Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Israeli press is running with the story 

Looks like they may be "veterans," not active military (riiight).  Still badass.   Zine be-ayn, Vlad!

The first Israeli special forces veterans arrived in Ukraine to fight on the side of Ukraine against Russian aggression. 

This was announced on March 4 in his Telegram channel by the deputy of the Verkhovna Rada from the EU faction Oleksiy Goncharenko.

https://odessa-journal.com/israeli-special-forces-veterans-arrived-in-ukraine/

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I take all of these interviews with Russian citizens with a grain of salt. They just passed a law that you can be imprisoned for 15 years for spreading “false information” about the war. And even before the law, your average Russian knew that you might get disappeared if you piss off the wrong government official. You’re not gonna find many of them willing to say “yeah Putin is full of shit and we need to end this war immediately”.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Watching Bloomberg Asian day break, In other economic good news for us bad news for them.  Russia will default on its bonds at the end of the month.  Moody's has already moved them into junk status.  This will make them unable to issue bonds and raise capital on foreign markets for a long time.

It’s worse than this. Rosneft didn’t make its $2b bond payment and Gazprom won’t make their $1.3B bond payment tomorrow. This had very wide res hung consequence and will lead to hundreds of other borrowers missing upcoming bind payments. This alone will set back Russia’s economy 10 years by freezing them out of the global market.

There was a really good breakdown by one of the retired US military guys about how a NFZ means you have to take out all anti aircraft assets that can hit your aircraft. Which means you have take out stuff in Belarus and Russia which means it is WWIII.
This! Russian air defenses are legit. If we send in 5th Gen fighter assets to take out SAM sites and one gets shot down, it would be disastrous. This makes me think it would have to be done with Vipers and strike eagles but it would be tuff because it would require other air assets the 5th Gen platforms wouldn't need. Luckily, the US isn't going to partake in a NFZ.

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’s worse than this. Rosneft didn’t make its $2b bond payment and Gazprom won’t make their $1.3B bond payment tomorrow. This had very wide res hung consequence and will lead to hundreds of other borrowers missing upcoming bind payments. This alone will set back Russia’s economy 10 years by freezing them out of the global market.

What's a bit concerning about all this, is that at some point this will all be over, Putin will be gone (hopefully sooner than latter), and then we are going to almost have to Marshall Plan almost all of Eastern Europe to get this situation to stabilize.  Hopefully we can set the stage for long term partnership and democracy out of all this, combined with nuclear disarming in the region.   Maybe that will all be worth it, but its going to be a gigantic restoration effort, like I said the comparable to the Marshall Plan, so all the economic ruin we instituting now we will be left to also undo.  

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’s worse than this. Rosneft didn’t make its $2b bond payment and Gazprom won’t make their $1.3B bond payment tomorrow. 

guess that means we wont be subjected to more Gazprom ads and sponsorships in the champions league for a while. 

so we have that going for us....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am thinking of starting a [serious] thread that eliminates all links from obviously biased sources. Reuters, BBC, AP, al-Jazeera, AFP, DW, etc only. The noise-to-signal on this thread is getting unbearable between the blatant Ukrainian propaganda and the shitposting. 

Since you were originally quoting the numbers that I posted from the Ukrainian government, I'd like to point out that whether you consider it propaganda or not, it's news-worthy because it's their government saying this, just like when people are posting videos of Putin trying to pretend like Russia is doing well.  These two things are extremely newsworthy, and Reuters, BBC, aJ, AP, etc. will all run articles on the numbers Ukraine puts out, as well as what Putin says.

Hell, the only thing Putin hasn't said is that this war is about trying to shut down Ukraine's ability to ship out bags-of-dicks in ever-increasing quantities, thereby allowing Russia to remain Bob Stoops' sole supplier

Are Ukraine's numbers 100% accurate?  No, and they even add in disclaimers that some of those numbers are unverified, and in the Russian-controlled areas where there was heavy fighting, we might never know how many Russians were killed/etc.

But we know they've knocked out/captured a shitload of tanks, APCs, and trucks - the data/history/military nerds are tracking this stuff, and given that they are only using photographed vehicles and they are drilling down to "oh this BMP had these taillights so it was made in 1993" etc., it's a decent picture of where things are at. We know there are a shit-ton that  are knocked out that haven't been accounted for (or were hauled off by farmers in the dead of night).  We know they are bringing stuff in from the Far East that takes 7-10 days to get there by rail, and we've seen the train full of civilian vehicles, so we know the Russians are hurting bad.

