Early Voting 2018 thread of doom

Pancho

Houston Library in Tarrytown was packed and one of the librarians said there was a line down the block yesterday.   She did say voting picked up after 9am, and to get there early and there would be no wait.  

Also, for those with early-voting libraries nearby, the normal library hours do not apply.   

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Is The Woodlands still like 95% white?  I lived there for a few years when I was younger, and the whiteness of The Woodlands really stood out to me when I lived in other suburbs of Houston with some diversity.  

Not like it used to be.  

The Woodlands always had an unfair reputation about many being racist - many a white soccer mom there was more than happy to fuck the Honduran pool boy or Mexican lawn guy or Guatemalan roofer.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not like it used to be.  

The Woodlands always had an unfair reputation about many being racist - many a white soccer mom there was more than happy to fuck the Honduran pool boy or Mexican lawn guy or Guatemalan roofer.  

Also all the kids are popping mom's prescription drugs for fun.

32 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Sugar Land is very diverse.  I think Sri Kulkarni has a legit shot to take TX-22.

U.S. House, Texas District 22 Democratic Primary, 2018
Candidate Vote % Votes
Green check mark transparent.png Sri Preston Kulkarni 31.81% 9,466
Green check mark transparent.png Letitia Plummer 24.30% 7,230
Steve Brown 20.99% 6,246
Margarita Ruiz Johnson 12.66% 3,767
Mark Gibson 10.24% 3,046
Total Votes 29,755

[hide]U.S. House, Texas District 22 Republican Primary, 2018
Candidate Vote % Votes
Green check mark transparent.png Pete Olson Incumbent 78.39% 35,782
Danny Nguyen 13.52% 6,170
James Green 5.52% 2,521
Eric Zmrhal 2.57% 1,174
Total Votes 45,647

Based on the primary votes he better get a huge Dem turnout to have a chance.  Would expect he doesn't.

4 minutes ago, El Tri said:

yeah no. rich people in Monterrey put the rich people here to shame

i used to work for a rich monterrey family.  they had a family business and they would have board meetings in austin.  three different private planes to fly different family members were used for safety.

5 minutes ago, MAROON said:
U.S. House, Texas District 22 Democratic Primary, 2018
Candidate Vote % Votes
Green check mark transparent.png Sri Preston Kulkarni 31.81% 9,466
Green check mark transparent.png Letitia Plummer 24.30% 7,230
Steve Brown 20.99% 6,246
Margarita Ruiz Johnson 12.66% 3,767
Mark Gibson 10.24% 3,046
Total Votes 29,755

[hide]U.S. House, Texas District 22 Republican Primary, 2018
Candidate Vote % Votes
Green check mark transparent.png Pete Olson Incumbent 78.39% 35,782
Danny Nguyen 13.52% 6,170
James Green 5.52% 2,521
Eric Zmrhal 2.57% 1,174
Total Votes 45,647

Based on the primary votes he better get a huge Dem turnout to have a chance.  Would expect he doesn't.

The Cook Political Report yesterday revised their rating for TX-22 from "likely R" to "lean R."  

11 minutes ago, El Tri said:

yeah no. rich people in Monterrey put the rich people here to shame

I worked with a rich girl from Monterrey at Disney in college. She switched out a new fancy car every month (literally) and I asked her what her family did and she said they owned a hospital. I guess that'll do it.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Randalls in Westlake, Lakeway, and both in south Austin are over an hour now.  Not suspicious at all Randalls.  You holding voters hostage in there?  

"Must make purchase of at least 1 week of groceries before leaving."

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I went to high school in Fort Bend County.  The place that sent Tom DeLay to Congress went for Hillary in 2016.  

Obviously there are exceptions and the suburbs may be turning against Trump, but I live in the Atlanta area and I know what he's talking about. There are lots of white-flight scared old white people in Roswell, Cumming, somewhat Alpharetta, etc.

