Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Really awesome read - they did this in just a few weeks.

This gets into the gist of a lot of Russia's problems, and NATO's strengths - Russia gets bogged down trying to get supplies more than 90 miles out from their hubs.  Meanwhile, the militaries of NATO are extremely flexible, and train their NCOs and lower-ranking officers to be able to think on their feet and get shit done.  The end result is that within a few weeks you have dozens of countries coordinating a massive operation using a pipeline that can stretch thousands of miles over land, sea, and air to get armaments quickly flowing into Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

They said the markings on the jet were diff than normal Russian SUs.  So they try to maintain that fiction

Sure they do, I’m just trying to clarify some pretty muddled reporting about what Wagner is and what Wagner does. You read respectable news organizations saying things like Wagner has “deep ties” to the Kremlin. No: Wagner is a Kremlin construct, it’s just “the Kremlin.” It’s not even analogous to something like Blackwater where there is a secondary purpose of making its owners money.  It’s just a Kremlin created tool that allows Russia to skirt their own laws and confuse things.  I’m sure Prigozhin gets a hefty reward for being a cut out but let’s not pretend he exercises any control or influence. 

One example of why a fictional PMC like this is useful: it allows a fired former Russian BBC pilot to be in Ukraine, flying combat missions for Russia without being in the Russian military. Russia is a complicated place, Putin can’t quite rule by fiat.  Laws mean things, even if not in the way they mean things in the West and have to be skirted. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The article also shows that it's not a fluke in regards to what the US did in Desert Storm in 1990/91, and in Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003 - we really do have some of the best logistics people and infrastructure in the world.

And you could argue that we did this just as well in WWII and even Korea/Vietnam.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sure they do, I’m just trying to clarify some pretty muddled reporting about what Wagner is and what Wagner does. You read respectable news organizations saying things like Wagner has “deep ties” to the Kremlin. No: Wagner is a Kremlin construct, it’s just “the Kremlin.” It’s not even analogous to something like Blackwater where there is a secondary purpose of making its owners money.  It’s just a Kremlin created tool that allows Russia to skirt their own laws and confuse things.  I’m sure Prigozhin gets a hefty reward for being a cut out but let’s not pretend he exercises any control or influence. 

One example of why a fictional PMC like this is useful: it allows a fired former Russian BBC pilot to be in Ukraine, flying combat missions for Russia without being in the Russian military. Russia is a complicated place, Putin can’t quite rule by fiat.  Laws mean things, even if not in the way they mean things in the West and have to be skirted. 

Basically, we should just treat Wagner like it's the name of another division within the Russian military, just a really large division that bypasses the military leadership and goes straight to Putin?

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Basically, we should just treat Wagner like it's the name of another division within the Russian military, just a really large division that bypasses the military leadership and goes straight to Putin?

You’re pretty accurate there. I think at times it’s even been in our own diplomatic and strategic interests to play pretend with them as letting them have that deniability also makes it easier for them to walk back. But we’ve wandered far beyond face-saving now. And our journalists need to be a bit less “balanced” on this stuff.  It might be helpful to think of it kind of like units in pre-modern militaries that were the “Kings Own” and not raised as part of the larger army that lords would raise and levy and help finance.  Sometimes under broader military command, sometimes not, depending on what is needed. With key differences, as it’s not like the funding for Wagner comes out of Putin’s own fortune which also officially doesn’t exist. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Really awesome read - they did this in just a few weeks.

This gets into the gist of a lot of Russia's problems, and NATO's strengths - Russia gets bogged down trying to get supplies more than 90 miles out from their hubs.  Meanwhile, the militaries of NATO are extremely flexible, and train their NCOs and lower-ranking officers to be able to think on their feet and get shit done.  The end result is that within a few weeks you have dozens of countries coordinating a massive operation using a pipeline that can stretch thousands of miles over land, sea, and air to get armaments quickly flowing into Ukraine.

Same what atom posted. I was listening to Perun's YouTube video, he might have been using hyperbole, but he says the USAF can airlift the entire Australian military in one go. Almost good enough to handle one years worth of stoops' dick orchid harvest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Reminds me of some other dictator that had a supplemental army personally under his command. 

Yes I know the Wehrmacht took a personal oath too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fico said:

Same what atom posted. I was listening to Perun's YouTube video, he might have been using hyperbole, but he says the USAF can airlift the entire Australian military in one go. Almost good enough to handle one years worth of stoops' dick orchid harvest. 

To be fair, solving the problem of how to get American power where it is needed has been the most elemental task of the U.S. military since 1917.  Necessity is the mother of invention. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

To be fair, solving the problem of how to get American power where it is needed has been the most elemental task of the U.S. military since 1917.  Necessity is the mother of invention. 

And lets not forget a second item that is overlooked. Smart people from around the globe moved here, integrated and learned to work with each other. That is massive. I pray we keep it up. 

Our diplomatic corps, our military, our development personnel lead. We lead from experience, we lead from belief, we lead. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's starting to sound like the Ukrainian army is running out of steam.  I still haven't seen any reliable casualty numbers for them.  Russia may suck ass but they might be grinding  the Ukes down. 

I think it's more about the Ukrainian army picks and chooses where it wants to fight/expend resources.  While many Ukrainian soldiers have been pushed to the limits depending on their location, they've also been able to rotate Ukrainian soldiers in and out of combat and into secure areas.  Meanwhile, the Russians have no such options in a lot of the areas they are fighting in because they don't have reserves that can give them a break.  They are always within active combat zones and Ukrainians are able to hit them at all hours of the day with drones, artillery, etc.

