So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

So, I understand that USF has only been playing football since 1997. Not exactly an historic program.

But! We need to congratulate Coach Potato on working his way into the USF record book in just this, his 3rd year.

A Potato coached USF team just suffered the worst loss in USF history.

Nicely done! Well played sir.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yep, he got steamrolled by a Big Ten semi-power and it looks like 6-6 at best. 

However, that doesn't change the fact that he left behind much more talent in Austin than he inherited, and that is my main point here. Mack's long goodbye set up any coach for failure, just as Jimbo set up Taggert for failure, and Holgo left a dumpster fire behind in Morgantown just in time to steal Fertitta's mob, er, mad money. 

With decent talent, Charlie probably would have lost a game or two more than he should have. But hey, that's been Herman's track record so far, too. Maybe this year will be different and he won't beat OU, Iowa St., and LSU only to lose to some combo of Baylor and a down TCU, K-State, or Okie St. Or even, yes, Kansas, as he almost did last year. Shit, he squeaked by fucking Tulsa last year thanks mainly to their shitty kicker. 

Now, I will say that I am about 3/4 sold on the recruits he's brought in, but we don't really know shit about them until we see how they hold up on Saturday. Special teams look good. The defense looks better than I expected, but overpursuit and missed tackles are concerns. 

But again, Herman was able to add in good recruits to a sturdy talent base. Strong inherited decent talent on D for year one of his tenure, but after that it was all frosh and sophs and not even 1978 Tom Landry could have won with that crap Mack left behind. 

And for the last time, I am not lobbying for Strong to be inducted into some fucking pantheon -- I am contending that post 2009-Mack was even worse than Charlie. 

As we saw yesterday when he did his level best to choke away a win to the mongoloid protege he tried and failed to hand the reins of our program over to. 

My God. There really still are Charlie apologists after all. Even after the fucking mountains of evidence that show was a complete incompetent coach he is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Show your work

Here is a Link to a list of the ‘Horns on NFL rosters as of yesterday. The burden of proof is on him who would argue with the masses. Use that list to show that Charlie brought in a wave of NFL talent that meaningfully surpassed what had been here in the late Mack years. Or let it drop quietly.

• Like 1

Lol at how this somehow devolves into a discussion about NFL talent. I don't watch Texas to scout who might be good in the NFL. I watch them to cheer for wins. 

Charlie didnt win. I dont care if he put 25 first rounders into the league, and neither should anyone that cares about actual Texas football.

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol at how this somehow devolves into a discussion about NFL talent. I don't watch Texas to scout who might be good in the NFL. I watch them to cheer for wins. 

Charlie didnt win. I dont care if he put 25 first rounders into the league, and neither should anyone that cares about actual Texas football.

only aggy cares about 1st round draft picks and all that bs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Here is a Link to a list of the ‘Horns on NFL rosters as of yesterday. The burden of proof is on him who would argue with the masses. Use that list to show that Charlie brought in a wave of NFL talent that meaningfully surpassed what had been here in the late Mack years. Or let it drop quietly.

From that list:

Guys Charlie didn't have at all: Goodwin, Vaccaro, Tucker, Colt, Okafor, ET, Phillips.

Mack's Guys Charlie had for one season: Swaim, Malcolm Brown, Malcom Brown, Hicks, Diggs.

Mack's Guy(!) Charlie had for two seasons: Ridgeway

Horns drafted in 2017: D'Onta, who Mack almost pissed away, along with his twin.

Two Longhorns drafted in two years, following the historic draft day shutout in 2014.  Please tell me about Mack's great recruiting classes again. 

Charlie's Guys drafted in 2018: Dicko, Poona, Elliott, Connor Williams (first Horn OL drafted since two-thousand-fucking-eight), Holton Hill, Malik (who was cut this week)

Charlie's Guys Drafted in 2019: Boyd, Omenihu

Charlie's Guys who might get drafted in 2020: Locks: Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones; Maybes: Duvernay, Roach, C. Brown, Ehlinger (if he decided to come out, which I highly doubt.)

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

From that list:

Guys Charlie didn't have at all: Goodwin, Vaccaro, Tucker, Colt, Okafor, ET, Phillips.

