Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Of the Ukrainians do pull of any significant encirclements and end up with 10,000 or more captive Russians what do they do with them?

First, post pics of them looking dirty and defeated.  Let them bathe, give them fresh clothes and good food.  Then post pics of them enjoying it on every Russian social media site available. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I agree with that to some extent - I have plenty of relatives and friends who have no idea about recent Ukrainian successes, but it was irritating that just 10 or 20 posts above his comment, it was clear shit was going down and Ukraine was fucking up Russia.

It’s really not clear though. There’s a ton of speculation on social media about Russian losses and personally I got worn out sifting through it a while ago. The WaPo article I linked has accounts of 5 UA casualties for every RU in Kherson, so I’m going to go with cautious optimism until we get more verified details. I obviously get what you’re saying, but at the same time all the memes and humor can sometimes obfuscate the situation - June was a absolutely bleak, for example, but if you read this thread and this Rolling Stone account of the Luhansk front you’d think you were reading about two different conflicts. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

It’s really not clear though. There’s a ton of speculation on social media about Russian losses and personally I got worn out sifting through it a while ago. The WaPo article I linked has accounts of 5 UA casualties for every RU in Kherson, so I’m going to go with cautious optimism until we get more verified details. I obviously get what you’re saying, but at the same time all the memes and humor can sometimes obfuscate the situation - June was a absolutely bleak, for example, but if you read this thread and this Rolling Stone account of the Luhansk front you’d think you were reading about two different conflicts. 

The Russians stacked the Kherson front defenses and have multiple layers. The Kharkiv front is lightly defended. Once they got past the first line there wasn't much in the way of reserves to fight.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

You literally came in and said it during the biggest counter-offensive of the war, so some of us were a little leery of the timing.  It is hard to put in perspective just how big these counter-offensives are, and how bad Russians are being hammered in Ukraine.

And Russia was caught completely off guard by the counteroffensive in Kharkiv.   Penetrating Russian lines up to 30 miles in less than a day is insane  

This is kind of how those of us needing out over this feel:

• Haha 6

With the leak that the Russians have lost 50,000 dead, which is really close to the Ukrainian estimates, that also indicates that the Ukrainian estimate that the Russian Army has lost 2,000 tanks may not be off base.

And if that's correct, then the Russian Army has only about 1,300 tanks left.  That's not enough to conquer Ukraine.  Shit--it's almost certainly not enough to defend Russia were it to be attacked by NATO or China.

And that raises a real question in my mind.  Russia has a lot of enemies on its borders (primarily as a result of its own behavior).  How long is it going to take Georgia to decide that now is the time to retake Abkhazia and South Ossetia?  When are the Azerbaijanis going to decide they need to put the hurt back on the Armenians?

And for that matter, if the Poles want to seize Belarus as a bit of recompense for 1939, then there's not a goddamned thing the Russians could do to prevent it right now.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And if that's correct, then the Russian Army has only about 1,300 tanks left.  That's not enough to conquer Ukraine.  Shit--it's almost certainly not enough to defend Russia were it to be attacked by NATO or China.

or to keep potential breakaway republics from leaving...

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You literally came in and said it during the biggest counter-offensive of the war, so some of us were a little leery of the timing.  It is hard to put in perspective just how big these counter-offensives are, and how bad Russians are being hammered in Ukraine.

And Russia was caught completely off guard by the counteroffensive in Kharkiv.   Penetrating Russian lines up to 30 miles in less than a day is insane  

This is kind of how those of us needing out over this feel:

To be clear, I’m not the guy who dropped in and asked if it was a stalemate. I just said that wasn’t a dumb question if you follow major news outlets because their reporting lags as they verify - certainly you’re not arguing against not believing everything you read?

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

To be clear, I’m not the guy who dropped in and asked if it was a stalemate. I just said that wasn’t a dumb question if you follow major news outlets because their reporting lags as they verify - certainly you’re not arguing against not believing everything you read?

