2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

On 10/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, Cuernavaca said:

I liked the BCS formula better than the CFP. With 4 teams in.... I trust the computers more in making the right call over Condi Rice or any of the other war criminals on the committee.

Keep that shit in the cloak room, fuckface. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Texas has a better strength of schedule rating than Oklahoma...

Michigan scored less at Michigan State, than the Spartans gave up to Utah State...

The are now pimping SOR, basically how hard would it be for the average top 25 team to achieve the record you have.  It's an SEC circle jerk with 5 of the top 10 SEC. 

LSU-2, Bama-4, Kentucky-6, UGA-8, and gata-10th

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

The are now pimping SOR, basically how hard would it be for the average top 25 team to achieve the record you have.  It's an SEC circle jerk with 5 of the top 10 SEC. 

LSU-2, Bama-4, Kentucky-6, UGA-8, and gata-10th

Gotta protect that SECN at all times, I guess...

15 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Texas has a better strength of schedule rating than Oklahoma...

Michigan scored less at Michigan State, than the Spartans gave up to Utah State...

Got to make UCF look bad at #127....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

When are the 2018 College Football Playoff Rankings announced?

College Football Playoff-112016-GETTY-FTRCollege Football Playoff logo(Getty Images)

The College Football Playoff rankings are coming soon, and the real debates are coming with them.  

The first of five weekly rankings will be unveiled on Tuesday, Oct. 30. That begins the journey to selecting the four College Football Playoff teams for this season's semifinals, which will be played Dec. 29 at the Capital One Orange Bowl and Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic.

Here are some need-to-know facts about the 2018 College Football Playoff rankings. 

When are the College Football Playoff rankings released? 

The first set of College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 30. ESPN televises the rankings each week, but the times have yet to be determined and are flexible from week to week. There will be five sets of rankings released every Tuesday before the final rankings on Dec. 2  

Here is this year's schedule  

WEEK .   DATE     TIME

Week 10 Tuesday, Oct. 30   TBD

Week 11 Tuesday, Nov. 6.    TBD

Week 12 Tuesday, Nov. 13.  TBD

Week 13 Tuesday, Nov. 20.  TBD

Championship Tuesday, Nov. 27   TBD

Selection Day Sunday, Dec. 2        TBD

When is Selection Day for the College Football Playoff? 

Selection Day for the College Football Playoff is Sunday, Dec. 2 — the day after conference championship weekend. That's when the four teams for the 2018 College Football Playoff semifinals will be selected.

Where are this year's CFP semifinals?

This year's College Football Playoff semifinals will be played on Saturday, Dec. 29. One semifinal will be at the Capital One Orange Bowl at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., and the other will be played at the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.  One semifinal will start at 4 p.m. ET and the other will start at 8 p.m. ET.

Where is this year's CFP championship?  

The 2019 College Football Playoff championship will be played Monday, Jan. 7, at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. Game time is scheduled for 8 p.m. on ESPN.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-2018-release-date-schedule-cfp-selection-day-committee-national-championship/3fksxpsq3org1g5ssx1rk4umi

Who is on the College Football Playoff committee? 

Bill Hancock, Executive director 
Ron Mullens, Chair Oregon athletic director  
Joe Castiglione, Oklahoma athletic director  
Chris Howard, Robert Morris University president 
Herb Deromedi, former Central Michigan coach 
Jeff Bower, former Southern Miss coach  
Ronnie Lott, former USC defensive back  
Bobby Johnson, former Vanderbilt coach 
Scott Stricklin, Florida athletic director  
Gene Smith, Ohio State athletic director 
Frank Beamer, former Virginia Tech coach  
Paola Boivin, former reporter for The Arizona Republic  
Ken Hatfield, former Rice, Air Force, Clemson, Arkansas coach 
Todd Stansbury, Georgia Tech athletic director  
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Who is on the College Football Playoff committee? 

Bobby Johnson, former Vanderbilt coach 

Sure is good to know Bobby Johnson, straightened out his life, and found a new career...

Also glad to see Condi Rice is no longer on the committee, as that was quite a head scratcher to more than just myself, I am sure...

Edited by kopp0e
  • Fuck You 1

I was listening to BIG 12 channel on Sirius XM this morning (Big time football!!) Tom Lugenbill brought up the great point that we should have kept the BCS formula and extend it to the top 4 spots.  People were complaining because they did not understand the algorithm, however even with a panel of 13 or so representatives who some have no football background, it's just as confusing.

Then he went on and said that ou is still the favorite and the best team in the conference, and cont'd to fellatio the 4' ewok in norman.

20 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Also glad to see Condi Rice is no longer on the committee, as that was quite a head scratcher to more than just myself, I am sure...

Would rather have Condi Rice than Gene "slap on the wrist" Smith and Joe Castiglione.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

On a neutral field in the Big 12 title game, they’d have an 81 percent chance of winning a rematch against Texas and a 74 percent chance of beating WVU. 

