So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I gave Chuck a chance through South Bend. Then I had seen enough, but was supportive of the team, watching every game of idiocy and confusion.  

Yeah...after the Arky game to end the '14 season (maybe the worst game I've witnessed in person) and then the ND game to open the '15 season (which was equally terrible), I had pretty much lost faith that Strong was going to be successful. Losing those two games was one thing; but to be so utterly and completely disorganized and awful, after bowl practices and then an entire offseason, pretty much destroyed my faith in the guy. I mean - it looked like they hadn't practiced leading up to those games. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah...after the Arky game to end the '14 season (maybe the worst game I've witnessed in person) and then the ND game to open the '15 season (which was equally terrible), I had pretty much lost faith that Strong was going to be successful. Losing those two games was one thing; but to be so utterly and completely disorganized and awful, after bowl practices and then an entire offseason, pretty much destroyed my faith in the guy. I mean - it looked like they hadn't practiced leading up to those games. 

Ashamed to say I still had hope until the Ok State 3 blocked PAT game

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I still stand by my opinion that if Charlie'd had David Ash to play out his years, he might have been our coach for an extra couple years

I’ll stand by my opinion that he knew the QB room was fragile and refused to go get transfer quarterbacks like OUsux has, and that’s another reason he’s a shitty coach. 

• Like 1

You just described Tom Herman.

Tom Herman hired Tim Beck to run the offense, Warehime as OL coach, and brought in Stan Drayton to turbofuck the RB room. The jury is out on the defensive staff that is here and I think everyone agrees there's a definite imbalance in terms of allocation of resources to the offensive vs defensive sides - assistant slots, analysts, etc. Give Herman credit for correcting two of the four, particularly for landing Herb Hand, but his staff management has been far from top notch.

Tom Herman was brought in because he was the hot name, but also because he had the opposite background of Charlie Strong - offensive guy, mensa shitick, etc. Coaching searches often end at the other end of the spectrum from what they're replacing. I'd wager you could say the majority of HCs were "hired because of who he wasn't."

Charlie Strong seemed like a pretty good option at the time given the info available. He wasn't and he was gone in three years for a reason. Herman has established himself here, the culture has changed and the program is in the best shape it's been in for some time. Move on and enjoy the present.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bullshit. I was actually one of the first people to advocate for Strong’s hire on shaggy but that’s ok because my area of expertise is not football or hiring football coaches. He looked good to the dipshit masses like me.

Meanwhile, OU figures out who can really coach (post Blake) and picks up Stoops and Riley. It is entirely possible to figure out who really knows what they’re doing in coaching. Unfortunately, Patterson was such a moron he effed us in basketball and football because he hired the name that looked good on paper, instead of figuring out who could really coach.

They might. UConn is about as bad a team as USF but with fewer talented but clueless football players. I expect USF to win that one with Charlie's magic retard strength, a la beating OU in 2015. 

Very racist.

And Charlie's magic retard strength won't work on Uconn as unlike OU, Uconn aren't magic retards so Charlie's strength is useless against them.

Meanwhile back in College Station, land of Swanny...

0ce4e9b6f6d741f1e255c234bb6be2e8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In hindsight we should’ve looked at the blank reaction on his face during the UCLA coin toss debacle. No disgust, no sense of urgency. We should’ve know right then. 

He was a deer in the headlights from the introductory press conference on

12 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Charlie Strong also beat OU. Herman needs to do it again... So far he is 1-2 vs OU just like Strong was. Again tap the fucking brakes he is not some infallible god yet.  The only real accomplishment was beating Georgia so far.

No, he is not.  Herman isn't Jesus, but he is 1-1 in RRS.  The closest Charlie sniffed the Big 12 CCG is Bert's unwashed jock in Reliant.

• Like 3

As it turned out, it would have paid to have listened to him. Like it or not successful people are successful for a reason. In this case it appears that Red was spot on.

Except he wanted Jon Gruden. Lot of successful people got lucky and go senile. The list of suckers duped by Theronos and Elizabeth Holmes is distinguished.

