Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Add to that the one boot and the one knock off Croc. This is fucking ridiculous. I mean my Afghan medics had better sense than this crap and training. Can you even think of the training a Russian Medic gets? Here ya go Yuri, a bottle of vodka and some maggots. Bandage? nah, just put leave the shirt on. The fibers will hold the wound together. 
Now think about what winter will do to them. They are going to be Stalingrad level of fucked. 

“Yuri- this will work. I know it’s last resort and all but I saw it on house of dragon a few weeks ago”

b7b83d637779a5e3482c205821926f1f.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Look at the Europeans trying to beat us into being the Ukrainians primary MBT provider.  Capitalism occasionally has it's charms.

I’ve seen a few analysts talking about the sudden “rush” of support feels like some countries were afraid of not being seen as influential in European affairs.

• Hook 'Em 7

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Look at the Europeans trying to beat us into being the Ukrainians primary MBT provider.  Capitalism occasionally has it's charms.

Do we have the Abrams production capacity to sell them to Ukraine?  Seems Poland hadta buy South Korean tanks because we just couldn't cover another order.  Might be wrong on that.

“It is time for the lies to stop. Also, there are no more Ukrainian soldiers, it’s only foreign mercenaries at this point.”

It has to be so strange when your job is to convince people that reality isn’t real when you’re smacked in the face by reality. You could just see his mind break. So awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Tangentially related because it hints further at the stability of Belarus. But damn, why didn’t we think of this!?

It's really like someone who only achieved a  9th grade education, after failing to advance past that several times, and who then became a bus driver for the next few decades was suddenly made ruler of the country.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Do we have the Abrams production capacity to sell them to Ukraine?  Seems Poland hadta buy South Korean tanks because we just couldn't cover another order.  Might be wrong on that.

We've got a good start with the Marine's recently retired Abrams sitting around. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He says “the Ukrainian army ceased to exist” and only mercenaries now fight Russia.  They won’t give props to Ukraine for anything.  Certainly not going to admit that Ukrainians are whipping their ass out of a rejection of all things Russia and an embrace of Freedom. 

Very Aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like that ignores the fact the story of Stepan Bandera as told in both Ukraine and in Russia. In Russia, he's emblematic of a Nazi sympathizer who turned on mother Russia and committed atrocities while cooperating with Nazi Germany. In Ukraine, at least among many Western leaning Ukrainians, he's a symbol of Ukrainian nationalism and a desire to be independent of Russia. It's an extremely popular narrative in both countries. It's taught in Russian history books. It's THE chief reason why Russian propaganda regarding Nazi sympathizers in Ukraine is so powerfully persuasive among Russians and has been from the word go. They're not inventing a narrative out of whole cloth. They're tapping into a narrative that already exists from Russian educated childhood. 

It's not simply Nazi = Ukrainian Nationalism.

It's Nazi = support for Stepan Bandera and other Ukrainian collaborationists with Nazi Germany, who were fighting against Russia. 

I don't know why we're trying to spin it as something else. That's the root of it. From the Russian perspective, it makes sense. From my perspective it's propaganda being used to fuel imperialist policy. But that's how imperialist policy works. I'm just saying the narrative makes sense based on how Russia teaches WWII history, in particular how much they've always emphasized the portion of the Ukrainian population that sided with Hitler. It also makes sense because there is genuine support for Bandera as a national hero. Not niche, covert, under wraps support. Mainstream, in your face, "how you feel about Bandera indicates how you feel about Ukraine" type support. 

That doesn't make Ukrainians Nazis, IMO. It's certainly not any kind of stain on Zelensky's administration, which if anything had been more desirous of working with Russia than the previous administration prior to the war. Part of the reason he won with 70% of the vote. 

None of this gets into the very definite Austro-Hungarian Empire borders with Tsarist Russia, but that isn't about the Nazi moniker, either. Not directly, anyway. 

