Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

56 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^If this is true, then this is much more favorable terms than they've been touting publicly. Lavrov has publicly been saying they want to take out the drug-addicted nazis at the leadership, and completely demilitarize the country. Others have been saying they want the entire East of the Dnieper and all of the coastline to make Ukraine landlocked.

However, these negotiations are Zelensky can stay (even though he's supposedly a drug-addicted nazi? lol) and all we want now is Crimera, Donestsk and Luhansk and you to never join NATO or EU.

So either a) this is a ploy by Russia and they shouldn't believe a word of it, b) Russia sees this is hopeless and seeking to get something out of it to save face, or c) these backchannel convos we're getting are incorrect.

So Zelensky has to accept his Gary Patterson?  non-starter...it's not like Zelensky lost to Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's just so incredibly fucked up how far Russia has penetrated western democracy. Let's hope the shit is permanently flowing back toward Moscow.

If the British Upper Class were actually upper class, they'd still be roaming the earth looting diamonds and raw materials from the locals, not begging for coins from glorified pimps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Would it be unethical to sell black Z t-shirts in the United States to A) grift money off idiots and B) collect buyer information?

You're describing the business model of pretty much every print-to-order shop that exists online. If you're buying something on the internet, your information is being sold

32 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

On the fuel convoy.....love it.  Hit their fuel resupply and ammo resupply relentlessly.  A tank with no gas, and a rocket launcher with no ammo -- they're just paperweights.  Oh, and fat targets for additional attacks.

It's looking like this will be a war that will be a case-study in the importance of logistics for a generation to come.  I hope that it remains a "here's NOT what to do" tale.  Bleed the Russian military dry.  Take out fuel and ammo.  Kill support troops en masse.  Repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If the British Upper Class were actually upper class, they'd still be roaming the earth looting diamonds and raw materials from the locals, not begging for coins from glorified pimps.

English upper class has been broke for a long time and on their knees for rich foreign nationals. It was us at the turn of the last century.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

On the fuel convoy.....love it.  Hit their fuel resupply and ammo resupply relentlessly.  A tank with no gas, and a rocket launcher with no ammo -- they're just paperweights.  Oh, and fat targets for additional attacks.

It's looking like this will be a war that will be a case-study in the importance of logistics for a generation to come.  I hope that it remains a "here's NOT what to do" tale.  Bleed the Russian military dry.  Take out fuel and ammo.  Kill support troops en masse.  Repeat. 

That's what is so wild - these are not new tactics and strategies.  They go back thousands of years.  This was either hubris (my thought) overlaid with obvious incompetence.  Initial reports from many captured soldiers indicated that they (soldiers) thought this was going to be a cake walk and that they would be welcomed as heroes with very little actual fighting.....an obvious intelligence and contingency failure.  Most were ill equipped for an extended campaign and the subsequent logistical issues only compounded this.  Now compare this to GW1.  The military buildup.  The layered attack coordination.  The communication all the way down the chain of command on expectations and execution.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just don't understand, we fought these wars several times over the last century, how is any large army bad at "logistics." I'm following the stories and happy to read stuff like this but I still have some feeling that it's being overstated. Like in rivalry games where we are the underdog, I take the view that I'll believe it when I see it, i.e., an ending to this war that is clearly a Russian defeat. I have been expecting every morning to read about a major defeat from Ukraine, and each morning it doesn't happen I get more hope that they really are going to be able to hold out long term.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

That's what is so wild - these are not new tactics and strategies.  They go back thousands of years.  This was either hubris (my thought) overlaid with obvious incompetence.  Initial reports from many captured soldiers indicated that they (soldiers) thought this was going to be a cake walk and that they would be welcomed as heroes with very little actual fighting.....an obvious intelligence and contingency failure.  Most were ill equipped for an extended campaign and the subsequent logistical issues only compounded this.  Now compare this to GW1.  The military buildup.  The layered attack coordination.  The communication all the way down the chain of command on expectations and execution.  

Exactly.  I suspect there was a man-sized helping of "believing your own bullshit" going on here -- from how "mighty and invincible the great Russian military is" to believing their own propaganda bullshit about how half of Ukraine was really Russians at heart and were desperately waiting for Russia to save them from a nazi genocide.  Turns out that the Russian military is a bunch of busted-ass El Camino's with maxed out gas cards and the Ukrainian people were, uhh, SLIGHTLY less welcoming than expected.

And your last point is key as well.  The world now has a vision in contrast -- see how the US/West handle logistics vs. how Russia handles them......and it's like comparing a Nick Saban Bama squad to a Tom Herman team.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Stuff like this does matter. My Twitter feed is everyone I can find on the ground in Ukraine or part of the government…shit like this jacks up their spirits. The original one I posted upthread cut off James’s head so just adding it for those who don’t click on the tweets we all post. Shit like this matters. 