Is Ukraine is knocking down an average of 9 aircraft a day (helicopters and airplanes)?  Well, they knocked down 9 yesterday, and it seems like the numbers have been increasing.  We know they were easily hitting 5-6 a day prior to that, so if that number is off, it's probably not that far off.

And if Ukraine said that 11,000 includes dead, wounded, and captured Russians, I could buy that - we've seen too many convoys knocked out, and way too many corposes (at least those of us looking at that stuff).  I don't buy 11,000 dead, but we will soon be there.

Hell, on March 2nd, the Russian Defense Ministry confirmed that 500 Russian troops have died and 1,600 more have been wounded.  We had 150 killed in hostile action, and around 460 wounded in hostile action in the first Gulf War, and 170 killed and 550 or so wounded in 2003. For the Russians to admit they are taking those kinds of losses after they declared war on Ukraine is huge.

That's a lot of dead and wounded Russian soldiers in a war that Russia declared on a country literally on her doorstep. A lot of analysts have said to take that official number the Russians released on March 2nd and multiply it by 10, because it doesn't match the destruction of Russian vehicles/troops/etc. that we've seen and there's no way Putin is going to admit to the actual numbers. And the Russians sidestepped the issue of Russian POWs.

The thing is: I doubt the Russian leadership actually knows how many dead, wounded, and captured troops they have.  The Russians are leaving their dead behind, and there has been a lot of troops that just seem to wander off and surrender.  

MAC, I get what you are saying - I've seen Russian troll farms hitting some websites I manage (which aren't even related to anything to do with Ukraine/the war) and a couple of forums I help moderate, even after we banned all Russian IPs, as well as my social media feeds, and I've got a batshit in-law who was pushing Putin's claims on FB and passing around ZeroHedge and RT bullshit (she shut up after other relatives brought up her mental health issues).

But there is definitely room in a news thread for what the leadership of both Ukraine and Russia are saying, especially when it's tied to statistics.

And here's an important factor that many overlook: The Ukrainian government has put out plenty of bad news that makes their situation look bad/dire/etc., while the Russian government is pretending like things are on track to de-Nazify Ukraine and remove her nukes or whatever the fuck they are claiming to be doing today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fair. They may not occupy the cities. They’ll level them instead.

Depends on the city.  The Ukrainians may push them out of artillery range of Kyiv, and they are going to be fairly gun-shy when it comes to dropping dumb bombs there, given that it puts their aircraft in Stinger range, and Kyiv is close to crawling with Stingers.

They'll have to do it with missiles out of Belarus/Russia and rockets from outside of the suburbs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

What's the deal with the Z? 

It seems to be an identification symbol for the invasion force. Most of the Russian vehicles have a white Z crudely painted on them. It is a little odd in that the Cyrillic alphabet does not use Z. But I don't think it is supposed to have any ideological or symbolic meaning, it is just an arbitrary identifier.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This speaks volumes about how Russia thinks things are going, and about how paranoid Putin and Co. are.

Things are going very, very badly if they are going this route, and they are worried about folks finding out the truth or organizing for civil disobedience on various foreign websites and the like.

• Hook 'Em 1

How much longer do you think they can keep the Russian stock market closed?  
Update, apparently closed Monday and Tuesday for international Women's day.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-03-04/card/russia-s-stock-market-to-remain-closed-through-tuesday-68G0Quk94o1jbIZX0HLO

126c85ffe8f3b2f4908873c687002404.gif

It would be great if someone could sub Putin’s head in for Reynold’s
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

Just posting this one for reference, as it actually seems to lie somewhere in between the overly simplistic "broad swathe" maps and the one that just shows the roads that the Russians has secured as being under Russian control. And this one shows the encirclement strategy attempts a bit clearer.

This is the middle bowl of Russo-Ukrainian War Map porridge, IMO.

spacer.png

Thank you for this - so much better than the cheap-ass maps a lot of the news channels are pushing, where some intern is just coloring in areas between Russian assaults, even though those areas may not have been secured.