Sorry, mistook you for him,  thread is moving fast.  It’s going to be complicated for a lot of people who do get their news through the major outlets, since the next two weeks will be devoted to Queen Elizabeth.

Obviously you shouldn’t believe everything you read, because the Russian government is trying to muddy the waters as much as they can on social media, not helped by some supporting Ukraine doing the same thing, just pro-Ukraine, although they get policed by others supporting Ukraine.

I can only imagine how bad it would be without NAFO, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So anyone with a better memory than me, what’s the tactical significance of balakiya again? It somewhat makes Izyum look probably. And Izyum has other strategic relevance. 

Russian held town with what the Russians believed were strong defenses. The Ukrainians took it and are now half way to Kupyansk. That would cut the major supply line to Izyum.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

It wasn’t that stupid of a question. I really just limit myself to NYT, BBC, etc. They’ve been fairly quiet on counteroffensive coverage so far given the difficulty to verify anything, but early reports (like this incredible reporting from WaPo) indicate costly but measured progress, not a mass routing back to Moscow. And the two months before the offensive were certainly described as a stalemate. I don’t think people casually following this are picking up on the potential developments from Twitter. 

It's probably too early to tell, but the assessment in that story seems...slanted.  The units having success and capturing Russians aren't the ones that are going to get interviewed by WaPo in the hospital.  War is hell, but it's more hellacious for Russia right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

With the leak that the Russians have lost 50,000 dead, which is really close to the Ukrainian estimates, that also indicates that the Ukrainian estimate that the Russian Army has lost 2,000 tanks may not be off base.

And that raises a real question in my mind.  Russia has a lot of enemies on its borders (primarily as a result of its own behavior).  How long is it going to take Georgia to decide that now is the time to retake Abkhazia and South Ossetia?  When are the Azerbaijanis going to decide they need to put the hurt back on the Armenians?

And for that matter, if the Poles want to seize Belarus as a bit of recompense for 1939, then there's not a goddamned thing the Russians could do to prevent it right now.

The map of Europe just doesn’t like to be mostly static for 75 years.  Dynamic activity will be introduced by someone.  In recent history, russia tends to be involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This would be pretty disastrous for the Kharkiv front for the RU. Way way worse than people really give it credence. This is something that could potentially collapse a huge chunk of this front due to natural geography.

Kupyansk sits on the north end of a major geographical barrier and everything going south to Oskil on the western bank is essentially an elevated ridge. Take Kupyansk and in effect, Izium is now in a pocket with artillery firing positions that can easily hit the main supply route to the east the supplies most of the front. As an added bonus, the ridge helps seal that part of a defensive front and makes it easier to just push north to the border and envelope west to now put additional pressure on the fighting in the north of Kharkiv.

Take Kupyansk and it provides you a pivot point to both trap the units in Izium (unless they start pulling out now west through Oskil) and then the same towards northen Kharkiv.

The ridge on the west side of the Oskil river provides a great defensive postion and allows the UKA to mass troops on a shorter front to keep pushing to close the various pockets.

Are you even there, bro?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Thank you all for your passion and continued input into the most important event in my lifetime.  Ukraine standing toe to toe with Russia, and repeatedly pushing their shit is in inflection point in the history of the world.  Selfishly, for the US and the free world, it doesn't get any better. Ukraine, with our our substantial, and increasing support, is doing all of the heavy lifting while we cheer them on. God Bless Ukraine!!!  
Surly, you rock! The amount of information from all the postings and links takes more time to read & digest than most people are awake every day. 

Donny, who wandered into the middle of a hurricane, ..., sorry, dude. It is hard to boil down the last 6 months into a short answer on the present status.  When progress is measured by tiny towns that Google Maps doesn't recognize, 10 miles from small towns nobody has ever heard of, 100 miles from any city that at best is vaguely familiar, it's hard to put the puzzle pieces together to make a picture that you don't even know what it looks like.

