2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

2 hours ago, Satchel said:
1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You guys are just going to love the SEC.

I'm not.  We have plenty of these types already in the SWC Big 12, but it's oh so much worse in the SEC.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not.  We have plenty of these types already in the SWC Big 12, but it's oh so much worse in the SEC.

The current Big 12 has 15 Republican Senators and 1 sorta Democrat Senator and all of the states represented voted for Trump. 7 GOP governors and 1 Dem governor. Of course, the Big 12 will look a lot better when Arizona and Colorado join the fray and add 2 Dem governor, 4 Dem senators and 2 state votes for Biden  

Current SEC has 20 GOP senators and 2 Dem Senators, and 1 state voted for Biden. 9 GOP governors and 2 Dem governors. OU adds another GOP governor, another state that voted Trump and 2 more GOP senators 

Makes you think

Edited by Js1

I found out all I need to know about SEC fans in Omaha two years ago. Complete trash. MSU fans piss drunk and getting ejected around a bunch of kids. Piggy fan getting up in my face yelling and doing horns down nearly got knocked out reflexively. I wasn't mad, it was just so aggressive and sudden. And Arkansas didn't even make it to Omaha.

Every other fan base was cool as shit, and it's Omaha not football vs a rival.

I hate the move, but $$$.

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Piggy fan getting up in my face yelling and doing horns down nearly got knocked out reflexively. I wasn't mad, it was just so aggressive and sudden

Lots of this in Tuscaloosa from the youngins. It was more amusing than anything, but aggressive and sudden is a good description. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This whole shutdown is literally because Gaetz hates McCarthy.  

And because McCarthy is too much of a chickenshit MAGA to try to build anything resembling a coalition with Dems.  The GQP is, AT BEST, a spineless hostage of low-IQ, zero-integrity grifting terrorists, or -- and I think this is more accurate -- a terrorist movement from top to bottom, with some of the terrorists being breathtakingly stupid and others being breathtaking cowards in suits.

• Hook 'Em 3

Kevin is willing to "end" the shutdown IF and ONLY IF, Dems agree to 4 border items.  I don't need to tell you how this will go:

1. The Border Wall must be completed.
  2. Reforms on who can seek asylum and where.
  3. Remain in Mexico policy must be reinstated.
  4. A commitment that Cartels and Drugs must be cracked down on must be made.

not gonna happen donald trump GIF by Election 2016

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Kevin is willing to "end" the shutdown IF and ONLY IF, Dems agree to 4 border items.  I don't need to tell you how this will go:

not gonna happen donald trump GIF by Election 2016

This is exactly why they can't let the border go.  It's more valuable to them as a boogie man than a solution.  

I promise the last thing GOP cunts want to fix is the border.  

How else are they going to get a South African racist who's shaped like a mayonnaise bottle with a goatee that 8th graders would laugh at to put a cowboy hat on backwards and rile up his legion of incels.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

This is exactly why they can't let the border go.  It's more valuable to them as a boogie man than a solution.  

I promise the last thing GOP cunts want to fix is the border.  

How else are they going to get a South African racist who's shaped like a mayonnaise bottle with a goatee that 8th graders would laugh at to put a cowboy hat on backwards and rile up his legion of incels.

The bold is literally all they have to offer anymore. In Oklahoma its about drag queens and "indoctrinating kids" by teaching true history that makes white people uncomfortable. I hate these people with a burning passion. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

This whole shutdown is literally because Gaetz hates McCarthy.  

Nope.

It's because McCarthy didn't have the balls to say "fuck you" we can go to 63 votes on the initial speaker election.  But the one thing that is certain is that McCarthy will go down as one of the most cowardly speakers in the nations history.  Just like he flew down to kiss Trumps ring.  Him being speaker is simply more important the entire United States government.  HE is a cow, not a bull, so he can't lead.

What sucks is we got great inflation news today and the markets started to move upwards. But the children who added $8 trillion to the debt in 4 years now want to damage the economy.  They are fucking children! Fuck when was the last time the Republicans actually solved a big problem nationally?  When was the last time they even made a proposal that could even remotely possibly pass on anything big?  Just whine, and whine, and spend and spend, the cry about the spending. Repeated again and again.  Hell, I've been waiting 30 years to hear about their healthcare plan!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hopefully I can ask this with a bit of amnesty, but what's wrong with these requests/demands?

I mean #1 is a bit of a boondoggle that I don't think is even physically feasible, but I think some sort of enhancement to border security could be agreed to.  The others don't seem that crazy.

I mean personally, I'm for the legalization of all drugs, but I understand that's not happening anytime soon, so I understand #3 in that context.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Hopefully I can ask this with a bit of amnesty, but what's wrong with these requests/demands?

