Early Voting 2018 thread of doom

Pancho

^
Good point.  I was at Randall's this morning to buy some extra water for pregnant wife and toddler given the boil water notice.  I parked in a massively full parking lot and thought, "Oh shit, there's a run on water."  Nope, got inside.  Yeah, a lot of folks were buying water but there was also a line about 40 deep to early vote.  We are more conservative than South Austin but more liberal than the rest of suburban Texas.  Anyway, I just bought some big jugs of water and decided to wait to vote with my family to enforce civic engagement to our little one.  

However, to this above post...I voted a couple of times whilst working on campus.  And am on campus today to prep my lectures and walked through Flawn.  And yes, the ass is strong with this poll.  

4 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I wish I could take a pic of this polling location. I’m at the back of the line. (Ha!) damn near 100+ deep, maybe more. 

Started a timer so we shall see. I think people thought this would be quick on their lunch break.

Metro is never fast. Ever 

32 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Because you can go to any precinct you want instead of a particular one on actual voting day

Got it. Still, seems like going to early vote on day 1 of the early voting period is stupid. 

Unless you just love standing in long lines. 

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Got it. Still, seems like going to early vote on day 1 of the early voting period is stupid. 

It’s more of a political statement IMO.  

Like, “We’re fucking pissed and so ready for change we’re willing to sacrifice more time to display our collective “fuck you” to those in power.” 

democracy yay!

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

It's important for the members of the population who frequently don't vote because "something came up." I'll be voting today because I don't have anything scheduled whereas with three kids, two in multiple activities, rainouts and rescheduled fall baseball games, and the other kid with major medical issues I truly have no idea if i'll be available any other day through Election Day. Hell, I'm only assuming I don't get a call today telling me something has come up.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Call me old fashioned or a moron but I still like going on Election Day to vote. Maybe it's because my polling place is never that busy. I'm usually the 60th person in the mid afternoon when I arrive. Plus I don't trust the electronic voting machines at all. 

Wait, what? No paper ballots during early voting? What kind of bullshit is that?

42 minutes ago, TornACL said:

What exactly is the point of early voting if you have to wait in some long ass line just like on election day? 

Because you are excited to vote. So you can tell your family/friends/colleagues that you voted early. Maybe that will get them to the polls earlier instead of saying "ah, fuck it" and finding some excuse not to show up on election day. 

My wife and I are going to vote tomorrow morning.I don't give a shit if there's a line. We'll wait it out. 

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

In case you haven't noticed, things are pretty fucked up politically and socially in this country right now.  Some people can't fucking stand it for one minute longer, and waiting in line on the 1st day of early voting is a testament to that thought process.

I'm a little pissed that I have to wait until tomorrow to vote. 

• Like 3

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

In case you haven't noticed, things are pretty fucked up politically and socially in this country right now.  Some people can't fucking stand it for one minute longer, and waiting in line on the 1st day of early voting is a testament to that thought process.

I'm a little pissed that I have to wait until tomorrow to vote. 

I’m pissed that I can only vote twice.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s more of a political statement IMO.  

Like, “We’re fucking pissed and so ready for change we’re willing to sacrifice more time to display our collective “fuck you” to those in power.” 

democracy yay!

I'm cool with that. I can't wait to break my (mostly) lifelong association with the Rs and vote a straight D ballot. Something I never thought I would do, but the Republicans need a brushback pitch. 

But the only thing I hate more than Trumpism is long lines. So I think hitting up early voting a few days after the hysteria dies down is the right play. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 2

Just now, TornACL said:

I'm cool with that. I can't wait to break my (mostly) lifelong association with, the Rs and vote a straight D ballot. 

But the only thing I hate more than Trumpism is long lines. So I think hitting up early voting a few days after the hysteria dies down is the right play. 

Not me, man. As I've said before, I'm going through the entire ballot and actively voting against every R I see. If it's an L next to their name and no one else, they get my vote. My freedom boner will be hard to contain.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Not me, man. As I've said before, I'm going through the entire ballot and actively voting against every R I see. If it's an L next to their name and no one else, they get my vote. My freedom boner will be hard to contain.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yeah there was at least one republican only opposes by a libertarian.  Plus you get to vote against anti American extremism like 20 times.

• Like 1

Voted this morning at the Cedar Park Library on Discovery. Line was 50 minutes, and it was longer when I left than when I got there. There were two librarians standing outside at one point, and one of them said she had worked there 10 years and had never seen a line like that for any election. When I was leaving there was a line of cars that couldn't even get into the lot. 

Also, Democratic Party parking lot "greeters" were 3 hot soccer moms that smiled and waved and said good morning to everyone. Republican parking lot greeters...3 dour old white dudes that didn't speak to anyone. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

However, to this above post...I voted a couple of times whilst working on campus.  And am on campus today to prep my lectures and walked through Flawn.  And yes, the ass is strong with this poll.  

