NFL coaching carousel thread

Machinator

From SI:

• Redskins general manager Bruce Allen reportedly suggested Jay Gruden will retrun as head coach next season.

• Panthers coach Ron Rivera has reportedly been told he'll be back with Carolina in 2019.

• Jaguars owner Shad Khan announced that general manager Dave Caldwell, head coach Doug Marrone and executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin will return to the team next season.

• The Cardinals are reportedly unlikely to retain Steve Wilks as head coach after the season.

• Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, considered an NFL intriguing coaching candidate, told reporters that coaching in the NFL isn't a "burning desire" of his right now.

• The Packers will reportedly target Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald for their head-coach vacancy.

• The Browns are reportedly "seriously considering" elevating interim head coach Gregg Williams to full-time head coach.

• The Jets are reportedly planning to fire head coach Todd Bowles at the end of the regular season.

• The Panthers are expected to retain head coach Ron Rivera at the end of the season.

• The Jets denied a report claiming they are interested in pursuing Michigan's Jim Harbaugh for a potential head-coaching position.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Cleveland (Hue) and Packers (McCarthy) already have openings, Bucs will join them.

CSB

Was at a Sun Devil fundraiser while he was the Devil's HC.  I never really liked Koetter and I had won a silent auction bid for a logo football that was perfect for autographs.  I walked up to Frank Kush who had a sharpie and I asked Kush to sign.  He did.  Koetter then grabbed the ball and, before I could say "Nooooooo" he signed it too.

Always pissed me off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

“Target”? Only in the broadest sense of the word. They haven’t even interviewed him. They have simply requested to interview him. 

Fitz is set for life in Evanston. He'd be crazy to take another job, especially in the NFL. I don't even see him using it as leverage for a pay raise which he'll likely get anyway for winning the division. The school has shown an amazing commitment to him and the program, pouring a ton of money into new facilities. They may not be able to make him the highest paid coach but he's got job security like no one else in the profession. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fitz is set for life in Evanston. He'd be crazy to take another job, especially in the NFL. I don't even see him using it as leverage for a pay raise which he'll likely get anyway for winning the division. The school has shown an amazing commitment to him and the program, pouring a ton of money into new facilities. They may not be able to make him the highest paid coach but he's got job security like no one else in the profession. 

That’s my thought too. He’s not leaving. 

3 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

CSB

Was at a Sun Devil fundraiser while he was the Devil's HC.  I never really liked Koetter and I had won a silent auction bid for a logo football that was perfect for autographs.  I walked up to Frank Kush who had a sharpie and I asked Kush to sign.  He did.  Koetter then grabbed the ball and, before I could say "Nooooooo" he signed it too.

Always pissed me off.

Same thing happened to me and Jerry Jones. I was at one of his interviews when the Cowboys were holding training camp in my hometown of Wichita Falls, and I got Emmitt Smith to sign, he passed it to George Teague, who then ruined it by passing it to Jerry Jones. I'm not even a Cowboys fan, but that motherfucker ruined my football. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

This would be a dumb move. 

6 weeks ago, I would say “This makes sense.”, but after watching the Browns since Gregg Williams & the QB Coach became the OC, I would think that even the Browns would know better than to “fix” the best coaching setup that they’ve had in decades. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This would be a dumb move. 

6 weeks ago, I would say “This makes sense.”, but after watching the Browns since Gregg Williams & the QB Coach became the OC, I would think that even the Browns would know better than to “fix” the best coaching setup that they’ve had in decades. 

It's like you've never followed the Browns at all. 

Williams would be an attractive DC for a team to pair with Riley.

Packers should hire Jim Schwartz. Rodgers runs the offense anyway and Schwartz is a big enough dickhead to probably handle him and would improve the defense.

Todd Monken probably gets a job, my guess is Arizona.

Vikings would be stupid to let Zimmer go. I think Elway will be all over that

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Same thing happened to me and Jerry Jones. I was at one of his interviews when the Cowboys were holding training camp in my hometown of Wichita Falls, and I got Emmitt Smith to sign, he passed it to George Teague, who then ruined it by passing it to Jerry Jones. I'm not even a Cowboys fan, but that motherfucker ruined my football. 

I've got one with a happier ending....A friend of mine and his buddy somehow got a line on Cubs announcer Harry Caray when they were coming through Houston. They asked him if they could take him out for a beer one night after the game and he seemed game, and told them about some secret exit out of the Dome where they could meet him. My buddy had a baseball with him for to sign, but Caray never showed. Meanwhile, Hall of Fame pitcher Fergie Jenkins and Cubs catcher Jody Davis come ambling out, and my buddy goes running up to Jenkins, asking him sign the ball he had intended for Caray. He obliges graciously, and hands it over to Davis, who was a good player, but hardly great. My buddy snatches it away from Davis and said "Sorry, Jody, Hall of Famers only."

He said Jenkins almost fell on the ground laughing. And then they got talking, exchanged cards and shit, and decades later out of the blue Davis sent him an autographed picture of himself as a friendly fuck you. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've got one with a happier ending....A friend of mine and his buddy somehow got a line on Cubs announcer Harry Caray when they were coming through Houston. They asked him if they could take him out for a beer one night after the game and he seemed game, and told them about some secret exit out of the Dome where they could meet him. My buddy had a baseball with him for to sign, but Caray never showed. Meanwhile, Hall of Fame pitcher Fergie Jenkins and Cubs catcher Jody Davis come ambling out, and my buddy goes running up to Jenkins, asking him sign the ball he had intended for Caray. He obliges graciously, and hands it over to Davis, who was a good player, but hardly great. My buddy snatches it away from Davis and said "Sorry, Jody, Hall of Famers only."

He said Jenkins almost fell on the ground laughing. And then they got talking, exchanged cards and shit, and decades later out of the blue Davis sent him an autographed picture of himself as a friendly fuck you. 

That is absolutely hilarious and epic lol

6 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Williams would be an attractive DC for a team to pair with Riley.

Packers should hire Jim Schwartz. Rodgers runs the offense anyway and Schwartz is a big enough dickhead to probably handle him and would improve the defense.

Todd Monken probably gets a job, my guess is Arizona.

Vikings would be stupid to let Zimmer go. I think Elway will be all over that

Schwartz would not be the answer for Green Bay.

CSB

Always pissed me off.

He was on a plane to Stillwater to be our head coach when ASU called and he turned around and took that offer. We ended up hiring a tight end coach from the Dallas Cowboys named Leslie.

• Machinator changed the title to NFL coaching carousel thread