Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have to disagree with your parenthetical, while agreeing with your overall point.

The materiel supplied by the United States under Lend-Lease wasn't most importantly the trucks.  Those were critical.  Don't get me wrong.  But there's kind of this historical idea in the United States that what we sent them was primarily GMCs and Studebakers, and that's just not right.

When Germany attacked in 1941, it quickly captured the vast majority of Russia's tanks.  It also captured most of Russia's air force.  And, most importantly, it captured the areas that manufactured the tanks and airplanes and the areas that produced the raw materials necessary to build them.  So in 1941 and 1941. we were supplying massive numbers of fighter aircraft (P-39s) and tanks (primarily M3s in 1941, later M4s).  But it wasn't just that.  It was also massive amounts of ammunition, fuel, food, and even uniforms and boots.  Rationing in the United States wasn't needed to supply the American war effort; it was needed entirely to support the Soviet war effort.

And even after they got new factories up and running, they were using American raw materials and American intellectual property.  The T34 was built with American steel on an American chassis.  It was fueled with American diesel brought on American trucks.  It was crewed by men who ate Spam and wore M-42 Service Shoes.

The Soviet Union downplayed the role of Lend-Lease, even during the war.  And inside Russia, virtually nobody has any knowledge of the American contribution to the Soviet war effort.  The end result is that you have three generations of Soviet/Russian commanders who don't understand logistics, they actively deny its importance.  But even in the West, the Soviet effort was successful in downplaying Lend-Lease as nothing more than a bunch of Studebakers.  And that's very, very wrong.

So it now appears that there's something going on, and that these aren't isolated accidents.  And there are a handful of possibilities, none of which are mutually exclusive:

1) Ukrainian SOF--this makes some sense that the Ukrainians would be able to infiltrate special forces into Russia to blow shit up.  It'd actually be surprising if they weren't able to do so.  The Ukrainians speak the language, they wouldn't be recognizable physically or culturally.  They should be able to move about Russia relatively freely.

2) Russian opposition--I don't know how much opposition there is in Russia, but this was certainly an issue in Belarus (as detailed in the New York Times story yesterday).  To the extent there is Russian opposition that is willing to sabotage the war effort, they could be coordinating with Ukrainian SOF.

3) Western SOF--This strikes me as less likely.  But at the same time, I also wonder what assets we have in Russia pre-positioned for partisan/sabotage activity (i.e., sleepers).  And as kind of discussed by Secretary Austin yesterday, we're really leaving it out on the field right now.  So if we have those covert assets available, this might be the time when we've decided to use them.

4) Cyberattacks--a lot of these fires/explosions look like something that could have been caused by a cyberattack.  Close the wrong valve and open another, and shit in a chemical plant can go "boom" in a real hurry.  Those could be coordinated by Western countries on a covert basis.  But the Ukrainians are themselves very capable of doing it.

Bayraktar is the rumored weapon. If true RU air defense is complete shit.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

This guy claims to cover Turkish defense news. 

Of course this could still be a "false flag" by Russia, but it would be a stupid one. Blowing up your own critical infrastructure as an excuse to attack a country you're already invading makes no sense.

But Russia gonna Russia.

Adding this for context others mentioned about this possibly being a false flag:

Edited by The Dog

So the russians were called out for their readily apparent and obvious false flag operation 36 hours in advance of it occurring, yet still attempted it and did so in a completely shoddy, obvious manner?

It's as if they have no concept of the new warfare/technology/information dissemination and are flat out refusing to adjust to it no matter how many times it slaps in the face.

It's like they want to lose

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

So the russians were called out for their readily apparent and obvious false flag operation 36 hours in advance of it occurring, yet still attempted it and did so in a completely shoddy, obvious manner?

It's as if they have no concept of the new warfare/technology/information dissemination and are flat out refusing to adjust to it no matter how many times it slaps in the face.

