Getting into the army

Jade

1 hour ago, Jade said:

Why does it have to be so difficult? I passed my asvab but my recruiter doesn't want to give me the moral waiver for my juvenile felony. What can I do?

The recruiter does not issue the waiver. It goes before the board that looks at people’s issues/situations and they approve or deny waivers based upon their discretion. 

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Felony B&E as a juvenile first time offender? You aren't telling the whole story and if you didn't tell the recruiter the whole story and the truth popped up on a background check, you're screwed. Go to the Navy or the Marines and tell the whole truth.

Yep yep yep. I remember whole scads of dudes getting sent home after they showed up to start Basic because they tried to play games with their stories. If it's on paper, you did it, and they will not play around if you try to get clever.

Or tell them you were so High-Speed that you were just practicing Urban Clearance.

12 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Felony B&E as a juvenile first time offender? You aren't telling the whole story and if you didn't tell the recruiter the whole story and the truth popped up on a background check, you're screwed. Go to the Navy or the Marines and tell the whole truth.

I told him about the felony with harris county but didnt about a misdemeanor with Montgomery county, I completed the juvenile probation and did my community service. I was worried about the felony and forgot about the misdemeanor

3 hours ago, luke duke said:

I’m sure the Marines will take just about anyone. How do you feel about pulling a train?

No way.  When I got out of USMC bootcamp I worked for a recruiter for a couple weeks for more leave.  He turned away several guys for being fat, stupid (relative to your average jarhead that's saying something!), or having too long a record.  The Army took all of them.  It's a numbers game.  The Marine Corps is so much smaller, quotas are smaller.  Obviously you need not be a rocket surgeon for the Corps but the Army takes almost everyone.  

16 hours ago, Jade said:

I told him about the felony with harris county but didnt about a misdemeanor with Montgomery county, I completed the juvenile probation and did my community service. I was worried about the felony and forgot about the misdemeanor

The recruiter gets a bonus for putting qualified candidates through. He gets nothing for all of his work if he puts you through and you get booted before Basic because of your background. If you qualified, you'd be in because he wants to get paid. Here's the deal: 1. you have a GED, not a high school diploma, 2. You have a felony, 3. Because the only thing you reported to him was a felony for B&E, he knows that you are hiding something because usually first time offending juveniles don't get felonies for regular old B&E. He's not going to put you through because you have 3 strikes in his eyes. And the fact that you described your ASVAB performance as "passed" is also troubling. You probably didn't qualify for many jobs. They won't throw you in a combat infantry role because you're a woman and they don't really need basic infantry bodies, right now.

Your solution is to go either Navy or Marines and TELL THEM EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter if you served your time, jumped through all the hoops, and haven't done anything in a while. Your record is your record. Full disclosure, my step sister was a drunk fuckup who couldn't screw in a light bulb without burning down the house, and the Navy gave her a job loading ordinance. She eventually got kicked out for being a drunk, but she got in. The name of your game is to not disqualify yourself. Tell them about everything that is on your record on day one. Anything that will pop on a background check. Give them every piece of paper they ask for as soon as possible. Preferably within one business day.

If you get far enough to the point where they give you an MOS, report back here and tell us your MOS. I hope it is CS/CSS just for the infinite chili jokes we will be given.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The recruiter gets a bonus for putting qualified candidates through. He gets nothing for all of his work if he puts you through and you get booted before Basic because of your background. If you qualified, you'd be in because he wants to get paid. Here's the deal: 1. you have a GED, not a high school diploma, 2. You have a felony, 3. Because the only thing you reported to him was a felony for B&E, he knows that you are hiding something because usually first time offending juveniles don't get felonies for regular old B&E. He's not going to put you through because you have 3 strikes in his eyes. And the fact that you described your ASVAB performance as "passed" is also troubling. You probably didn't qualify for many jobs. They won't throw you in a combat infantry role because you're a woman and they don't really need basic infantry bodies, right now.

Your solution is to go either Navy or Marines and TELL THEM EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter if you served your time, jumped through all the hoops, and haven't done anything in a while. Your record is your record. Full disclosure, my step sister was a drunk fuckup who couldn't screw in a light bulb without burning down the house, and the Navy gave her a job loading ordinance. She eventually got kicked out for being a drunk, but she got in. The name of your game is to not disqualify yourself. Tell them about everything that is on your record on day one. Anything that will pop on a background check. Give them every piece of paper they ask for as soon as possible. Preferably within one business day.

If you get far enough to the point where they give you an MOS, report back here and tell us your MOS. I hope it is CS/CSS just for the infinite chili jokes we will be given.

Past drug use is also a strike.  If it's indeed in the past. 

14 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Past drug use is also a strike.  If it's indeed in the past. 