I mean #1 is a bit of a boondoggle that I don't think is even physically feasible, but I think some sort of enhancement to border security could be agreed to.  The others don't seem that crazy.

I mean personally, I'm for the legalization of all drugs, but I understand that's not happening anytime soon, so I understand #3 in that context.

On the drug front, I've got an idea....we could create a whole new agency to enforce our drug laws.  Like, an enforcement agency, for drugs. A drug enforcement agency.  And they will focus super-hard on attacking the drug issue, legally.  They'll attack the problem so hard, it'll be like a war, a war on drugs.  Anyway, that's my idea.  We should do that.  I'm 100% certain that it will work, and drugs will lose and go away forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's all symbolic and meant to demonize immigrants. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the overriding reason it's nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

After watching McCarthy’s conformation process and vote, I’ve concluded that he could be one of the weakest speakers in history. 

I mean, I cannot claim to be a student of history just merely an armchair qb of history, but if anyone has been weaker then it's remarkable this country still exists.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's not the migrants who are bringing in the drugs though, so connecting those two issues doesn't make sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's all symbolic and meant to demonize immigrants. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the overriding reason it's nonsense. 

If that's really it then I think the Dems should just do it.

The people who are going to demonize immigrants are already demonizing immigrants.  I don't see agreeing to these turning large swaths of Dems and Independents against immigrants.  But it might take away one of the biggest talking points the Pubs have...Biden's "open border" policy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, bolverk said:

It's not the migrants who are bringing in the drugs though, so connecting those two issues doesn't make sense.

I agree, but as @Brisketexan pointed out, we already doing this with the DEA, so what's that harm in agreeing to, checks notes, keep doing it.

I'm probably just being a bit naive.  Or perhaps, I was just conditioned to assumed the GQP demands would be way more outrageous, so these seem pretty tame.  

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

I agree, but as @Brisketexan pointed out, we already doing this with the DEA, so what's that harm in agreeing to, checks notes, keep doing it.

I'm probably just being a bit naive.  Or perhaps, I was just conditioned to assumed the GQP demands would be way more outrageous, so these seem pretty tame.  

Devil will be in the details.  And a lot of devils, of that I'm confident.

• Hook 'Em 1

Immigration is easy to fix in my opinion. We have work, the places they're coming from don't. Show up at the border with paperwork to prove your identity. You then get a card that allows you to be here so long as you check in every six months. After 7 years if you're working and stayed out of trouble, you can apply for citizenship. You only get deported if you commit crimes or are otherwise fucking around. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

McCarthy should have presented some bills with his new and ever evolving demands.  The border is a mess.  But the GOP has blocked funding of judges that could more quickly handle asylum cases and folks would not be here for years without a hearing.  But... they needed tax cuts for millionaires

The funny thing about the Drug Cartels, is that we gave them idea of becoming heavily armed, and dominating regios, and later countries.  We sent arms and created militias in South and Central American during the Reagan and Bush administrations that lit the candle for today's cartels.  Once the CIA money dried up, there was a profitable business for the taking.  We supply so many fucking guns that originate in the US to the cartels, but that's not something the GOP can talk about.  Plus as far as the Cartels go we had a fantastically forward thinking Republican policy when the war on drugs began.  And it's so simple!   .... wait for it......             "Just say No!"  

Immigration was the lowest when Obama was in fucking office!  Because there were 8 years of forward thinking policy that was aimed at trying to work with the countries that refugees were fleeing, to help keep them there.

As for "the wall" why didn't the GOP fund it when they were adding Trillions annually to the debt? Because they don't give a fuck about it, except to cry about their not funding in and blaming... you guessed it the Dems.  Hell White Supremacist Orange Jesus didn't build even 100 miles of new wall... but... dems fault!

The GOP house is most akin to a 4th or 5th grade student government.  They just can't do a fucking thing about anything!  Just whine...

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The spending cuts are the worst parts imo.

The bill failed by a vote of 198-232, with 21 Republicans joining all Democrats to defeat it.  

The measure, which would have kept government funding flowing at vastly reduced levels — cutting spending to most domestic programs by nearly 30 percent — and impose stringent immigration restrictions demanded by conservatives, would not have prevented a shutdown even if it had passed the House, because it was considered dead on arrival in the Democratic-controlled Senate.