Mack's Guys Charlie had for one season: Swaim, Malcolm Brown, Malcom Brown, Hicks, Diggs.

Horns drafted in 2017: D'Onta, who Mack almost pissed away, along with his twin.

Two Longhorns drafted in two years, following the historic draft day shutout in 2014.  Please tell me about Mack's great recruiting classes again. 

Charlie's Guys drafted in 2018: Dicko, Poona, Elliott, Connor Williams (first Horn OL drafted since two-thousand-fucking-eight), Holton Hill, Malik (who was cut this week)

Charlie's Guys who might get drafted in 2020: Locks: Collin Johnson, Brandon Jones; Maybes: Duvernay, Roach, C. Brown, Ehlinger (if he decided to come out, which I highly doubt.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

From that list:

So 7 Mack recruits went to the NFL after playing for CS, but the rate of making it to the league went down as CS coached Mack’s guys. You may not appreciate it, but you are making the case I was challenging you to refute.

Okay, sorry y'all, Mack was raking in the talent and developing it to the hilt. Blue chips were not fleeing the state in droves. He didn't not recruit a slew of Heisman QBs to Austin. A beacon of humility, he accepted the limitations of his abilities and maximized his schemes to fit the talents of his players. (Well, he kinda did with Herp-A-Derp, I'll give him that.) He knew and accepted when it was time to leave and did not set Bellmont on fire on his way out of the office. The boosters were unified in their support of his successor because they all believed that Mack's tenure had run its natural course. Why, the whole thing was just as seamless as the changing of the guard in MordNorman.  

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

So 7 Mack recruits went to the NFL after playing for CS, but the rate of making it to the league went down as CS coached Mack’s guys. You may not appreciate it, but you are making the case I was challenging you to refute.

Five of those were gone after one year, and Swaim and Thompson were marginal players at UT and in the pros. Charlie's rate went down because it was stacked toward juniors leaving after year one of Herman. 

• Fuck You 2

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. If you want to watch a Texas team put lots of guys in the pros and still have shitty non-competitive season after shitty non-competitive season, watch men's basketball.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Okay, sorry y'all, Mack was raking in the talent and developing it to the hilt. Blue chips were not fleeing the state in droves. He didn't not recruit a slew of Heisman QBs to Austin. A beacon of humility, he accepted the limitations of his abilities and maximized his schemes to fit the talents of his players. (Well, he kinda did with Herp-A-Derp, I'll give him that.) He knew and accepted when it was time to leave and did not set Bellmont on fire on his way out of the office. The boosters were unified in their support of his successor because they all believed that Mack's tenure had run its natural course. Why, the whole thing was just as seamless as the changing of the guard in MordNorman.  

If you want to argue about who was worse, Charlie Strong or late-era Mack, you go ahead and enjoy yourself. Sounds fun.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Straw man

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Five of those were gone after one year, and Swaim and Thompson were marginal players at UT and in the pros. Charlie's rate went down because it was stacked toward juniors leaving after year one of Herman. 

You have a belief which from the inside you seem unable to explain and from the outside it seems impossible to understand. When numbers contradict your arguments, the numbers don’t tell the story because X. When trends appear to contradict your theory, you have an alternate explanation. When you find that everyone is failing to understand the truth except you, there are two broad categories of explanation. (1) You are, compared to the graduate-level educated crowd in which you find yourself, uniquely perceptive, or (2) you are in error. Consider that even smart guys sometimes believe their own interpretations past when they should have been put aside. And that behavior (though not necessarily by particularly bright people) is a cardinal feature of aggy, SEC apologists, and BC of SP+ fame.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

LMAO.  As weak as Mack’s NFL talent was at the end, it was still more than Charlie’s.  We had 5 guys drafted after Charlie’s first season, including a 1st rounder in Malcom Brown.  I guarantee there will never be a draft in which 5 Charlie Strong recruits are drafted from Texas.  He also likely will produce zero 1st round picks.  

Dude, he's already had six go in one draft, and Collin Johnson projects as a first-rounder. 

