Uniform Pron

JimmyHoffa

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/1445791298909204481?s=20

I’m a moron and can’t get the Twitter post to load in here.  Tennessee going black.  Hate the unis, but the tweaks to the helmet look pretty sharp

Hard agree. Their orange actually plays well with black in small doses, unlike burnt orange.

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Why does BYU have 2 different shades of blue?

No good reason. Historically, there have actually been more than 2 shades. Late 1800s the school adopted blue and white as official school colors. Original color was a light blue ("Columbia blue"). A few lighter, brighter shades were seen in the early years. 1950s-60s navy was used. In the 70s, royal blue was adopted. BYU noticed that fans weren't really wearing the school colors much (especially compared to other schools) and the BYU fans in the stands looked like a bowl of "skittles". So, in the early 2000s we let a market research team tell us what to do and they said go navy because people have navy stuff already and more of them will wear it to games (lots of cheap BYU fans unwilling to buy royal stuff didn't help). It worked, as far as getting more people wearing school colors to games, but fans missed the unique royal color and its association with BYU success in the 80s and early 90s (national championship, heisman trophy, top 25 finishes, LaVell Edwards, etc.). Soon after Kalani became head coach he pushed royal because of aforementioned and to signal a return to greatness and brighter future.

Edited by Crockett
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh 100% agree. So gorgeous. Wish we just wore these all the time.

throwback1.thumb.jpg.d6cc8a6c2f6e3ab81e69c9b04189771b.jpg
throwback2.thumb.png.bb952488514d2201a30aa495d3cd3915.png
I just don't understand why we don't. They're pretty universally liked. Do the kids not like them or something?

Could even make a blacked out version and it would look better than anything else we've worn.

Thank God Josh Holliday gets it with the baseball uniforms. Don't mess with a classic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Crockett said:

No good reason. Historically, there have actually been more than 2 shades. Late 1800s the school adopted blue and white as official school colors. Original color was a light blue ("Columbia blue"). A few lighter, brighter shades were seen in the early years. 1950s-60s navy was used. In the 70s, royal blue was adopted. BYU noticed that fans weren't really wearing the school colors much (especially compared to other schools) and the BYU fans in the stands looked like a bowl of "skittles". So, in the early 2000s we let a market research team tell us what to do and they said go navy because people have navy stuff already and more of them will wear it to games (lots of cheap BYU fans unwilling to buy royal stuff didn't help). It worked, as far as getting more people wearing school colors to games, but fans missed the unique royal color and its association with BYU success in the 80s and early 90s (national championship, heisman trophy, top 25 finishes, LaVell Edwards, etc.). Soon after Kalani became head coach he pushed royal because of aforementioned and to signal a return to greatness and brighter future.

Royal > Navy

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Okie State said:

I just don't understand why we don't. They're pretty universally liked. Do the kids not like them or something?

Could even make a blacked out version and it would look better than anything else we've worn.

Thank God Josh Holliday gets it with the baseball uniforms. Don't mess with a classic.

I’m sure Nike has a massive say say in this with their mountains of “market research.” We’re not Alabama or Penn State so we get the full mix and match treatment. I do think our current versions look pretty good too with most (but not all) combinations.  I really hate grey which we seem to use very rarely now, and I hate the oversized Pete face helmet. I’m pretty sure they retired this monstrosity too.

image.jpeg.1074b93e16999e20342b9d85de64c500.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

Nike gotta sell 'dem jerseys.

And yeah we should but we won't. The black version would be akin to these, but with the old "brand" logo an style:

osu3.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

I love Latin American art, but that just feels lame and tacked-on. The SDSU calendar helmet is definitely still the pacesetter in the category.

san-diego-state-aztecs.jpg

I actually think these helmets are badass and one of the best in CFB with the Aztec theme and calendar.  Hopefully they stick with it.  They're (in the words of Matt Stone in Orgazmo) "kickass")

Edited by SwAss
  • Fuck You 3

I’m sure Nike has a massive say say in this with their mountains of “market research.” We’re not Alabama or Penn State so we get the full mix and match treatment. I do think our current versions look pretty good too with most (but not all) combinations.  I really hate grey which we seem to use very rarely now, and I hate the oversized Pete face helmet. I’m pretty sure they retired this monstrosity too.