It's like they want to lose

think of a magician that has one magic trick in their bag: the ole' pulled a quarter out of your ear trick, and they've only ever performed it to children smaller than 5.

then that magician is asked to perform in front of an audience of adults.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow.  Interesting time stamps.  

1 hour ago, The Dog said:
Of course this could still be a "false flag" by Russia, but it would be a stupid one. Blowing up your own critical infrastructure as an excuse to attack a country you're already invading makes no sense.

But Russia gonna Russia.

Adding this for context others mentioned about this possibly being a false flag:

Look at the ones I posted above your false flag mention - the Russkis have been planning this for a few days.

And they are dumb enough to do it.

^I mean if even some of this is true, it's incredible how terrible and widespread morale amongst their forces must be. In the Marines, we always jokingly said stuff like "If a Marine isn't complaining then he's dead," but all in all we were always proud to be doing what we were doing, even when shit sucked a little. Widespread desertion etc. is absolutely unthinkable. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Sweden has received concrete promises from the United Kingdom and the United States about protection during an application process to NATO, several sources state with insight into the Government Offices' work.

Sounds like they get Article 5 protection from the moment they apply. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^I mean if even some of this is true, it's incredible how terrible and widespread morale amongst their forces must be. In the Marines, we always jokingly said stuff like "If a Marine isn't complaining then he's dead," but all in all we were always proud to be doing what we were doing, even when shit sucked a little. Widespread desertion etc. is absolutely unthinkable. 

They have 33% of US killed in Vietnam in 2 months of fighting in Ukraine. It'd be impossible to have high morale.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

The calculation of PTRK "Stugna-P" in three minutes destroyed 4 units of racist equipment, Izyum direction. 1/2

Popasna, the remnants of the Russian occupiers.

Countdown initiated - 14 days till the big parade.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

they made the tacos last Friday, but because there’s a heavy volunteer presence on the weekend, thought that they’d wait to deliver food today when it was needed more.

Three day old tacos? That's a war crime. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Journalist Dmitry Kozelev

@kolezev

noted that the video also shows a book signed “Signature is illegible”. Looks like someone took the instructions too literally.

^haha, they even signed their name "signature is illegible." Oh man, it doesn't get better than that. Keystone cops over here!

I'm also convinced that instead of buying the Sims 3 game, their orders were to buy 3 SIMS (meaning cards) and they didn't ask any follow-up questions.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Three day old tacos? That's a war crime. 

Meh, used to do that for family road trips all the time.  Make em, put em in the fridge wrapped in foil, then the morning of, put them in the oven to warm.  Quite tasty and good.   And, I mean, I'm guessing Ukrainian taco gastronomy isn't as picky as yours or mine anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, MillerEP said:
30 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

They have 33% of US killed in Vietnam in 2 months of fighting in Ukraine. It'd be impossible to have high morale.

The fact that the Russian government/military does not give a shit about dead Russians tells me everything I need to know about how they view these troops. 

The fact that individual Russian units have traded hostages for the bodies of their fallen comrades while their leadership gives no fucks also says a lot.

And toss in that Russian troops were told that they were "liberating" Ukraine, and are instead hated and attacked by people who look like their families. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

SIAP, but gun jesus put out a pretty interesting compare/contrast between russia's winter war with Finland and the current Ukrainian war

TL:DR - russia is making many of the same strategic mistakes that led to Finland being able to (just barely) hold them off. Current event-wise, Ukraine is significantly better equipped and supported. If you've got a spare half hour, its a really interesting military history analysis

Those of you who are into guns or history should be subscribed to his YouTube channel. I've celebrated his entire catalog for many years.  One of my top 5 favorite YouTube channels.

The other thing to note about the WSJ article and tweets above, modern Russian equipment has looked like utter shit on a modern battlefield, while Western weapons are doing fantastic, as are older Russian/Soviet equipment in the hands of capable troops.

Cannot do anything but help out China's arms industry (as well as Western manufacturers if you have the money).