If one was left to make sense from only the mainstream media, I don't think that's possible.  The educations, life experiences and backgrounds you have meld into a combination of factual information and insight that is unique and enlightening.  Ironic that it's hosted on a college football message platform, where those same inputs lead to such drastic outputs.

I'm glad I played Risk as teen, and more glad that I played it with my kids.  If you know nothing of history, the game teaches you of the pitfalls of attacking asia.  

How a beaten Russia comes out of this, and what scorched earth they inflict along the way, are hard things to project. That is where we, and Ukraine, end up.

Onward, thru the fog!

YARN | You Use Your Tongue Prettier Than A $20 Whore | Blazing Saddles  (1974) | Video clips by quotes | a87d77eb | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Thank you all for your passion and continued input into the most important event in my lifetime.  Ukraine standing toe to toe with Russia, and repeatedly pushing their shit is in inflection point in the history of the world.  Selfishly, for the US and the free world, it doesn't get any better. Ukraine, with our our substantial, and increasing support, is doing all of the heavy lifting while we cheer them on. God Bless Ukraine!!!  
Surly, you rock! The amount of information from all the postings and links takes more time to read & digest than most people are awake every day. 

Donny, who wandered into the middle of a hurricane, ..., sorry, dude. It is hard to boil down the last 6 months into a short answer on the present status.  When progress is measured by tiny towns that Google Maps doesn't recognize, 10 miles from small towns nobody has ever heard of, 100 miles from any city that at best is vaguely familiar, it's hard to put the puzzle pieces together to make a picture that you don't even know what it looks like.

If one was left to make sense from only the mainstream media, I don't think that's possible.  The educations, life experiences and backgrounds you have meld into a combination of factual information and insight that is unique and enlightening.  Ironic that it's hosted on a college football message platform, where those same inputs lead to such drastic outputs.

I'm glad I played Risk as teen, and more glad that I played it with my kids.  If you know nothing of history, the game teaches you of the pitfalls of attacking asia.  

How a beaten Russia comes out of this, and what scorched earth they inflict along the way, are hard things to project. That is where we, and Ukraine, end up.

Onward, thru the fog!

Lots of countries with long memories would be willing to take a chunk out of Russia, and the one that scares me the most would be a north and western expansion by China.

Weakened older power that has lost a vast amount of armor and has shifted all of their equipment and reserves west, check. Currently seeing internal strife and need a scapegoat, check. Acquisition of natural resources as we move towards greater dependence on rare earth metals, check.

The nuclear deterrence may or may not be real, but the opportunity and motivation exist.

4 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Lots of countries with long memories would be willing to take a chunk out of Russia, and the one that scares me the most would be a north and western expansion by China.

Weakened older power that has lost a vast amount of armor and has shifted all of their equipment and reserves west, check. Currently seeing internal strife and need a scapegoat, check. Acquisition of natural resources as we move towards greater dependence on rare earth metals, check.

The nuclear deterrence may or may not be real, but the opportunity and motivation exist.

yeah, a country with a billion people has a lot of reasons and a lot of ability to expand

Someone gonna find about gravity through some windows soon, sad but it’s coming 

The quote says these are opposition politicians, will be interesting if they get the Navalny treatment or not.

I mean Putin made it public several times that he was personally running this operation right? Somebody is going to take the fall for 50k+ dead and a complete gutting of Russian military material stores/vehicles that took 50 years to amass. Especially if nothing or very little ends up being gained.

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Of the Ukrainians do pull of any significant encirclements and end up with 10,000 or more captive Russians what do they do with them?

Put them in an arena and start the Hunger games. Or squid games.

Actually I mentioned earlier that Ukraine should announce they only have capacity for 500 POWs, and let the Russians fight it out amongst themselves. That way Ukraine won't be on the hook for inhumane conditions.

/kinda serious

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

nuclear explosion GIF

Is how that would end. Russia would absolutely use nukes to discourage invasion of their territory 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Dig a large trench to put all of them in.  Show a documentary of the Katyn Massacre to the invited heavily armed Polish guests.   Plug in noise cancelling headphones and watch the sunrise.