Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

• She should not have dressed like that or been so pretty
  • It only got worse when she danced with another guy at the party
  • She really wanted it in spite of fighting back and scratching out my eye, she's always wanted it
  • She would not have a broken arm or lost her front tooth if she had just laid back and tried to enjoy it
  • Now she is pregnant, she should just marry me and make me a sandwich, who else would want that whore

Elon?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hint: when your populist propaganda aired to your people to talk about how awesome you are shows flat-out murderous war crimes.....you are no longer fit to be a nation, in any way, shape, or form.  

Imagine German TV in 1944 gleefully showing video of "look what we're doing, and how awesome we are!" and showed images like this:

Q-Sum19-Buchenwald-14.jpg

...AND THEY SAID THAT WITH GLEE AND THE GERMAN PEOPLE SMILED.  At least the German people had the decency to KNOW that what was happening at the camps was a horror, and they should look away.

Here, it's on fucking nightly TV, as a celebration.  How do you even respond to that?  What can you work towards OTHER than the destruction of an entire NATION that thinks and behaves this way?  How do you EVER redeem that?  You don't.  Do with that what you will.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Given that they dropped well over half-a-billion dollars in missiles that they can’t replace on Ukraine yesterday, either Putin went full Hitler during the Blitz and was lashing out in anger, or he’s deciding the war is lost and there is no use in supporting his troops anymore.  Or both.

Interesting comment on the audience of the Kremlin mouthpieces.  A few weeks ago, there was talk about how little younger and urban Russians watch the state TV shows, and that it’s geared towards a more receptive audience   We will see the proof during the next round or two of mobilization, as well as the overall situation in the coming months.  Basically, while the Russians can’t mount a true offensive now, within the next 2-3 months, their ability to mount a defense will be totally gone as Ukraine puts all rail systems outside of the Kerch bridge, under barrel artillery.  More demands will be made of the Russian public.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

The only book that has induced the same reaction off the top of my head was the Rape of Nanking.

Or, as the Russians would call it "Love Story."

You are seeing the worst "civilization" in modern history laid bare, proudly owning its horrifying character.  Again, at least the Germans had the decency to deny, to look away.  Russia....celebrates every war crime imaginable.

Shit, at this point, I can't see how this world makes it without a Russian-driven nuclear holocaust.  If there's one nation, one culture that has a dead aim on exterminating all of humanity just because, it's Russia.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

So I’ll put this review in the book nerd thread too, but I read One Soldier’s War by Babchenko over the past week and it’s a horrible read.  Not in the sense that war is horrible, because that is known and has been brilliantly described in books like Storm of Steel, The Face of Battle, All Quiet, with the old breed, etc.  It made me physically sick reading the book.  Torturing soldiers ( that’s not fucking hazing), killing and eating dogs multiple times, stealing anything they could, literally allowing themselves to get sick, drinking contaminated water, you name it, if it’s disgusting and depraved they’re doing it.

I can’t recommend the book as I kind of wish I hadn’t read it.  It is that awful.  The only book that has induced the same reaction off the top of my head was the Rape of Nanking.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here, it's on fucking nightly TV, as a celebration.  How do you even respond to that?  What can you work towards OTHER than the destruction of an entire NATION that thinks and behaves this way?  How do you EVER redeem that?  You don't.  Do with that what you will.

I mentioned it above, and Julia Davis talked about it a while back,  but the audience of the nightly state TV shows is pro-Putin at this point.  Younger and better-connected/urban folks are watching their streaming services or doing social media shit.

Whether they are trying to tune out the propaganda because they don’t want to be reminded of mobilization, or don’t believe the propaganda is up for debate a bit, but when you watch the Russian YouTubers who fled Russia, it’s clear that they recognized the state TV stuff as propaganda.

I hope Davis and others are putting together books or papers or something on how the narratives have shifted from liberating their Russian brothers and sisters by another name to outright extermination and deliberately hitting civilian targets and boasting about how they want the Ukrainians to fear them.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I mentioned it above, and Julia Davis talked about it a while back,  but the audience of the nightly state TV shows is pro-Putin at this point.  Younger and better-connected/urban folks are watching their streaming services or doing social media shit.

Whether they are trying to tune out the propaganda because they don’t want to be reminded of mobilization, or don’t believe the propaganda is up for debate a bit, but when you watch the Russian YouTubers who fled Russia, it’s clear that they recognized the state TV stuff as propaganda.

I hope Davis and others are putting together books or papers or something on how the narratives have shifted from liberating their Russian brothers and sisters by another name to outright extermination and deliberately hitting civilian targets and boasting about how they want the Ukrainians to fear them.

And the vast majority of Russia acquiesces.  They own this.  This is their country, fighting their war, their way.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And Musk pushes this agenda.  We can pretty much lock up the "worst negotiator in the history of humanity" award, and just hand it to Elon for his "give the bad guy literally everything he has ever demanded and call it a win" approach. 

I wouldn't let Elon negotiate on my behalf for a fucking used CD at a mexican flea market.  Fucker would have me trading my house for it.

He's basically Ellis from Die Hard negotiating with Hans.  Let's see if it works out any better for him.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

So I’ll put this review in the book nerd thread too, but I read One Soldier’s War by Babchenko over the past week and it’s a horrible read.  Not in the sense that war is horrible, because that is known and has been brilliantly described in books like Storm of Steel, The Face of Battle, All Quiet, with the old breed, etc.  It made me physically sick reading the book.  Torturing soldiers ( that’s not fucking hazing), killing and eating dogs multiple times, stealing anything they could, literally allowing themselves to get sick, drinking contaminated water, you name it, if it’s disgusting and depraved they’re doing it.

