Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

I appreciate this contribution to the thread.

As a way of explaining my viewpoint on Nationalism, I'd like to give a "cool starry bro" that helped me begin to have a bit of understanding.

Until after my senior year in high school in the late 1980s, I think that my views of America, patriotism, etc. were probably not that different from most on this board or elsewhere. I was raised as a WASP in a small West Texas town, but our school always seemed to have a lot of exchange students because of a really active local Rotary Club. A friend of mine spent a year in Belgium and that inspired me to sign up for the program before heading off to college.

I was sent to France. It was there that I began to learn (as an outsider) how ethnicity, culture, nationality, language, etc., create a really strong national identity on such a fundamental, tribal level. Either you were French or you were not. No amount of "assimilation" could change that. It's a mode of thought that I don't think most of us can fully comprehend because we're so accustomed to thinking of ourselves as "one of many." 

Because of the melting pot, pluralist nature of the modern American population, I'm not sure we have the equivalent (maybe at a kind of neighborhood-level where there are clear outsiders versus "one of our own" in ethnic enclaves).

At any rate, it is precisely that tribalistic instinct of strong connections to a single, tribal identity that is so dangerous. It's one thing to love and be proud of your home and country but it's something entirely different to think that it and your way of life are beyond reproach - that you and your group are "naturally" superior to all others and cannot question your status or how you might learn.

I'd argue that it is that sort of calcified, written-in-stone type of attitude that led to so many of the wars in Europe. It truly is a very different and unwavering tribalistic attitude that is really different to describe. And it's that kind of thought process, especially in Europe, that is so horribly dangerous and destructive. For that reason, alone, one should be able to see the value in creating institutions like NATO, the EU, and the UN to create a common identity that can be shared beyond the confines of a relatively small geographic area.

I'm probably rambling at this point, but I truly hope that I've been able to communicate something of value that would give you even more caution about the danger of Nationalism both here and abroad.

• Like 2

Will someone with a texaggy account post the below on their giddy RBG thread where they’re convinced the Democrats are hiding her corpse? 

(This is a good reminder we should never play or associate with them ever again.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/02/ruth-bader-ginsburg-night-out-musical-notorious-rbg-in-song/amp?__twitter_impression=true

9 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Saw this somewhere else

McInnes, Aurini, Roosh/roach, Matt Forney etc are all degenerate scam artists
 former pick up artists, internet marketers, schemers pretending to represent traditio nalism

Happy to say I don't know, or care, who the fuck any of those people are.

• Like 1

A Virginia state senator who voted against allowing the removal of Confederate monuments was a leader in an ROTC company in college that flew the Confederate flag, making him the latest politician in the Old Dominion to face new questions about the South’s racist past.

reeves-senate-mug-225x300.jpg

Reeves (Virginia Senate)

While a student at Texas A&M University in the 1980s, Bryce Reeves, now a Republican whose district runs from Charlottesville to Fredericksburg, was a member of Company B-2 in the famed Corps of Cadets.

The company, an Army ROTC outfit, made heavy use of the Confederate flag, including in its logo, which depicted a wooden barrel over the flag. According to the university’s 1987 yearbook, Reeves was named the “Guidon Bearer” of Company B-2, which labeled itself as having “The Best Damn Outfit on the campus.”

A photograph posted to a Facebook group dedicated to the company appeared to show Reeves standing with eight other students waving the flag in 1986, more than 120 years after the Confederacy collapsed in 1865.

brycereeves-413x300.jpg

Reeves (at right in back row) with fellow members of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, Company B, in 1986. (Facebook)

In the 1990s, Texas A&M barred members of the Corps of Cadets from using the Confederate flag in their logos or displaying it in their dorm rooms, the Dallas Morning News reported.

In February 2016, Reeves voted to make it unlawful for local authorities to remove Confederate monuments throughout Virginia. Then-Gov. Terry McAuliffe called this “a sweeping override of local authorities” and “interpretive signage to tell the story of some of our darkest moments during the Civil War.”

Earlier this year, Reeves voted against ending “Lee Jackson Day,” a state holiday commemorating the lives of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Company B-2, which labeled itself as having “The Best Damn Outfit on the campus.”

Well that's obviously bullshit - Squadron 17 is the best damn outfit on campus.

(Every unit says that, it's part of the unit yell. And in the Corps yell, the corps is the best damn outfit on campus)

Earlier this year, Reeves voted against ending “Lee Jackson Day,” a state holiday commemorating the lives of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson.

You know - every legislator in Texas should get hell for us still having Confederate Hero's day.

However, HB1183 will die on the vine, like it always does because Texas.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Staying with the completely irrelevant analogy, who were the street dealers of slaves once they reached America?

If you look at his twitter feed in general, he pulls a gotcha and claims he was talking about the Africans that sold the slaves to the slave traders in Africa, not the ones who were actually sold into slavery.  Those are the "blacks" of the analogy.  The whole thing is a terribly dumb racial scorecard exercise.

18 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If you look at his twitter feed in general, he pulls a gotcha and claims he was talking about the Africans that sold the slaves to the slave traders in Africa, not the ones who were actually sold into slavery.  Those are the "blacks" of the analogy.  The whole thing is a terribly dumb racial scorecard exercise.

White people trying to mitigate African slavery by laying blame on Africans is as bizarre as it is telling.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

White people trying to mitigate African slavery by laying blame on Africans is as bizarre as it is telling.

...and as common as the housefly. I grew up hearing that argument from my own dad, who was a (shitty) history teacher, whenever the topic of slavery was broached. The argument pretty much boils down to "Africans were slavers before Europeans began colonizing the Dark Continent; therefore Africans are the ones who really need to be blamed for slavery in the New World. And, as a result, Americans should not be blamed."

It's the same line of logic as:

shes_a_witch.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I can’t read what you linked bolverk.

I just see a long link and when I click it, I get this -

584f1032796b937319375d203b7e5ebe.jpg

It was just a retroactive edit to copy/paste your post and forward it onto this page. Sorry.

Still trying to figure out the sometimes clunky software on this new site.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2019/02/14/25885836/texts-show-protective-relationship-between-portland-cops-and-patriot-prayer

"We have a large group of antifa trying to flank us an you. We are stopping them for now... but not sure how long."

This is one of hundreds of text messages sent between Portland Police Bureau (PPB) Lt. Jeff Niiya and Joey Gibson, leader of Vancouver alt-right group Patriot Prayer over the past two years. Like many messages discovered in a records request made in August by the Portland Mercury, it reflects many of the public's suspicions that the Portland police have been sympathetic—if not protective—of the right-wing extremist group.

The recorded text conversations show an unprecedented level of access between a member of the public and a police officer. Gibson regularly texts Niiya asking him to investigate people based on comments made on Patriot Prayer's Facebook page, or on a video a member of Patriot Prayer took of a member of antifa.

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy