Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s just a Moscow Mule with an extra shot added. 

Btw-that was just straight show biz right down the middle.  I’m stealing it and seeing if a bar wants to use it and give proceeds to a Ukrainian humanitarian charity if their choosing. As has happened in the past, surly saltiness had resulted in positive change IRL.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oof--that last one is tough.  For one thing, I'm not sure Estonia can do that as a practical matter.  And for another, I am certain that they can't do it legally.

The Estonians appear to be itching for a fight even more than the Poles.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Norway is fucking serious about the Russian threat.  Our exchange daughter mustered out of the Norwegian military early last year (she worked airbase security -- her job description, according to her: "hunting Russians").  She was planning on tagging along with my daughter to fly over here and see us over Christmas.  No-go - she got a notice from the Norwegian military that she needed to stay in-country, she's being placed on some sort of "ready reserve" status.  Same with all her peers.  If you mustered out of the military any time recently, don't go anywhere, we may be calling your asses up to fight.

Interesting that Norway and Estonia and others -- countries that may well end up having to fight Russia -- are shipping off their limited gear.  It's actually a smart decision: let Ukraine destroy Russia's ability to project power at all, and the other NATO/aligned countries also know that the US and the rest of NATO has their asses covered, at the very least through the air.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oof--that last one is tough.  For one thing, I'm not sure Estonia can do that as a practical matter.  And for another, I am certain that they can't do it legally.

I’ve posted before to be a bit careful of that account. Here’s the real story of what’s going on:

https://news.err.ee/1608853667/estonian-foreign-ministry-wants-to-extend-controlled-maritime-area

It’s under consideration and wouldn’t be a closure as much as a sanctions enforcement mechanism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

This is perhaps the most amazing thing to come out of this whole disaster.

Economically, Russia has one function on the globe: to be a mafia run gas station.

Now, it's just a mafia run.....place that can't sell much gas.  The ONE thing you had that provided big revenue, and you pissed away your #1 market.  And for what?  Shit, let's say Russia gets to keep what it holds today....it blew its economic future for a few square miles of Ukraine?  WTF?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I will say about every 6 weeks this kinda talk from Russia really ramps up.  And this week is no different, but it's also peak winter there and in Ukraine/Europe.  

But when your strategy to sell more gas to a region is to deploy tactical nuclear warheads barely down-wind from them...that's a weird selling point.  Why not offer like a free 6-pack or tin of copenhagen like my fueling station does?  Because that seems like the only military victory, which becomes an even more crippling financial defeat.  

Hey Lobo, we noticed by your rewards card, you haven't been into our station lately to get gas?  Would you be more incentivized or less incentivized to come back to us if we double your rewards points at the pump, offered you a free carwash with every fillup, or----and hear us out----poisoned the water table for 1000 years for your friends Crimea & Moldova?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I will say about every 6 weeks this kinda talk from Russia really ramps up.  And this week is no different, but it's also peak winter there and in Ukraine/Europe.  

But when your strategy to sell more gas to a region is to deploy tactical nuclear warheads barely down-wind from them...that's a weird selling point.  Why not offer like a free 6-pack or tin of copenhagen like my fueling station does?  Because that seems like the only military victory, which becomes an even more crippling financial defeat.  

Hey Lobo, we noticed by your rewards card, you haven't been into our station lately to get gas?  Would you be more incentivized or less incentivized to come back to us if we double your rewards points at the pump, offered you a free carwash with every fillup, or----and hear us out----poisoned the water table for 1000 years for your friends Crimea & Moldova?  

I don't know, I guess. Listen, I'm gonna go. It's been really nice talking to both of you guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Not the time to lose one's head.“

poor.gif

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is perhaps the most amazing thing to come out of this whole disaster.

Economically, Russia has one function on the globe: to be a mafia run gas station.

Now, it's just a mafia run.....place that can't sell much gas.  The ONE thing you had that provided big revenue, and you pissed away your #1 market.  And for what?  Shit, let's say Russia gets to keep what it holds today....it blew its economic future for a few square miles of Ukraine?  WTF?

And their weapons industry is now in the shitter, both because of sanctions, but also because everybody saw how shitty they perform on the battlefield.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

poor.gif

And their weapons industry is now in the shitter, both because of sanctions, but also because everybody saw how shitty they perform on the battlefield.

Yeah, if I was a Russian tank salesman, I gotta say, it's tough for me to make the pitch of "sure, they're shitty, and get blowed up by a schoolteacher with a javelin who had never even heard of a javelin until the weekend before, but look on the bright side - I probably can't get one delivered to you for at least 10 more years!"

Alternative pitch: "you think you hate it NOW.....wait till you get your ass blown to smithereens in one by a goatherder who just got his hands on a javelin the day before!"

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, if I was a Russian tank salesman, I gotta say, it's tough for me to make the pitch of "sure, they're shitty, and get blowed up by a schoolteacher with a javelin who had never even heard of a javelin until the weekend before, but look on the bright side - I probably can't get one delivered to you for at least 10 more years!"

I picture him like David Puddy selling cars.  

Russian Tank salesman: "Okay, so that's 50,000 rubles for camo paint."

Jerry: "It's already painted!" 

Russian Tank salesman: "Nope, it's yellow right now."

Jerry: "Why the fuck would you paint a tank yellow?"

Russian Tank salesman:  "Moving on.  That's 70,000 rubles for keys."

