Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

"You guys wasted a 15k rocket on one dude?" 

"Yeah but he was 'high-value'" 

"Oh yeah? What was his name?" 

"Uh....... Leeroy? Yeah Leeroy Jennnnnkinnnnss" 

It's high value because think of the propaganda value.   If this makes the rounds to places like Russia, people start thinking "Wait, Ukraine can afford to shoot a $15,000 rocket at one dude?  Fuck, we're being issued rusty AKs and WWII era bolt action Mosin-Nagants."

• Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

1 marine artillery battalion in Syria used 35,000 rounds in five-months, or 230 rounds per day, and that's with just 18 guns.  Ukraine has well over 1,500 guns. And, in comparison, Russia has been firing 20,000 shells (or maybe a lot more) per day. 

I guess I just don't understand enough about artillery and how or why they are used this way.   It seems to remind me of volleyfire from the inline combat days.  

21 hours ago, Orange&White said:

From what I've gathered over the last 2-3 weeks is that the primary objective of the arty right now is to destroy russian arty and vehicles to soften up the front.

Are there reports on the success of this tactic on 'softening' resistance or how successful it is at destroying russian equipment?    It seems that the softening aspect seems relatively ambiguous. 

19 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I guess I just don't understand enough about artillery and how or why they are used this way.   It seems to remind me of volleyfire from the inline combat days.  

230 rounds a day with 18 guns = 13 shots per gun per day. They have a network of drones and other recon that call out targets w coordinates, and the closest artillery then fires. Precision shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

How hard is it to see a low-flying helo on radar?  Did Poland mess up?

It isn't that, it's that no one is launching an attack with 3 helicopters.  Due to that, a radar operator and supervisor are going to presume its some sort of accident and just as likely to be friendlies that have screwed up.  No one is just sitting there in area with no combat activity with a finger on a red button ready to fire.  Caution still rules the day in that scenario.  That having been said, I'm betting they are paying far greater attention now.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

The emergency contraception use may also be related to their boyfriends/husbands getting deployed and wanting to avoid an uncomfortable conversation about how the math don't work regarding when they got prego.  Lots of babies resembling the local milkman/mailman are gonna spontaneously appear in a few months. 

Sounds like a cool premise for the next Surly Happy Hour.

• Haha 2

230 rounds a day with 18 guns = 13 shots per gun per day. They have a network of drones and other recon that call out targets w coordinates, and the closest artillery then fires. Precision shit.

The math isn’t the issue. I guess I am more interested in kills/damage caused per round.

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The math isn’t the issue. I guess I am more interested in kills/damage caused per round.

Ignore my previous post - I missed "I guess" and read it as "I am more interested in kills/damage caused per round."

Ignore my previous post - I missed "I guess" and read it as "I am more interested in kills/damage caused per round."

Nah, it was funny. I suppose I am doing a shit attempt to communicate. I guess what I am wondering is how one defines success and precision and yet, its not like the otherside is going to help one calculate the effectiveness of each weapon system. So there will be a lot of gray area. But if artillery is used to clear safe paths through minefields as well as to harass trench diggers, those numbers/benefits would be hard to find/define as well.

Just curious.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Not a direct answer to your question, but the tweet that lead to the sniper rifle fundraiser said that something like 82% of casualties are from artillery, 15% from snipers, and 3% from small arms/infantry battles. This has been an artillery war, period. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Nah, it was funny. I suppose I am doing a shit attempt to communicate. I guess what I am wondering is how one defines success and precision and yet, its not like the otherside is going to help one calculate the effectiveness of each weapon system. So there will be a lot of gray area. But if artillery is used to clear safe paths through minefields as well as to harass trench diggers, those numbers/benefits would be hard to find/define as well.

Just curious.

It's not just about hitting targets. Artillery is also used to suppress the enemy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

No, I don't think I'll ever get over Buena Vista.

While living in Monterrey 60+ years ago, my Dad took us out to Angostura to see the battlefield in 1961, we also found - using vintage maps - the location of the burial ground for most of the American casualties within the Saltillo city limits. 
The majority of it was within a square block that had been turned into a garbage dump for decades. There were a lot of bones fragments embedded in the adobe wall that surrounded the “facility”. Whether or not they were the remains of US Army soldiers we had no idea.
Dad did some research and discovered that another American Army officer in the early 20th century had proposed a project to remove all the soil from that burial ground and ship it via railroad back to the US for proper reinterment of any remains found therein. 
Of course that plan was never approved.

• Hook 'Em 4