Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

People are wondering if we gave them existing GLSDB stocks and they are being used.  Would be cool.

I think that is what is happening, which is great.  Shooting an auto cannon at these would be a lot like me taking a sling shot, going down to the airport and trying to hit commercial jet liners.  I mean, I suppose it is possible to hit one, but extraordinarily remote.  

Maybe it’s because I’ve been swamped but it seems this war has been kinda quiet lately, now all this is happening. It genuinely feels like something’s coming to a head and not in Russias favor. Wouldn’t mind seeing Putin in a Saddam type hidey hole or in Guantanamo Bay.

F0868CB7-5652-4EA4-A31A-B02B61CBE8D1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I think that is what is happening, which is great.  Shooting an auto cannon at these would be a lot like me taking a sling shot, going down to the airport and trying to hit commercial jet liners.  I mean, I suppose it is possible to hit one, but extraordinarily remote.  

If you ever want to see how many different law enforcement agencies there are in Travis County, head over to Austin-Bergstrom, stand outside the fence, and try to hit aircraft with sling shot.  It's impressive the response you'll get.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you ever want to see how many different law enforcement agencies there are in Travis County, head over to Austin-Bergstrom, stand outside the fence, and try to hit aircraft with sling shot.  It's impressive the response you'll get.

I'll take your word for it.  I think you might wind up in Federal pound me in the ass prison for that one. 

That having been said, I was doing some math, presuming perfect conditions, you'd have a horizon line of approximately 13 miles to hit one of these.  I don't know how fast they fly, but I would guess at or above 300 mph.  The range of the auto cannon wouldn't be more than 5 miles, with a cyclic rate of around 700 rounds per minutes.  Even with those conditions, if my math is right, at best you'd have about 11 seconds to shoot it down, which is a fire window of 54ish rounds. That'd be one hell of a lucky shot, especially since you'd neither see it nor hear it until it was already gone.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Most likely ZU-23-2 air defense auto-cannon.  Which would sound much like the Bradley 20mm auto-cannon.  What's interesting is that they are apparently shooting air defense like this over several hundred kilometers.  I figured the Ukrainians would have a one year fuck you anniversary present for putin, hopefully this, whatever it is, is just the start.  (its glsdb, I think further cutting supply and bridgeheads that the ruskies thought were out of range).  Eat a big fat dick putin.  

I didn't see any tracers or simple heated rounds going into the sky. 

Maybe I'm blind. 

Either way, fuck Russia in the goatse.

Edited by MissingInAction

That having been said, I was doing some math, presuming perfect conditions, you'd have a horizon line of approximately 13 miles to hit one of these.  I don't know how fast they fly, but I would guess at or above 300 mph.  The range of the auto cannon wouldn't be more than 5 miles, with a cyclic rate of around 700 rounds per minutes.  Even with those conditions, if my math is right, at best you'd have about 11 seconds to shoot it down, which is a fire window of 54ish rounds.

8A39043F-0363-465F-98CD-225B46888417.jpeg.1bde6dba24acd6f7554478504c747d7d.jpeg

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Yep thats some frantic firing into the sky because New Years type shit.

I'll reserve my freedom boner for now until the armor arrives.

I've only got so many left.

Maybe we'll get lucky and its both glsdb's and Bradleys.  I might have to call my doctor for having a freedom boner that is lasting more than 4 hours.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Am I missing something on the Moldova thing - how can Russia fly troop transports/airliners through Ukrainian or Romanian airspace without getting shot down?

I have no doubt that Russia wants to fuck around in Moldova, but they are landlocked between Ukraine and Romania, and pretty sure Ukrainians would have fighters waiting for them, since we'd give them a major heads-up.

I bet you could find a few hundred volunteer “trainers” in Poland that would love to go help train Moldovan Security Services on those Javelins and Stingers they’re about to find sitting on the side of the road.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Yep thats some frantic firing into the sky because New Years type shit.

I'll reserve my freedom boner for now until the armor arrives.

I've only got so many left.

30 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and its both glsdb's and Bradleys.  I might have to call my doctor for having a freedom boner that is lasting more than 4 hours.  

