Pellet Grills and Smokers

Teamdirtyleg

On 5/5/2023 at 7:57 AM, Antidean said:

Recteq 590 delivered yesterday. Can't wait to join the club.

What's the verdict on the Recteq 590?  Is the 590 large enough for most cooks, how's the build and cook quality?  Been looking at several different manufacturers, but am drawn to the Rec Teq.  Need to purchase something shortly.

It has enough room unless you regularly cook for a lot of people.  You can cook 1 brisket on it, but not 2.  I did do rib roasts on my 590 and it was fine.  If you need one of the extra large gas grills or want to cook multiple briskets or more than 2 pork butts, you need one of the bigger models.

Yes, would buy again.  One of my buddies has already bought one after seeing mine and he probably uses his at least 2-3 times a week he loves it so much.  He made us breakfast quiche on it one weekend when we stayed at their house for a wedding.  Even baked the biscuits on it.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 10:53 AM, Grundy said:

What's the verdict on the Recteq 590?  Is the 590 large enough for most cooks, how's the build and cook quality?  Been looking at several different manufacturers, but am drawn to the Rec Teq.  Need to purchase something shortly.

Smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs on Sunday and they turned out ok. probably should have just smoked 2 racks as the drip pan doesn't span entirely below the racks.

There was some grease dripping into the smoker shell that will need to be cleaned out as I don't want a grease fire at higher temps.

One thing I did not consider was the 590 does not have a pellet dump feature. Probably not that big of a deal anyway.

Other than that, everything looks good. Hopefully I can get to a brisket over Memorial weekend.

37 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I do wish mine had that.  I haven't tried different wood types because there's no way to clean out the hopper other than using them all up.

I've got a couple home depot buckets with lids and a large plastic gas station soda cup. I can scoop out about 98% of the pellets in the hopper, then clean up most of the sawdust with my shop-vac. Takes a couple minutes, but I can swap wood flavors if I need to. I use B&B Post Oak for about 80% of my cooking, but I do like to swap to a blend like the Traeger competition blend for ribs or pulled pork. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, there's ways around it but it's a design flaw.  I've seen some where you can pull a lever and dump the entire hopper in to a bucket in seconds.

i think camp chef had a patent on this for a while but it may have expired in the last few years?

Ok, I’ve now read this thread start to finish, twice, in the last month. I’m about ready to buy a smoker and I’m pretty sure a pellet is what I want. 

I started with a WSM, but didn’t like the rubbery poultry. I then went to an electric, but had the same issue. Then, rain got into it, shorted out the electronics and made a mess of the inside, so I gave it to my SIL for a reclamation project.

I think the Rekteq 590 is the right fit for me, but I don’t have a patio cover area for storage. I’ve got a Weber gas grill using the available space. Can I leave it in the backyard with a cover on it? 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok, I’ve now read this thread start to finish, twice, in the last month. I’m about ready to buy a smoker and I’m pretty sure a pellet is what I want. 

I started with a WSM, but didn’t like the rubbery poultry. I then went to an electric, but had the same issue. Then, rain got into it, shorted out the electronics and made a mess of the inside, so I gave it to my SIL for a reclamation project.

I think the Rekteq 590 is the right fit for me, but I don’t have a patio cover area for storage. I’ve got a Weber gas grill using the available space. Can I leave it in the backyard with a cover on it? 

image.thumb.jpeg.637cf12f1dad59116ec0d7d67474eb1e.jpeg
No worries … 590 next to the Weber.  BTW, the RecTeq cover is amazingly durable.  Heavy duty material that’s still as supple as the day it arrived 2+ years ago.  I don’t think they sell flimsy half-ass products.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:55 PM, BearSchlong said:

Recteq customer service is amazing. I opened a ticket and they replied quickly, the net of it is I’m basically getting all new guts (controller, auger, motor) for about $225.

Also on March 20 they are unveiling two new models, I’m excited to see what they’ve got.

So, did you repair the old one?

I bought this ZGrills smoker about a year ago. Very solid.

The PID controller keeps the temps rock steady. That was my main criteria when I was shopping for a pellet grill. Read hundreds of individual reviews on different brands, this ZGrill was consistently rated high, with the controller being a big part of that. Fit and finish is good, as is customer service.

I was looking at the comparably sized RecTeq, but it was almost $500 more at the  time.