Are we still doing "phrasing"? Or was this intentional?

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

pretty much exactly what I did. 

Just voted in Richardson and waited about 30 minutes.  When I left, the line started zigzagging inside and there was still a line outside.  There was a loud, middle-aged Trump supporter outside yelling out, "If you're white, best vote right..."  He was also talking about how gays and transvestites were going to take over if the country turned blue.  Police were talking to him as I was leaving.

2 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Just voted in Richardson and waited about 30 minutes.  When I left, the line started zigzagging inside and there was still a line outside.  There was a loud, middle-aged Trump supporter outside yelling out, "If you're white, best vote right..."  He was also talking about how gays and transvestites were going to take over if the country turned blue.  Police were talking to him as I was leaving.

why can't that be the guy they pretend to be scared of and shoot?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, speed817 said:

I had no idea Chrispy lived in Richardson.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

GOP is in trouble.

I know we are kind of all numb to it now, but it's pretty insane that we live in a democratic country where it is universally agreed upon that one specific political party benefits when less people vote. 

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Well I drove my happy ass all over St. Ed's campus looking for said mobile voting station and didn't see a single sign nor any lines of people waiting to vote anywhere.  So I don't know what the hell is going on.  I'll probably end up at the Gardner Barnes annex down the street, which at 12:50 was line out the door.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well I drove my happy ass all over St. Ed's campus looking for said mobile voting station and didn't see a single sign nor any lines of people waiting to vote anywhere.  So I don't know what the hell is going on.  I'll probably end up at the Gardner Barnes annex down the street, which at 12:50 was line out the door.

typo or shout out?

Also, yeah, I live near St Ed's and was planning to head to GB to vote after work. If it's an insanely long line, I'll wait.

28 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

No, you misunderstood. You can vote as many times as you want, it's just that Soros will only pay you for two times.

Levity  aside , I have voted more than once in a number of democrat primaries and Chicago general elections.  I have voted more than once in a number of democrat primaries and Chicago general elections  It’s not  even remotely difficult     

Honest to God I didn’t even mean to vote twice on one occasion , I just did it drunk one time and sober  one time and barely remember the overlap

I love crunching numbers so created the following from the Texas SoS site:

zSxnQu6p_o.jpg

These are the top 15 counties in terms of # of registered voters from 2014 along with their Day 1 early voting totals.  Then using those turnout %s, I estimated 2018 Day 1 turnout which I think we all known will get blown out of the water.

Random notes

• Brazoria county has now replaced Nueces county in the top 15 but I don't have Brazoria's 2014 early vote totals so only comparing these 15 counties.
  • Hillary won these counties overall: 3m to 2.5m, so obviously the remaining counties are heavy GOP.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, speed817 said:

During the 2016 election, some dipshit lady walked out of the polling place yelling and shouting about Trump. She was wearing her Maga hat and Trump shirt. 

When I told her about electioneering, it was clear she a) didn't understand what that term means and b) was likely voting for the first time in her fat uneducated life. 

Me: Voting is the most important right we have as US citizens.  I would willingly fight and die to defend that right.  This Trump shit has gotten out of hand and we need to take our country back before it’s too late! Just tell me where and when to early vote, and I’ll be there, draped in Old Glory and fired up to do my civic duty.

Texas SOS website: Your nearest polling location is the Randall’s at...

Me: Oh hell no.  Fuck that.  It’s been a good run, America!

• Like 2

I've been an anti incumbent voter for years now.

Took me about 15 minutes at the Downtown Dallas Library around 1:00 today.  Both lines were to the end of the room when I got there (two lines, one to get your barcode ID and check in, the other to wait on a voting station).  When I left both lines were probably twice as long, extending out into the main lobby a good 40 feet.

I'm with you, mdmost, about the fully electronic voting.  I don't trust it but also don't want to risk not being able to be present in two weeks to vote on election day.  Quite the conundrum.

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I hope to see Pete Sessions gone. That stale old codger needs to gtfo.

He used to be a pretty good congressman.  Now, not so much.  Sadly that district border is about 3 houses from me.  I get to vote for one of two chuckleheads from Terrell in a district that extend all the way to fucking Palestine.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Wait, what? No paper ballots during early voting? What kind of bullshit is that?

It's real bullshit but necessary I guess to accommodate the EV stations to allow voters to vote for any precinct in the county.  That way each station won't have to have thousands of different ballot sheets depending on precinct/district, etc., will avoid confusion by poll workers handing out wrong sheet, e.g.

I don't think there is a method for a fully secured, auditable voting system unless you are willing to connect the name of the voter to their ballot.  Or an ID# of the voter to their ballot.  However that creates other issues where 3rd parties could verify how someone voted.  Leads to voter intimidation or pay-for-votes.