11.5.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

+1000

Maybe just tired, but terrible job with his public message today.  Probably hates these bullshit press conferences with the reporting douches in Austin......

Maybe, but this is part of the $6 million.  You're at Texas.  You lose and you have to be able to have the poise to do this shit.  For that money, you get up there and do it.  You don't like it, go to Eastern Tennessee State and get your $250,000 per year and don't have to put up with it.

Yeah some reporters and most questions are utter bullshit, but you're getting paid a fuckuva LOT of fucking money.  And you knew "stupid bullshit press day Monday" is a part of it - within a huge football fanbase that will look at everything you say and criticize it or whatever.  That's part of the deal.  Again, like the Horns down shit, win the games and this goes away or you get stupid but snowpuff softball questions like "how many sticks of gum do you burn through in a game?"  Lose 'em and you get "why are you such a douchc?"  Maybe it ain't fair, but you're sure as shit getting paid to be in the big time, warts and all - so be in it.

• Like 5

Sure Tom looks like shit now. Who wouldn’t? He fucked up. His team was in the driver’s seat to play for the conference championship. Now we’re gonna watch blowu and whoever play for it. This game was very winnable in spite of the putrid defense. 2nd-and-goal at the 1 fucking yard line? Do we not have a “QB sneak” play? Run the QB sneak three times in a row. Instead we run sideways and lose yards, and eventually turn it over on downs. Then later 4th-and-1 and we elect to kick a field goal. 4th-and-fucking-1 should be automatic go for it at all times. If you don’t have confidence that your offense can gain 1 yard then just forfeit and go home. Then we get the ball with a tied game and 5:40 left. Don’t fucking leave time on the clock. What do we do? We leave plenty of time on the clock. Why didn’t we stick with the run and short passes. Consume the five minutes, win the game, celebrate, stay on the driver’s seat. No, we can’t fucking do that. Now we’re staring at 7-5, and 6-6 is not out of the question. And we’re gonna watch fucking OUsucks play somebody else for the conference. It’d be cool if Tom could outcoach Bro next week. You know, execute better, force turnovers, run a fake punt, make the other team look like fools. Fuck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Teaching them to use their arms when tackling would be a good start....   Drives me crazy when They hit guys and their arms are down, did you not learn to wrap up when you tackle in junior high?

Watch a junior high/hs game..the answer is a clear no. I mean, really, touch football is now a huge part of football curriculum/culture(7v7).

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Herman must tell the players that "winning is hard" everyday because they sure play like it is. 

Get Barry Switzer, stat. He threatened to kick Mack's ass, back when Mack was his OC, for telling his players that such-and-such "scares ya ta death!"

Mack never did learn that. Maybe MensaTom will?

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Sure Tom looks like shit now. Who wouldn’t? He fucked up. His team was in the driver’s seat to play for the conference championship. Now we’re gonna watch blowu and whoever play for it. This game was very winnable in spite of the putrid defense. 2nd-and-goal at the 1 fucking yard line? Do we not have a “QB sneak” play? Run the QB sneak three times in a row. Instead we run sideways and lose yards, and eventually turn it over on downs. Then later 4th-and-1 and we elect to kick a field goal. 4th-and-fucking-1 should be automatic go for it at all times. If you don’t have confidence that your offense can gain 1 yard then just forfeit and go home. Then we get the ball with a tied game and 5:40 left. Don’t fucking leave time on the clock. What do we do? We leave plenty of time on the clock. Why didn’t we stick with the run and short passes. Consume the five minutes, win the game, celebrate, stay on the driver’s seat. No, we can’t fucking do that. Now we’re staring at 7-5, and 6-6 is not out of the question. And we’re gonna watch fucking OUsucks play somebody else for the conference. It’d be cool if Tom could outcoach Bro next week. You know, execute better, force turnovers, run a fake punt, make the other team look like fools. Fuck.

Can anyone really point to a game and say, our coaching staff out coached the other side and kept them in their heels? Maybe ou? I haven’t seen any of this Herman Mensa shit at all. We are routinely out prepared and out coached

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Can anyone really point to a game and say, our coaching staff out coached the other side and kept them in their heels? Maybe ou? I haven’t seen any of this Herman Mensa shit at all. We are routinely out prepared and out coached

OU, USC, TCU. Missouri in the Texas Bowl. If we're talking only one side of the ball, there are several other examples, but that's moral victory bullshit.

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

A few. It is amazing once we lose everybody is doom and gloom about everything.

I mean there is something to be doom and gloom about: the defense. But there was a short time ago they were well prepared and coached.

Wasn't it after the 2016 OSU game where CS said the defense was thinking too much, so to slow things down they got rid of the wrist bands and played a more simple base defense?  Do our coaches make things too complicated or are our players just stupid?

