Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This doesn't have to matter in the long term, but bedfellows of convenience are quite common.  If Chine perceives a benefit in backing Russia, they will.  

I don't disagree at all just pointing out that's a very prominent "if." There's not much Russia has to offer China. And in the last 2 weeks even the value of Russia's currency is 50% of previous. Their mutual interests are not strong.

32 minutes ago, Chopper said:

C'mon Ray. I don't think you have both feet firmly on the ground, so to speak. Just like what you posted yesterday about the potential of a resumption of JCPOA somehow being a backward step. To help you better understand, know this: Russia and China aren't natural allies. China laughs at Russia and their backwards economy, and their undisciplined national personality.

With the developments of the last 2 weeks, Russia is now seen in even more of a position of weakness in China because the world has seen that their military is not quite the precision machine they've attempted to project. Even Russia's propaganda is seen as a joke - sure it may be working internally but not for ROTW. Russia has precious little resources that interest China and with Putin in a position of extreme witness, you'd have to believe that Putin would be interested in being a small satellite in the orbit of China in order to think those 2 nations are going to be fearsome allies. Seems unlikely.

You keep challenging the "twitterati echo chamber" though...whatever the fuck you think that is.

I think you may have misinterpreted both of my posts... I don't think the JCPOA is a backwards step whatsoever. I am a huge supporter of it, as a matter of fact. But my post didn't even mention my own beliefs on it.

But for the record, I think it was a terrible idea to do kill the thing in the first place and I hope the administration can get back into ASAP. And I never said it was a backward step. My post was that Russia's geopolitical calculation had changed re the JCPOA and that Israel was not for it, which is explicitly what they said, so that was likely driving Bennett's urgent involvement in making the rushed trip to Moscow. And as though to confirm my position that Russia now had an incentive to gunk up the wheels and was now doing that exact thing, Iran came out today and said the same thing:

"Vienna participants act and react based on [their own] interests and it's understandable," Ali Shamkhani, Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said in a tweet Monday. "Our interactions with 4+1 are also solely driven by our people's interests. Thus, we're assessing new elements that bear on the negotiations and will accordingly seek creative ways to expedite a solution," he added.

https://www.iranintl.com/en/202203078818

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-obstructs-iran-nuclear-deal-as-the-kremlin-frets-over-oil-income/

Re China...I agree with you. They are not natural allies whatsoever. And you are exactly correct...Russia has no desire to be subservient to China. But they have totally fucked themselves into having that as one of their only viable options though, and China has too many incentives to allow their economy to completely collapse. But they certainly will not prosper even to the pathetic degree that they were slogging by prior to the war.

My point in quoting Münchau is that their value to a hungry, vulture like China is going to make Russia's dependence on China even deeper. 

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The “what was promised” debates are so fucking tiresome.  They are for diplomatic historians and completely irrelevant to now because NOTHING WAS SIGNED.

FFS, does anyone believe Soviet and Russian diplomats and leaders are such babes in the woods that even if it was promised, they’d accept a nice memorandum and handshake? Get real.

Most importantly it has fuck all to do with attacking Ukraine, which didn’t even exist as a nation during the negotiations and sure as hell didn’t sign shit and that had nothing more than an “IOU,” Lloyd Christmas style to get into NATO anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

There is a very regimented process for EU entry.  Things like monetary policy and good governance.  For the longest time, the Ukrainian government was a corrupt, inept mess.  They gotta show progress before they get in.  

That said, EU membership won't change things right now.  It won't help them win the war.

The Big Lebowski Signings GIF

You know, lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have you’s….

• Hook 'Em 1

Also on NATO, even the language of “NATO expansion” is an issue.  It implies predatory behavior and the Alliance absorbing territories. 

NATO accepts members upon application and qualifying.  Don’t remove Central and Eastern European agency from this.  Almost as soon as the Warsaw Pact fell apart Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia (later Czech Republic and Slovakia) formed the Visegrad group, without prompting. Tops on their agenda— working together to be accepted into NATO. We didn’t have to ask. 

• Hook 'Em 3

^If this is true, then this is much more favorable terms than they've been touting publicly. Lavrov has publicly been saying they want to take out the drug-addicted nazis at the leadership, and completely demilitarize the country. Others have been saying they want the entire East of the Dnieper and all of the coastline to make Ukraine landlocked.

However, these negotiations are Zelensky can stay (even though he's supposedly a drug-addicted nazi? lol) and all we want now is Crimera, Donestsk and Luhansk and you to never join NATO or EU.

So either a) this is a ploy by Russia and they shouldn't believe a word of it, b) Russia sees this is hopeless and seeking to get something out of it to save face, or c) these backchannel convos we're getting are incorrect.

Edited by MillerEP

15 minutes ago, Parliament said:

There is a very regimented process for EU entry.  Things like monetary policy and good governance.  For the longest time, the Ukrainian government was a corrupt, inept mess.  They gotta show progress before they get in.  