We've also seen Ukrainians pull back to deliberately cause Russian troops to move into areas where the Ukrainians were able to better engage them, and we've seen them pull back to help stretch out Russian logistics chains, which are then easy pickings.  

Ukraine has 700,000 active-duty service members - folks fighting as infantry, working in logistics, and everything else in between, plus a shit-ton that are in training right now to fight.  I'm not sure if that includes the 100,000+ strong Territorial Defense Forces (comparable to our National Guard), which were recently allowed to be moved around outside of their home regions, which further helps relieve a lot of other service members.

Russia has 280,000 active-duty service members in their ground forces, and the bulk of them are in Ukraine, without any massive reserves in sight.

Ironically Putin has his hands tied because he called it a "special military operation" instead of having war declared, and so he can't call up hundreds of thousands of reserves and start a mass draft/conscription.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’re pretty accurate there. I think at times it’s even been in our own diplomatic and strategic interests to play pretend with them as letting them have that deniability also makes it easier for them to walk back. But we’ve wandered far beyond face-saving now. And our journalists need to be a bit less “balanced” on this stuff.  It might be helpful to think of it kind of like units in pre-modern militaries that were the “Kings Own” and not raised as part of the larger army that lords would raise and levy and help finance.  Sometimes under broader military command, sometimes not, depending on what is needed. With key differences, as it’s not like the funding for Wagner comes out of Putin’s own fortune which also officially doesn’t exist. 

You. mean like a few years ago in Syria when US Army Green Berets, US Marines, and US Air Force personnel killed a shit-ton of Wagner personnel without any losses on our side?  Pretending Wagner was a PMC allowed the Russians to back out of that shitstorm.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I gotta give the Russians credit, they don't even try to hide the evilness inherent in their actions.  Play nice with Russia and you won't starve.

Russia wants a wave of migrants from non-white nations to Europe.  This is absolutely something they will work for. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I hear ya brother. Mostly I was dunking on them for hiring an old dude who was fired for crashing a jet to fly their “Wagner” jet. Maybe somebody on LinkedInMoscow who never crashed?
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Just let them know there are 21 US Special Forces types in the region and watch the Wagner guys run…..

And Air Force Combat Controllers.  And some spare Marines they had laying around.

That firefight with the Wagner guys in Syria, it's amazing that no footage ever leaked out from that, given how humiliating it was for the Russians to be defeated by such a small American force.

You know though, it's interesting to think about - the Wagner guys went to wipe out the Americans, even though the Americans knew they were coming for miles in advance. The Wagner guys even knew the Americans knew, because it was open ground and drones were overhead, and US forces kept warning the Russians over the shared radio channel (that was supposed to reduce the chances of Americans and Russians accidentally fighting each other).  Americans were literally telling the Russians to knock it off or they'd be killed.

And yet the Wagner guys didn't stop.  They knew the Americans were ready for them, knew the USAF was overhead, but they followed their orders and walked right into a killing zone.

Here we are several years later, and Russians keep following their orders knowing it's going to get them killed, and they don't deviate, don't back off and try to come up with a better strategy.  Just follow the fucking orders.

Orcs indeed.

And Air Force Combat Controllers.  And some spare Marines they had laying around.
That firefight with the Wagner guys in Syria, it's amazing that no footage ever leaked out from that, given how humiliating it was for the Russians to be defeated by such a small American force.
You know though, it's interesting to think about - the Wagner guys went to wipe out the Americans, even though the Americans knew they were coming for miles in advance. The Wagner guys even knew the Americans knew, because it was open ground and drones were overhead, and US forces kept warning the Russians over the shared radio channel (that was supposed to reduce the chances of Americans and Russians accidentally fighting each other).  Americans were literally telling the Russians to knock it off or they'd be killed.
And yet the Wagner guys didn't stop.  They knew the Americans were ready for them, knew the USAF was overhead, but they followed their orders and walked right into a killing zone.
Here we are several years later, and Russians keep following their orders knowing it's going to get them killed, and they don't deviate, don't back off and try to come up with a better strategy.  Just follow the fucking orders.
Orcs indeed.

The only problem is that they didn’t try again…..

16 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

They said the markings on the jet were diff than normal Russian SUs.  So they try to maintain that fiction

I saw that as well and immediately wondered what markings that meant?  Of course, it's not like you can make out national markings while these planes are in flight anyhow and they're increasingly irrelevant in the electronic age.  

23 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think it’s pretty fucked up to prey on a vulnerable person fleeing war. Hard not to think the “savior”/power dynamic had a huge influence on the 22 year old. I don’t know, it just seems a bit worse than a workplace supervisor taking advantage of his position and pressuring a subordinate into sex or a relationship, right? At least the workplace victim can go home 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think it’s pretty fucked up to prey on a vulnerable person fleeing war. Hard not to think the “savior”/power dynamic had a huge influence on the 22 year old. I don’t know, it just seems a bit worse than a workplace supervisor taking advantage of his position and pressuring a subordinate into sex or a relationship, right? At least the workplace victim can go home 

I'm not sure. Before the war, there were hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian women on mail order bride websites, looking to meet Western men, and leave the country. She may have been one of them. I have seen what many of these men look like, and the wool they pull from there. No way they are going to get a Western woman that looks like that. He has head tats, and is a security guard, not ideal. But at least he looks young, and in shape. Not sure who the instigator is.

Women's number one goal in life, is security. She just provided herself a path to UK citizenship.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF

128 separate mountain assault brigade demilitarizes combat units of the Russian Army - soldiers of one of the assault battalions took a trophy tank.

An echelon of Soviet T-62 tanks arrived in the temporarily occupied Melitopol. We are waiting for the T-34.