Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The occupation authorities in Kherson are taking all the kids in school to Crimea for “fall holidays.”

https://t.me/VGA_Kherson/3858

Hostages.

They are taking children hostage.  It's not any more complicated than that.

Humanity is dealing with an inhuman regime that commits atrocities as casually as the rest of us eat breakfast.  This doesn't end until this regime ends.  And even then, that's just the beginning of the cleansing that has to happen.  Russia is not fit to be part of the community of nations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hostages.

They are taking children hostage.  It's not any more complicated than that.

Humanity is dealing with an inhuman regime that commits atrocities as casually as the rest of us eat breakfast.  This doesn't end until this regime ends.  And even then, that's just the beginning of the cleansing that has to happen.  Russia is not fit to be part of the community of nations.

Also, as we know for a bonafide fact that Russia has kidnapped a crapload of Ukrainians, including children, and is holding them in Russia, if I am Ukraine, this war doesn't end until they are all returned home.  And if that means that I spend the next 5 years on a march through Russia, fighting the whole way, so be it.  In short, I now don't see how this ends without Ukrainian forces entering Russia.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I thought I read somewhere the Abrams needed Jet Fuel or Gasoline instead of Diesel which caused a logistics problem but I looked it up and apparently it has a multi-fuel turbine that can burn jet fuel, gasoline or diesel.  

I'm sure the maintenance and operation need to be trained.

No--it's a multifuel engine.  It'll run on anything.

We run it on JP-8, because that's our universal fuel.  We use it for tanks, IFVs, helicopters, aviation--everything.  But it'll run on diesel, gasoline, kerosene--pretty much anything that burns.

1 hour ago, Kwix said:

Not sure where I saw it, but I believe it's the amount of fuel required that is problematic, not the type.

Yeah--that is the issue.  It gets a smooth half-mile to the gallon.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Correct, it is a fuel-guzzler, regardless of what you are feeding it.

Yeah.  The most recent version has an APU to reduce consumption when idle/overwatch, but the Abrams was designed with the idea that we’d be falling back toward the Fulda gap and shortening our supply lines. 

the other complication is you can train up a diesel mechanic pretty quick in just about any piston engine, but the Ukrainian mechanics would have to learn how to work on a turbine with the Abrams. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, as we know for a bonafide fact that Russia has kidnapped a crapload of Ukrainians, including children, and is holding them in Russia, if I am Ukraine, this war doesn't end until they are all returned home.  And if that means that I spend the next 5 years on a march through Russia, fighting the whole way, so be it.  In short, I now don't see how this ends without Ukrainian forces entering Russia.

Push them hard until winter. Resupply, retrain and rest the UA's forces. Then if the Russians come back in the Spring, go get them! 

Only way I see this ending and the kids coming back is if Putin is deposed or falls from a window, moderates backed by the military take over, and the oligarchs scream for the removal of sanctions. The Ukrainians taken to Russia and their return should be conditional on lifting sanctions. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah.  The most recent version has an APU to reduce consumption when idle/overwatch, but the Abrams was designed with the idea that we’d be faking back toward the Fulda gap and shortening our supply lines. 

the other complication is you can train up a diesel mechanic pretty quick in just about any piston engine, but the Ukrainian mechanics would have to learn how to work on a turbine with the Abrams. 

Facilitate the training by allowing "contractors" to go in and maintain them while training is going on. 

• Hook 'Em 4

So it is becoming increasingly obvious we have little need for a large armored force. Growing up in the 80's, Red Dawn scared me to death. But the US mainland is superbly naturally defensible, invasion is ludicrous, and it appears Europe can take care of itself. Let's un-mothball M1A1s and get them to the Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Thanks for the rec. Started it last night. Only about 80 pages in and can't believe how many "oh what the fuck" moments there have been so far. 

Jesus this is horrific reading.  First the cow, then eating the fucking dog they befriended?

Yeah I was on team fuck Russia before but I have a feeling this book is going to bother me. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Walser said:

So it is becoming increasingly obvious we have little need for a large armored force. Growing up in the 80's, Red Dawn scared me to death. But the US mainland is superbly naturally defensible, invasion is ludicrous, and it appears Europe can take care of itself. Let's un-mothball M1A1s and get them to the Ukraine.

Plus, if we start selling Javelins at Academy instead of ARs....  Advantage USA!

• Haha 1

The minutes of the referendum meeting in Dudchany have arrived. All 100% for Ukraine The unlimited support of this village to Ukraine was confirmed by the Commissioner of Kherson, Spermousov, as well as the fact that a humanitarian woman has already gone there and is writing about it in social networks.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't know.  I would strongly suspect that many of them are in Europe.  But I have no idea.

But I don't think it would take very long to get them to Ukraine from the States.  For 500 tanks, assume about a month to get them out of storage and then another two months for transit, and you have those tanks there before spring.  And this thing is still going to be going in the springtime.

I know for a fact there at least a hundred of them loaded on a boat in Houston about 6 months ago.  I got stuck waiting on a train headed south out of Ft Hood and someone else on here mentioned seeing a train rolling into PoH loaded with Abrams about the same time.  They're over there for sure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I know for a fact there at least a hundred of them loaded on a boat in Houston about 6 months ago.  I got stuck waiting on a train headed south out of Ft Hood and someone else on here mentioned seeing a train rolling into PoH loaded with Abrams about the same time.  They're over there for sure.  

Those were likely our newer ones (ones for our military to use) that we were forward deploying to Europe to increase our presence in support of NATO.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, ABSR said:

Those were likely our newer ones (ones for our military to use) that we were forward deploying to Europe to increase our presence in support of NATO.

Agree. We have stuff all over the globe and are constantly pulling it back for upgrades or serious maintenance. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-u-s-news/ap-2-russians-seek-asylum-after-reaching-remote-alaska-island/

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Two Russians who said they fled the country to avoid compulsory military service have requested asylum in the U.S. after landing on a remote Alaskan island in the Bering Sea, Alaska U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s office said Thursday.

Karina Borger, a spokesperson for Murkowski, said by email that the office has been in communication with the U.S. Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection and that “the Russian nationals reported that they fled one of the coastal communities on the east coast of Russia to avoid compulsory military service.”

Spokespersons with the Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection each referred a reporter’s questions to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which did not immediately respond Thursday.

Alaska’s senators, Republicans Murkowski and Dan Sullivan, on Thursday said the individuals landed at a beach near Gambell, an isolated community of about 600 people on St. Lawrence Island. The statement doesn’t specify when the incident occurred though Sullivan said he was alerted to the matter by a “senior community leader from the Bering Strait region” on Tuesday morning.

A Sullivan spokesperson, Ben Dietderich, said it was the office’s understanding that the individuals had arrived by boat.

Gambell is about 200 miles (320 kilometers) southwest of the western Alaska hub community of Nome and about 36 miles (58 kilometers) from the Chukotka Peninsula, Siberia.

• Hook 'Em 8