Any Family Members Ever Play College or Pro Sports?

Vic Mackey

My Grandfather lettered in Baseball for NC State back in the 1930s...but...while he was a pretty fanatical baseball fan and avid amateur player (I have a lot of his old gear) he never mentioned this while he was alive and I only found out he was a letterman when I found his old year books. So I am unable to confirm if he actually played for the team or was the team manager or something. Records from the 1930s are pretty spotty.

Edited by Valmy77

Sister played D3 basketball and is now getting into coaching in the Southland. Brother and I were shit athletes, but he did get a head coaching job in women's basketball one year out of college and was AD in three. I'm a banker to mostly poor people...I'm usually the one my parents leave out of the Christmas card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My uncle was a lineman for the Hoosiers in the 60s, joined the USAF after college to avoid the draft and retired in the 90s. He and my mom grew up in Speedway, Indianapolis and were buddies with all the Indy 500 folks. Still tight with a few of them.
First cousin that played DB for an NAIA school in Kentucky, and his son did the same. He's won some championships as a HS coach.

The best story, by far, is the time my brother-in-law told the family that he made the Dallas Cowboys after a local tryout in Tyler, TX 15 years or so ago. That one's become a holiday tradition in our family, although we wait until he and my sister aren't around to tell it.

Dad was on the practice/taxi squad for UT Baseball and Bibb Falk in the '50s 

I played JUCO baseball.... (maybe a cool story,.... watching the CWS Championship game on tv in 1983, the losing pitcher (Alabama) was a former teammate of mine from American Legion ball in SA , and the winning pitcher (UT) was a former opponent from San Jacinto CC,..some here may have heard of him).

Wife (no pics) was a 3 year Basketball starter at Pan American. She also ran cross-country.

Her brother was ALL-SWC in football at TCU. He then played 2 yrs for the Falcons in the NFL.

Their dad played football at Oklahoma A & M (now OSU)

A distant cousin of mine played UT baseball and is one of the few players to hit a homer over the batter's eye (400 ft. and 20 foot high) center field wall @ the Disch.

17 hours ago, Snacks said:

Dad played LB at Indiana State

Uncle played WR at Indiana State and was a UDA for the San Diego Chargers (but got cut after one preseason game)

FIL played TE at Gambling.

A Cousin played CB at Indiana State.

A Cousin is a CB right now at Earlham College.

A Cousin was a SG at Ranger College (basketball).

I was a walk-on WR one spring/summer at the University of the First Class, but I had to quit in the summer so I could work to pay rent. I also was on the Lady Longhorns hasketball practice squad one season. (yes, really)

I picked up an Indiana St shirt for free at some point in college. Usually wore it to the gym or basketball and had more than a handful of excited people approach me. Csb

Uncle played football for Tech for about a minute

• Like 1

Three uncles played college football, one at SMU, one at Stanford, one at USMA. Cousin also played at Stanford. All but Stanford uncle played awhile in pros. SMU uncle tore his knee up first season at NYG, USMA uncle played for NYG for a few years and then at Montreal for several more. Cousin played for Dallas Texans and their alter ego, KC Chiefs. 

My grandfather on my mother’s side is in the Duquesne hall of fame for basketball. I used to joke with him that he played, 1918-21, before the ball had air. He also played some semi-pro baseball and some football.

Cousin played tight end at Pitt. Another cousin threw the hammer at VMI. One cousin played hockey at Mercyhurst. German cousin’s son is a goalie in the states at a college and his younger brother is on Moenchengladbach’s U17 & German National team.

As was said in the Uncle RICO thread I was a pretty good kicker but fused vertebrae made it impossible to play. I would certainly have made the team at Pitt but have no idea how I would have reacted to game situations. If I had played I would have been on the team for the Pitt-Texas Bluebonnet Bowl game.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

6 hours ago, po elvis said:

A distant cousin of mine played UT baseball and is one of the few players to hit a homer over the batter's eye (400 ft. and 20 foot high) center field wall @ the Disch.

6 hours ago, po elvis said:

Dodd Johnson?

Nope. Bobby Bensch. He played at SA Marshall,  pretty sure he later was in the Cincinnati Reds organization and got a World Series ring as a late call up with them in 1990.

My wife’s grandfather was a pitcher for the Longhorns on their 1950 national championship team. Went on to pitch in the minors for the then Milwaukee braves. He had some cool stories of pitching against Eddie Matthews, frank robinson and Mickey mantle.

2 hours ago, Bellboy said:

Erxleben by marriage. Do felons count ?

I remember the day the Feds came to get him the first time for the Forex scam he was running.  Gated community, I was on my way out and there were a dozen unmarked cars and SUVs stuck outside the gate for like 30 min.  Apparently one of the old guards at the gate couldn't find them on the list and they had trouble producing the warrant or something like that.  

Heard it gave him time to slip out the back gate but he later surrendered?  Not sure about that part, maybe neighborhood gossip.  But the cars stuck at the gate for a while I can confirm. 

Friend of my brother got in on the "early returns" and tried to talk me into investing.  Obviously knew who RE was but I wasn't interested in that sort of deal. Know quite a few people who lost some money in that scam.  If it sounds too good to be true and all that. 

2 hours ago, Injury Prone said:

Older brother played DB for the Chiefs & Oilers...

Played w/Dez Bryant @ Lufkin Middle School(7th grade). Teammates w/Terrance Williams & Chris Givens in Dallas. Chris was my backup @ tailback./(CSB)

Your brother played with the oilers and was a teammate of Dez? Is he a time traveling wizard?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Erxleben is my third cousin according to family lore and the kraut great grandmother named Clara Erxleben.  Feel free to PM me for my investment newsletter- only 9.95. 

Checks in the mail. I would of sent more, but I’ve already committed a tidy sum to this Nigerian Prince who reached out to me.

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Erxleben is my third cousin according to family lore and the kraut great grandmother named Clara Erxleben.  Feel free to PM me for my investment newsletter- only 9.95. 

You're doing it wrong.  The newsletter only cost 9.95, but if you sign up and pay that sum, next month you get 19.90 back.*  Tell all your friends  

*blah blah blah, investments are risky, blah blah blah.