Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

On 6/9/2023 at 4:18 PM, Butch Had Not said:

So dumb question. I'm smoking pork ribs and the temp never really went above 150 for the first 2.5 hours of the cook. I'm gonna be wrapping soon but with bacteria growth should i be worried about contaminated food?

140 is the temp needed to kill anything in meat, so you were good.

1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

If the Bullseye has a 22 inch grill, maybe you could use a grate from a Weber 22" kettle grill?

Sorry, I had to screenshoot from RecTeq website.  I really like these grill inserts because they do a great striped sear for steaks and, if you flip them over, great smash burgers.  RecTeq offers them for all of their models.  So just look up the ones for yours.  I think you’ll be happy.
image.thumb.png.41fca31dbb614ee39bb5de96be88b7ea.png

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
Reply is to Ace … fat fingers strike again.

• 3 weeks later...

What are you all using to vacuum and clean clean out your smokers? I'm using a 2 gallon wet/dry shop vac but wondering if there is a good portable cordless handheld unit that could get the job done. I figure It would need to have a crevice nozzle too.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Sorry, I had to screenshoot from RecTeq website.  I really like these grill inserts because they do a great striped sear for steaks and, if you flip them over, great smash burgers.  RecTeq offers them for all of their models.  So just look up the ones for yours.  I think you’ll be happy.
image.thumb.png.41fca31dbb614ee39bb5de96be88b7ea.png

These are solid. I bought some earlier this year and they make incredible grill marks on a steak

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posting from other smoker thread. I was about to buy the recteq 590, but several people have mentioned that the charcoal gravity smokers produce better taste. Has anyone compared pellet and charcoal gravity feed? We smoke chicken, turkey, brisket, ribs, pork butt.  Those with charcoal gravity feed, are you still happy with it?

Cross posting from other smoker thread. I was about to buy the recteq 590, but several people have mentioned that the charcoal gravity smokers produce better taste. Has anyone compared pellet and charcoal gravity feed? We smoke chicken, turkey, brisket, ribs, pork butt.  Those with charcoal gravity feed, are you still happy with it?

No experience with gravity fed, but I’ve been looking into the CampChef Woodwind Pro.

Madscientistbbq has been giving really solid feedback (without any compensation deal with the company).

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

No experience with gravity fed, but I’ve been looking into the CampChef Woodwind Pro.

Madscientistbbq has been giving really solid feedback (without any compensation deal with the company).

interesting. It has a similar smoke box to my old electric smoker.  That did work pretty well to provide decent smoke, so I assume it also works pretty well on the pellet smoker too. I'm suprised that every pellet manufacturer hasn't added a smoke box.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, Dbeasy said:

interesting. It has a similar smoke box to my old electric smoker.  That did work pretty well to provide decent smoke, so I assume it also works pretty well on the pellet smoker too. I'm suprised that every pellet manufacturer hasn't added a smoke box.

RecTeq offers a smoke box as an accessory to its two largest models .. 700 and 1250.

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Put this together Saturday. Won't get a chance to light it up for a week or two unfortunately. What should I cook on it first? New to pellet/smoking ... have all sorts of rubs ready though. 

368864234_10161359285838420_123554010382

the picture link is broken for me so can't see what you ended up getting, sorry!

imho, best rec is always pulled pork for first cook. you can't really mess it up and it's tasty.

a secondary option is to also throw on a HEB boneless turkey breast and follow what i pulled from either the Franklin masterclass or one of his PBS videos maybe:

• remove the skin and apply rub. let it sit for 15 or 20 min until it sweats out
  • smoke at 265/275 until 145 IT
  • double wrap skin side down in foil (i like the BBQ pitmaster foil from HEB that's thicker) with 2 sticks of butter and top that with either honey or some more rub (honey adds some nice sweetness and while it's a shitload of butter don't do less than 1 stick)
  • smoke until IT is 160
  • cool to 140 and slice

this Meatchurch recipe is pretty close to what i've started doing for pulled pork when i want it to be as easy as possible: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pulled-pork

basically it is:

