Texas @ OSU 10/27 7:00 PM ABC

MirrOlure

IT

I caught up with one of our old friends to get the latest on some questions you guys might have been wondering about. Here's what he had to say. These aren't quotes, just me relaying what I was told.

Basketball stadium: Honestly I don't even know what's public at this point, but what I've heard is the new basketball arena will be in the two parking lots behind the track and field complex. It will hold 10,000 people for games but have retractable seating to expand to 16,000 for events and concerts.

It sounds like this is the best available result. It's still on campus, it's intimate for games, and it will hold enough for concerts and other events.

Eventual realignment: The word here is that with Greg Fenves at the helm the Pac 12 is the only option. A big issue in chancellor interviews was aligning the University with like-minded academic institutions. Realignment was a big topic when USC big-wigs made it to Austin in September. There were lots of alumni mixers and even a Ryder Cup styled golf event between big shots from each school. The Pac is a cultural fit, and academic fit, and the money will undoubtedly make sense. Does it get any better than Air B-n-B’ing at @Scipio Tex 's "flat" (that's what he calls it) for Stanford and Cal games? Now, what will CDC do about the time change???

Overall feeling on Herman: The private jet crowd was pretty damn pissed after Maryland. They're like us, they just spend a lot more money -- albeit a smaller percentage of their worth -- than we do to attend away games. Whether it was after that disappointing loss or even now when things are going swimmingly, I'm hearing the same thing: they're glad CDC is at the helm. They like Herman and believe he'll win, but they think he'll be slow to fix any staff issues that might arise. They see what's going on in recruiting. To some of them, they think Herman will be slow to make necessary changes and Del Conte gives them comfort those changes will be made if needed. Of course, if Herman keeps winning and recruiting well, he'll be able to do what he wants.

TEAM

The big question is who will start at quarterback in Stillwater. But do you really want to know? Is it fair to the staff for us to state who the starter is? Is it wise to mention it, even if the uncertainty is a very minimal competitive advantage?

I think Herman's comments this week gave a pretty good idea that Ehlinger will be the man barring any set-backs. Well, we haven't heard of any set-backs. Let's see how timid he is to run and how he feels after he eventually gets hit.

There is an injury that will effect snap allocation, but the team hasn't mentioned it so we won't either. It shouldn't effect the outcome of the game.

This game has some other injury/discipline issues affecting playing time. As has been mentioned, Davante Davis and Kris Boyd won't get the start. In their stead will be Kobe Boyce and Anthony Cook. Lil'Jordan Humphrey will also miss a bit of action. In his place will be senior Jerrod Heard. How long the starters sit remains to be seen but it could be as little as a series. Herman has said they showed contrition and their transgressions weren't all that bad to begin with. Expect to see Heard continue to get reps in the slot throughout the game as he's also Josh Moore's replacement. Moore suffered a painful shoulder sprain.

One development worth monitoring Saturday who plays the most at right guard. Elijah Rodriguez and Derek Kerstetter shared reps this week.

I asked why we haven't seen more of Cade Brewer and heard back, "I don't know. He's a much better receiver than Beck and I don't think there's a difference in blocking." This is clearly one of those "trust" situations. I wish they would have red-shirted Brewer.

It was mentioned that Joseph Ossai received reps at rover this week. With Texas losing both Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler after this season the staff will try any player who has a possibility of translating at the positions. I don't think it will be Ossai, however. "He's out of position. He can do it in a pinch, but it's not natural for him. It's natural for Overshown, he just needs to get bigger."

On Keaontay Ingram. "Still not the player he was in August, but he's close. The player in August is the best running back in the Big 12. He's the best offensive player on the team, better than Humphrey or Johnson."

Expect lots of dime but maybe a little more nickel than we were anticipating.

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Fucking bye week. Must have been a heck of a party.

So we are going to be missing our two top corners and our best receiver. Even though the corners are fairly overrated, this isn’t good. Game very well could start down 7-0 after each team has a possession. 

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

So we are going to be missing our two top corners and our best receiver. Even though the corners are fairly overrated, this isn’t good. Game very well could start down 7-0 after each team has a possession. 

I’m not worried. We give up a TD every game on the other teams’s first drive anyway.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I’m not worried. We give up a TD every game on the other teams’s first drive anyway.

In most games. That’s right. And we can I’ll afford to do so tomorrow night with the precarious nature of our QB. 

I don’t like the feeling I have about this game. Hope I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

In most games. That’s right. And we can I’ll afford to do so tomorrow night with the precarious nature of our QB. 

I don’t like the feeling I have about this game. Hope I’m wrong. 

No offense dude, but quit being a pussy.  We'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1