Ive been very satisfied.

IMG_0067.thumb.png.a1da67c31e646a7f16c559cb18a0bcf8.png

• Hook 'Em 1

So, did you repair the old one?

Not yet. I didn’t order the parts for the old one yet. Tbh I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to get it put back together correctly so I decided to just stop procrastinating and buy a new one that I know will last me a long time. I might get the parts and have a spare or just give it away. But the new one will be going in an enclosed shed when not in use, and I’ll be vigilant about keeping the hopper and auger free of sawdust. By my reckoning I paid a $500 premium for a new factory fresh one.

Tl;dr I don’t trust my mechanical skills.

I’ve also got that big Weber E335 as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Not yet. I didn’t order the parts for the old one yet. Tbh I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to get it put back together correctly so I decided to just stop procrastinating and buy a new one that I know will last me a long time. I might get the parts and have a spare or just give it away. But the new one will be going in an enclosed shed when not in use, and I’ll be vigilant about keeping the hopper and auger free of sawdust. By my reckoning I paid a $500 premium for a new factory fresh one.

Tl;dr I don’t trust my mechanical skills.

I’ve also got that big Weber E335 as well.

dude, it's super-simple. Everything has connector plugs, it's almost impossible to fuck up

10 hours ago, Rholl said:

Friday around 5p 4 briskets on the smoker, around 7p will add 4 pork butts will look to cooler those around 6a on saturday and start laying in 4 cases of turkey legs

5FB568E0-548E-4A91-A904-2336FD82F702.jpeg

How big is the auger for that thing?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have a GMG Davy Crocket that weighs less than 70#.  Won't fit a bunch of food, but it is big enough for ribs or pork butts.  I think the newer version is called a Trek.

I will check it out.

Thank you.

dude, it's super-simple. Everything has connector plugs, it's almost impossible to fuck up

Well now it’s a moot point, spent half an hour assembling the new one and proceeded with brisket, racks of ribs, and a bunch of leg quarters over the last 2 days. Probably cooked for 22 hours.

There are some slight improvements that recteq made since my original model. Controller is upgraded, dual band. My probes actually work now, and the firebox shield is wrought iron vs steel, which seems to hold heat better.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Too lazy to comb through the last 13 pages.  Anyone know anything about the Masterbuilt Gravity Series smokers?  A friend told me about them over the weekend and raved about it.  Considering getting one as a Father's Day gift to myself.

spacer.png

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series-1050-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:53 PM, South Austin said:

Too lazy to comb through the last 13 pages.  Anyone know anything about the Masterbuilt Gravity Series smokers?  A friend told me about them over the weekend and raved about it.  Considering getting one as a Father's Day gift to myself.

spacer.png

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series-1050-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

I don't have the masterbuilt but have the chargriller 980.  They function the same.  There are lots of youtube vids comparing the two.  I went with the char griller because  build quality seemed superior.  I think both can give you more smoke flavor than pellets.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:53 AM, South Austin said:

spacer.png

Heads up, Masterbuilt has 30% off sitewide for Father's Day. Code is Family30 and is active now. Works on the 1050, brings it to $560. Free shipping over 100.

Some people in this Slickdeals thread also report that regional Home Depots have the 1050 on sale for 495:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16720154-masterbuilt-com-30-sitewide-example-30-inch-digital-electric-smoker-195-99-after-30-off-coupon-free-shipping?v=1

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Heads up, Masterbuilt has 30% off sitewide for Father's Day. Code is Family30 and is active now. Works on the 1050, brings it to $560. Free shipping over 100.

Some people in this Slickdeals thread also report that regional Home Depots have the 1050 on sale for 495:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16720154-masterbuilt-com-30-sitewide-example-30-inch-digital-electric-smoker-195-99-after-30-off-coupon-free-shipping?v=1

Thanks, man.  Home Depot also has a sale, and for a reasonable fee an assembly option, which I added because I don't have the time or patience to put all that shit together.  Just pulled the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question amnesty:

The grill I referenced above is being delivered this weekend, and my plan is to break it in Sunday by smoking some ribs, which I figure will cook for several hours at 225.  Because of other plans, I won't be able to start the process until about noon, which means the ribs will be in the smoker when it's about a billion degrees since we're in blastfurnace conditions for a while, and for some of the time the smoker will be in the direct sun (with shade later in the afternoon). 

