Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I get what you're saying. But here you make it sound like bragging.

It's also helpful to spend time on the thread. It doesn't take long to realize that InkaUtexas can be very humble, but he in fact knows quite a bit more than nearly all of the rest of us. It's not necessary to kiss his feet Rabban style, but if you're going to get into a factual argument with him, you'd best have an airtight understanding of exactly what you're saying. 

I have spent time on the thread. I just dont comment. I have only been to Ukraine. I have mentioned I have two friends fighting. I have donated and bought from Saint Javelin. The day they invaded my Marine buddy and I got some armor plates and a helmet and got it to him because he didnt even have that to fight with. I have been to Europe twice to see them while they took leave. I just dont have a ton of insight to contribute and stay quiet. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

If @MisterP wants to learn about Albania he should watch the Promise. It’s pretty good. Unfortunately it is about Armenia. 

Haha I deserve this. Very funny.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, statsman said:

Things are fucking dire right now. I am not saying a catastrophe is around the corner or inevitable. I am saying that one could happen. 

There are a lot of issues and western weapons deliveries are key to keeping it together. Force regeneration, though, is the immediate biggest problem. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

19 hours ago, MisterP said:

I am willing to take an L on the Tito thing. I am thinking of TItograd. Forgot that he was born in Croatia. Fuck it has been a long time since I have been in school.

Take a seat, Mr Beveridge.  

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I’d love to see a high fidelity accounting of KIA, broken down by regular Russian troops, Wagner, occupied Ukrainian irregulars and conscripts (forced to fight for Russia). 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, statsman said:

I’d love to see a high fidelity accounting of KIA, broken down by regular Russian troops, Wagner, occupied Ukrainian irregulars and conscripts (forced to fight for Russia). 

Me too. I have a feeling it's not the "real" Russians doing the dying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'm rooting for Merz. 

The message seems so obvious to me. It is very frustrating and depressing it's not quite as obvious to enough other people that we can't get the $60 billion package approved in Congress, and it seems like other than some kind of Hail Mary stratagem, it won't ever be approved until after the November election, and that's only if someone other than Trump wins the election. 

I can't even convince the people around me of its importance. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Me too. I have a feeling it's not the "real" Russians doing the dying. 

Maybe they’ll meat wave all the fighting age men in eastern Russia and China will send in their own “green men” into Siberia where the people will likely be receptive to different occupiers

• Hook 'Em 2

I think it would take a plea to the American people - some sort of a campaign to state its importance - and I fear by waiting years until election season to sell it - that it might ultimately be too late, if it ever did happen. 

It should have been a relative layup. Competing money for Israel wasn’t needed and the only other major foreign expense was border control. And the opposing party generally is pro military and anti-communism.

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm rooting for Merz. 

The message seems so obvious to me. It is very frustrating and depressing it's not quite as obvious to enough other people that we can't get the $60 billion package approved in Congress, and it seems like other than some kind of Hail Mary stratagem, it won't ever be approved until after the November election, and that's only if someone other than Trump wins the election. 

I can't even convince the people around me of its importance. 

I am seriously concerned about where Ukraine will be in November. And I also am concerned a serious battlefield setback will not jolt things loose.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Cannot express enough how much I dislike this Pope. We need more Polish popes. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/pope-says-ukraine-should-have-courage-white-flag-negotiations-2024-03-09/

"But I think that the strongest one is the one who looks at the situation, thinks about the people and has the courage of the white flag, and negotiates," Francis said, adding that talks should take place with the help of international powers.

"The word negotiate is a courageous word. When you see that you are defeated, that things are not going well, you have to have the courage to negotiate," Francis said.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 5

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am seriously concerned about where Ukraine will be in November. And I also am concerned a serious battlefield setback will not jolt things loose.  

Me too, it's agonizing :(

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This has really hardened me against a lot of people. I spend a lot of time angry and a lot of time sad, really sad in a way I can’t accurately explain.  I don’t engage on this topic for the most part in ordinary life because I realize I’ll come off as agitated at best and turn people off. It’s crazy making. 

I thought you lived overseas in a country that is more supportive of the war.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This has really hardened me against a lot of people. I spend a lot of time angry and a lot of time sad, really sad in a way I can’t accurately explain.  I don’t engage on this topic for the most part in ordinary life because I realize I’ll come off as agitated at best and turn people off. It’s crazy making. 

Same. A conservative non maga friend of mine just kept pressuring me for my opinion on things. I would try, but when he would parrot the idiotic talking points I would just lose my shit.