Jerry: "I gotta pay extra for the keys?"

Russian Tank salesman: "How you gonna start it?" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Long thread, part in the post above, part below, but worth a full read if you have the time.  Basically Wagner is finished as far as it or its leadership (Prigozhin) having any major influence going forward, and they will go back to being a subservient PMC of sorts.

I'm assuming Gerasimov has some top-notch bodyguards right about now, as Prigozhin and others can't be happy that he's riding in to take control over everything.  Be a shame if somebody leaked his coordinates and a HIMARS battery got a call.

An interesting section of a related ISW report (https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-january-22-2023)  whose details I haven't seen discussed elsewhere:

Spoiler

Putin’s decision to focus and rely on conventional Russian forces is marginalizing the Wagner Group and the siloviki faction that nevertheless continues to contribute to Russian war efforts in Ukraine. The siloviki faction is a small group of Russian businessmen and leaders with meaningful power bases and parallel military companies and includes individuals such as Prigozhin. Putin’s resubordinating to Gerasimov the Commander of the Aerospace Forces, Surovikin, whose October 8 appointment received widespread support from the siloviki faction, reversed a months-long trend of Putin’s efforts to placate the siloviki.[6] Ukrainian intelligence had previously reported that Prigozhin formed an alliance with Surovikin that enabled Wanger Group to receive heavy weapons from the Russian Armed Forces and that the two together rivaled Shoigu.[7] Surovikin’s demotion has likely disrupted Prigozhin’s ability to exploit his connections within the Russian military command to the benefit of himself and Wagner.

Putin is also attempting to rebuild the Russian MoD’s authority and reputation, both of which had been badly damaged by failures in 2022 and heavily attacked by the siloviki faction for many months. Putin’s turnabout became most evident when he pointedly did not credit Prigozhin or his Wagner forces for the capture of Soledar during a federal TV interview on January 15.[8] The Russian MoD also originally did not recognize Wagner as a participant in the Battle for Soledar, only to vaguely acknowledge Wagner assault units in a follow-up announcement on January 13.[9] Prigozhin and his allies had been fighting to claim credit for gains around Bakhmut and the capture of Soledar for some time, making Putin’s decision to walk back Russian MoD’s acknowledgment of Wagner a major defeat for Prigozhin.[10] 

Putin may have felt threatened by Prigozhin’s rise and tactless self-assertion. Putin began to reintroduce himself as an involved wartime leader in December, ostentatiously meeting with his commanders and appearing with troops.[11]  Prigozhin did not take the hint, if hint it was, but instead redoubled his efforts to assert himself by advertising the superiority and successes of his own troops.[12] Kremlin Spokesperson Dmitry Peskov may have indirectly accused Prigozhin of deliberately fueling the conflict between the Russian MoD and Wagner in public on January 16, another shot across Prigozhin‘s bow.[13] Putin had also been increasingly integrating State Duma officials whom Prigozhin had been heavily courting, such as Deputy Chairman of the Federation Council Andrey Turchak, by appointing them to working groups aimed at addressing issues with mobilization among other things.[14]

Prigozhin's recent apparent fall from grace and influence likely reflects the real limitations on his actual power. US and UK intelligence estimated that Prigozhin has approximately 50,000 fighters in Ukraine, of whom 40,000 are convicts and 10,000 contractors.[26] Prigozhin has been relentlessly throwing his fighters into bloody assault operations around Bakhmut at a high cost, while Putin has been conserving and training at least a portion of the men he mobilized into conventional Russian Army units.[27] Wagner Group is also likely relying on the Russian MoD’s logistical support and maintenance functions for its aviation and heavy military equipment.[28] Wagner’s forces are suffering from a lack of basic administrative organs and structures that are preventing Wagner from becoming an effective parallel military structure.[29] Prigozhin had likely believed in his own exaggerated view of the quality and importance of his largely convict-based force and his ability to outperform Russia’s conventional military, as well as his prospects of securing a spot in power nearer Putin. Certainly, his rhetoric and self-presentation had become overbearing and ostentatiously swaggering until things began to go south for him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just saying--if I were Yevgheny Prigozhin, I think I'd say away from any windows for the time being.  Perhaps just hang out in basements for a while.  Or maybe stay on ground floors.

No.  Basements.  That's it.  

The Poles may tell you basements aren't a good place to hide from Russians either.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The Poles may tell you basements aren't a good place to hide from Russians either.

First problem being, you're fighting in a fucking basement! /Lt.Raine 

Also, I've spoken with Rochelle Rochelle.  And she's totally down to ride to Minsk.  

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Baltic states and Poland had a pretty similar course in WWII.  Not a big surprise they want to slit russian throats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just saying--if I were Yevgheny Prigozhin, I think I'd say away from any windows for the time being.  Perhaps just hang out in basements for a while.  Or maybe stay on ground floors.

No.  Basements.  That's it.  

I hope Prigozhin does stick to basements. So many Russians dying falling out elevated windows. It's kind of played out. 

I want to see one of them die falling up through a basement window. 

• Hook 'Em 3

From Telegram

In Ukraine’s Kyiv region, 86% of schools and kindergartens now have bomb shelters, the head of that region said on Telegram Monday. “A total of 1,085 shelters have already been set up in educational facilities in Kyiv region,” said Oleksiy Kuleba, head of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration.

“That's 86% of the region's schools and kindergartens that can operate in full-time or mixed formats,” Kuleba added.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1