Guys Blow Moose in Wyoming...

phdhorn

..up.

-----------

Moosebomb: Explosives obliterate rotting carcass in Wyoming

by The Associated Press

Monday, October 29th, 2018

JACKSON, Wyo. (AP) — A dead moose in Wyoming probably won't attract grizzly bears now that its carcass has been blown to smithereens.

Bridger-Teton National Forest officials used 100 pounds (45 kilograms) of explosives last Friday to get rid of the rotting moose near a trail popular with hikers and hunters.

Forest officials normally do nothing about dead animals but worried the carcass could draw potentially dangerous animals to the trail.

They say using explosives was more practical and less gruesome than cutting up and hauling out about half a ton (half a metric ton) of rotting meat.

The Jackson Hole News & Guide reports the blast obliterated the carcass so it can't be scavenged by bears, wolves and mountain lions.

A biologist determined the moose suffered from worms and died of natural causes.

https://wjla.com/news/offbeat/moose-bomb-explosives-obliterate-rotting-carcass-in-wyoming

21 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well when one of our longhorns dies I hook it up to the winch on the mule and drag it off into the brush. I think next time I’m going to use 100 kilos of explosives to blow the shit out of it. Also, this was not the thread I was expecting from the title.

You’re in grizzly country?

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well when one of our longhorns dies I hook it up to the winch on the mule and drag it off into the brush. I think next time I’m going to use 100 kilos of explosives to blow the shit out of it. Also, this was not the thread I was expecting from the title.

Why are your cows dying?

We have a number of Longhorn steers that we keep along with our bull and cows.  The steers are more like pets and they have some great sets of horns.  They're getting a little old now and starting to die off.  When one dies I drag it off into the brush to let the scavengers take care of it where nobody will steal the horns.  After the carcass is cleaned up, I'll go back and collect the horns.

This is one that died summer before last

cb6452385607fd8a130a06d650e71c6e.jpg

Grand Teton National Park right outside of Jackson is pretty spectacular.  Took the family up there last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it.   Snake River Logde was just OK , but all in all its worth a trek up there. 2 National Parks right there next to each other is tough to beat. 

Hate it for the moose, but I can see why they did it, we saw a bit of wildlife along trails and roads.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It would be the same crowd that put the wolves back in the area that are now killing moose and elk and cattle at very high rates, which that crowd deems a success story. 

I'm somewhat in favor of wolves being restored to their historical range. I'm also in favor of cattle ranchers being able to protect their herds. I feel like there is room for a balance to be struck.