47B57C61-33F9-4F47-B91F-E9E6646A0653.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP.  Has this been confirmed, or is it BS?

"The pride of the Nazi Black Sea Fleet - the newest patrol ship of project 22160 "Vasily Bykov" has been destroyed by the Ukrainian Army."

per Oleg Konstantinov, the editor of a news website called Dumskaya in Ukraine's port city of Odessa.

https://dumskaya.net/news/podvig-ukrainskih-moryakov-pod-udar-rszo-rossiys-160920/

"The impossible is possible! The Ukrainian fleet showed its teeth

So, today there is finally an official confirmation of what your editors knew before - information about the successful operation of the Naval Forces of Ukraine, which managed to accomplish the impossible (which, by the way, no one has been surprised for a long time) and destroy the pride of the Nazi Black Sea Fleet - the newest patrol ship of the project 22160 "Vasily Bykov".

Yesterday, this rocket-armed colossus, exceeding in its combat potential everything that the Ukrainian Naval Forces have in terms of surface forces, came under attack from Ukrainian naval rocket artillery. It happened in the Odessa region.

The ship sank today. There is no information about the fate of the crew. True, the water is cold, and next to it is the valiant Ukrainian air defense, which has already proven that it can make the weather non-flying literally at the click of a finger. Helicopters will not get close to drowning people.

But maybe someone got lucky.

However, we are not talking about that now. As it became known to us, the defeat of Bykov was by no means due to a combination of circumstances - no, it was a planned and brilliantly implemented naval operation.

Remember those memorable booms that were heard in Odessa for several days? We wrote that these are Russian ships trying to sink light Ukrainian boats - "gyurzas" and "ayleins". And that ours successfully evade. Unfortunately, one of the Ukrainian boats was sunk. Many sailors were saved.

So, it turns out that the iron warriors of the Ukrainian Navy (and sitting in a boat with light weapons against such monsters as the Makarov and the Bulls - this must be a truly iron man) did not escape, but lured the Russians to a prepared, equipped and superbly camouflaged firing position N-th artillery brigade. Which at the right time did its job.

The result is there. It is a pity that for the sake of this very important and unprecedented in the world military history (warships have never been sunk from the ground by RZSO systems), the victory had to be sacrificed by a beautiful boat and part of its brave crew. They will live in the hearts of the Ukrainian nation. Streets and squares will soon be named after them.

Eternal memory to the heroes of Ukraine!

Author — Oleg Konstantinov"

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I just don't understand, we fought these wars several times over the last century, how is any large army bad at "logistics." I'm following the stories and happy to read stuff like this but I still have some feeling that it's being overstated. Like in rivalry games where we are the underdog, I take the view that I'll believe it when I see it, i.e., an ending to this war that is clearly a Russian defeat. I have been expecting every morning to read about a major defeat from Ukraine, and each morning it doesn't happen I get more hope that they really are going to be able to hold out long term.

You don't need to worry about logistical support when you're just taking a Sunday drive into friendly territory.  You send in the armor, the fuel trucks happily follow them, and they don't need to refuel often anyway because it's all over in 2-3 days.  It seems apparent that's what Russia planned for.

That was a big mistake.

Now, they have to fight an actual war with no plan on how to do so, and they've lost so much support/logistical equipment that they'll have a hard time adjusting their game plan (and they ain't great at mid-game adjustments to begin with).

There's a path to victory for Ukraine -- it's a war of logistical attrition.  Ukraine doesn't have to advance or win anything.  They just have to keep exacting hideous costs on the Russian supply system, and Russian troops who are fucking exposed as hell on those roads.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You don't need to worry about logistical support when you're just taking a Sunday drive into friendly territory.  You send in the armor, the fuel trucks happily follow them, and they don't need to refuel often anyway because it's all over in 2-3 days.  It seems apparent that's what Russia planned for.

That was a big mistake.

Now, they have to fight an actual war with no plan on how to do so, and they've lost so much support/logistical equipment that they'll have a hard time adjusting their game plan (and they ain't great at mid-game adjustments to begin with).

There's a path to victory for Ukraine -- it's a war of logistical attrition.  Ukraine doesn't have to advance or win anything.  They just have to keep exacting hideous costs on the Russian supply system, and Russian troops who are fucking exposed as hell on those roads.

Stay small. Encircle the invaders. Gorilla warfare squared. Use their own tanks against them. Those 20,000 new fighters should be put to great use as will the weapons that keep pouring in. 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And your last point is key as well.  The world now has a vision in contrast -- see how the US/West handle logistics vs. how Russia handles them......and it's like comparing a Nick Saban Bama squad to a Tom Herman team.