• slather pork in yellow mustard and apply rub liberally, let it sweat out
  • smoke at 275 until IT is about 165, spritz with apple juice or apple cider vinegar every hour or so after ~3 hours (or more often if it's getting crispy/black on the corners)
  • remove from grill and add to half steam pan, apply more rub and you can top with butter or brown sugar but i don't really do either, then TIGHTLY COVER with foil
  • add back to smoker, continue until it is about 205 IT, but make sure that it probes like butter and doesn't have a bunch of pull or isn't tight when you probe it
  • remove and rest then shred

chud did a brisket on pellet grill recently and i may try his process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUSk0IhaF8

if you are worried about it just get a choice brisket, and plan on chopping it after.

you may want to get a vacuum sealer for leftovers!

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

the picture link is broken for me so can't see what you ended up getting, sorry!

imho, best rec is always pulled pork for first cook. you can't really mess it up and it's tasty.

a secondary option is to also throw on a HEB boneless turkey breast and follow what i pulled from either the Franklin masterclass or one of his PBS videos maybe:

• remove the skin and apply rub. let it sit for 15 or 20 min until it sweats out
  • double wrap skin side down in foil (i like the BBQ pitmaster foil from HEB that's thicker) with 2 sticks of butter and top that with either honey or some more rub (honey adds some nice sweetness and while it's a shitload of butter don't do less than 1 stick)
  • smoke until IT is 160
  • cool to 140 and slice

this Meatchurch recipe is pretty close to what i've started doing for pulled pork when i want it to be as easy as possible: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pulled-pork

basically it is:

• slather pork in yellow mustard and apply rub liberally, let it sweat out
  • smoke at 275 until IT is about 165, spritz with apple juice or apple cider vinegar every hour or so after ~3 hours (or more often if it's getting crispy/black on the corners)
  • remove from grill and add to half steam pan, apply more rub and you can top with butter or brown sugar but i don't really do either, then TIGHTLY COVER with foil
  • add back to smoker, continue until it is about 205 IT, but make sure that it probes like butter and doesn't have a bunch of pull or isn't tight when you probe it
  • remove and rest then shred

chud did a brisket on pellet grill recently and i may try his process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUSk0IhaF8

if you are worried about it just get a choice brisket, and plan on chopping it after.

you may want to get a vacuum sealer for leftovers!

Awesome, thanks! I'm thousands of miles from HEB but Wegmans has great turkey breasts. Here's the pic (I might have accidentally linked via FB in that post hence it being broken)

IMG-8970.jpg

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Awesome, thanks! I'm thousands of miles from HEB but Wegmans has great turkey breasts. Here's the pic (I might have accidentally linked via FB in that post hence it being broken)

IMG-8970.jpg

awesome! that looks great! the turkey breast is whatever you can get. they are easy and damn good!

So @NoName

• double wrap skin side down in foil

I’m assuming you mean breast side down. 
Love some juicy turkey (dark meat is fave) but wife likes white meat so may have to try this -the honey.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

IMG-8970.jpg

Smoking with Tidy Cats pellets?

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Shaddie said:

So @NoName

• double wrap skin side down in foil

I’m assuming you mean breast side down. 
Love some juicy turkey (dark meat is fave) but wife likes white meat so may have to try this -the honey.  

yes, skin/breast side down, flat side up!

the honey gets expensive as hell, because you put a good bit on but i can notice the sweetness side by side

Jirby did a video on it and making sure it's the right video/scrubbing through it he does it on the bottom not the top so maybe i should do that next time?

The recipe is obviously coming from some credible sources, but I really question cooking white meat turkey to 160. That's dry and overcooked for white meat. Now if that's for full bird, then I agree; dark meat needs 160. If you're doing only a breast, go to 140.

After extreme analysis paralysis and two years of procrastination, I finally pulled the trigger on a RecTeq 590. I'm excited to get it in and try it out. I think I looked at every smoker option on the market.  It's amazing that not one product is perfect.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

After extreme analysis paralysis and two years of procrastination, I finally pulled the trigger on a RecTeq 590. I'm excited to get it in and try it out. I think I looked at every smoker option on the market.  It's amazing that not one product is perfect.