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2021/03/19/in-ukraine-stepan-bandera-s-legacy-becomes-a-political-football-again

Reveal hidden contents

In Ukraine, Stepan Bandera’s legacy becomes a political football... again 

Access to the commentsCOMMENTS
By Emil Filtenborg in Kyiv  •  Updated: 26/03/2021
A man dressed in Ukrainian insurgent army uniform seen by a young supporter of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army holds a portrait of Stepan Bandera.
A man dressed in Ukrainian insurgent army uniform seen by a young supporter of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army holds a portrait of Stepan Bandera.   -   Copyright  Sergei Chuzavkov/AP2009

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

• facebook
  • twitter
  • flipboard
  • mail icon
  •  
  •  
  • reddit
  • messenger-dsk
  • linkedin
  • vk

There are few figures in Ukrainian history as controversial as Stepan Bandera, and fewer still are able to influence so profoundly modern politics more than six decades after their death.

Bandera, who died in 1959 after being poisoned by Soviet agents, is seen as a national hero who fought for Ukrainian independence during the 1930s and 1940s. To others, he is a war criminal whose nationalist forces carried out atrocities against Jews and Poles during WW2.

Now the authorities in Lviv, in western Ukraine, have reignited the debate over the wartime militia leader by requesting the government to rename Arena Lviv in honour of Bandera and forcing Ukrainian President Volodimir Zelenskyy to pick a side during a bitter election battle.

“They are pressuring Zelenskyy and [Denys] Shmygal, the prime minister, to decide if they are nationalist or not,” said Alexei Jakubin, a senior politics lecturer at Kyiv Polytechnic Institute.

Zelenskyy, who won the 2019 election in Ukraine by a landslide with over 70% of the vote, is currently polling at just 19%.

Lviv’s authorities, dominated by right-wing parties including Svoboda and European Solidarity, the party of former president Petro Poroshenko, smell blood.

“Zelenskyy and Poroshenko have a fight going on about who is the most patriotic [and] Zelenskyy is in a difficult position because his support is much lower he is moving [towards] the right wing, which is the territory of Poroshenko,” said Jakubin.

“This is a test to see whether or not he is a real patriot,” he added.

It is not the first time by any means that a war over Bandera’s legacy has been waged in the highest echelons of Ukrainian politics.

In 2010, Bandera was named a “Hero of Ukraine” by the outgoing President Viktor Yushchenko, sparking anger in Europe, Poland and Israel.

He was stripped of the title in 2011 under Yushchenko’s replacement, President Viktor Yanukovych, but when Yanukovych was ousted in 2014, Kyiv’s City Council renamed the city’s Moscow Avenue Stepan Bandera Avenue after the Russian invasion of eastern Ukraine.

There are monuments to Bandera throughout western Ukraine and in 2018, the authorities in Lviv, just 46 miles from the Polish border, announced that 2019 would be the ‘Year of Stepan Bandera’, again sparking protests from Israeli and the Polish government.

Credit: EuronewsLviv, near Ukraine's border with PolandCredit: Euronews

Who was Stepan Bandera?

Following World War One, Poland and Ukraine fought a short war which resulted in Poland capturing the city of Lviv. Bandera, who studied in Lviv, was a member of various nationalist Ukrainian organisations before joining the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN), becoming second in command of the militia group in 1933.

The following year, Bandera orchestrated the assassination of Polish Minister of Interior Bronisław Pieracki and was sentenced to death by a Polish court, later commuted to life imprisonment. When the Nazis invaded Poland, Bandera and other nationalists escaped from prison.

Bandera was trained by the German Abwehr to do counter-espionage in the Soviet Union, occupied Poland and Ukraine, which he did until 1941. That year, Bandera and his followers signed a declaration of independence for Ukraine and announced an alliance with Germany.

To their disappointment, Nazi Germany refused to recognise Ukraine’s independence and ordered Bandera to withdraw the declaration. When he refused, he was arrested and later jailed in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, which held high-profile political prisoners.