12 minutes ago, Assman said:

Wasn't it after the 2016 OSU game where CS said the defense was thinking too much, so to slow things down they got rid of the wrist bands and played a more simple base defense?  Do our coaches make things too complicated or are our players just stupid?

To me it looks like communication and understanding responsibility and being disciplined in playing that responsibility. They seem pretty confused even in alignment. Again I want to believe they aren’t stupid, but they do some stupid things. For guys that haven’t been in the system, sure some things can be confusing. We probably had 5 or 6 true freshman on defense with certain rotations on Saturday. But the other side of that is the poor tackling, poor pursuit angles, over playing the ball is all stuff that has to be better and would in some cases make up for schematic confusion. It’s a fucking mess right now

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

To me it looks like communication and understanding responsibility and being disciplined in playing that responsibility. They seem pretty confused even in alignment. Again I want to believe they aren’t stupid, but they do some stupid things...It’s a fucking mess right now

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

OU, USC, TCU. Missouri in the Texas Bowl. If we're talking only one side of the ball, there are several other examples, but that's moral victory bullshit.

Gooner? Nah. Riley got his job done, albeit it required 4 quarters. Ain’t no one shut his ass down for 4. And their defense is a fucking sieve that you and I could score on.

That game had little to do with two coaches playing mental chess. One just has a better scheme on one side of the ball, the other simply has better players on the other. Had Texas held the 21 point lead they built/enjoyed in the first 3 quarters I would wholeheartedly agree.

9 hours ago, Assman said:

[Why not both GIF]

• Like 1

Against OUsucks I felt that Texas was better prepared and executed better...until Herman tried to protect the lead. I think if he had kept the exact same aggressive plan all the way through, Texas wins by 3 TDs. It’s not just that by going conservative we stalled and had to punt, it’s that when we did that, OUsucks started believing they could win. Up until then they were defeated. Their body language showed that they were ready to go home. We gave them hope. Had we kept attacking their secondary mercilessly, they wouldn’t have recovered. 

I wonder about that conventional wisdom of running the ball to protect the lead, how often does it backfire?

19 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Against OUsucks I felt that Texas was better prepared and executed better...until Herman tried to protect the lead. I think if he had kept the exact same aggressive plan all the way through, Texas wins by 3 TDs. It’s not just that by going conservative we stalled and had to punt, it’s that when we did that, OUsucks started believing they could win. Up until then they were defeated. Their body language showed that they were ready to go home. We gave them hope. Had we kept attacking their secondary mercilessly, they wouldn’t have recovered. 

I wonder about that conventional wisdom of running the ball to protect the lead, how often does it backfire?

I just hope we get a chance to see if Herman learned his lesson at some point this year.

19 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Username checks out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, Tex Pete said:

Exactly. I see HS players whiff every Thursday and Friday night of the season because they are launching themselves at ballcarriers and not using their arms. It's disgusting to watch.

Yep.  PJ Locke has got to be the worst offender.

Edited by scottsins

Ok, there's full on defensive mental errors, like whomever's playing DE/LB responsible for outside contain continually crashing inside on a fake HB dive while allowing the runner to escape around him. Bro, I get it. You want to make the TFL, but there's tons of guys in there! You're the only one we have outside. Stay home until you're REALLY SURE it isn't a fake.

On the other side, you've got the error of doubt. Orlando's defense has to be played full speed. It has moving pieces that have to reliably show up. When the starters are injured or out, the backups are trying to think their way through it. They're checking around them to make sure they're doing the right thing (they almost always are), but by that time, it's too late. The time to play your assignment is gone. What should have been you and your buddies boxing a RB out of bounds turns into him juking you in open space.

When that happens, the defenders start doubting themselves. They play slower and think more, and the problem gets worse. We all know the players put themselves in peak physical condition during the summer. Getting mentally tough, though, is something that only experience will provide.

Except for Caden Sterns. He needs to pause for a beat. About 5 times now, I've seen him beat the RB on a blitz to the mesh point - only to flash right by and miss everyone! Next  time, he needs to stop once he's come clean through a gap. Just tell the QB, "Go ahead. I'll wait".

On 11/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, Assman said:

your second question is why coaches use this excuse.  Its a cop out that doesn't directly put blame on the coaches or the players.   i will admit that the one scenario of having a bunch of backups, who haven't played at all, in due to injuries during a game, could cause issues with a few too many options, but  when I hear it I pretty much blame the coach.  Its his job to know what his players can and can't execute and be prepared in case the scenario happens.

The guys who were the worst offenders weren't the new guys.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:54 PM, XYZ said:

Playing the numbers allows coaches to keep their jobs. Saying to keep your foot on the gas has the same negative result of why go conservative if you lose. You keep throwing it around and a pick six happens giving the opponent momentum. It would become the talking point after the game should you lose. Then everyone calls you a dumb ass because you gave them the additional possessions. In truth it probably really doesn’t matter. Do it either way as long as you win, and no one of any importance will give a shit.