I disagree. I think this SOB is perfect, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on it!

CIMARRON S Pellet Smoker - Yoder Smokers

cimarron-s-hero.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Tell me about pork belly burnt ends.

just linking a few things for you

Chud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBGcSkTpsw

Meat Church: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omEpZI18OtM

Meat Church Peach Hab Pork Belly Burnt Ends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHP1RNdHmQs + recipe https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pork-belly-burnt-ends-1

they are VERY good. they are also just over the top, so you end up eating like three and calling it a day. the good news is they are still good the next day haha

• Drool 1

Sad story, my WSM was damaged in a couple of weeks ago

Good news, it will have to be replaced. It was about 10 years old & was my starter kit for smoking.

So the question is, what should I replace it with? The WSM was the smaller one, but the 22 looks huge & I'm not sure I want to have to deal with taking it apart. So if not a WSM, then Traeger, BGE, offset. 

I use 2-3+ a month, except winter when it snow on the ground 1-2 times a month.

On 9/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Sad story, my WSM was damaged in a couple of weeks ago

Good news, it will have to be replaced. It was about 10 years old & was my starter kit for smoking.

So the question is, what should I replace it with? The WSM was the smaller one, but the 22 looks huge & I'm not sure I want to have to deal with taking it apart. So if not a WSM, then Traeger, BGE, offset. 

I use 2-3+ a month, except winter when it snow on the ground 1-2 times a month.

I'd go WSM again, it's what you know and short of a real offset it's still one of the best smokers. Kamado isn't as good as a pure smoker, they are too efficient to have much smoke flow (but are way more versatile.)

Have you ever wished you had more space? If so, go 22. I've never tried the smaller one but never felt the 22 was hard to disassemble or move. But if you've never had a space issue, smaller one uses less fuel as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

IMG-8970.jpg

Hey.  How you liking this?  I need to get a wedding gift for someone and this looks like it checks a lot of boxes.

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Hey.  How you liking this?  I need to get a wedding gift for someone and this looks like it checks a lot of boxes.

Only had a chance to use once for chicken thighs and burgers. Life’s been chaotic but how to use more next month. 

Easy to use. I like it thus far in very limited use. 

I finally took the plunge and made a brisket on my recteq.  I got a 13 lbs prime brisket from Creekstone and it was excellent.  It was pretty much identical to when I smoke them on my Lonestar Grillz pit.  I cooked it at 240 most of the way which is lower than I normally do because my big smoker doesn't like to sit at temps that low.  I used B&B mesquite pellets and burned one smoke tube for around 3 hours.  I wrapped at 170 and then turned it up to 260.  It took right at 12 hours.  I am considering getting a bigger model that will let me cook 2 briskets at a time.  Not having to constantly fiddle with the fire was so nice and clean up is 20 minutes the next day instead of 3 hours.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 2:51 AM, Sam Lin said:

I'd go WSM again, it's what you know and short of a real offset it's still one of the best smokers. Kamado isn't as good as a pure smoker, they are too efficient to have much smoke flow (but are way more versatile.)

Have you ever wished you had more space? If so, go 22. I've never tried the smaller one but never felt the 22 was hard to disassemble or move. But if you've never had a space issue, smaller one uses less fuel as well.

Also, Cajun Bandit makes replacement legs with caster wheels on them for the WSM.  The 22 is definitely bulkier and heavier than the 18.5.  It is nice not having to wedge a brisket on the grate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I finally took the plunge and made a brisket on my recteq.  I got a 13 lbs prime brisket from Creekstone and it was excellent.  It was pretty much identical to when I smoke them on my Lonestar Grillz pit.  I cooked it at 240 most of the way which is lower than I normally do because my big smoker doesn't like to sit at temps that low.  I used B&B mesquite pellets and burned one smoke tube for around 3 hours.  I wrapped at 170 and then turned it up to 260.  It took right at 12 hours.  I am considering getting a bigger model that will let me cook 2 briskets at a time.  Not having to constantly fiddle with the fire was so nice and clean up is 20 minutes the next day instead of 3 hours.