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Straw man

You have a belief which from the inside you seem unable to explain and from the outside it seems impossible to understand. When numbers contradict your arguments, the numbers don’t tell the story because X. When trends appear to contradict your theory, you have an alternate explanation. When you find that everyone is failing to understand the truth except you, there are two broad categories of explanation. (1) You are, compared to the graduate-level educated crowd in which you find yourself, uniquely perceptive, or (2) you are in error. Consider that even smart guys sometimes believe their own interpretations past when they should have been put aside. And that behavior (though not necessarily by particularly bright people) is a cardinal feature of aggy, SEC apologists, and BC of SP+ fame.

You have a tendency to cloak thin ideas in thick soups of bland verbiage. 

• Fuck You 3

5 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

We are arguing about which is worse - Herpes Simplex 10 or a banana in the tailpipe. 

Surly on...

Hook'em 

I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe.

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

The O.G. canary in the coal mine being sandwiched by obstinate white knighting.

that's racist

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

At last... we comprehend. You have chosen to compare one coach's entire coaching tenure at the University of Texas (Potato), with the last 3 years or so of another Coach while completely ignoring the complete body of work. Go it.

In the Great State of Texas, we have a name for that phenomena ... it's called ... "aggy."

Congrats MAC, you have managed to out yourself as the type of person who ignore statistics, facts, reason and logic, unilaterally select a scenario which may support a very weak and unsubstantiated argument, and try to make a case based upon the false and fraudulent scenario.

We await your next "whoop," or act of inflagrante delecto with a barnyard animal with amused condescension.

aggy you are ... aggy you shall always be.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh ok.  With that logic, Mack Brown gets to count Desmond Harrison, Robert Timmons, Robert Joseph, Erik Hardeman and a slew of other guys who did not get drafted from Texas but who should have been drafted if they hadn’t screwed up.  Wow, what an amazing collection of Not NFL Draft Picks he assembled!  Great coaching!

Um, no, because none of those guys ever so much as sniffed the NFL. 

I'm glad Charlie is gone but let's not forget a couple of things about Mack in his last year's here:

1. Remember when Mack told recruits to pick another school, during a fucking team banquet, because he wouldn't be at Texas. 

2. When Earl Campbell suggested it might be time to go with Head Coach, Mack told him he was "still welcome" around the program. Earl Fucking Campbell

3. Missed on every Heisman QB coming out of Texas because he thought they were fucking DB's. 

4. Was still being paid fuck you money while not doing shit for The University. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Not even the mother fucking Imperial Japanese officers on Saipan could fall on their swords the way you do for fucking chuckles.

Actually, the Longhorn coach with the second-worst record was killed by the Japanese on Iwo Jima. Charlie got off kind of easy with his $25M, though CompletelyARetard feels that Charlie got a raw deal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mack did get us an Alamo Bowl win vs Oregon State - David Ash, prior to his concussion problems. Then beat both paper clip and aggy with Colt’s little bro.

Back when I was a kid, if UT only had three wins in a season - OU, Arky, and aggy, it was a “decent” season. If that did happen, it usually guarantees 8-9 wins at a minimum.

14 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

I'm glad Charlie is gone but let's not forget a couple of things about Mack in his last year's here:

1. Remember when Mack told recruits to pick another school, during a fucking team banquet, because he wouldn't be at Texas. 

2. When Earl Campbell suggested it might be time to go with Head Coach, Mack told him he was "still welcome" around the program. Earl Fucking Campbell

3. Missed on every Heisman QB coming out of Texas because he thought they were fucking DB's. 

4. Was still being paid fuck you money while not doing shit for The University. 

Doesn't make Chucklefuck a better coach. Less of an asshole? Probably.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'm out. I've said my piece on this topic and am just banging my head against the wall here. Carry on with the Charlie hate and the bizarre Mack Cult that seems to be resurrecting amongst you. I'll be on other boards and hopefully enjoying another ten-plus win season. 

You can see MAC's future work on texags.com.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'm out. I've said my piece on this topic and am just banging my head against the wall here. Carry on with the Charlie hate and the bizarre Mack Cult that seems to be resurrecting amongst you. I'll be on other boards and hopefully enjoying another ten-plus win season. 

Give it up dude. Charlie is a shitty head coach who had lucky timing with Bridgewater at Louisville and put up much better records there than he did anywhere else. It’s ok to be wrong. Admit it and move on. 

• Like 3