Austin Nostalgia Picture Thread

Chet Steadman

After the original building (b&w photo) burned, the restaurant reopened in the "new" Mediterranean structure that currently occupies the lot. The reincarnation only lasted a few years and was vacant until converted to an office space. Am not sure when that happened.

The very first Nighthawk was opened by Harry Akin before WWII. I don't know where that was, and never saw it. Didn't care much for the new one on the Drag, but the Holiday House next door was a favorite spot.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, Red Five said:

I’d love to see some video of old Austin 30-50 years ago. Does anything like that exist? Even just someone driving around with an old camcorder would be cool to see.

Cue "Rock the Casbah" video from The Clash. 

Bumping this awesome thread.

After the original building (b&w photo) burned, the restaurant reopened in the "new" Mediterranean structure that currently occupies the lot. The reincarnation only lasted a few years and was vacant until converted to an office space. Am not sure when that happened.
The very first Nighthawk was opened by Harry Akin before WWII. I don't know where that was, and never saw it. Didn't care much for the new one on the Drag, but the Holiday House next door was a favorite spot.

It was already the new building by the time my dad was taking me there in the 80s. They had a fire and just never reopened.

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

After '84 or '85 as we'd go there as HS seniors. It was after the Drag location closed in '80. 

Sat in traffic, North bound Congress, on the way to Barton Springs and watched the Night Hawk burn.  Was either a HS Junior or Senior, I don't remember.

/csb

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So the second restaurant building burned too?  Somehow I missed that  - but was living in far north Austin off Braker Lane then, so we rarely ventured that far south to eat out.

Looks like I was mis-remembering based on this article. https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2001-01-26/80300/

Burned in 1985. Re-built. Closed in 1989.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

It appears I mis-remembered the time of the Number 1 restaurant fire at S. Congress & Riverside by about 10 years. lol

I watched that fire happen from my office at the American Bank/MBank/Chase Bank/221 West 6th Tower.  Seems like it was on a Saturday afternoon.  Lots of black smoke.  That view has changed a bunch since then!

Ah, Boats in the Barrio.  Drag boat racing on Town Lake.  This photo never disappoints.  A slew of Justice Sticks, Skoal Brother, displaced priest on a Sunday afternoon, Paul Hernandez finding glee in the moment, unfazed and stoic sign-toting, and Joe Friday on the Grassy Knoll taking it all in.

newsEngin.18854619_1978zrBoatprotestj570

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ah, Boats in the Barrio.  Drag boat racing on Town Lake.  This photo never disappoints.  A slew of Justice Sticks, Skoal Brother, displaced priest on a Sunday afternoon, Paul Hernandez finding glee in the moment, unfazed and stoic sign-toting, and Joe Friday on the Grassy Knoll taking it all in.

newsEngin.18854619_1978zrBoatprotestj570

I don't get it. Was the priest there for last rites?

19 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

#8 for me.  Same milkshake. When I lived in the Castillion, I must have eaten here every other day or so. I miss the shit out of that place.

My sister was at UT in the early 80s and I'd go to MD&B every visit.  When I started at UT in 92, it was my first stop for dinner.  It closed not long after that.  That was a bummer.

My sister was at UT in the early 80s and I'd go to MD&B every visit.  When I started at UT in 92, it was my first stop for dinner.  It closed not long after that.  That was a bummer.

Right there with you friend. I had a couple friends about a year ahead of me and they took me when I went to orientation. Serious bummer.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dcbc said:

Owners were laundering drug money. That was why the food was so good for the price. They needed students paying in cash. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

A deeper dive in to the drag boats on Town Lake and related protests.  

Hernandez was a real dipwad. He went to St. Edward's HS for a semester or two in the mid 1960s, then later described it to the reporters as a rich white boy  boy school. Ignoring the fact that plenty of East side & South Austin "Hispanic"  kids were there on scholarships, not to mention it had been fully integrated before WWII. One of our student body presidents was a popular black kid (1960). Most of the white boys were from the St. Ignatius & St. Louis Parishes - hardly upper crust. Even had a few cedar chopper types. Just a handful of kids from the west side of town.

Austin cops learned to hate him though when he became a Chicano activist (in the '70s?). One time when the Klan came to town for a rally "parade", the counter demonstrators outnumbered them hugely and started the usual pushing & shoving shit. The cops zeroed in on Hernandez to separate him & his compadres from the kluckers. Somebody with a camcorder got video from an overhead window showing ol' Paul on the ground surrounded by a ring of cops all pounding on him with nightsticks. Looked exactly like a Mack Sennett Keystone Cop silent movie scene. All that was missing was a frantic piano soundtrack. lol (at least one of the cops was African-American).

Anyway, the City Council eventually bought him off by putting him in charge of an East Austin housing renovation program for the poor, funded by a substantial federal grant. A couple of years later an AAS reporter discovered that hundreds of thousands of $$$ had disappeared from the program's funds, and only two or three old houses had been halfway fixed up. The feds then demanded that the city repay the money. Hernandez faded from the "activist" scene after that embarrassing episode.

And so it went in nostalgic Austin. lmao

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Owners were laundering drug money. That was why the food was so good for the price. They needed students paying in cash. 

Why do you think sixth street back then was dollar shots and dollar long necks. All cash. The no cover was so people would show up in droves. And no cover means nobody can ever prove how many people showed up that night. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2018 at 8:34 AM, Deej said:

Correct. Gibson's was on the lot that now houses Tuesday Morning and Taco Deli. Loved going there as a kid.

Anyone remember Winn's stores? They were everywhere. Bought my first Star Wars action figures at the one on Hancock the day they were released. 

This is correct.  Right across from where Greenlawn Pkwy runs into Burnet Rd.  I remember you could look across Burnet while waiting to turn from Greenlawn and see the Gibsons parking lot.

I don’t think the light existed at that intersection until after Gipsons built there.

Sorry for the necro bump.  I just discovered this thread.

Thread makes me feel old.  Might as well give a delayed geezer response.

#go back to sleep grandpa#

On 3/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, Red Five said:

I’d love to see some video of old Austin 30-50 years ago. Does anything like that exist? Even just someone driving around with an old camcorder would be cool to see.

Can't give you 30-50 years ago, but how bout some student films from 2000-2001?

"Manifest Destiny" was mostly shot inside an old house a little NW of UT. Only a few outside shots, but lots of demonic hand-puppet: