When Tommy Coached Kirby

sushihorn

38 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

In 2014 Tom Herman’s offense schooled Kirby Smart’s defense in the National Championship Game.  After Herman took the HC job at UH, Kirby called him and asked for help.  TH and his new DC Todd Orlando agreed to a sit down.

The things Smart got from that meeting caused him to totally revamp his defense.  There’s a story on 247sports that makes an interesting read.

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Kirby-Smarts-defenses-have-evolved-since-the-dinosaur-age-120070729/

Some of our fans may mock Tom Herman as “Mensa” but the guys in the business know how smart he really is.  Even guys regarded as defensive "gurus" seek Herman's help.  Perhaps he’s regretting helping Kirby right now but Herman is always thinking and adjusting.  And he'll know exactly what he's up against.

For any Georgia fans out there that think Kirby Smart is going to outscheme Herman and Orlando I invite you to consider that Kirby already asked for lessons once.  Do you really think Tom Herman and Todd Orlando told him everything and they’ve thought of nothing new since then?

Some of you will be interested in a really deep dive into the changes Kirby Smart made as a result of this meeting.  You should check out the article detailing Smart's appearance at this years THSCA Conference.

https://matchquarters.com/2018/07/27/thsca-football-lecture-kirby-smart-2018/

Emory Bellard schooled Switzer in the wishbone. Who won after that?

No one here thinks Smart will out-scheme us. The worry is he'll out-talent us, because he has the players to do so. There's nothing especially creative about Georgia's offense, the worry is that their guys will beat our guys straight-up at the LOS and you can't really scheme around something like that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Any Georgia fans who think Kirby can outscheme a potato should just watch that fake punt play against Alabama again.  Then they should come to terms with the fact that their head coach is a glorified bag man and put corks on the ends of his forks so he won’t accidentally hurt himself or others.

Listen to this man...he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Any Georgia fans who think Kirby can outscheme a potato should just watch that fake punt play against Alabama again.  Then they should come to terms with the fact that their head coach is a glorified bag man and put corks on the ends of his forks so he won’t accidentally hurt himself or others.

Ruprecht?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

17 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Ruprecht?

LcTxR7u1XKaa3e4T1EBuBP18JezPvjFFo8gNuE9C

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

No one here thinks Smart will out-scheme us. The worry is he'll out-talent us, because he has the players to do so. There's nothing especially creative about Georgia's offense, the worry is that their guys will beat our guys straight-up at the LOS and you can't really scheme around something like that.

So, I guess LSU out-talented Georgia this year? The same LSU that gave up 74 to aggy? I guess U of H out-talented Florida State in the 2015 Peach Bowl?

You are right though...playing against talented teams just scares you to death.

• Like 1

I can tell you this, there will be plenty of talent on both sides in the stands for this one.

And later on all that talent will be staggering around the Quarter with horribly bad, extremely expensive, high octane beverages in tow.

Don't let me down fellas.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sushihorn said:

The dinosaur age of Smart’s defense involved stopping 21 personnel and two-back sets. That’s what Hightower and Cody were built for. In the age of three and four-wide sets, Atkins and Smith represented an evolution. The recruiting prototype for Smart changed from big run stuffers to more agile prospects capable of running in space

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Kirby-Smarts-defenses-have-evolved-since-the-dinosaur-age-120070729/

This reminds me of something Greg Davis said after the 2009 game against bama.   Something about the game plan was to throw the ball 40 to 50 times.  It's just interesting because that loss caused mack to attempt to change his offense, when had colt stayed in and torched them, maybe it makes Saban change his defense 5 years sooner.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I mostly wrote that for the masses of casual fans that read stuff from ESPN or newspaper web sites.  When I looked for analysis of Kirby Smart after the bowl match up was announced, it was shocking how many articles led with words like genius, guru, master and wizard.  I doubt the Surly crowd would think that but there's little question that the average UGa fan thinks that way.

Edited by sushihorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say Tom Herman did it again tonight.

Based on recruiting rankings, Georgia was at least 10-12 spots ahead of Texas and Herman lost quite a bit of talent in the transition.  Based on the Vegas line, Georgia was a 2 TD favorite.  Even without the turnovers, Tom Herman's Texas Longhorns more than held their own against a team that looked clearly superior on paper.

Kirby was a sometimes very good DC, I didn't think he was a genius. He is a great recruiter but the jury is still out on him as a great head coach, and I haven't seen anything to convince me he is. Was Mel tucker still on Georgias sideline? He is usually on the sideline instead of the booth. Looked like Kirby was calling the defense, if so UGA got Kirbyed. He is great at giving up 3rd and longs, although Texas didn't get in too many of them. Georgia got straight up whipped. Oklahoma may be looking up at a new conference standard bearer as early as next season.

