Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So now, with the benefit of hindsight, what positive impact has “tiering” our support for UKR had?

Either we decide to support them fully or we don’t, but refusing their request only to fulfill them later serves no purpose IMO.

I disagree.

You always run the risk of escalating this conflict to a catastrophic degree.

The 'take a step forward and wait', take a step forward and wait', take a step forward and wait' seems to be working and we haven't seen nuclear weapons being used yet or a kinetic war break out in another part of Europe.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

1EDAC015-2612-47D1-AE6A-CA9661E4C0EB.jpeg.7e280492ccf670a1eea56ef6ebdf656a.jpeg

That will make folks want to invest in Russia post-war!  Good economic strategy long-term. 

Gotta oligarch while the oligarching is good.  I'm not sure he's worried about much more than a few years down the road.  They'll blow up that bridge when they get to it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, locodos said:

Gotta oligarch while the oligarching is good.  I'm not sure he's worried about much more than a few years down the road.  They'll blow up that bridge when they get to it.

Yup.  Given how much $$ oligarchs have lost in wealth because of the special military operation, and given the “voluntary” recent tax on their profits to bail him out of war expenses eating up the budget, he has to throw the oligarchs a few bones to keep them less unhappy.  

12 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Seems like the videos I've watched, where the BMPs have really gone boom, they're hitting them in the back doors or right under the turret.  If I remember correctly, their spare gas tanks are in the back door, right?  Perhaps they've loaded these up with some sort of armor piercing/directional charge.  Either way, you wouldn't think a small flying drone would be capable of doing this kind of damage.

8 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Seems like the videos I've watched, where the BMPs have really gone boom, they're hitting them in the back doors or right under the turret.  If I remember correctly, their spare gas tanks are in the back door, right?  Perhaps they've loaded these up with some sort of armor piercing/directional charge.  Either way, you wouldn't think a small flying drone would be capable of doing this kind of damage.

Could've been an ammo explosion, too. I'm with you, though. Whenever I see explosions that big on these videos, I assume it hit fuel or ammo. Even with artillery strikes, there's a big difference when the target of opportunity has ordnance or fuel supplies. You see it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I disagree.

You always run the risk of escalating this conflict to a catastrophic degree.

The 'take a step forward and wait', take a step forward and wait', take a step forward and wait' seems to be working and we haven't seen nuclear weapons being used yet or a kinetic war break out in another part of Europe.

What have been the catastrophic consequences of offering additional support (that has previously been withheld due to fear of escalation)?

• Hook 'Em 2

Really can’t recommend this interview about the roots and ongoing reasons for India’s reliance on Russia.  This is a big one that I expect to change—slowly— as a result of inefficiencies and sanctions and domestic demand associated with Russia’s defense industry. 

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/06/15/more-sentimental-than-pragmatic

If India were not dependent for 70 percent of its military on Russia, if [that number were only] 30 percent, it would be different. I’ll give you an example. Three years ago, in 2020, remember when China and India had a clash at the border, the first thing the Indian defense minister did was to go to Moscow because he wanted to make sure that the Russians would provide spare parts. Now today, the problem is that Russia may not be able to supply all those spare parts, and Russia will not be able to supply the equipment. If India had started a decade ago or even five years ago to move away [from Russian supplies], it would have been better. But India’s current position is: if you’re so dependent on somebody, you cannot stand up and say something. It creates a problem [with] India’s policy of strategic autonomy, which means that India should be able to disagree with somebody [on one issue] and agree [on another]. Right now, India isn’t able to disagree with Russia simply because 70 percent of India’s military equipment is Russian-made.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

58 minutes ago, RPM said:

If I was an aid worker I'd be marked up like a motherfucker. A huge red cross makes a nice target but it's hard to explain targeting.

They don’t care. They’ll lie. They’ll say the aid workers were actually soldiers, planting mines, and trolls across social media will parrot the claim as fact. 

Russia shot down a 777 and never had a single repercussion. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, RPM said:

If I was an aid worker I'd be marked up like a motherfucker. A huge red cross makes a nice target but it's hard to explain targeting.

Maybe. I've noticed Ukrainian field ambulances don't have markings on them any more because Russian military was specifically targeting them. 

You say it's hard to explain targeting. It's hard to explain a lot of things, but they do them anyway. You just have to know if you're going to help people in a war zone where Russia is involved, there's a good chance they're going to try to kill you. Not accidentally. Purposefully. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Russian state TV talking about Lukashenko's successor.  He must be dying/dead.

This will please @Brisketexan and others (me included) - Western nations need to start keeping an eye on Russian citizens living abroad. Yes, plenty fled trying to avoid mobilization, but plenty did not, and were either there because of wealth/wealthy parents, or are there fucking around and spying.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1