Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

The bad and good thing about panic among poorly trained and/or motivated troops being routed, is that it’s contagious as hell.

All those scenarios about what Putin would do if he started losing Crimea or Donetsk are about to come into play.  If Ukraine clears out a lot of those areas around Kharkiv, that will actually shorten the front that Ukraine is attacking on, as well as reduce the amount of troops needed, and shorten supply lines.

The fact that Putin is pretending in public that nothing bad is happening is really fucking stupid, because when things really start to collapse, it could happen so fast that one night he’s saying things are fine, the next Russia has lost most of one of the territories it claims.

Its like somebody’s wife telling them they are not pregnant, and then the next night when they come home, she’s 6 months pregnant and picking out stuff for the baby register.

Oh No Fire GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The bad and good thing about panic among poorly trained and/or motivated troops being routed, is that it’s contagious as hell.

All those scenarios about what Putin would do if he started losing Crimea or Donetsk are about to come into play.  If Ukraine clears out a lot of those areas around Kharkiv, that will actually shorten the front that Ukraine is attacking on, as well as reduce the amount of troops needed, and shorten supply lines.

The fact that Putin is pretending in public that nothing bad is happening is really fucking stupid, because when things really start to collapse, it could happen so fast that one night he’s saying things are fine, the next Russia has lost most of one of the territories it claims.

Its like somebody’s wife telling them they are not pregnant, and then the next night when they come home, she’s 6 months pregnant and picking out stuff for the baby register.

Oh No Fire GIF

He will just stop talking about it.  So will everyone else.  It'll go down the memory hole and everyone will pretend like it never happened.  No matter what the tombstones in the graveyards say.

image.thumb.png.320a4f2a26d65e3c55801effa77eab54.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It feels like they are taking huge swaths of land from reading tweets, then you see all that red on the maps and understand how much more there is to go, presumably with Russian forces being concentrated as they retreat. 

Well, chances are extremely good that Russia doesn’t actually control large chunks of the red, but rather the roads, crossings, and villages.  Russians have far less than 200,000 troops in Ukraine, with maybe a third or even a quarter actually doing infantry-style fighting (rest are logistics, medical, support, artillery), and most of those fighting are going to be concentrated in loose clusters of 30-100 or so, around the roads and villages (staying near command and control or logistics hubs).

That %66-75 that are not infantry are going to flee and not put up a fight.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, chances are extremely good that Russia doesn’t actually control large chunks of the red, but rather the roads, crossings, and villages.  Russians have far less than 200,000 troops in Ukraine, with maybe a third or even a quarter actually doing infantry-style fighting (rest are logistics, medical, support, artillery), and most of those fighting are going to be concentrated in loose clusters of 30-100 or so, around the roads and villages (staying near command and control or logistics hubs).

That %66-75 that are not infantry are going to flee and not put up a fight.

image.png.f168f66c749da2aae9c5b25016dac63d.png

Drawing a front line using liveuamap.com to eyeball it, and using this as a source (as of August 31) saying the Russians control about 50,000 square miles.

Using a calculated value of 1/3 of 200,000, you get 67,000 combat troops on that 535 mile front for about 125 Rascists per mile along the front. That translates to about 1 Russian troop responsible for defending 42 feet. Then, you've got another 2.5 to 3.0 per square mile of support troops covering the rest of occupied territory.

I don't know if this is good or bad, just showing the maths.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It feels like they are taking huge swaths of land from reading tweets, then you see all that red on the maps and understand how much more there is to go, presumably with Russian forces being concentrated as they retreat. 

Most of this is cultivated farmland, with small/tiny villages scattered here and there. No place to run and no place to hide. Eyes are everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Oh BOO FUCKING HOO GO HOME IVAN

I know of a super-quick super-simple solution for Russia to stop the flow of Western weapons to Ukraine.  Let's see if Ivan can guess what that might be?

Note-- this miracle cure could also result in the relatively quick lifting of sanctions!  (provided Russia meets a few other important criteria, of course)

Just let us know when you're ready for the super-quick super-simple solution, Ivan.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 686 said:

SIAP. We trained the UA guys that Harpooned the Moscow. I mean we are just pantsing Putin. Our military has an incredible capability when we’re going up against a 20th century opponent and not trying to stop goat herders from stoning each other.