Here’s what else to know:

• Mr. McCarthy’s allies have defended his strategy as a way to show the public that he tried to keep the government open, but was foiled by a handful of his far-right members. But the defeat on the House floor was a devastating blow for Mr. McCarthy, whose job is on the line and who has been unable to corral his tiny majority to agree on a measure to head off a meltdown.
  • The Republican plan that was blocked on Friday would have kept the government open for 30 days and impose drastic cuts across the board to government programs, except for funding for veterans, homeland security and disaster response. It does not include any military or humanitarian aid for Ukraine, and it would direct the homeland security secretary to resume “all activities related to the construction of the border wall” at the southern border that were in place under former President Donald J. Trump.
  • The defeat left the House in an exceedingly weak position to negotiate with the Senate, which is moving ahead with its own, bipartisan short-term funding plan. That bill would continue spending at current levels for six weeks and provide $6 billion in aid to Ukraine and $6 billion for natural disaster relief at home.

Just now, 'stache said:

Immigration is easy to fix in my opinion. We have work, the places they're coming from don't. Show up at the border with paperwork to prove your identity. You then get a card that allows you to be here so long as you check in every six months. After 7 years if you're working and stayed out of trouble, you can apply for citizenship. You only get deported if you commit crimes or are otherwise fucking around. 

The clowns clamoring for border security do not want a solution for immigration. They want to dramatize the problem in order to increase donations. Solving the problem would hurt them. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Here's the list of the 21 Goppers who rebelled against McCarthy with Texas reps bolded.

Andy Biggs
Arizona 5th

Dan Bishop
North Carolina 8th

Lauren Boebert
Colorado 3rd

Ken Buck
Colorado 4th

Tim Burchett
Tennessee 2nd

Eric Burlison
Missouri 7th

Michael Cloud
Texas 27th

Eli Crane
Arizona 2nd

Matt Gaetz
Florida 1st

Paul Gosar
Arizona 9th

Marjorie Taylor Greene
Georgia 14th

Wesley Hunt
Texas 38th

Nancy Mace
South Carolina 1st

Mary Miller
Illinois 15th

Cory Mills
Florida 7th

Alex X. Mooney
West Virginia 2nd

Barry Moore
Alabama 2nd

Troy Nehls
Texas 22nd

Andy Ogles
Tennessee 5th

Matt Rosendale
Montana 2nd

Keith Self
Texas 3rd

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The clowns clamoring for border security do not want a solution for immigration. They want to dramatize the problem in order to increase donations. Solving the problem would hurt them. 

Yeah, that's the sideshow distraction. The real one, again, is the draconian spending cuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, that's the sideshow distraction. The real one, again, is the draconian spending cuts.

If they want spending cuts, I propose 100% spending cuts for each of their districts.  They don't want federal spending?  Don't accept any.  Easy-peasy.  I'd draft up a bill saying as much: "All of the following agencies will expend $0 in the following geographic areas: Alabama House districts X, Y, and Z; Arkansas House districts....etc. etc."  Back it up, bitches.  But it's cool, those folks can still pay taxes and still get their money's worth.  We'll earmark all of the tax dollars paid from within those districts for the military.

• Hook 'Em 3

That's more like what I was expecting.  @Js1's list was just bait.

They do this every shutdown. They pair massive spending cuts with draconian border policies to try and get their way. They keep failing miserably and eventually cave. 

I’m sorry you’re so upset by McCarthy and the House GOP’s demands that you get mad at me. That is who they are. I’m just reporting what it being reported. 

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

The current Big 12 has 15 Republican Senators and 1 sorta Democrat Senator and all of the states represented voted for Trump. 7 GOP governors and 1 Dem governor. Of course, the Big 12 will look a lot better when Arizona and Colorado join the fray and add 2 Dem governor, 4 Dem senators and 2 state votes for Biden  

Current SEC has 20 GOP senators and 2 Dem Senators, and 1 state voted for Biden. 9 GOP governors and 2 Dem governors. OU adds another GOP governor, another state that voted Trump and 2 more GOP senators 

Makes you think

8c9b217b-6ef6-4168-913a-152fe50d5057_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They do this every shutdown. They pair massive spending cuts with draconian border policies to try and get their way. They keep failing miserably and eventually cave. 

I’m sorry you’re so upset by McCarthy and the House GOP’s demands that you get mad at me. That is who they are. I’m just reporting what it being reported. 

Yeah, the border stuff is to just rile up the base to get them on board and distract them from the spending that will hurt their constituents who are reliant on federal spending.

Do you know how much a complete border wall would coats.

Do you want one running through BBNP?

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

If that's really it then I think the Dems should just do it.

The people who are going to demonize immigrants are already demonizing immigrants.  I don't see agreeing to these turning large swaths of Dems and Independents against immigrants.  But it might take away one of the biggest talking points the Pubs have...Biden's "open border" policy. 

Biden already worked a deal for enhanced border security, and got Mexico to contribute $1.5 billion to it. Republicans just choose to ignore it 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2