9 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Playing the numbers allows coaches to keep their jobs. Saying to keep your foot on the gas has the same negative result of why go conservative if you lose. You keep throwing it around and a pick six happens giving the opponent momentum. It would become the talking point after the game should you lose. Then everyone calls you a dumb ass because you gave them the additional possessions. In truth it probably really doesn’t matter. Do it either way as long as you win, and no one of any importance will give a shit.

Look no closer than Aggy/Auburn.  Notoriously conservative Jimbo doesn't throw the ball on 3rd down last week up double digits in the 4th and they almost certainly win that game.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, XYZ said:

So you're complaining about scoring too fast? You score when there's an opportunity to score and then don't have a couple dipshits let a receiver get deep with a few seconds left.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:
4 hours ago, Skipper said:
Look no closer than Aggy/Auburn.  Notoriously conservative Jimbo doesn't throw the ball on 3rd down last week up double digits in the 4th and they almost certainly win that game.

Apples to oranges. Jimbo had the lead and he did the right thing by not letting Mond pass.

That's the thing.  He did let Mond pass.  Mond fucked it up.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 11:04 AM, Whatever said:

Lack of experience past the defensive starters is killing us now that the injury bug has hit.  We should have blown out Maryland, Tulsa & Baylor to get the 2's & 3's some game reps.  

You fucking nailed it. This goes back to Herman and the rest of the coaches for not having the team ready for those games.

• Like 1

You fucking nailed it. This goes back to Herman and the rest of the coaches for not having the team ready for those games.

I was driving through Austin today on my way down south and tuned in to Rod Babers's show. He was talking about how we don't have guys that play multiple positions. Said that last year some guys could play Nickel, Corner & Safety. That way when injuries happened it softened the blow. He said our D this year doesn't have that element.

Just another fail by the coaching staff.

58 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I was driving through Austin today on my way down south and tuned in to Rod Babers's show. He was talking about how we don't have guys that play multiple positions. Said that last year some guys could play Nickel, Corner & Safety. That way when injuries happened it softened the blow. He said our D this year doesn't have that element.

You realize they have one recruiting class on campus right?

On 11/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, Scholz said:

"I think we have hit a stretch where we're going to see everybody's best shot. There's no doubt about that. We're banged up. None of those are excuses..."

But aren't they though?

“You never want injuries to be an excuse, but...”

- Someone who’s about to use injuries as an excuse 

Every time

Edited by Nope
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

I had said before the season that the defense would take a step back, come out slow to start the year and hopefully pick up by sc. Wasn't too far off but what I didn't think would happen is TO being slow to react when teams started figuring out how to attack the precious lightning package. Which if we're being honest, everyone should've anticipated Wheeler and Locke's weaknesses availing themselves, including Orlando. I remember him talking about wanting his defenses to be multiple. And to give him the slightest bit of credit, he switched from dime to nickle when WVU was running through us like Mexican tap water. It's disappointing, though, that he can't exert his inner mensa into in game scheming. He always seems too slow to react. 

35 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I'm pretty sure we can credit '17 to him. 

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm pretty sure we can credit '17 to him. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I do, but for argument's sake if Sterns & Foster can start as true freshmen it's worth trying them at different positions to see what they can handle.

Then they'd need someone to backfill them in the vacated position

1 hour ago, Whatever said:
2 hours ago, maninblack said:

I do, but for argument's sake if Sterns & Foster can start as true freshmen it's worth trying them at different positions to see what they can handle.

I'm not sure throwing more responsibility at the freshmen right now is the answer. Mental processing is part of the issue.

9 hours ago, maninblack said:

He had two months and you want to give him the whole class. 

tenor.gif

I must be taking crazy pills or something. The guys I mentioned weren't even on the radar. You don't remember Herman talking about transition classes and how they had to really vet every offer? No, they didn't find Graham or Ehlinger but guys like Cosmi and Young were set to go to UH.

19 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If you want to say that some of '17 is his then sure but you have to caveat it. You can't just say '17 is his class. If he had a full year in place like '18 then the guys he closed with in '17 might not have even been a part of the class because they would've landed other prospects.

Thought I kinda did already...

11 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Cosmi, Brewer, Johnson, Young and others aren't Herman guys?

tenor.gif

Now saying to credit the entire '17 class to him, as you've already outlined, wouldn't be completely fair. But make no mistake, he made sure he took guys he wanted and checked all his boxes. Hence all the transition class talk but we're pretty much arguing semantics at this point. 

14 hours ago, Whatever said:

So last game when Locke, Sterns, Foster, and Ojomo were playing in different spots at the same time doesn’t count? Cross training only works when you have players that can effectively play multiple positions. We dont have that at linebacker right now or on the D Line outside of one or two guys. Rod has had a few shitty takes this year, this is one of them.