That said, EU membership won't change things right now.  It won't help them win the war.

This is just a recollection from my time living in Slovakia while they were working towards full EU membership. They were finally admitted in 2010. One of the biggest hangups they had was lack of control of their eastern border. Sadly and ironically, the one with Ukraine.

My post wasn't directed to anyone specifically.  There have been several posts made with minimal critical thinking, including by me.  I am starting to slow down and look more closely at clips from Ukraine with a more deliberate eye and remembering my training.  So, if you see someone standing in the open and not receiving fire, or the person holding the camera is in the open and not receiving fire, it's not combat footage.  If you see a missile hit a tank or APC and there are no secondary explosions, the shot didn't penetrate the armor, and the vehicle isn't destroyed.  And if the shooter is posing for trophy shots, it isn't combat.  Not saying they didn't go ahead and finish the job, but the RPGs didn't finish them.

Yeah that footage of the RPG seemed a little suspect. But Ukraine needs to do what it can to motive it’s people, fighters.

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The “what was promised” debates are so fucking tiresome.  They are for diplomatic historians and completely irrelevant to now because NOTHING WAS SIGNED.

I saw a pic on Facebook of Madeline Albright and Vladimir Putin engaged in a very sincere pinky promise.

5 minutes ago, MillerEP said:
^If this is true, then this is much more favorable terms than they've been touting publicly. Lavrov has publicly been saying they want to take out the drug-addicted nazis at the leadership, and completely demilitarize the country. Others have been saying they want the entire East of the Dnieper and all of the coastline to make Ukraine landlocked.

However, these negotiations are Zelensky can stay (even though he's supposedly a drug-addicted nazi? lol) and all we want now is Crimera, Donestsk and Luhansk and you to never join NATO or EU.

So either a) this is a ploy by Russia and they shouldn't believe a word of it, b) Russia sees this is hopeless and seeking to get something out of it to save face, or c) these backchannel convos we're getting are incorrect.

I don't think anything has changed in Russian demands. They're just wording it differently. They don't promise to withdraw. They don't promise non-aggression. They demand a territorial piece of Ukraine and want to put in place a way to take Zelensky's head when the int'l pressure on Russia  decreases.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Aren't these pretty much the terms Russia was "demanding" pre-war?

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, estimates now are the entire Russian military will be exhausted around 3 more weeks. They have yet to achieve any of their major goals despite having 95% of the massed troops now in country, and they know they'll need 3-4 times the troop numbers they have now to completely occupy the region, which will turn into another yearlong conflict and insurgency, and they don't have the means to get those troops. So it's looking more and more likely that a negotiated peace is the most likely way forward if they want to save any face. I think that's why you're seeing the uptick in night ops and increased shelling/bombing. They're hoping to get something out of it from a position of strength, and the bombing of innocents might entice the Ukrainians to agree to something quick. (just my opinion)

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Nope. Not the CIA. Trust us.

I haven't been able to follow as closely, for real, who is driving the increased night fighting?  Russia?  I thought they had subpar night capabilities, it seemed so the first week or so.  or is it Ukraine stepping it up?  @atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

At what point does this cross a line that warrants an actual response from a country not involved? Merchant ships journalists etc 

Still in “Strongly worded letter” territory

If they beheaded him on video then we might have some sort of “Angry words said on the TV to Russia’

If they crossed the boarder a little and killed anybody on another territory then you’d get “‘’Reallly Angry words and  maybe some threats”

Things could possibly escalate from there but not before Russia is given diplomatic options

Just now, Chopper said:

It's just so incredibly fucked up how far Russia has penetrated western democracy. Let's hope the shit is permanently flowing back toward Moscow.

If you're an F1 fan, hearing Nikita Mazepin speak for the first time catches you off-guard. He's Russian, but speaks with an English accent.

59 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yea, if anything it’s even worse for their EU membership now that they are losing infrastructure and facing huge rebuild bills. The EU doesn’t want to add to PIIGS. It’s probably another reason Russia turned to bombing the shit out of cities.  

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

at least the lockheed/raytheon/northrops of the world get the military money from our side, instead of some dude sunbathing in the urals.  the quality of each side's arms is pretty stark.

And credit where it's due.  After teething problems, most of their stuff kicks ass.  Very expensive, but so what.

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's just so incredibly fucked up how far Russia has penetrated western democracy. Let's hope the shit is permanently flowing back toward Moscow.

“Penetrated” is a strong word. America is for sale and as kids go all in on desperately trying to sell out; people like the Saudis, Russians, Chinese and Brits don’t have to do shit. They just pull up in their Maybach and people will fall over themselves to load up all the pieces of our country they’ve purchased into the trunk for a $20 tip.

Im all for capitalism so long as the population holds some things as more valuable than money.

• Hook 'Em 1