During Bandera’s time in Sachsenhausen, the OUN carried out thousands of murders of Poles, most of them civilians, during a campaign of ethnic cleansing in Volhynia and later Eastern Galicia. As many as 100,000 people may have died during the two-year campaign.

While Bandera was not directly involved in the ethnic cleansing - as he was in jail - he had openly stated that both Jews and Poles had no place in a sovereign Ukrainian state. During the Holocaust, one-sixth of the Jews murdered by the Nazis were from Ukraine.

During Bandera’s time in prison, the Nazis began executing other leaders of the OUN and in the final years of World War Two, the organisation found itself at war with both Germany and the Soviets, which considered the country part of the Soviet Union.

Credit: AFPDanish players attend a training session on June 12, 2012 at the Arena Stadium in LvivCredit: AFP

For his supporters, the fact that Bandera fought to prevent the Soviet occupation of Ukraine is more significant than his collaboration with the Nazis. Since the 2014 Euromaidan revolution, Bandera has been a rallying cry for many Ukrainian nationalists, particularly after the Russian annexation of Crimea and the backing of separatist movements in eastern Ukraine.

“The main thing for the people following Bandera today is that he fought for an independent Ukraine. They ignore that his organization cooperated with the Nazi regime, that they were anti-Semitic, and that Bandera was also anti-Polish,” said Jakubin.

“After Euromaidan, some people have tried to create a new image of Bandera as a person fighting the Soviets for Ukrainian independence.”

_Euronews has reached out to President Zelenskyy's office for comment. _

I didn't offer my contribution as an "or" to your post but an "and this too."

On 9/29/2022 at 12:40 AM, Gatorubet said:

63E6CC49-D2AB-4E10-BC49-B225B13770B4.thumb.jpeg.986a7e1e96e3b75f10cde38e9a3b7073.jpeg

it took one day for Amazon to get me this book, and one day to read it. I can’t express how this book explains absolutely everything about the current conflict - and the behavior and success of the Russian army. It also describes perfectly the sort of immoral, selfish, both bully and victim at the same time existence which is apparently the essence of the Russian soul.

I can’t recommend it more highly.  It is the semi-autobiography of a young law student from Moscow who fought in Chechnya.   The culture of the military is so far worse than I imagined.  I almost felt sorry for him /them it was so horrible.   But I realized that there was zero will to change, they need to own all of this. 

Thanks for the rec. Started it last night. Only about 80 pages in and can't believe how many "oh what the fuck" moments there have been so far. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Thanks for the rec. Started it last night. Only about 80 pages in and can't believe how many "oh what the fuck" moments there have been so far. 

The thing that started to become obvious to me is that there were not any "good" Russian guys in the story. I felt the author was the most neutral, and it was him telling the story, but all the Russians whether his friends or others, were all fairly shitty people (at best).

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Agreed - purchased it as well and am about half-way through.  Very enlightening.  Reading this book and looking at the Ukraine War makes you realize that the Russian Army is completely garbage.

54 minutes ago, Fico said:

We've got a good start with the Marine's recently retired Abrams sitting around. 

Hey I'm totally cool with it, even if it means drawing our inventory down quite a bit.  The Abrams was born to kill Russians.  Time to let slip the hogs of war!

49 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Mine showed up yesterday. Gonna skip CFB Saturday to read it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

We have nearly 4,000 M1A1s and M1A2s in storage right now.  And unlike the Russians, we store our shit so that it can actually be used.  Those are superior to anything the Russians are rolling out there right now.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

We have nearly 4,000 M1A1s and M1A2s in storage right now.  And unlike the Russians, we store our shit so that it can actually be used.  Those are superior to anything the Russians are rolling out there right now.

Are any of them stored in Europe? This whole thing may be over before any M1s could be delivered from the States.