I can see liking OU over Texas based on the season's body of work so far.  I guess I can see thinking that our win was a bit of a fluke.  But 81% is too much.

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

I can see liking OU over Texas based on the season's body of work so far.  I guess I can see thinking that our win was a bit of a fluke.  But 81% is too much.

we controlled the game. when we were playing our normal game and they were playing their normal game, we were the better team. when it got down to a 4th quarter up by 3 TDs trying to just run out the clock, we weren't as good. i wouldn't call our win a fluke at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Then you're retarded.

No he's not. The history books are littered with teams that have lost rematches, from last year's SEC championship to the whole 2011 fiasco to the 1997 Sugar Bowl, and so on and so forth. blOU, for all their faults, are the No. 1 offensive team in the country and have dominated teams to a degree we haven't yet.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

No he's not. The history books are littered with teams that have lost rematches, from last year's SEC championship to the whole 2011 fiasco to the 1997 Sugar Bowl, and so on and so forth. blOU, for all their faults, are the No. 1 offensive team in the country and have dominated teams to a degree we haven't yet.

I know one team they didn't dominate

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The history books are also littered with offensive juggernauts dominating less athletic opponents and then losing when they get hit by an athletically equal opponent. Like, say, 2008 Oklahoma for example. Twice. And 2018 Oklahoma. Once. So far.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

I realize most of the participants are going to have conflicts/allegiances but why would they put active Athletic Directors in these positions? Their jobs literally depend on only the football programs at those schools(maybe not so true at Oregon). 

Edited by pacman

Heard a discussion on the radio yesterday how SEC might be better off if BAMA would finish with one Loss either to LSU or in the SEC Championship Game thereby assuring the SEC 2 Teams in the playoffs.......smh

Earlier this week Joel Klatt stated on Rich Eisen's show that he prefers a rule that only Conference Champions qualify for the Playoffs so that all regular season games matter.  He also thinks having one conference champion left out of the playoff each year is good as well. 

Unfortunately a question about an independent like Notre Dame qualifying for the playoffs did not come up.

SB Nation (not a fan of TEXAS)

If College Football Playoff rankings arrived 1 week early, they’d look like this

The committee’s first top-25 will release Oct. 30, but we have a pretty good idea how they’d look right now and who’d be maddest about them.

By Jason Kirk  Oct 23, 2018

Though we don’t have College Football Playoff rankings to go on just yet, the committee isn’t that big of a mystery. We can make solid guesses on how they’d have teams stacked up at this point, if it were to release a top-25 before Oct. 30.

(I mean, it’s kind of a mystery by design, just because it barely explains any of its decisions, but if you’ve followed it for a few years, you can start to see its thinking, whether you agree or not.)

It’s time to bring back an annual exercise, which has previously done a solid job at predicting teams the committee’s high on (Penn State’s big jump in 2016 and Georgia taking No. 1 from Bama in 2017, for example). After studying numbers that’ve tended to line up well with CFP rankings, here’s how I’d guess these teams would rank. Several are in groups for now.

1: Alabama

Simple. And since Bama’s on a bye before the first rankings reveal, you can go ahead and lock in the initial No. 1 team.

Quibble over strength of schedule if it makes you feel better, but Bama’s is happily comparable to any other unbeaten team’s, per the metric that goes into Resume S&P+:

SOS rankings for college football’s unbeaten teams:

47. Notre Dame

59. Alabama

68. Clemson

124. UCF

129. USF

Beyond that, the Tide have thoroughly humbled everything placed in front of them, something you can’t say about any other team in FBS.

2: Clemson

The committee will partially excuse the Tigers’ struggle with Syracuse, chalking it up to a third-string QB having to win the game. That’s not really even speculation, because the committee said it factored Clemson’s QB injuries against Cuse last year, too.

Otherwise, the Tigers have smoked everything, other than a tough trip to Texas A&M, which will count as a top-25 road win.

CPI, a sort of football version of basketball’s RPI, ranks Clemson’s accomplishments No. 1 in the country so far. And the Tigers are No. 2 in almost every other ranking, including the Massey Composite, which collects allthe rankings.

3: Notre Dame

The only other Power 5-ish unbeaten should be dinged for close calls against Ball State, Vanderbilt, and Pitt.

It should also get a ton of credit for arguably having beaten a better team than anybody else in the country has (Michigan).

The numbers don’t have a better answer for that dichotomy than I do. ESPN’s Strength of Record, which seeks to guess how the average top-25 team would’ve handled a schedule, ranks them No. 1. CPI has them No. 3. Aaaand Resume S&P+, which tries to guess how a Playoff team would’ve handled a schedule, has them all the way down at No. 17.

The uptake: the Irish have beaten an impressive list of teams, but have rarely played all that impressively in doing so.

4 and 5, in some order: Michigan and LSU

Do you prefer to go by who you’ve played or how you’ve played?

