2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Well, the road to the bottom of the Western Conference playoffs are getting a little easier with Memphis, LAC, and NO purposely bowing out.  The Lakers will probably get in, even if they don't get AD and the young guys are butt hurt the rest of the year, but it would be fun to see Sacramento make a real push.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

So if you're the sixers are you at the point where you don't have a #1, #2, #3 guy?  What would your order be of who you put the ball in the hands of?

Embiid

Butler

Harris

JJ

Simmons?

I dont know but I do know Jimmy wont be happy with however it ends up.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont know but I do know Jimmy wont be happy with however it ends up.

I thought he was fine how he handled leaving Minny.  He should have never followed Thibbs and that mistake is on him, but I have no problem with him calling out his lazy teammates and demanding a trade.  He could have redeemed that blemish when he went to the sixers by just working hard and coaching up young guys that were also working hard.  Instead he is just a bitch now.  It was never about working hard like his excuse in Minny was.  It is about him doing whatever the fuck he wants. Such a disappointment.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

C'mon wolves. Please deal wiggins.

I don't think wiggins likes basketball.  If you told me that a superstar was going to retire after their current contract is up (given that they are 36 or younger) I would bet wiggins all day.  The guy just never has had any fire, going back to his HS days when KU was recruiting him.  He plays because he has talent, not because he likes to.  He just got lucky that his talent is in something that he can make $200M real quick and call it a day while I'm talented at jerking off and no one is paying me for that...... yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So if you're the sixers are you at the point where you don't have a #1, #2, #3 guy?  What would your order be of who you put the ball in the hands of?

Embiid

Butler

Harris

JJ

Simmons?

I doubt any of them would deny Embiid is the #1 guy. You hopefully don't need a strict order after that, other than Simmons knowing that if he has a lane to the basket he is free to take it strong. He and Joel should continue to do a great job finding whoever else is open based on game flow.

But I agree Butler could pollute the atmosphere, maybe even before the new guys take the court. Or maybe not until the offseason. Will be fascinating to watch.

Personally I’n a little confused by the Harris deal.  Is he a good player?  Yes, really good but he’s not really a traditional 3 and D guy. He’s shooting really well from 3 but he hasn’t been a catch and shoot guy in the past.  Love to see his metrics but haven’t had the time.  Don’t get me wrong, he makes them better but I wonder about marginal utility with 3 other ball dominant pieces there.  

Expensive deal but wonder if they would have been better going for guys like a Reggie Bullock or Trevor Ariza who should be available.  Then again maybe Brand knows he’s not gonna keep Jimmy B and Harris would be open to an extension...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Sixers at least found out what they might be able to get for Butler in these last 24 hrs before the deadline.   Harris is enough of a duplicate that they might see if they can get something of value and/or someone who won't be an asshole.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Personally I’n a little confused by the Harris deal.  Is he a good player?  Yes, really good but he’s not really a traditional 3 and D guy. He’s shooting really well from 3 but he hasn’t been a catch and shoot guy in the past.  Love to see his metrics but haven’t had the time.  Don’t get me wrong, he makes them better but I wonder about marginal utility with 3 other ball dominant pieces there.  

Expensive deal but wonder if they would have been better going for guys like a Reggie Bullock or Trevor Ariza who should be available.  Then again maybe Brand knows he’s not gonna keep Jimmy B and Harris would be open to an extension...

I read something like Harris was 5th in catch and shoot pct this yr.    He is also one of only a handful of guys avg'ing 20 with a TS% over 60.   All of the rest were superstar players IIRC.   That's pretty good.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Be interesting to see if he can maintain his three point consistency. Like you said he hasn’t been a great catch and shoot guy. All but the last two seasons he was 30-35% on catch and shoot. The past two years he was 41%. You gotta think with all those guys that can attack the rim that he should get plenty of corner three looks.

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Be interesting to see if he can maintain his three point consistency. Like you said he hasn’t been a great catch and shoot guy. All but the last two seasons he was 30-35% on catch and shoot. The past two years he was 41%. You gotta think with all those guys that can attack the rim that he should get plenty of corner three looks.