I know the grill technology is supposed to be good at regulating temperature, but can the outside temperatures fuck with that when your trying to maintain a relatively low heat for a long period of time?  I've been without a smoker for several years, and back when I smoked with my Big Green Egg I don't remember doing so in summer temperatures this warm, and if I did I typically started much earlier, often before sunrise.  My concern is that it might be tough to keep the internal smoker temperature at 225 when its well over 100 degrees outside.  But maybe I'm worried over nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Shouldn't matter at all since it's an electronically fan controlled "oven." Would make a small difference if you were in a manual fired smoker.

Thanks.  I figured that's the case, but I'm on the Type A spectrum when it comes to cooking and grilling so thought I'd ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeking advice. I am sick of dealing with 1 lb propane canisters (they’re impossible to dispose of where I live).

I have a unique situation where I live and have to move my grill from my detached garage (where it is kept) up two steps to another step that’s like 36”x36” - this is where my grill (currently a Weber Q 1200) sits when I grill. I then move back into my garage when done and it’s cooled down. 

I grill wayyyyyyyy more than smoke anything and never do long, long overnight smokes.  

However I despite not smoking a ton still am sold on a portable pellet grill. I’d do a Weber 18’ kettle but a) I am lazy, b) have poor vision so charcoal is tough for me to sometimes see if lit and c) it takes so long to cool down I couldn’t move back into my garage that evening probably and it’d likely walk away. City livin’ … 

Which of these should I grab? Price is pretty irrelevant. 

GMG Trek (I’m kinda sold on it) … 
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime/trek/

Camp Chef Pursuit
https://www.campchef.com/shop/grills-and-smokers/grills/portable-grills/portable/CC-Pellet-Grills-and-Smokers-Portable.html 

Pit Boss Mahagoney (I’ve heard terrible customer service stories recently about PB so leery)
https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/portables/pit-boss-mahogany-series-150pps-tabletop-wood-pellet-grill

Just had an interesting conversation with my electrician.  It seems that pellet smokers don't play well with arc fault breakers over time.  I hadn't had any issues with the Yoder in the year since I bought it, but it started tripping the breaker this weekend with only the LED patio lights on.  He said that he has seen it a couple of times where simply replacing the arc fault with a GFCI will stop it from happening.  Just something to keep in mind if you start having issues.

God damnit, I posted in the all encompassing thread thinking it'd be all encompassing. But here we are. Anyway, looking for some resources on learning to use an offset smoker. New house came with this in the backyard:

image.png.9064f8a322ef21bf4a3212824cd496f6.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/4/2023 at 2:31 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Seeking advice. I am sick of dealing with 1 lb propane canisters (they’re impossible to dispose of where I live).

I have a unique situation where I live and have to move my grill from my detached garage (where it is kept) up two steps to another step that’s like 36”x36” - this is where my grill (currently a Weber Q 1200) sits when I grill. I then move back into my garage when done and it’s cooled down. 

I grill wayyyyyyyy more than smoke anything and never do long, long overnight smokes.  

However I despite not smoking a ton still am sold on a portable pellet grill. I’d do a Weber 18’ kettle but a) I am lazy, b) have poor vision so charcoal is tough for me to sometimes see if lit and c) it takes so long to cool down I couldn’t move back into my garage that evening probably and it’d likely walk away. City livin’ … 

Which of these should I grab? Price is pretty irrelevant. 

GMG Trek (I’m kinda sold on it) … 
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime/trek/

I have had a GMG Daniel Boone for 4 years. I have had no issues. The "trek" used to be called the Davey Crockett 

Edited by Hpara759
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Eggo said:

God damnit, I posted in the all encompassing thread thinking it'd be all encompassing. But here we are. Anyway, looking for some resources on learning to use an offset smoker. New house came with this in the backyard:

A friend bought an older house in East Austin that had a custom smoker similar to that but smaller. He didn’t use it because cracks in the masonry over time had created too many vents, and he never got around to fixing those.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

A friend bought an older house in East Austin that had a custom smoker similar to that but smaller. He didn’t use it because cracks in the masonry over time had created too many vents, and he never got around to fixing those.

Name does not check out. 

On 7/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, Eggo said:

Damn… Open up your own BBQ joint.    Lol

• Haha 1