scoring. 

That isn't to defend Ohio State's terrible defense. They're terrible. But they're not as terrible as "they gave up 39 points to MIchigan" makes them sound.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It doesn't matter what the facts are.  The more time goes on, the more convinced I am that this committee is just going to do anything they possibly can to put tOSU in.  It's pretty disgusting.

Oh definitely. Ohio State can already punch their tickets. Northwestern is not going to put up much of a fight. The committee is eager to extend the invitation.

I do appreciate the formality of pretending there is a debate going on between Ohio State and Oklahoma. OU would be totally screwed if they were not destined to be beaten by Texas.

As it is they can enjoy the Fiesta Bowl to celebrate their 11-2 Conference runner-up season.

We do remember them keeping out tOSU out last season despite having a better resume than Bama right?  I mean sure they had a bad loss to a decent Iowa team, but they also had much better wins, a better overall record, and a Conference Championship and still kept them out in favor of Bama who didn't deserve the spot last season(despite winning the title).

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If we get them in Texas Bowl, it's basically a home game for them.

Plus, I'm going to be in SA on the day of the Alamo Bowl for unrelated reasons and could slide it right into that trip.  I'm not going to rent a car to drive 3 hours one way to that unzoned swamp in order in to deal with fucking Aggy.

I'd enjoy whooping their ass, but I have selfish motivations for the Alamo game.

Then I'd love to see WSU slotted there against you, if only to see a major American city drained completely dry of alcohol.

It would be epic.

Edited by flatdawgs

4 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Then I'd love to see WSU slotted there against you, if only to see a major American city drained completely dry of alcohol.

It would be epic.

I figured once you guys won the Apple Cup that they would be the match up in the Alamo Bowl.  I've always wanted a home and home early in the season with Wazzu, but this would suffice.

I get the feeling our fanbases would be compatible.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I figured once you guys won the Apple Cup that they would be the match up in Pullman.  I've always wanted a home and home early in the season with Wazzu.

I get the feeling our fanbases would be compatible.

Nah, I like Iowa State. 😉

Actually you're probably right; the Cougs know how to have fun and are Ag, not aggy.

I'd actually love a home/home with ISU but that ain't never gonna happen. We do need some more Big 12 - Pac 12 matchups though; I'm tired of the B1G matchups UW usually goes for.

43 minutes ago, Drew said:

We do remember them keeping out tOSU out last season despite having a better resume than Bama right?  I mean sure they had a bad loss to a decent Iowa team, but they also had much better wins, a better overall record, and a Conference Championship and still kept them out in favor of Bama who didn't deserve the spot last season(despite winning the title).

No, BAMA only had 1 loss and tOSU had 2.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Nah, I like Iowa State. 😉

Actually you're probably right; the Cougs know how to have fun and are Ag, not aggy.

I'd actually love a home/home with ISU but that ain't never gonna happen. We do need some more Big 12 - Pac 12 matchups though; I'm tired of the B1G matchups UW usually goes for.

A series with you guys would be fun as well.  Husky Stadium looks like an incredible venue.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that of the Power five conferences, the 2 people talk about being the weakest and most likely to be left out of the CFP each year also happen to have the most competitive conference championship games..   Big10 is of exception since one division is very competitive... the other an afterthought.

CCG odds spread:

Pac12 -5
Big12 -7 1/2

Big10 -14 1/2
SEC   -13 1/2
ACC   -26 1/2

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I find it interesting that of the Power five conferences, the 2 people talk about being the weakest and most likely to be left out of the CFP each year also happen to have the most competitive conference championship games..   Big10 is of exception since one division is very competitive... the other an afterthought.

CCG odds spread:

Pac12 -5
Big12 -7 1/2

Big10 -14 1/2
SEC   -13 1/2
ACC   -26 1/2

The ACC is a one program league right now.

However, said program is undefeated.  The rest of that league is pure trash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I was a regular poster on the Shag, but I've only been lurking ever since the domain change. I had an epiphany about our bowl scenario yesterday that was too good not to break my Surly silence...

First, we mudhole the gooners this Saturday 45-35.

Next, we play Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and win a close one. 

Next, Sam is asked in the post game interview: "You know the National Championship game is here next year, would you like to come back to New Orleans?". To which he promptly responds "Yes sir, we'll be baaaaack!!". 

Profit. 

If Alabama wins, wouldn't that make a two pete, competing for a 3 pete next year?   Pretty sure they might win Heisman with Tua, and possibly another next year, while a awesome junior qb gets snubbed....  Hum... this sounds familiar...  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, S11 said:

And 31 to Nebraska

And 49 to Purdue

and 39 to Michigan

And 31 to oregon state

What's crazier is, these are not great offenses. 

OU's defense is awful and has given up a lot of points, a LOT of points, but the offenses are also extremely good.

I think the Kansas game is really hurting them right now.  They should not have given up those points or rushing yards, and that is not a great offense.  Outside of that, i'd be curious to see Ohio state defense against wvu.  After seeing them face tcu, I think holgerson would have fun with that matchup.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

10 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

There will be hell to pay if you leave the big ten champs out again

Then stop getting blown out by 5 and 6 loss teams.  Purdue this year and Iowa last year didn’t even suffer any major injuries to argue they aren’t that bad.

15 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

What's crazier is, these are not great offenses. 

OU's defense is awful and has given up a lot of points, a LOT of points, but the offenses are also extremely good.

I think the Kansas game is really hurting them right now.  They should not have given up those points or rushing yards, and that is not a great offense.  Outside of that, i'd be curious to see Ohio state defense against wvu.  After seeing them face tcu, I think holgerson would have fun with that matchup.

If Oklahoma gets in, it's going to be fun watching the committee try to figure out how to match them up with Clemson so Bama can play Notre Dame. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Still seeing predictions for aggy in the Texas Bowl lulz.  Would be hilarious if it happens.  They think Kentucky, Florida, and LSU will be in NY6 Bowls allowing them to get to the Citrus Bowl.  I bet they'd take Miss. State over aggy.

So win or lose we're in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia or maybe Florida. 

I think the team understands the conference championships are more important than bowl games. 

So win or lose we're in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia or maybe Florida. 

I think the team understands the conference championships are more important than bowl games. 

Actually, winning is the only guarantee. It's entirely possible the committee jumps Ohio State over Oklahoma if both win, which would give the Sugar Bowl bid to the Sooners.

With a close loss I think we would still be alive for an at-large NY6 slot but it's far from guaranteed.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Actually, winning is the only guarantee. It's entirely possible the committee jumps Ohio State over Oklahoma if both win, which would give the Sugar Bowl big to the Sooners.

With a close loss I think we would still be alive for an at-large NY6 slot but it's far from guaranteed.

It's plausible sure, but the Sugar Bowl feels like 80% likely right now.