That would be great considering he is at 50% efficiency from both corners

Edited by d2o

41 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, Butler probably has too much of a rep now to get a decent return, but I would be tempted to cut bait on him if Harris will stay.  Butler is the better player and defender, but he’s realistically number 3 behind Embiid and Simmons and they don’t need him poisoning the well for the young guys.

This is why I posed the question about who is the guy.  They paid a whole lot for someone who might be their 5th option, and they depleted their bench.  Do you do that for the #5 guy?  If he is going to be a better option than JJ then do you do it for the #4 guy?  What if he is their #3?

They are going balls deep on this trade.  Maybe they do want to move Butler?  fuck they might look around the league and at Embiid and say "Joel has talked a little about wanting to win and a little about his role on the team.  If we don't do something he is going to AD us and we're just screwed," and so they are willing to overspend to make sure Joel doesn't have a wandering eye.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I read something like Harris was 5th in catch and shoot pct this yr.    He is also one of only a handful of guys avg'ing 20 with a TS% over 60.   All of the rest were superstar players IIRC.   That's pretty good.

I figured his catch and shoot % had bumped up as the Sixers are metric minded.  Thanks.  Still, if you make him a traditional stand in the corner 3 and D guy, I think you mute his overall potential.  A lot of moving parts but if they turn around and re-sign Harris and either let Jimmy go or send him out in a S&T then I understand it more, but then the Jimmy B trade comes under more scrutiny although Saric has sort of sucked this year.... Can you imagine if the Sixers had taken their thumb out of their ass and just done a Covington/Saric/Fultz and first for Kawhi and Danny Green last summer?   Wowsers.  Philly definitely is better with Harris in the fold though.

55 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I figured his catch and shoot % had bumped up as the Sixers are metric minded.  Thanks.  Still, if you make him a traditional stand in the corner 3 and D guy, I think you mute his overall potential.  A lot of moving parts but if they turn around and re-sign Harris and either let Jimmy go or send him out in a S&T then I understand it more, but then the Jimmy B trade comes under more scrutiny although Saric has sort of sucked this year.... Can you imagine if the Sixers had taken their thumb out of their ass and just done a Covington/Saric/Fultz and first for Kawhi and Danny Green last summer?   Wowsers.  Philly definitely is better with Harris in the fold though.

Can you imagine the Kawhi bullshit being followed by the Fultz bullshit? Pop would commit murder at half court. 

8 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Can you imagine the Kawhi bullshit being followed by the Fultz bullshit? Pop would commit murder at half court. 

I wonder if between Pop and Chip, if Fultz's situation would have been the same result.  Not saying he'd be in the 3 point contest but it's obvious he has a mental issue and needs a fresh start.  After another year in the fog, you have to wonder how long or if he'll make it back.  He has talent.  I'd take a chance on him if I wasn't a championship contender.... obviously his trade value has plummeted so they'd have to sell him for cheap.

Speaking of Philly..... they're going to try and keep Butler and Harris.  Simmons' rookie deal helps them do this....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Kevin Arnovitz has been saying they need an upgrade at 3 to make a run and they have the cap room and since they aren't a FA destination they liked HB

Feel bad saying this because reportedly Barnes is a great dude and great in his community, but Barnes isn't really an upgrade on much.  There are multiple players available, some who have moved today, who are as good or better value (for the money).  Again, solid solid rep so maybe Vlade is putting a lot of stock in his locker room presence and community work, but on the court, he's vastly overpaid.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So..... basically it's all bullshit about winning b/c the Knicks need a lot of things to go right and fall into place.  Just say you want more fame and brand recognition and don't think you can do it organically in New Orleans.

AD is a asshole of a human being 

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So..... basically it's all bullshit about winning b/c the Knicks need a lot of things to go right and fall into place.  Just say you want more fame and brand recognition and don't think you can do it organically in New Orleans.

Better yet, have your uncle say it for you.