If you’re having a bad day, go watch some of our games from the Charlie Strong years and compare them to today. It wasn’t that long ago that we were suffering through that shit. And that’s what it was. SHIT. Those were shit teams coached by a shit coach. 

We have a ways to go with Herman, but we’re improving. We’re going to be really good by the end of the year.

If you’re having a bad day, go watch some of our games from the Charlie Strong years and compare them to today. It wasn’t that long ago that we were suffering through that shit. And that’s what it was. SHIT. Those were shit teams coached by a shit coach. 

We have a ways to go with Herman, but we’re improving. We’re going to be really good by the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Just now, Bookman said:

Say it again.

Oh hell naw. Naw to the max. I'd rather go to Magic Kingdom and ride it's a small world for 6 hours straight, then watch runaway bride and 27 dresses and then watch the SW prequels.
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 7:52 AM, Slade said:

1-4 - I was thinking "well ok, that sucks but first year it'll take some time to iron it out"

#5 - I was thinking "holy shit, what the fuck? 59 yards after all of the bowl preparation". That's when I officially became worried.

#6 - I remember Burt's awesome catch in the beginning of the game and nothing else, tequila. I do remember watching how pissed Ricky was in the postgame though.  

#10 - The 3 blocked XPs were so ridiculous it was silly. That's one I couldn't even be mad at, I was like "fuck it". I actually started laughing at the absurdity of the spectacle. I think that's the one that broke me, I went from being pissed to not giving a shit. 

By the time we got to #11 on that list I wasn't angry anymore, it was more like a quiet reservation. The loss to Kansas felt like the moment when you're holding your dog one final time as the vet puts the needle in his arm, that was the death knell of Charlie at Texas. 

Looking back, I don't know how the fuck we managed to keep our sanity during that stretch. 

Alcohol helped.  When Notre Dame blocked our extra point and returned it for two to tie the game, that’s when I started to buy into the fact that strong was not the coach we needed at Texas.  By the Okie State game with all the blocked extra points and one being returned for two, I knew then and there the Charlie Strong era was over.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, CurlyDumps said:

I’m usually a bit bummed during the bye week with no game to look forward to, but I’m anticipating SMU/USF almost as much as a Texas game.  Hope Shane throws for 300+ and 4+ TD’s.

13-14-164-3-0 so far.  But not sure he'll play the last quarter and a half at this rate.  

What's Charlie's buyout again?  

• Like 1

Imagine if we didn't lose to Kansas.  This fraud of a coach may still have been here for another year or two.  Steve Patterson should never be allowed to be in charge or any team, company, or organization.  Now it makes sense why every fucking AD passed on Strong after he interviewed.  It's because he's a fucking terrible coach and I'm sure anyone with half a brain saw that he was going to be way in over his head.  But not Steve fucking Patterson.  He gave him 25 mil.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Imagine if we didn't lose to Kansas.  This fraud of a coach may still have been here for another year or two.  Steve Patterson should never be allowed to be in charge or any team, company, or organization.  Now it makes sense why every fucking AD passed on Strong after he interviewed.  It's because he's a fucking terrible coach and I'm sure anyone with half a brain saw that he was going to be way in over his head.  But not Steve fucking Patterson.  He gave him 25 mil.

Patterson fucked over two teams with that hire. Because we owed Charlie so much money over the last two years of his contract, USF thought they would get a bargain by hiring him on our dime. Now they're stuck.

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Can we hire Major Applewhite?

Houston may not like 8 win seasons, but I’d be cool with having a few.

—Post game thread before the game is over.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/9/28/20888962/postgame-haiku-smu-football-usf-fire-everyone-charlie-strong

Damn, it’s not often you see an SB Nation blog go nuclear like that. They mad.

It's kind of amazing how bad Charlie is. He has to know something about coaching after all those years, doesn't he? Surely Urban Meyer wouldn't have let a complete idiot hang around.

And yet here we are. Some might have thought Charlie's resume was potentially suspect when he came here, but between us and USF, he now looks like a complete fraud.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I wish I could pos rep this post by a million. Red was so fucking right about Strong. I wouldn’t even hire him as a DC. Game has passed him by and he never had the chops to be a HC

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1