Maps like this can also explain why Russian convoys are constantly being ambused - lots of places where those convoys would be running without control of the surrounding countryside.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’re not going to get any good assessments from the Russian side about how the campaign is going. Not only because they won’t publish bad news, but because they deny the scale and scope of what they are doing.  

I also do not think the Russians have a good grasp of what is happening in terms of overall deaths, destroyed/captured vehicles, etc., as well as what is happening at the lower levels, either because of ambushes that knock out groups, or soldiers walked away and surrendering in the night or because lower-level NCOs/officers are too scared to pass bad news along.  

If the Soviet mindset is still present after all these years, as it appears to be, there's just a whole lot of officers at all levels that are going to be unwilling to pass bad news up the chain.

And then there is the problem of bad situational awareness they seem to have - if we see a 15-vehicle convoy that was completely destroyed, complete with bodies/body parts, there is a good chance the commander of their regiment or division is far enough away not to even realize or know it, not helped by the convoy issue spreading units out and keeping them from being able to help each other.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This speaks volumes about how Russia thinks things are going, and about how paranoid Putin and Co. are.

Things are going very, very badly if they are going this route, and they are worried about folks finding out the truth or organizing for civil disobedience on various foreign websites and the like.

Just wait till they double down mid March and have to blame Ukraine for the shitty day to day lives their own citizens are experiencing. The mind fuck that is going to be

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Regarding the videos of Ukrainian soldiers standing in the open and hitting tanks without any return fire: come on, man!  Those are abandoned tanks with no Russian soldiers in or around them.  There are no secondary explosions from ammo cooking off, so it's debatable whether the armor was even penetrated.  I want every Russian in Ukraine to never leave alive, and for every Ukrainian farmer to have his own used vehicle lot, so I want them to be true, too.  You must use your head when you watch these, and think critically.

I hope that they are taking real steps to render these vehicles permanently inoperable.

Felt like they were maybe training/practicing, but I do have to say I have seen multiple videos of Ukrainian soldiers properly using RPGs and doing the "scoot and shoot" afterward.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I know I'll get shelled for even bringing up RT.com but their English-language site has been objective to the point of mutinous right up until now. They are not reporting on the progress of the invasion on the ground, but they are not exactly cheerleading and absolutely overloading stories on negative world reaction. I don't know if that's some kind of psyops trap -- see, we can be reasonable, English speakers? -- or if the staff has gone rogue. Go take a look. 

You do know that RT stands for Russia Today and is literally a mouthpiece for the Russian government, right?

Yeah, you're gonna get shelled for claiming this is anywhere remotely near "objective." 

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I'm up for an Ocean's 11 heist. Despite my limited brain matter, I am fabulous at distraction. LOL

Also, and this is not meant to insult posters who are bothered by/upset by (not sure what is the right word) about Ukraine using any type of propaganda right now. I don't think they are exaggerating the children killed. Zelenskyy's wife posted pictures of the 28 children killed in this horrible invasion perpetrated by that POS Putin. I would use everything I had to my advantage.

I don't think they are exaggerating firing at civilians trying to flee. I am sure there are exaggerations and while I don't care for it (as disinformation can absolutely be found out and quickly with so many reporting on the ground there) I understand why.

EVERY government uses propaganda. Every single SoTU address is propaganda to a degree. Every local state and federal government of the United States has used it. Every organization uses it. I think there are people though who are irritated that the Ukrainians are getting so much press and so much support globally while their own personal causes are not. Sorry that those causes are not getting or will never get the same attention or captivate the attention of the globe in the way that the Ukrainians and their leader have. That is the truth. And I can't change it but being pissed off at Ukrainians pleading for NATO to protect their skies and using SM to try and get what they want as well as aircraft isn't something I am upset about. I ask myself why people are so bothered by it. 

Being part Jewish I am incensed by all the Nazi rhetoric that is out there and the Bullshit about it coming from Putin et al as to justify their invasion (one of many false and bullshit reasons.) 

Shaun Walker: Covering central/eastern Europe for The Guardian. Author of The Long Hangover: Putin's New Russia and the Ghosts of the Past. shaun.walker@theguardian.com:

Hearing this in Churchill’s voice

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Back to Twitter reliability: I have just a few follows because the analysis is a lot more interesting than the rehashed videos that get posted (90 percent plus are repeats).  
Gen Hertling and Gen Mick Ryan are both good follows.