LSU’s gone 4-1 against teams that were ranked at kickoff. The committee does not care about where a team used to be ranked, but still, the Tigers rank No. 2 in CPI and Strength of Record.

Going by how they’ve played, though? LSU is No. 15 in S&P+, meaning that system — which tends to beat Vegas — would pick 14 other teams to beat the Tigers on a neutral field right now.

Michigan, meanwhile, is No. 4 in S&P+ and no lower than No. 7 in any other metric cited here.

In the past, the committee’s made surprising calls in each direction, so I could see this either way. If I had to bet, I’d guess Michigan at No. 4.

6 through 12: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, and possibly somebody else

Excuse the vagueness, but we have a log jam. There’s a case to put this bunch in almost any order.

Florida’s beaten LSU, but should it rank ahead of Kentucky, due to head-to-head?

The computers still like Georgia, Ohio State, and Oklahoma, but the first two have lost blowouts, and the third lost to ...

... Texas, a team that’s very rarely looked top-10-worthy and will likely be exposed again, but has that dubious win over OU (the Sooners outgained UT by 3 yards per play).

I think the committee should rank Oklahoma No. 6 and Texas No. 11, then not look at social media for a week. S&P+ has OU at No. 3 and Texas at No. 38. These teams have played too many games this year to base the entire decision on just one close result.

But I have no clue what the committee would actually do with this group.

After that:

You can mostly just use some combo of the rankings cited in here for a loose estimate. The Massey Composite is probably the best single number for that purpose.

Team whose fans would be happiest: Iowa

The same as last week. The AP Poll is still underrating the Hawkeyes (No. 18), despite them adding a 23-0 demolition of Maryland (the mediocre team that beat Texas, icymi). They’re No. 9 in the Massey Composite and No. 11 in Resume S&P+.

A win over Penn State next weekend would finally catch the pollsters’ attention, but if the committee were ranking teams this week, I promise Iowa would be higher than No. 18.

Team whose fans would be maddest, besides UCF’s: A few contenders

Last week, I had Oregon in this spot. The Ducks then lost to a lower-ranked team by two touchdowns.

There’s a case for ranking the Longhorns basically anywhere, though I don’t see any way the committee would have them up at No. 6, like the AP does. The Massey consensus has them down at No. 13.

West Virginia would also likely drop a few spots from their AP perch of No. 13. The Eers average a No. 20 ranking in every other metric in this post.

I could see Kentucky getting snubbed. They aren’t exactly the kind of “balanced” team the committee says it likes to go for, with a subpar offense and terrible passing game, and the computers are suspicious.

As for UCF, they’re not quite as impressive as they were a year ago, when this site might’ve been the first national voice to authoritatively call them drastically underrated. They’d deserve a Backup QB Mulligan for their comfortable win over ECU in Week 8, but a starting ranking in the mid-teens would be more defensible than it was last time. The Knights are No. 16 in the Massey Composite.

I largely agree with Kirk Herbstreit, who made a case on GameDay (partially using S&P+) that the 2018 New Year’s Six race shouldn’t yet be considered The UCF Story: A Story Entirely About UCF.

We’ll see in one week how the actual committee ranks ‘em.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/23/18008650/playoff-rankings-predictions-2018

On 10/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, satyanash said:

Um ok? Did they beat Texas? Nope. So who gives a shit about the rest.

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

6 through 12: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, and possibly somebody else

Excuse the vagueness, but we have a log jam. There’s a case to put this bunch in almost any order.

Florida’s beaten LSU, but should it rank ahead of Kentucky, due to head-to-head?

The computers still like Georgia, Ohio State, and Oklahoma, but the first two have lost blowouts, and the third lost to ...

... Texas, a team that’s very rarely looked top-10-worthy and will likely be exposed again, but has that dubious win over OU (the Sooners outgained UT by 3 yards per play).

I think the committee should rank Oklahoma No. 6 and Texas No. 11, then not look at social media for a week. S&P+ has OU at No. 3 and Texas at No. 38. These teams have played too many games this year to base the entire decision on just one close result.

There’s a case for ranking the Longhorns basically anywhere, though I don’t see any way the committee would have them up at No. 6, like the AP does. The Massey consensus has them down at No. 13.

xB9oGyM.gif

On 10/23/2018 at 11:59 PM, Valmy77 said:

Wait so the only Big 12 Rep on that committee is Castiglione?

That...might not be ideal for us.

Theoretically,  if ou and tx win out,  texas wins the conference ccg, wouldn't castiglone want texas in the playoff because it would allow ou to play in a "ny6" bowl?   Vs texas playing in that premier bowl and ou going to the Alamo or whatever.   Or would he cut off his dick to spite his face? 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Blackledge would have us at #7 behind jawja (assuming we come out of Stillwater with a win, obviously)

image.png

Well if we win in Stillwater, one of Alabama and LSU are going to have lost so we might move up. Heck I suppose Georgia might have lost as well.