I can’t recommend the book as I kind of wish I hadn’t read it.  It is that awful.  The only book that has induced the same reaction off the top of my head was the Rape of Nanking.

All those videos of drunken Russians fighting that were popular years ago, turned out to be far closer to the reality of a lot of Russians than we thought, at least the Russians who aren’t able to bribe their way out of conscription or mobilization..

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hint: when your populist propaganda aired to your people to talk about how awesome you are shows flat-out murderous war crimes.....you are no longer fit to be a nation, in any way, shape, or form.  

Imagine German TV in 1944 gleefully showing video of "look what we're doing, and how awesome we are!" and showed images like this:

...AND THEY SAID THAT WITH GLEE AND THE GERMAN PEOPLE SMILED.  At least the German people had the decency to KNOW that what was happening at the camps was a horror, and they should look away.

You should spoiler that image (it is horrific but not everyone needs to see it).  Earlier in the year they were pro-genocide, then they attempted to walk it back as the Russian military was getting its ass kicked.  Now they are back to being pro-genocide.  It seems they no longer fear the gallows should Putin fall.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Earlier in the year they were pro-genocide, then they attempted to walk it back as the Russian military was getting its ass kicked.  Now they are back to being pro-genocide.  It seems they no longer fear the gallows should Putin fall.  

It’s really fucking weird, like they’ve decided “fuck it, we know this is getting blasted all over Western media, we know it looks horrible, we are going to run with it” although they did make it a point yesterday that the new commanding general was now completely in control.  Maybe they’ve decided that is their defense - he’s fully in charge. 

The attitude with the media coverage has changed since the strike on the bridge.

24 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

First, we did not believe that the war was coming. I have to recognise that here, in Brussels, the Americans were telling us “They will attack, they will attack”, and we were quite reluctant to believe it.  And I remember very well when [US Secretary of State] Tony Blinken phoned me and told me “well, it is going to happen this weekend”. And certainly, two days later, at five o’clock in the morning, they started bombing Kyiv. We did not believe that this was going to happen, and we did not foresee that Ukraine was ready to resist as fiercely and as successfully as they are doing. Certainly, thanks to our military support. Without it, it would have been impossible, but they put some things from their part. 

We had not foreseen either the capacity of Putin to escalate [with regards to] the level of mass mobilisation and open nuclear threats. I suppose that all of you have been reading and re-reading the latest speech of Putin when he declared the annexation. That is a must. Every European citizen must read this speech – and you, in particular. You have to explain to the world what does it mean, what does this approach against the West mean, and which are the real reasons of this war. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s really fucking weird, like they’ve decided “fuck it, we know this is getting blasted all over Western media, we know it looks horrible, we are going to run with it” although they did make it a point yesterday that the new commanding general was now completely in control.  Maybe they’ve decided that is their defense - he’s fully in charge. 

The attitude with the media coverage has changed since the strike on the bridge.

I think they collectively feel they’re not going to have to pay for the war crimes/escalations. The civilian/infrastructure strikes are just one step. We strike back on their soil in the same fashion and I think that they will take it to the next step.   They’re going to escalate further than we will. So they’re being more brazen.

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

pbs love GIF by AntiquesRoadshow

I am curious if breaking their encryption on 80’s battlefield tech is something that that would rate as an undergrad computer science assignment at this point. 

That would be 30 to 40 year old encryption that stand no real chance against modern day systems. And better yet, this isn’t one of those things it’s so old nobody remembers it because these were in use in both Afghanistans and both Iraq actions. 

There are tons of these sitting around and as some else alluded to, most likely we have both the system, the full set of encryption keys, a dynamic scan and decode setup, and most likely even all the manufacturers specs and manuals sitting around somewhere (with a few dudes at Bragg that have even seen them recently)…

Is 40 year old comms better or worse than no comms at all? Is it worse to have to relay an initial set of orders and scripted responses and let the conscripts loose or give them comms that anyone can crack and triangulate their location.

Our troops, I know the answer due to superior training and ncos. With the Russians, I am not really sure what is worse.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Who abstained? Fuck them as well. 

This vote needs to happen and be public. Everyone needs to know who are the approximately 50 countries that will not stand up for Ukraine. 

Took a bit of googling & digging, but I found a Mint article on the vote that linked to this tweet, but the results don't line up exactly with the tweet you're reacting to.

FewebDRVsAEd43k?format=jpg&name=medium

So, I went to the UN General Assembly website and found a summary of the discussion but can't for the life of me figure out where to find the final vote results. I think that the original tweet was referring to the initial vote and my tweet is the rejection of the reconsideration, but I really don't know. At any rate, there's a bunch of non-voting countries that consider themselves part of the non-aligned nations...maybe.

The representatives of Albania and Ukraine took the floor to oppose the motion by the Russian Federation.

The representative of the Russian Federation disagreed with the President’s ruling saying that Rule 81 does not apply as there are two different proposals.  As the Russian Federation is proposing that Rule 87 B be suspended as a whole, Article 71 applies to his delegation’s proposal, he clarified.

Mr. KŐRÖSI said Rule 81 is applicable as the Russian Federation has challenged the President’s ruling that the proposal is a reconsideration of the earlier decision.  The Assembly rejected the appeal against the President’s ruling by a vote of 100 against to 14 in favour with 38 in abstention.  The Assembly upheld the President’s ruling.

The Assembly then rejected a reconsideration of its earlier decision by a vote of 104 against to 16 in favour, with 34 in abstention.

https://press.un.org/en/2022/ga12456.doc.htm

• Hook 'Em 3