Day 2 total for the top 16 counties:

ZZSgzVUv_o.jpg

Edits since yesterday

• formatted the numbers to only show thousands.  Ex.  Houston daily count was 64,781 but shows 65.
  • added the cumulative numbers
  • created an enthusiasm column to see how the turnout rates against 2016.

Harris and Bexar are slacking from 2016 #s, where El Paso and Fort Bend are exceeding 2016 turnout. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Sugar Land is very diverse.  I think Sri Kulkarni has a legit shot to take TX-22.

Real interaction from mid 2010's. 

Woman working for title company during closing: "I see you're not moving to New Territory. Good"

Me and wife: "It wasn't for us. Why do you say that?"

Woman working for title company during closing: "It seems to be all our closings latetly. New Terriority is very hot... or as I like to call it, New Dehli." [winks]

Me and wife: [both turn to one another and raise eyebrows]

If the Republican Party of the late 90's to mid 2000's were still around, TX-22 would be just as solid red as it was back in Delay's time... maybe more.

Low taxes, less government, and family values would play well I think in a lot of south asian / east asian communities.

The problem is, now the Repubs are so anit-immigrant that they've turned off a whole demographic block that they could have secured for at least a generation.

Or maybe not, I'm not political scientist.

This is why gubernatorial elections are so important:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/24/chuck-grassley-republican-democrat-iowa-senate-judiciary-committee-reynolds-hubbell-trump-election/1749335002/?fbclid=IwAR1zBlAHzDN2_GYZYXuAkXZKYs-ZiTqYcu13wbhhcRKwBEWYDn9pk7AXNSU

Sen. Chuck Grassley warns that Democrat could replace him in Senate if Gov. Reynolds loses

Even he knows he's 85 and not up again until 2022.

Also, rumor that Senator Kennedy could opt to run for LA Gov in 2019, resigning his seat, which would then have an appointment by Governor John Bel Edwards (D) to serve until 2020.  If the Senate is 50/50 or 51/49 R, Kennedy resigning to be replaced by a Democrat could tip the balance. 

He said he will decide by 12/1.  If I'm JBE, I just appoint myself. 

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Woman working for title company during closing: "I see you're not moving to New Territory. Good"

Woman working for title company during closing: "It seems to be all our closings latetly. New Terriority is very hot... or as I like to call it, New Dehli." [winks]

If the Republican Party of the late 90's to mid 2000's were still around, TX-22 would be just as solid red as it was back in Delay's time... maybe more.

Low taxes, less government, and family values would play well I think in a lot of south asian / east asian communities.

The problem is, now the Repubs are so anit-immigrant that they've turned off a whole demographic block that they could have secured for at least a generation.

Or maybe not, I'm not political scientist.

Indians are not uniformly Dem.  Far from it.  Many are pro-business / gimme-my-taxes-and-fuck-everyone-else type conservatives.  And a not-insignificant slice are flat-out Islamophobes who vote for whichever party promises to oppress Muslims.  (So, guess who they align with?)

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Indians are not uniformly Dem.  Far from it.  Many are pro-business / gimme-my-taxes-and-fuck-everyone-else type conservatives.  And a not-insignificant slice are flat-out Islamophobes who vote for whichever party promises to oppress Muslims.  (So, guess who they align with?)

Actually, I would say that as recently as 2015, they've been uniformly GOP.  But the anti-brown people position the GOP has adopted over the last three years has had a serious impact on that community, to the point that I would say that it might lean slightly Democratic.

But there is a very serious generational split in that community.  I think people younger than 45 lean strongly Democratic.  But people over 60 remain strongly Republican.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/24/chuck-grassley-republican-democrat-iowa-senate-judiciary-committee-reynolds-hubbell-trump-election/1749335002/?fbclid=IwAR1zBlAHzDN2_GYZYXuAkXZKYs-ZiTqYcu13wbhhcRKwBEWYDn9pk7AXNSU

Also, rumor that Senator Kennedy could opt to run for LA Gov in 2019, resigning his seat, which would then have an appointment by Governor John Bel Edwards (D) to serve until 2020.  If the Senate is 50/50 or 51/49 R, Kennedy resigning to be replaced by a Democrat could tip the balance. 

