2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

The mavs are number three on my “Dallas sports hierarchy” list, but he’s my favorite Dallas sports figure ever. If you’re ranking Dallas sports heroes, he sits at the top right? Even over all the cowboys? Maybe equal with Tom Landry? And still, that finals win is the second greatest sports moment of my life after VY Rosa Bowl NC.

Goddamn. Dirk is the fucking best.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The mavs are number three on my “Dallas sports hierarchy” list, but he’s my favorite Dallas sports figure ever. If you’re ranking Dallas sports heroes, he sits at the top right? Even over all the cowboys? Maybe equal with Tom Landry? And still, that finals win is the second greatest sports moment of my life after VY Rosa Bowl NC.

Goddamn. Dirk is the fucking best.

I was born in ‘80.  So I grew up seeing the Cowboys win 3.   Was still in college when I went to the game to watch Emmitt brake the record.  Dirk has been a Mav my entire adult life.  

Those two sit on the same pedestal for me.  

I was born in ‘80.  So I grew up seeing the Cowboys win 3.   Was still in college when I went to the game to watch Emmitt brake the record.  Dirk has been a Mav my entire adult life.  

This makes sense to me. I am probably a decade younger and I saw Emmit do it but I didn't really care at the time but Dirk is a in a different to me

Rick said it best, he’s the greatest athlete in Dallas sports history.

Yup. He’s further up the list of all-time greats in his sport than any other Dallas athlete IMO. That was a pretty awesome send off. Anxious to see what my Spurs do for him tomorrow night. I hope he plays.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yup. He’s further up the list of all-time greats in his sport than any other Dallas athlete IMO. That was a pretty awesome send off. Anxious to see what my Spurs do for him tomorrow night. I hope he plays.

I think he may play about 5-10 minutes.  Dirk, POP, and Timmy have had a really good relationship for years.  Not expecting anything outrageous, but wouldn’t doubt if Pop did something subtle due to their mutual respect for each other.  

Dirk basically said he would play tomorrow but didn’t know how long 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm about 4 years older than you. For me, a number of encounters with Emmit's in person and through 3rd parties will disqualify him from ever holding that position for me. Michael Irvin, on the other hand comes close. But my pedestal is reserved for a Dirk. He's a genuine good. Like no artificial ingredients, just a good dude.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

born in 82, mostly grew up in dallas til i left for UT in 2000.  this one's easy for me.  dirk never said he was a diamond surrounded by trash.

Edited by gsoda3

I'm about 4 years older than you. For me, a number of encounters with Emmit's in person and through 3rd parties will disqualify him from ever holding that position for me. Michael Irvin, on the other hand comes close. But my pedestal is reserved for a Dirk. He's a genuine good. Like no artificial ingredients, just a good dude.   
Just curious, what kinds of encounter did you have with Emmitt?

I'm 34 so the Triplets will always have a place with me.

Others in DFW sports would be Beltre and Modano. Those guys are very high on the list for me.

But Dirk is at the top for me. He's brought me my only championship I've experienced as an adult for DFW sports teams.

Did dallas show this much love for the custodian Brian Cardinal?

Jk much love to Dirk. I admit he got the best of KG throughout most of his career and Garnett is considered one of the best defenders ever.... that's how impossible it was to stop a 7 footer who can shoot it from anywhere all while putting it on the floor.

Modern day innovator... the pf/c has really evolved due to Dirk. Im glad I can say I watched him throughout his career. It'll be weird without him but it looks like you have another euro to be a pain in our sides for the next decade

What he did to miami was fucking awesome

Part of me wishes he would've done this next year and cover 4 decades over his career. Itd be very Dirk of him

• Like 3

Never been a big fan of the Mavericks but Nowitzski is perhaps my favorite professional athlete of all time.  Not because of what he's done on the court but how the guy carries himself - simply the epitome of how you want a high-profile athlete to act and behave.  Everything Nowitzski does and says comes out right.  He's the anti-Me and we could use so many more like him. 

Anybody seen any videos of Dirk's reaction while they were showing a video of him visiting children in the hospital? That was the only time he really lost it. It seemed like he tried to get away from everyone by running out and lining up at center court ready to play. But in a way it isolated the fact that he was emotional, and the crowd honored him once again.

Did this make the broadcast?

Edited by JohnnyRage

25 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Anybody seen any videos of Dirk's reaction while they were showing a video of him visiting children in the hospital? That was the only time he really lost it. It seemed like he tried to get away from everyone by running out and lining up at center court ready to play. But in a way it isolated the fact that he was emotional, and the crowd honored him once again.

Did this make the broadcast?

https://streamable.com/1om7x

The hospital stuff is what really caught my eye a few years back.  Nowitzski wanted no publicity or notoriety for it - no press release, no tweets. But Brad Townsend at the Morning News finally convinced him that a story should be written.  It's a good one and it's below. 

If you don't like Nowitzski then you probably don't like anyone on the face of the earth. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2017/07/27/kids-fighting-lives-childrens-dallas-uncle-dirk-gives-santa-run-money

1482262358-mavsinsider_1223spo.jpg?q=50&

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The hospital stuff is what really caught my eye a few years back.  Nowitzski wanted no publicity or notoriety for it - no press release, no tweets. But Brad Townsend at the Morning News finally convinced him that a story should be written.  It's a good one and it's below. 

If you don't like Nowitzski then you probably don't like anyone on the face of the earth. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2017/07/27/kids-fighting-lives-childrens-dallas-uncle-dirk-gives-santa-run-money

1482262358-mavsinsider_1223spo.jpg?q=50&

Bolded for truth