1 hour ago, bornbama1 said:

Kirby was a sometimes very good DC, I didn't think he was a genius. He is a great recruiter but the jury is still out on him as a great head coach, and I haven't seen anything to convince me he is. Was Mel tucker still on Georgias sideline? He is usually on the sideline instead of the booth. Looked like Kirby was calling the defense, if so UGA got Kirbyed. He is great at giving up 3rd and longs, although Texas didn't get in too many of them. Georgia got straight up whipped. Oklahoma may be looking up at a new conference standard bearer as early as next season.

Yeah, about that...

After re-watching the game, I'm going to say that Kirby hasn't been out coached that badly since the last time he faced Tom Herman.  That scripted first drive was a thing of beauty.  TH KNEW that Georgia would come out fired up and exploited their over-aggressive play with misdirection.  Once they were made to look foolish and doubting their reads and keys that took that starch out of the Georgia defense and they were already halfway beaten.

Once Texas got them into reactive mode, Herman started channeling Bill Snyder and running the old single wing plays with pulling linemen slamming into stationary defenders.  So first confuse them and confuse them what's coming next.  Then physically beat them and convince them that even if they know what's coming, they can't stop it.  That completed the process of demoralization.  See the Sam's final TD where the RB takes the DE, drives him 6-7 yards back and plants him on his ass.

The biggest defensive surprise was a steady diet of heavy 4 DL packages.  They would never do that against 90% of the Big XII.   Clearly Orlando and Herman were more concerned about the ground game than any passing threat from Fromm and they were absolutely correct.  Fromm had 10 chances to convert 3rd and >1.  He got 2 1st downs, a sack and an interception out of that.  Fromm was a liability when Texas could see him coming.  4 DL, 2 LBs who could attack the run downhill and disguised run support from the secondary - especially CBs acting to force the play inside put a choke hold on the Georgia running game.

UGa has 296 yards, a new season low for their offense.  They were at 172 yds through 3 quarters and 236 through 59 minutes of play.  Texas was happy to trade them those last 60 yards to burn up the clock.  Georgia's running game averaged almost 250 yards this season and went over 150 vs Bama.  They gained 72 vs Texas.  That was the definition of domination.

That was a coaching clinic put on by the Longhorns on both sides of the ball.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, sushihorn said:

After re-watching the game, I'm going to say that Kirby hasn't been out coached that badly since the last time he faced Tom Herman.  That scripted first drive was a thing of beauty.  TH KNEW that Georgia would come out fired up and exploited their over-aggressive play with misdirection.  Once they were made to look foolish and doubting their reads and keys that took that starch out of the Georgia defense and they were already halfway beaten.

Once Texas got them into reactive mode, Herman started channeling Bill Snyder and running the old single wing plays with pulling linemen slamming into stationary defenders.  So first confuse them and confuse them what's coming next.  Then physically beat them and convince them that even if they know what's coming, they can't stop it.  That completed the process of demoralization.  See the Sam's final TD where the RB takes the DE, drives him 6-7 yards back and plants him on his ass.

The biggest defensive surprise was a steady diet of heavy 4 DL packages.  They would never do that against 90% of the Big XII.   Clearly Orlando and Herman were more concerned about the ground game than any passing threat from Fromm and they were absolutely correct.  Fromm had 10 chances to convert 3rd and >1.  He got 2 1st downs, a sack and an interception out of that.  Fromm was a liability when Texas could see him coming.  4 DL, 2 LBs who could attack the run downhill and disguised run support from the secondary - especially CBs acting to force the play inside put a choke hold on the Georgia running game.

UGa has 296 yards, a new season low for their offense.  They were at 172 yds through 3 quarters and 236 through 59 minutes of play.  Texas was happy to trade them those last 60 yards to burn up the clock.  Georgia's running game averaged almost 250 yards this season and went over 150 vs Bama.  They gained 72 vs Texas.  That was the definition of domination.

That was a coaching clinic put on by the Longhorns on both sides of the ball.

This will likely be the same gameplan for LSU and it will work because that outside Aranda, that staff isn't a strong X and O staff.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, longhornmatt said:

Missed this thread first time round.  Good stuff, but this is special for bringing Ruprecht to mind:

773e3-6a00d8341dbac353ef0133f369b473970b

Oklahoma Oklahoma Oklahoma.