small thing but i hate B&B pellets. far and away the most sawdust in the bag and pellets that i have seen compared to anything else i have tried (and i've tried basically all of the ones i can buy i person)

the space on the smoker really does matter. i'm at the point where i don't want to cook directly over my burn pot so that gives me a top shelf ish + a brisket on the far right. wish i could cook more on it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have a 590 and they don't have a shelf.  I put the point over the top of the burn pot as I figured it could absorb the heat better than the flat.  If I had a bigger one, I would put it off to the side though.  I bought some bear mountain pellets to try next.  I dumped them in my hopper and they have a bigger diamter than B&B pellets, but are shorter in length.  They seemed to have about the same amount of dust as the B&B pellets I have used.

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have a 590 and they don't have a shelf.  I put the point over the top of the burn pot as I figured it could absorb the heat better than the flat.  If I had a bigger one, I would put it off to the side though.  I bought some bear mountain pellets to try next.  I dumped them in my hopper and they have a bigger diamter than B&B pellets, but are shorter in length.  They seemed to have about the same amount of dust as the B&B pellets I have used.

here are some folks that did some mods or link to some additional shelves?

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/shelf-for-inside-the-rt-590.5539/

On 8/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, Sam Lin said:

The recipe is obviously coming from some credible sources, but I really question cooking white meat turkey to 160. That's dry and overcooked for white meat. Now if that's for full bird, then I agree; dark meat needs 160. If you're doing only a breast, go to 140.

I've done this and it was excellent.  Cooked the breasts to 160*.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, NoName said:

small thing but i hate B&B pellets. far and away the most sawdust in the bag and pellets that i have seen compared to anything else i have tried (and i've tried basically all of the ones i can buy i person)

the space on the smoker really does matter. i'm at the point where i don't want to cook directly over my burn pot so that gives me a top shelf ish + a brisket on the far right. wish i could cook more on it.

Agree on the sawdust, but I like that you can get single wood pellets from them. I use their post oak pellets for brisket, but I prefer the Recteq or Trager blends for pork or chicken. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have 5-40# bags of the Rectec blend that came as a promotion with my RT-1070 if anyone wants them. I've stored them about a year in the garage and will most likely never use them. 

I favor the Bear Mountain Oak - pellets are firm and little dust, great flavor. 

https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTAIN-Premium-BBQ-Charcoal-Electric/dp/B096N3LM1C/ref=sr_1_3_pp?hvadid=631556832370&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027599&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18099071969024659461&hvtargid=kwd-912706297188&hydadcr=7468_13294104&keywords=bear%2Bmountain%2Boak%2Bpellets&qid=1694535074&sr=8-3&th=1

Edited by Coyote
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

First Recteq 590 cook is in the books. After burn-in, I made chicken thighs at 400 degrees. Did a dry rub with some olive oil. Came out pretty decent.  Wife said a lot of the skin was crispy enough to eat. I don’t eat skin. 

image.thumb.jpeg.74e893a2fb78fdb4a13c745b8bb6c60d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9fac2be90d375be4c01a7ef53ef15534.jpeg

One small suggestion.  Pellet grills/smokers have hot spot(s).  Until you find yours, recommend separating the distance between the temp probes “to widen the search pattern” and protect more of the meat from scorching.

I found my 590’s hot spot in the “2” position (back right).  I’ve noticed dead center to be least likely to scorch .. guessing because the center is protected by the diffuser.  Just a guess.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

One small suggestion.  Pellet grills/smokers have hot spot(s).  Until you find yours, recommend separating the distance between the temp probes “to widen the search pattern” and protect more of the meat from scorching.

I found my 590’s hot spot in the “2” position (back right).  I’ve noticed dead center to be least likely to scorch .. guessing because the center is protected by the diffuser.  Just a guess.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

do the biscuit test

https://www.oklahomajoes.co.nz/how-tos/how-to-find-hot-cold-spots-in-your-smoker

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1