11.26.18 Coach Herman press conference (noon)

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Fucking ref needs to slow down and uncover the pile before pointing. 

that was unreal. that ref shouldn't be calling games. every goddamn person alive knows how hard it is to fall on a football and the KU guy missed it right away, and we got it. 

13 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kurt wants to know if Herman is telling the team they can get into the playoffs with a bunch of upsets this weekend

A: No

Holy shit. I was wondering who asked this question and wanted them to be fired from whatever horrible publication that would hire them. I guess I should not be surprised it was Kurt.

There is a zero chance that the committee puts a three loss team in the playoff even if we beat OU 84-0.

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Holy shit. I was wondering who asked this question and wanted them to be fired from whatever horrible publication that would hire them. I guess I should not be surprised it was Kurt.

There is a zero chance that the committee puts a three loss team in the playoff even if we beat OU 84-0.

I wouldn't care much about the playoffs if we beat OU 84-0 the first time we played each other in a championship game, and yes Bohls is an idiot/douche.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

and by the way, herman is asking beaty to self scout us not what kansas did to OU(although I'm sure that will be discussed).

Yeah, if Riley is whining about Beaty helping us self-scout, he's whinier than I thought. The whining has become a pretty strong tradition in Norman, though.

2 hours ago, bigcigar said:

This is very troubling. We need Sam to be accurate. It was clear that wasn’t an option with his shoulder bothering him versus Kansas

Sam probably wasn't feeling great in that shoulder....but I believe the wind was a factor in that stadium. Dicker hit a couple really ugly kickoffs that died very short and hooked out of bounds....and so did the kansas kicker on at least one. No issue with wind in Arlington this week.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

Sam probably wasn't feeling great in that shoulder....but I believe the wind was a factor in that stadium. Dicker hit a couple really ugly kickoffs that died very short and hooked out of bounds....and so did the kansas kicker on at least one. No issue with wind in Arlington this week.

Except for the wind generated by OU sucking, which could be considerable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, staboner said:

that was unreal. that ref shouldn't be calling games. every goddamn person alive knows how hard it is to fall on a football and the KU guy missed it right away, and we got it. 

Was Herman asked why he didn't call timeout to point out the ref's ineptness and get the call reversed?

Sucks that they are inept. But when it really matters it's okay to call a TO to point that out. 

Was Herman asked why he didn't call timeout to point out the ref's ineptness and get the call reversed?
Sucks that they are inept. But when it really matters it's okay to call a TO to point that out. 

Yes. He said that play was not reviewable. He went into a longer answer in general about using timeouts to have plays reviewed and he said every play is reviewed so you better be really sure you are right or you are wasting a timeout.

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and by the way, herman is asking beaty to self scout us not what kansas did to OU(although I'm sure that will be discussed).

40 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah, if Riley is whining about Beaty helping us self-scout, he's whinier than I thought. The whining has become a pretty strong tradition in Norman, though.

And let's be honest here, what info could Herman really glean from Beaty about scoring  on OU?  Sure Kansas scored 40 on OU.  Texas scored 48 on OU.  EVERYBODY knows how to score on OU.

The key is holding their offense in check.  Since Army is the only team to hold them under 30 all season long, seems like a call to their head coach would be the most beneficial... :)

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Yes. He said that play was not reviewable. He went into a longer answer in general about using timeouts to have plays reviewed and he said every play is reviewed so you better be really sure you are right or you are wasting a timeout.

he needs to study up on risk/reward analysis.

3 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

That wasn't reviewable?   Not sure why.    

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And let's be honest here, what info could Herman really glean from Beaty about scoring  on OU?  Sure Kansas scored 40 on OU.  Texas scored 48 on OU.  EVERYBODY knows how to score on OU.

The key is holding their offense in check.  Since Army is the only team to hold them under 30 all season long, seems like a call to their head coach would be the most beneficial... :)

ha. the Army coach would hand him the "Triple option 17 plays to score" playbook.  that's what we are going to try to do anyway.

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

he needs to study up on risk/reward analysis.

IMO, it has to REALLY be obvious before they overrule a fumble recovery call.  the scrum came pretty fast and the KU player was grabbing at the ball after Brewer got 2 hands on it.  They never would have overruled that call.  I'm sure Brewer got it but idiot ref coming in from the KU sideline decided way to fucking early what he thought he saw.

that said, us wasting a TO at that point in the game probably wasn't going to matter.  if it was a one score game and we needed to keep our TO's I would say no way do you use it because the likelyhood of an overrule there is near 0.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

That wasn't reviewable?   Not sure why.    

in the NFL a recovery of a fumble in the field of play is not reviewable not sure about college.  what can be reviewed is if a fumble occurred and because of that you can review if there was a clear recovery.

5 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Does that hillbilly realizes that Stoops set this precedent back in the title game against Alabama?

that's why he said someone from the league from the same year and additionally because he's a pussy.  whatever, Beaty got fired.  like I said he can call Klff and my guess is he will.  the problem is no self scouting can fix that shitshow of a defense.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that's why he said someone from the league from the same year and additionally because he's a pussy.  whatever, Beaty got fired.  like I said he can call Klff and my guess is he will.  the problem is no self scouting can fix that shitshow of a defense.

Well I missed the part about being from the league but he is still a pussy.

Let’s do it anyway just to be sure.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did anyone hear this at the presser:

Thanks for asking that.

Yes, as you know, in a moment of weakness following our reaching the 1-0 goal yet again, Breckyn Hager jokingly said, “It's 11:12 and 0U sucks.”

Rest assured, there will be consequences to his saying “0U sucks”. We have repeatedly, repeatedly told the players that saying “0U sucks” is simply not allowed. It's not a matter of whether “0U sucks” or not. It's somewhat rude and certainly unprofessional to say “0U sucks” even if you think it's true that “0U sucks”. You may have nothing but an opinion that “0U sucks”, or you may have absolute proof that “0U sucks”, but it's still not allowed to say “0U sucks”.

Just so we're all on the same page here about “0U sucks”, let me summarize for you. Regardless of whether you think or even know that “0U sucks”, you need to keep that opinion to yourself, or at least among friends. Don't say “0U sucks”. Don't say I think “0U sucks”. Don't even say I know “0U sucks”.

I realize it's hard to not say “0U sucks”, I know it's really hard to not say “0U sucks”. It's really really hard to avoid saying “0U sucks”.

OK, cool. Hook'em.

EDIT: tl;dr "0U sucks"

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 2

Herman wasn't talking with Beaty, at least substantially, about OU's scheme or how to beat OU. Herman was primarily interested in finding out, when Beaty was scouting Texas in preparation for the game, did he find any "tells" or tip offs that helped his defense anticipate a Texas offense play - or vice versa.

Things like how an OL sets his feet, whether a RB is aligned (!) with a foot  back or flat, etc, can tip a defense as to what play is calling. If an OC is doing his job right, he has several plays that look like the same pre-snap alignment. For a given down and distance, the OC should be able to run several variations from the same set. An even bigger bonus is if the passing trees (how the receivers start out after the snap) share the same "stem". By running several similar plays earlier in the game, the object is to have the defensive back thinking "Hah! I got this!", try to jump the route, then run by him for an easy TD.

Because of this, defenders look to get an edge by noticing small things like foot sets (does the tackle have his back foot dropped deeper in pass protection?) and other alignments. Herman has people that can tell him everything that OU has put on tape. Only an opposing coach could tell him about his tendencies or predictability because, if he knew, he wouldn't do it.