Which is going to spur a mother of a military spending and build up.  Budgets are going to double and possibly triple.  Everyone is going to be frantically looking to build up their forces and we are going to see escalations almost everywhere as more and more sabers are rattled.  The implications of this are nowhere even close to being identified yet.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Which is going to spur a mother of a military spending and build up.  Budgets are going to double and possibly triple.  Everyone is going to be frantically looking to build up their forces and we are going to see escalations almost everywhere as more and more sabers are rattled.  The implications of this are nowhere even close to being identified yet.  

That too.  Although there are also contra-implications.  I wouldn't be wasting my money on a shitload of tanks anymore -- two dudes and a tube can take them out easily now.  Air superiority/supremacy remains the name of the game.  

But yeah, even the "mundane" stuff is gonna get some spending.  If you have an inside track on which outfit is going to get the contract to build the next generation of supply vehicles for NATO, buy all the stock you can.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That was a big mistake.

There just isn't any way Putin and his generals seriously believed they would be welcomed as "liberators." That was always clearly a lie to justify invasion. Maybe the underestimated the actual strength of Ukranian defenses, but there is no way they believed their own bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

There just isn't any way Putin and his generals seriously believed they would be welcomed as "liberators." That was always clearly a lie to justify invasion. Maybe the underestimated the actual strength of Ukranian defenses, but there is no way they believed their own bullshit. 

It seems insane.

But do you see any other logical conclusion?  I'm sure they thought there would be some token Ukrainian resistance, but it seems pretty clear that they expected a cakewalk, including with respect to a civilian response.  It may be dumb and insane, but the evidence all points to that conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Stay small. Encircle the invaders. Gorilla warfare squared. Use their own tanks against them. Those 20,000 new fighters should be put to great use as will the weapons that keep pouring in. 

Logistics play a huge part for the UA as well.  They are defending a country the size of Texas.  Imagine moving men and material under threat of attack from Texarkana to Austin?  Fuel, ammo, medical care.  It's a bitch for both combatants.  How mobile are the Uke forces?  

We've seen the impacts before.  The HCM trail in Vietnam that keep the VC supplied in the south.  The Hindu Kush and other mountain ranges in Afghanistan keeping supplies flowing from Pakistan.  I think this is going to drag on for a while, and I really hope I'm wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, PTINS said:

"The pride of the Nazi Black Sea Fleet - the newest patrol ship of project 22160 "Vasily Bykov" has been destroyed by the Ukrainian Army."

per Oleg Konstantinov, the editor of a news website called Dumskaya in Ukraine's port city of Odessa.

https://dumskaya.net/news/podvig-ukrainskih-moryakov-pod-udar-rszo-rossiys-160920/

So, today there is finally an official confirmation of what your editors knew before - information about the successful operation of the Naval Forces of Ukraine, which managed to accomplish the impossible (which, by the way, no one has been surprised for a long time) and destroy the pride of the Nazi Black Sea Fleet - the newest patrol ship of the project 22160 "Vasily Bykov".

Yesterday, this rocket-armed colossus, exceeding in its combat potential everything that the Ukrainian Naval Forces have in terms of surface forces, came under attack from Ukrainian naval rocket artillery. It happened in the Odessa region.

The ship sank today. There is no information about the fate of the crew. True, the water is cold, and next to it is the valiant Ukrainian air defense, which has already proven that it can make the weather non-flying literally at the click of a finger. Helicopters will not get close to drowning people.

However, we are not talking about that now. As it became known to us, the defeat of Bykov was by no means due to a combination of circumstances - no, it was a planned and brilliantly implemented naval operation.

Remember those memorable booms that were heard in Odessa for several days? We wrote that these are Russian ships trying to sink light Ukrainian boats - "gyurzas" and "ayleins". And that ours successfully evade. Unfortunately, one of the Ukrainian boats was sunk. Many sailors were saved.

So, it turns out that the iron warriors of the Ukrainian Navy (and sitting in a boat with light weapons against such monsters as the Makarov and the Bulls - this must be a truly iron man) did not escape, but lured the Russians to a prepared, equipped and superbly camouflaged firing position N-th artillery brigade. Which at the right time did its job.

The result is there. It is a pity that for the sake of this very important and unprecedented in the world military history (warships have never been sunk from the ground by RZSO systems), the victory had to be sacrificed by a beautiful boat and part of its brave crew. They will live in the hearts of the Ukrainian nation. Streets and squares will soon be named after them.

God I hope that's true.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That too.  Although there are also contra-implications.  I wouldn't be wasting my money on a shitload of tanks anymore -- two dudes and a tube can take them out easily now.  Air superiority/supremacy remains the name of the game.  