Edited by MissingInAction
Lose
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

More, similar to the Reuters link-

https://www.wsj.com/world/a-globe-trotting-youtube-influencer-led-indian-job-seekers-to-russias-war-db3af1b1?st=zkt5xfwip5rs8v1&reflink=mobilewebshare_permalink

Reading the article, these Indians believed they were taking jobs backfilling Russia security, in rear echelon positions, only to find themselves at the front. Two thoughts:

1. Even in America, kids need adults to tell them not to trust the recruiters, and to assume the worst. (My brother was promised by the USN that he would be trained in radio skills, only to be assigned to the engine room of one of the last diesel aircraft carriers)
2. It’s kind of a FAFO, except for the poor Ukrainians who really need to conserve their ammo for the Russians. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, I pretty much give people 30 seconds to blather anything short of a Hitler speech, and then if they act normal, I cut them some slack. If they are a true ranter, we're done.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Same. A conservative non maga friend of mine just kept pressuring me for my opinion on things. I would try, but when he would parrot the idiotic talking points I would just lose my shit.

Conservative non MAGA that’s anti Ukraine? Dude is MAGA in denial. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

i think (hope?) there are more of us than you think. It bummed me out when first Texas Honda in north Austin took down their Ukrainian flag. I used to love seeing it as I took the mopac to 183 flyover heading south. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

i think (hope?) there are more of us than you think. It bummed me out when first Texas Honda in north Austin took down their Ukrainian flag. I used to love seeing it as I took the mopac to 183 flyover heading south. 

Ahhhh man. I rarely venture out of South Austin (or his mom) but loved seeing that flag flying on Mopac when I did. Didn't know who was flying it. Sorry to hear it is gone.

There are a couple homes flying the grain and sky in my neighborhood.

God help anyone who tries to fly a Russian flag.

Edited by Walser
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, B00M said:

it baffles me that so much of the west can watch Christians pillaging Christians and think, “oh well, that’s life!”

To be fair, it's Orthodox on Orthodox fighting. It makes sense that the Roman Catholic Church would be all...

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, B00M said:

I think on this one that the American people are mostly in the right place.  More military and other aid is broadly popular. That’s why it’s so maddening to see the hold-up.

I can’t expect the whole country to be as laser focused as I believe we all should be given the stakes, I know that’s not realistic.  Kind of what I mean by trying not to come off as too agitated and strident for people who even are inclined to support it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

To be fair, it's Orthodox on Orthodox fighting. It makes sense that the Roman Catholic Church would be all...

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Most of Western Ukraine, where the national feeling is the strongest, is Greek Rite Catholic and answer to the pope though.  Another piece that makes this awful, it’s his own flock fighting for their country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I am a very political person, and am very disappointed to discover there really isn’t a party in the U.S. that advocates limited government, inalienable rights, free-ish markets, fiscal responsibility and national security- all ideas that seem reasonable and tested to me. I alternate between anger and relief (“not my monkey, not my circus” is liberating when confronted with idiocies from members of the party I used to claim). 

A lot of people would be on board with this. The issue is your second item on the list - inalienable rights. About 80% of our political battles lie in trying to define which rights are inalienable.

12 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

How about a short term plan to lose the war? A good start would be to not allow a vote on the floor of the House for $60 billion in military aid.

I genuinely appreciate McCaul as someone who has been consistent about his support for Ukraine. I've given up on Graham. He often says the right things regarding Ukraine, but he has the backbone of a jellyfish. 

I appreciate the wailing and gnashing of teeth of others on this thread. It's actually mildly cathartic. This is not some kind of hopeless cause, or a group of people who are looking for a hand out, It's a people deeply committed to some kind of democratic form of government - WAAAAAAAY more committed than many other members of Western civilization. I truly believe they could have won this thing if given consistent support with hand me down equipment that would have been FAR superior to what they faced on the battlefield, continuing a strong ongoing campaign to train units, and providing munitions (especially artillery shells) and a robust supply chain to support repair, maintenance, and replacement for donated equipment. The fact that the spigot has been cut off has been catastrophic, even against an incompetent enemy. 

I still think they can win. But it's hard to see what that path might be until US support is somehow restarted at a very high level. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

How many F16s are in Ukraine? What is the holdup?

Not many, or any, yet.  It takes time to train pilots to fly kickass American fighter jets when they've spent their entire careers in Russian shitboxes.  Imagine moving up to an F Tree Fiddy from an Lada.

• Hook 'Em 1