Moskva sank in April, presumably by Neptune missiles, not Harpoons. This must be referencing a different ship. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 686 said:

SIAP. We trained the UA guys that Harpooned the Moscow. I mean we are just pantsing Putin. Our military has an incredible capability when we’re going up against a 20th century opponent and not trying to stop goat herders from stoning each other.

We do have to give the goat herders, rice farmers etc some credit here, they can be very formidable opponents when defending their turf (the terrain helps) but they are quite good and guerrilla combat . 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We do have to give the goat herders, rice farmers etc some credit here, they can be very formidable opponents when defending their turf (the terrain helps) but they are quite good and guerrilla combat . 

Yes they are very good on their turf, and when they want to kill each other, it’s really damn hard to stop it. We used to get some grief because we didn’t go into Rwanda when they were doing their ethnic cleansing, but to paraphrase one of our officials at the time “our military isn’t designed to stop one guy with a machete from killing another guy”. I.e the extreme asymmetry eliminates our advantages, we literally have to have guys standing guard everywhere with rifles to stop that, which isn’t what we’re setup to do.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 686 said:

we literally have to have guys standing guard everywhere with rifles to stop that, which isn’t what we’re setup to do.

We sort of already do that at macro level vs micro level by deploying carriers around the world etc. We are essentially saying, I wish a motherfucker would.  
It prevents a lot of conflict by just showing what we can do. We can’t stop all conflicts but do a pretty good job in a lot of them.

Prime reason is in the balkans, they know if someone starts shit, they getting bombed…

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

The man in the black pajamas, Dude. Worthy fuckin' adversary.

- Walter Sobchak

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 686 said:

Yes they are very good on their turf, and when they want to kill each other, it’s really damn hard to stop it. We used to get some grief because we didn’t go into Rwanda when they were doing their ethnic cleansing, but to paraphrase one of our officials at the time “our military isn’t designed to stop one guy with a machete from killing another guy”. I.e the extreme asymmetry eliminates our advantages, we literally have to have guys standing guard everywhere with rifles to stop that, which isn’t what we’re setup to do.

Well that, and unlike Russia, we don’t resort to indiscriminately leveling civilian infrastructure and mass exportation of citizens as our modus operandi.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Well that, and unlike Russia, we don’t resort to indiscriminately leveling civilian infrastructure and mass exportation of citizens as our modus operandi.  

Back when we were out of patience in asymmetric wars with Stone Age nations we did. We’re still reconciling it. We at least as a nation have regrets and can own the fact that mistakes were made and we can learn from them and try not to repeat and advise others not to go down that road. Russia doesn’t give a shit and has
no moral barometer or ethical floor.

c0afeb80c0b648de3fd8f73aad59b7e2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, 686 said:

Back when we were out of patience in asymmetric wars with Stone Age nations we did. We’re still reconciling it. We at least as a nation have regrets and can own the fact that mistakes were made and we can learn from them and try not to repeat and advise others not to go down that road. Russia doesn’t give a shit and has
no moral barometer or ethical floor.

c0afeb80c0b648de3fd8f73aad59b7e2.jpg

I was speaking of more modern times.  

I went back and dropped pos rep on random posts until I ran out.  This thread represents the BEST of Surly Horns.  We have insight, levity, humor and hope.  I love every single one of you.

Next Surly tailgate I'm bringing a truckload of Skyline Chili and Busch Light.  You guys deserve it.

Horns up, motherfuckers.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I was speaking of more modern times.  

Yes, I’ve been trying to remember who said it a week or so ago on twitter that the US isn’t willing to commit genocide anymore, even if it means “losing” a war, which is a differentiator between us and Russia, China, etc. I think that’s a huge reason we’ve pushed our military sophistication so far, not only do we want our guys to come home safe, we want to be able to overwhelm adversaries quickly and avoid the protracted meatgrinders that reflect negatively on us globally and lose political support at home. Powell Doctrine vs. Westmoreland’s attrition warfare. Sun Tzu knew it a long time ago: “in warfare, keeping a nation intact is best, destroying a nation second best…Therefore, to achieve a hundred victories in a hundred battles is not the highest excellence; to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence.”
  • Hook 'Em 3