Yeah, if you are certain you are going to piss clean, just tell them no and don't do any more drugs. Another friend who was going through to the Army smoked a joint during her going away party. Pissed hot and she was out. I can't emphasize it enough: Do not disqualify yourself.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jade said:

Yeah, let's just say they have access to more than you would think...hell to records that you don't even know exist. When my son was trying to get into the Army they asked him question about a couple of fights that had police reports but there were never any charges filed. These were from when he was 13 & 14 years old. So I think it is safe to say that if something happened and there is a report about it at the school, the local PD or the sheriffs office then you'd better be ready to explain it.

FWIW - my kids did a ton of stupid shit, and he is currently protecting the homeland as a member of the National Guard. Which reminds me, he is at drill this weekend - so you should feel extra protected. Protected from an invasion of Canadians that is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jade said:

Why does it have to be so difficult? I passed my asvab but my recruiter doesn't want to give me the moral waiver for my juvenile felony. What can I do?

You "passed" your ASVAB.   Did you go to MEPS to take it?  Where did you take it?

Kidding aside, there is some good advice above. If you're serious about joining the Armed Forces, Navy would be a good choice. I'd even offer up the Coast Guard (you'd never have to worry about going into deep water, seriously fuck the Coast Guard) though I'm not sure how tough their recruitment process is.

7 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Kidding aside, there is some good advice above. If you're serious about joining the Armed Forces, Navy would be a good choice. I'd even offer up the Coast Guard (you'd never have to worry about going into deep water, seriously fuck the Coast Guard) though I'm not sure how tough their recruitment process is.

bowe bergdahl washed out of the coast guard and the army still took him.  so, there's that.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

Shit, if you want an easy ride, Chair Force all the way.

Or you could join the Navy and hang out with all the squids here.

The son is a first LT in the AF. He just finished up a 6 month assignment at Nellis in Nevada (driving back to Lackland in San Antonio as we speak), but his billet was 2 blocks from the strip and his duty station was a high rise on the strip.  

Lots of poker fun was had for 6 months.

If you're going in the service for damn sure have skill a set they can utilize or it's in the grease pit of a catapult unit on an aircraft carrier.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you're going in the service for damn sure have skill a set they can utilize or it's in the grease pit of a catapult unit on an aircraft carrier.

I don't know if the photo made over from TOB, but we've seen the evidence that Jade would make a fine cook in the army.
{insert chili photo here}

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Felix said:

What happened to Job Corps?

Took my walk of shame about a month ago. I had broken up with Matt and his new girl kept wanting to fight me. I really tried avoiding her. I got up earlier so I could get to chow sooner I changed my route to class left campus on the weekends. I got cornered in the bathroom and her girls watched the door. I didnt throw the first punch but I swung back. Someone recorded it and we got busted. I did walk away with a medical records certification though

5 minutes ago, Jade said:

Took my walk of shame about a month ago. I had broken up with Matt and his new girl kept wanting to fight me. I really tried avoiding her. I got up earlier so I could get to chow sooner I changed my route to class left campus on the weekends. I got cornered in the bathroom and her girls watched the door. I didnt throw the first punch but I swung back. Someone recorded it and we got busted. I did walk away with a medical records certification though

There seems to be a world out there I just don't understand.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

CGC Boutwell leading Task Force Tarawa to Iraq

563d2af328fee51836920891eedb8c6f.jpg

USCG is the hardest service to join. They are extremely picky and if you have any record they won't accept you. When everyone else is running for cover, USCG is heading into the storm. Semper Paratus.

I recommend Navy as an alternative if the Coasties turn you down. You'll go places and see cool shit you never dreamed of. Plus always a hot meal and a warm bed unlike the Army and Marines. If all else fails, Air Force.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jade said:

Does this count as defeated? Need a ruling here.

Basically, if you had just kept yer dick in your pants and stuck to studying you'd still be there and working towards a decent future - maybe. Is that about right? And you think you're NOT going to get involved with any guys in the military?? LOL.

Maybe just get a job with the records cert that you got. Houston is FULL of businesses that are hiring those, I'm sure. Might even meet a guy in an environment where girls don't corner one another in bathrooms. Who knows? The sky's the limit!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The son is a first LT in the AF. He just finished up a 6 month assignment at Nellis in Nevada (driving back to Lackland in San Antonio as we speak), but his billet was 2 blocks from the strip and his duty station was a high rise on the strip.  

Lots of poker fun was had for 6 months.

Yeah, my little cousin married an AF guy. They picked Alaska. 

1 hour ago, Jade said:

who knew there was a img on the web of your punch:

Reese-in-Freeway-reese-witherspoon-14565

4 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Before this, I honestly didn't know there was such a thing as being unable to enlist in the army (outside of medical or multiple, serious felony record disqualifications).

Unless there's a high-casualty war going on, there are always lots of ways to not get in. I remember my recruiter bitching back in 87 about all the reasons they rejected people he signed up.