God I hated those helmets. I honestly don't like any of the helmets except the oSu brand or the bucking bronco.

13 hours ago, Okie State said:
On 10/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, 'stache said:

God I hated those helmets. I honestly don't like any of the helmets except the oSu brand or the bucking bronco.

Yeah that Ed Hardy shit is awful.

And I'm with you. The only other one I'll allow is the one with the Pistol Pete on it. That one is cool. Not the stupid "Phantom Pete" or whatever... with the original Pistol Pete caricature:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Man, I remember the massive overreaction on Surly when those were unveiled. That year was one of the most inexplicable wins we've ever had in the series. Well, then you think back to how all 3 wins we've had in the 2010s were those same kind of we shouldn't won them but we somehow did kind of victories. 

I didn't mind the gold trims. The shirt Mack unveiled at the Hex Rally was dumb though.

GentleColdBittern-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

First post here. Was thinking, when we join the SEC, it will be time to finally clean up our uniforms. 

We should have the best uniform in cfb given our iconic colors, logo, and history. But right now, we all know our look is far from its best iteration.

Personally, I don’t know how we’ve excepted the cluttered mess that Nike gives us each year. Like seriously, why the hell did we not fix this shit yet:CB2FDEA0-D657-4E0F-966A-FE981DFAA57B.thumb.jpeg.ff4f2970cca52a17bf684d74aaa3b5bf.jpeg

1. replace b12 logo with dreadfully oversized sec counterpart.

2. Remove collar longhorn. Never had any reason to be there. Allows “TEXAS” script on chest to be moved up where it belongs.

3. Remove shoulder numbers. unnecessary and unreadable anyways.

4. Black cleats & socks at home, whites for stormtroopers only. I thought the change back to black last year looked great. It’s subtle and doesn’t clash with the burnt orange as it’s far enough away from the jersey. Just makes the team look saltier somehow:98169534-4885-469F-A5A9-BAC28B64C6D2.thumb.jpeg.28dfd3dac3ec5d7978899dbb1315a59b.jpeg

5. burn the orange. don’t know what surly consensus is, but it’s clear to me we are at least a shade to bright right now. Especially since the material we use reflects poorly and gives and uneven look:E1914F7C-8841-4D83-8E2F-A9EC1646F105.thumb.jpeg.81029d421e69cbee1febc9297d7dfaf5.jpeg

compared to:3CF72496-E48A-4A68-ABA1-6D5E3E326756.jpeg.aff9068dc45f02966be5a83d18755cce.jpeg

this is what our helmets should look like for eternity: burnt.

1F0C60FE-D406-45FD-AEBF-F62DCE5E143A.thumb.jpeg.fb2d30f1f4c8a3900898e5e5cd96aff2.jpeg

5 hours ago, stickyicky said:

2. Remove collar longhorn. Never had any reason to be there. Allows “TEXAS” script on chest to be moved up where it belongs.

It belongs off the jersey. If you want to clean things up, it always looked better without it. In fact, aesthetically, it would look better to keep the Longhorn and ditch TEXAS than the other way around.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

After seeing the white cleats with the home unis return towards the end of last season, I can safely say that I prefer them to the blacks. They give the whole uniform a cleaner look that really helps showcase our two colors.

My big problem with the black cleats is that we always pair them with black socks, which is leads to there being too much of an imbalance of color across the home set. IMO it wouldn't be as noticeable if we wore them with white socks, like many of the other blue bloods do (Penn State, USC, Bama).

Think it would also be cool if we could wore certain cleat colors for big games, kind of like how Clemson wears orange pants when they play for championships.