Ex military who have direct experience of this kind of combat have a unique insight into what Russia is and isn’t doing.  

Twitter has produced some outstanding content these days - yeah, it's easy to get a broad overview from the news media, but I feel like a lot of the experts/analysts/nerds who are getting into the weeds are providing the true picture, when they break down what Russian units are having problems or what units are being seen where, or point out things like shitty Chinese tires or piss-poor maintenance.

Rather than giving us a top-down picture looking down from the clouds we hear things about stuck convoys, and then some dude is showing us photos of mud-stuck vehicles in that area or they show what looks like tire rot or piss-poor engine maintenance or whatever, and you start building the picture from the ground up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Sending others to die in the place of Russians to make the losses more palatable, I guess. Hopefully, none of them are dumb enough to go, they have enough problems as it is back in Syria.

It's not about making the losses palatable, it's about making the losses never appear in the Russian citizen's minds - if a Syrian dies, doesn't count!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Elephant in the room....when do we push back harder against pootin? Sanctions and let Ukraine die as fodder. We think the sanctions will prevent future blood letting? I am not wanting all out nuclear war but at what point do we say, enough is enough?

We don't, outside of oil & gas.  If we can keep a steady stream of anti-tank weapons and MANPADs flowing in, and the Ukrainians can keep it up to the point where Russia is importing troops in Toyota Rav 4s or whatever, the Russians will reach their breaking point. 

Imagine 3-4 days from now if, two weeks in, Russia is in even worse shape to try and take on Kyiv.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

It seems to be an identification symbol for the invasion force. Most of the Russian vehicles have a white Z crudely painted on them. It is a little odd in that the Cyrillic alphabet does not use Z. But I don't think it is supposed to have any ideological or symbolic meaning, it is just an arbitrary identifier.

Obligatory World War Z reference. Probably randomly chosen, but maybe a reference to the Ukrainian president as well.

Just now, Rimbo said:

I'm in tears right now.

Me too. Lots of reasons on this one all of them valid. 

I cry for the Russian people. I cry for all of Ukraine. I cry for the innocent civilians caught up in this invasion orchestrated by a POS. I cry for the people all over that don't understand what true evil is. I cry for the people who will wait until its too late and on evil is on their very doorstep AND they finally fucking get what they are dealing with BUT it will be too damned late for them and for us. 

I hadn't heard that particular Sting song before. I keep hearing Fields of Gold anyway when I look at all of those Ukraine pictures. Of the sky and the sunflower fields. 

I cry that Zelenskyy may not make it out alive and what that will mean for those who are fighting. For all the lives lost. I cry that NATO will never give them the help they are pleading for unless one of us is attacked. I cry that they even have to plead for this shit. 

Its terrible. Terrible shit. All I can do is pray and find legit ways to help and donate so that is what I am doing and try my best to educate those who would think that Putin is good that they are 100% wrong. 

We should always negotiate and try to negotiate but there may come a point where we have to fight. I cry for that too. If it comes to that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Haven’t been following the blow by blow as closely the last few days. Curious if this reads as decent analysis. 

Seems like a good read. This part jumps out:

• There is no unified command in the actions of the Russian grouping and actions in several directions of attack do not weaken the defense of the Ukrainian side and do not facilitate the offensive in any other direction,
  • The step-by-step occupation of the territories under the fierce and effective defense of the Ukrainian side further slows down the pace of the Russian offensive and makes it generally unclear the possibility of achieving the operational goals.
  • The deployment of Russian forces is fragmentary and in the event of active actions by Ukraine, Russia will not be able to create effective defensive barriers, and in case of failure in several directions, there is a high probability of a collapse of the control of Russian units and their panic retreat.

I'm curious what the collapse of a modern military would look like in 2022.  Not what we saw with Iraq where they were wrecked and then wrecked again, but where we saw the invading/conquering force bite off more than they can chew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Every time I see the word MANPAD my first thought is that bit from Rob and Big where Big Black was talking about manpons.... Every time.

I imagine what NowThis needed after fulfilling his fantasies. 

• Haha 2