I'm confused. What do y'all think the Bradleys are doing in Mariupol?

14 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I'm confused. What do y'all think the Bradleys are doing in Mariupol?

Based on the auto cannon fire he thought they might be Bradley's.  Given the locations, behind enemy lines, I thought the fire was russian air defense shooting at glsdb's.  It could be neither, it would nice if both were deployed and in operation near or in Mariupol.  That isn't what is going on.....yet.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Based on the auto cannon fire he thought they might be Bradley's.  Given the locations, behind enemy lines, I thought the fire was russian air defense shooting at glsdb's.  It could be neither, it would nice if both were deployed and in operation near or in Mariupol.  That isn't what is going on.....yet.  

ATACMS would be nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any guesses as to what China’s “peace plan” might look like? It will be interesting to see them try to wade into brokering this thing and likely faceplant. No way Ukraine agrees to any territory concessions now when it looks like the tide is getting ready to turn and they’ve got a couple hundred NATO MBTs, IFVs, etc etc on the way.

• Hook 'Em 1

So basically kills everything within a 12 foot radius?  Not a bad delivery system considering the height, weight, and frequency of launch.  Way Russians are packed right now, you can easily kill up to 50 infantry off one M270 walkabout?  Given proper sat positioning.  Seems fun.  And very energy efficient given the upcoming solstice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Blackhawks have been around since the 1970s, and over the last 15 years the Army has been replacing older ones with the UH-60Ms, so I'd imagine we have a few hundred Blackhawks sitting around waiting to go into storage.  There's got to be other decent systems in a similar state.

There are close to 100 of them in the desert in Arizona. I did a 5k through the boneyard there about five years ago and they were everywhere. Better the Ukes have them.
  • Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

ATACMS would be nice.

I don't think we will actually send these for a few reasons:

1.  Their accuracy is reportedly somewhere between 10 to 50 meters.  Considering the Ukrainians would actually be bombing their own country with them, the potential for civilian casualties is significantly higher than glsdb's.  Obviously, that would include unintended infrastructure damage.  

2.  While the warhead is significantly larger, well, see point one.

3.  Cost per launch, glsdb's cost approximately 40 to 60k per shot, these are millions of dollars (which is dead money in our stockpile, as they are being phased out) however, they could be sold to partners.

4.  And this is the big one, they are ballistic, meaning they are suborbital (the reported ceiling is 160k feet).  Considering the proximity to a nuclear power which we are right on the edge with being in a war with, we don't want this there.  A launch of this sort could easily be misunderstood by them as a nuclear attack.  Given that we have ballistic nuclear missiles positioned not too much further away, that's extremely dangerous.  

As for benefits

1.  Huge destruction (one accurate shot and the Kerch bridge is toast) and enemy losses.  

2.  Because it's suborbital, it's supersonic, mach 3ish on impact.  You ain't shooting it down with an auto cannon, that's for sure.

3.  Range 190 ish miles

But I'd be surprised if we deployed these, simply too much risk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, 686 said:

Interesting video of a rocket that went three floors deep into a Russian outpost but didn’t explode. Narrator sounding like morale is low:

No idea what rocket they used and not going to click on that (eating dinner right now), but we have fuse delays on quite a few rockets just for structures.

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

4.  And this is the big one, they are ballistic, meaning they are suborbital (the reported ceiling is 160k feet).  Considering the proximity to a nuclear power which we are right on the edge with being in a war with, we don't want this there.  A launch of this sort could easily be misunderstood by them as a nuclear attack.  Given that we have ballistic nuclear missiles positioned not too much further away, that's extremely dangerous.  

The Ukrainians have been firing their own ballistic missiles (Tochka) throughout the war. The only thing holding back ATACMS had been our (silly) hesitancy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

In the thread there is a link to a fawning podcast with Hersh, it’s worth listening if you have time in the car or something. The interviewer gives him a lot of rope and he just can’t help showing his ass. 

“NATO started with nineteen Western European members, now it’s, I don’t know…. Forty something? (30).  You’ve got all these new members, I joke about Macedonia, you’ve got Italy in there….”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1