CHIEF

45 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Hey I'm totally cool with it, even if it means drawing our inventory down quite a bit.  The Abrams was born to kill Russians.  Time to let slip the hogs of war!

Mine showed up yesterday. Gonna skip CFB Saturday to read it.

But it's the Red River Shootout

10 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Are any of them stored in Europe? This whole thing may be over before any M1s could be delivered from the States.

CHIEF

I don't know.  I would strongly suspect that many of them are in Europe.  But I have no idea.

But I don't think it would take very long to get them to Ukraine from the States.  For 500 tanks, assume about a month to get them out of storage and then another two months for transit, and you have those tanks there before spring.  And this thing is still going to be going in the springtime.

• Hook 'Em 1

If that's the case, we need to do it.

All the better if Russia has fucked off back their own shithole before our tanks get used.

Thinking long game, it'd be hugely informative to see how our tanks work on a modern battlefield.  Seems to may anyway.

Edited by Parliament

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't know.  I would strongly suspect that many of them are in Europe.  But I have no idea.

But I don't think it would take very long to get them to Ukraine from the States.  For 500 tanks, assume about a month to get them out of storage and then another two months for transit, and you have those tanks there before spring.  And this thing is still going to be going in the springtime.

Agree it won't be over by then. Get them ready and send them over. If not to the Ukrainians hook up the Poles and others who want them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is a good read. And it does not get any better for him. I read it right when it came out, but I thought they got their shit together in most units. Guess not. 

No. not at all.  And when you see the disorganization, the awful behavior, the looting, the beatings, the poor equipment, the command structure, etc. etc. etc. etc. you just realize that it is systemic.  This is how Russia fights.  Always has, always will.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If that's the case, we need to do it.

All the better if Russia has fucked off back their own shithole before our tanks get used.

Thinking long game, it'd be hugely informative to see how our tanks work on a modern battlefield.  Seems to may anyway.

I think we know how our tanks perform on the modern battlefield from our two wars against Iraq.  We have this image of the Iraqi Army just throwing up its hands and quitting.  But there were some major tank battles (Medina Ridge, 73 Easting, and Baghdad).  So I think we have a pretty good idea of how the M1A1s and M1A2s will fare against what the Russians are rolling out there.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

2 hours ago, Fico said:

I thought I read somewhere the Abrams needed Jet Fuel or Gasoline instead of Diesel which caused a logistics problem but I looked it up and apparently it has a multi-fuel turbine that can burn jet fuel, gasoline or diesel.  

I'm sure the maintenance and operation need to be trained.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

No. not at all.  And when you see the disorganization, the awful behavior, the looting, the beatings, the poor equipment, the command structure, etc. etc. etc. etc. you just realize that it is systemic.  This is how Russia fights.  Always has, always will.  

I think what it showed to me is this is how Russians live, not just fight.  It wasn't a fog of war thing, it was just accepted as how they do and should act.  

To me it reinforced my belief that Russia is really just a giant mafia country.  Putin is the head Mafia leader and there are multiple "families" or groups (oligarchs/industries/government entities).  Stealing, corruption, beatings, murder, lying, threats which are carried out, or threats which are not because the other party is too strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I thought I read somewhere the Abrams needed Jet Fuel or Gasoline instead of Diesel which caused a logistics problem but I looked it up and apparently it has a multi-fuel turbine that can burn jet fuel, gasoline or diesel.  

I'm sure the maintenance and operation need to be trained.

Not sure where I saw it, but I believe it's the amount of fuel required that is problematic, not the type.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Give them stock from the APS2 reserves in Germany

For the first time, the U.S. Army has activated its Army Prepositioned Stock-2 (APS-2) reserves. At the conclusion of the Cold War, the U.S. military presence in Europe was reduced, but strategic stockpiles have been maintained ever since in the event that a crisis breaks out.

The APS-2 reserves have been in existence since the 1990s, and include enough war material to outfit two armor brigades and two mechanized infantry brigades.

• Hook 'Em 3