Whenever the GOP is losing, they resort to hate, fear, and long shot conspiracy theories. 

Grassley needs to just fuck off. The dude was embarrassing in the kavanaugh hearings. 

Democrats appear to be doing very well in Iowa this year, probably because of trumps tariffs.

Edited by Voldemort86

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Grassley can easily solve that problem by resigning today. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But there is a very serious generational split in that community.  I think people younger than 45 lean strongly Democratic.  But people over 60 remain strongly Republican.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of the over 60 crowd.  In my experience, they’ve been split approximately 50-50 for a while.  

7 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

New territory isn't that bad. It's a middle-aged (mid 90's) neighborhood by Sugar Land standards with a sizable population of white Boomer empty-nesters and a sprinkling of olds. My precinct in the northeast of NT went for Trump by 6 points, IIRC. It's certainly diverse, though.

You're thinking of paTelfair, a real Sri Kulkarni stronghold. Drive through and notice the yard signs. I put them there myself. With permission, of course.

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Correct, but Indian Americans break hard for their guy, if they happen to have one in the race. They do. Kulkarni will win the IA vote by 70 points, at minimum.

He's been all over the ethnic south and east Asian radio and TV stations giving interviews and has interviews and ad buys in all the Asian language and English language Asian cultural rags around town. He counts Hindi and Chinese among the 6 languages he speaks. The dude isn't shy about grabbing that Asian American vote.

He'll need the big turnout of minorities and professionals in Fort Bend to offset what will likely be tough sledding in Brazoria County, Shadow Creek Ranch aside.

If, IF he can pull it off next month, the seat will be his until he gets bored with it. He's as likely to win as Beto, if not moreso.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, Pancho Negro said:

Get out of work at 10:50am and driving straight to the polling location at West Gray and Waugh in Houston.

I went to the Bingo and drink place at VFW lodge in the Heights yesterday. In and out in a little under 20 minutes. Wife went today and she was in and out in 15. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but Gillum went in HARD on Desantis tonight in the debate

these are the types of democrats we've been needing for a long time. strong, smart, sound in conviction. that dude is awesome. desantis continually looks like a scolded child in these debates. dude is weak - it shows on his face and in his body language. go Gillum. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Beto has said he will not run for president (at least for 6 years). I bet Gillum is prepping for a run for bigger office

The FBI investigation is president AIDS.

I think Senate is his ceiling if he can pull this election out.

The FBI investigation is president AIDS.
I think Senate is his ceiling if he can pull this election out.
The current President is an admitted sexual predator, is corrupt as they get, and is openly racist. Oh, and being investigated by a special prosecutor.

While the FBI investigation (my knowledge of it is limited beyond the basics) may be an issue, especially because a black candidate is held to a higher standard, the idea that "President AIDS" even exists at this point is pretty lulzy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I went to the Bingo and drink place at VFW lodge in the Heights yesterday. In and out in a little under 20 minutes. Wife went today and she was in and out in 15. 

Harris county did a good job over setting up extra voting booths and personnel at the early voting locations.

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harris county did a good job over setting up extra voting booths and personnel at the early voting locations.

#votersuppressionmetoo

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

#votersuppressionmetoo

It’s not the county that is causing the problems.  Gotta look to Austin for those policies.   I’m sure Patrick would like to find a way to make voting more difficult in Harris county.  “In counties with more than 2m voters, 4 forms of ID are required and a letter from Epstein’s mom.”

18 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Waited 45 min at UTSA to vote around noon. Needed to go to work so busted out of line. Will try another time maybe at a different place.

My wife waited about 45 minutes at Igo Library before lunch, and I had the same wait at the Shavano City Hall after lunch yesterday.  But those are in the same area if you want to try a different place.