Everything has it's purpose, but yeah - large mechanized units are more vulnerable than ever before.  But as we saw in the Battle of Ramadi, tanks can still be invaluable as long as they have effective infantry support.  It's not the Russian gear that sucks, it's the training and coordination of their forces.  They thought their numbers and material would compensate, and they just don't in such a large country.  

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I’m pretty sure the Ukrainians scuttled their only major surface ship. Doesn’t mean they didn’t use Exocets or something from land/0planes/whatever.

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m pretty sure the Ukrainians scuttled their only major surface ship. Doesn’t mean they didn’t use Exocets or something from land/0planes/whatever.

There is video on the link provided above showing a MRLS launch. Article says they lured the ship in to get the light UA vessels and lit it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Logistics play a huge part for the UA as well.  They are defending a country the size of Texas.  Imagine moving men and material under threat of attack from Texarkana to Austin?  Fuel, ammo, medical care.  It's a bitch for both combatants.  How mobile are the Uke forces?  

We've seen the impacts before.  The HCM trail in Vietnam that keep the VC supplied in the south.  The Hindu Kush and other mountain ranges in Afghanistan keeping supplies flowing from Pakistan.  I think this is going to drag on for a while, and I really hope I'm wrong.  

I'm thinking that a big advantage for the UA is that they don't have to supply as much.  They don't have giant armored columns to fuel -- they can send 10 guys up on dirt bikes with javelins and wreck shit.  Yes, they have artillery and rocket launchers, and those will need ammo resupply, and there is armor they will use, but they are mostly holding positions, not advancing.  A bit easier to do.  And, when civilians are helping you, I'm betting you can get some diesel when you want it.

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Everything has it's purpose, but yeah - large mechanized units are more vulnerable than ever before.  But as we saw in the Battle of Ramadi, tanks can still be invaluable as long as they have effective infantry support.  It's not the Russian gear that sucks, it's the training and coordination of their forces.  They thought their numbers and material would compensate, and they just don't in such a large country.  

Armor still has a place.  And yeah.....the lack of Russian tactics on armor+infantry is mind-blowing.  But in any case, think of being in a tank, and heading into contested city X to try to take it.  You know there's a javelin or NLAW or 50 with your name on them.  That's got to be asshole-puckering now.  Even WITH infantry doing its job to clear areas.....they can't sweep EVERY nook and cranny.  I wouldn't want to be a Russian tank crew with orders of "drive into Kyiv" right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Murdering Mayors. 

Ukrainian mayor shot dead near Kyiv

The mayor of Hostomel has been shot and killed while out distributing aid, according to Ukrainian officials. 

The town is close to the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, and is home to the Hostomel airfield, a key strategic point at the centre of fighting between Russian and Ukrainian forces. 

The town council said Yuri Prylypko died while distributing bread and medicines to those in need.

He was killed along with two others, Ruslan Karpenkom and Ivan Zore.

A statement by the Hostomel council said he "died as a hero", adding it is impossible for a funeral to immediately be held due to the war.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-latest-news-war-vladimir-putin-zelenskyy-ceasefire-only-50-uk-visas-live-updates-12541713?postid=3495359#liveblog-body

• Rage+1 6

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's been on hear before from article published in the November-January range that predicted they don't have the logistics for this due to how dependent they on rail to resupply and then commandeer local trucks.  Add to that they use a wider gauge than Europe does and there are only a few lines to accommodate them and they are in the former East Bloc. The author said something about once RU is more than 90 miles from rail support their logistics are crap.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I found this part interesting:

A recent proposal to institute a no-fly zone is probably not the best idea. The problem is that it would apply to Ukrainian air force as well, including the Turkish-made Bayraktar TB2 drones which have been highly effective for the Ukrainians. Also, a request to NATO to attack a Russian aircraft you are directly requesting that they kill a Russian pilot which is not good for NATO and the anti-Russia coalition. It gives Russia an excuse to start fighting with NATO countries.
A better approach might be to establish and operate an anti-missile defense over the big cities and nuclear power stations. Russia cannot oppose this politically. For example a NATO statement that civilian casualties are too high, nuclear power plant are at high risk from rocket hits, therefore we will provide an an anti-missile defense (not anti-aircraft). This will dramatically decrease the Ukrainian civilian casualties in the cities. This would also be a force multiplier for the Ukrainian air defense making, for example Russian bombers, easy to target and bring down. Just target and destroy the technology. It may not be cheap however it would be effective militarily and politically. An anti-missile defense can be organized without sending equipment into Ukraine from four NATO countries (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania) which would at least cover the south and west parts of Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The first volunteers of the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine are already in positions on the outskirts of Kyiv. Volunteers from the United States, Great Britain, Sweden, Lithuania, Mexico, and even India.

Matching Galil rifles? Wonder who is outfitting these guys? 

• Haha 2