Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/13/upshot/detailed-timeline-trumps-words-border-wall.html

As a candidate, Donald J. Trump’s language about the southern border was remarkably simple: He would build a great wall, and Mexico would pay for it. He repeated this promise hundreds of times.

But his language has shifted since his election as president, particularly since the government shutdown last month.

Before becoming the Republican nominee, Mr. Trump rarely got into specifics when saying Mexico would pay for a wall; he simply assured his supporters that it would. No issue was more associated with his candidacy than immigration, and the border wall was the centerpiece of that issue.

How Mr. Trump has characterized what else to call the wall besides a “wall”
Aug. 2015 “It's not a fence, Jeb, it's a WALL, and there's a BIG difference!”
Sept. 2015 “Mexico, they all say the fence, first of all, we're gonna build a wall and it's gonna be a real wall, okay.”
Jan. 2017 “On the fence -- it's not a fence. It's a wall. You just misreported it. We're going to build a wall.”
Oct. 2018 “Seoul is 30 miles away from that border. And you talk about a protected border. That's a serious border. That's a wall like you never saw before. [... ] It's a fence with a lot of electric current going through it. ”
Nov. 2018 “Because most of them, if you go back to 2006, they all approved, essentially, a wall -- a very powerful fence -- which is pretty much the same thing. ”
Dec. 2018 “The only thing that's going to stop that is great border security, with a wall, or a slat fence, or whatever you want to call it. ”
Dec. 2018 “the barrier, wall, or steel slats -- whatever you want to call it; it's all the same.”
Dec. 2018 “The crisis of illegal activity at our Southern Border is real and will not stop until we build a great Steel Barrier or Wall. Let work begin!”
Dec. 2018 “I don't want them in the country. The only way you're gonna do it is to have a physical barrier, meaning a wall. ”
Jan. 2019 “So if I have a steel wall -- or you could call it a steel fence -- but it'll be more powerful than any of the concrete walls that we're talking about.”
Jan. 2019 “And this is where I ask the Democrats to come back to Washington, and to vote for money for the wall, the barrier -- whatever you want to call it is okay with me. They can name it whatever. They can name it Peaches. I don't care what they name it. But we need money for that barrier.”
Jan. 2019

“So let me be very clear: We really have no choice but to build a powerful wall or steel barrier. ”

The physical characteristics of Mr. Trump’s wall
Aug. 2015 “This will be a wall with a very big, very beautiful door, because we want the legals to come back into the country.”
Oct. 2015 “We want to have a big, beautiful door right in the middle of that wall, right in the middle of that wall.”
April 2016 “It's so easy, oh, I can just see that beautiful, precast plank. Good solid foundations, nice and high.”
Aug. 2016 “I mean, I built 90-story buildings. Building buildings is tough. Building a wall, boy, is that easy. Pre-cast -- pschoom.”
Sept. 2017 “And we're building samples of the new wall. You know, it has to be a see-through wall. I don't know if you know this, frankly, I didn't know it until about a year ago, as much as I say.”
Sept. 2017 “And I think also to be honest with you, a see-through wall would look better.”
March 2018 “So, we're looking at the walls where you have some -- really some see-through capability. If you don't have some see-through it's a problem.”
Dec. 2018 “The Democrats, are saying loud and clear that they do not want to build a Concrete Wall - but we are not building a Concrete Wall, we are building artistically designed steel slats, so that you can easily see through it....”
Dec. 2018 “The crisis of illegal activity at our Southern Border is real and will not stop until we build a great Steel Barrier or Wall. Let work begin!”
Dec. 2018 “It's a new design, highest technology, but with all of the technology, it still needs very thick steel when you get right down to it, right? It can be good technology, but you need thick steel.”
Jan. 2019

“So let me be very clear: We really have no choice but to build a powerful wall or steel barrier.”

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

From @djrothkopf

Sometimes Barack Obama lied.  Sometimes his aides dissembled and spun.  They were imperfect and self-interested.  Bush and Clinton too and presidents since time immemorial.  But never has the White House dealt exclusively in lies and paranoid fantasies.

It has gotten so statements become lies upon lies upon lies upon lies upon lies (there is a caravan, we need a wall, we have part of it built, we will build more of it, it will help).  It is not Orwellian.  It is much much worse.  We live in a dystopia.

It is made worse because leaders of venerable institutions support the lies to advance their self-interest.  The president and his band of thugs have bullied the GOP into supporting their total war on truth.  Alarms have been sounded and ignored.

But there is an antidote: a fact for every lie.  But beyond fact-checking the president must be challenged every time he spins a crisis out of nothing, a success out of failure.  That is not just the work of fact-checkers.  It must be the work of people with public platforms.

In debates every time he lies a journalist or a candidate must challenge him. "That's not true, sir.  Here is the fact.  Look it up.  I'll post it on my website."  Every time.  If we do not, the lie takes root.  It Is validated.  This is demanding.  It is tedious.

But it is essential.  Or we will continue the drift from our moorings, sink into the dark void of lies that is the only place this president's corruption is virtue, his betrayals are triumphs, his abuses are charity, his thefts are gifts, his failures are successes.

This.

It’s not like the Catholic Church has a long history of oppressing and controlling women within their patriarchal hierarchy and “values”. 

Correct and I was raised Catholic. I actually know two different women who are converting to Catholicism. One because her husband wants her too, the other, a successful business owner, because- “feminism, and the gays and trans bullshit has gone too far.”

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

Correct and I was raised Catholic. I actually know two different women who are converting to Catholicism. One because her husband wants her too, the other, a successful business owner, because- “feminism, and the gays and trans bullshit has gone too far.”

How do any of the three things she mentioned actually affect her personal life?  

3 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

The second lady's name?  Alberta Einstein.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I hate to break it to her, but the Catholic Church really isn't all that concerned with "feminism, and the gays and trans bullshit." She'd be much better off in an evangelical protestant church.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

From @djrothkopf

Sometimes Barack Obama lied.  Sometimes his aides dissembled and spun.  They were imperfect and self-interested.  Bush and Clinton too and presidents since time immemorial.  But never has the White House dealt exclusively in lies and paranoid fantasies.
It has gotten so statements become lies upon lies upon lies upon lies upon lies (there is a caravan, we need a wall, we have part of it built, we will build more of it, it will help).  It is not Orwellian.  It is much much worse.  We live in a dystopia.
It is made worse because leaders of venerable institutions support the lies to advance their self-interest.  The president and his band of thugs have bullied the GOP into supporting their total war on truth.  Alarms have been sounded and ignored.
But there is an antidote: a fact for every lie.  But beyond fact-checking the president must be challenged every time he spins a crisis out of nothing, a success out of failure.  That is not just the work of fact-checkers.  It must be the work of people with public platforms.
In debates every time he lies a journalist or a candidate must challenge him. "That's not true, sir.  Here is the fact.  Look it up.  I'll post it on my website."  Every time.  If we do not, the lie takes root.  It Is validated.  This is demanding.  It is tedious.
But it is essential.  Or we will continue the drift from our moorings, sink into the dark void of lies that is the only place this president's corruption is virtue, his betrayals are triumphs, his abuses are charity, his thefts are gifts, his failures are successes.

Some great points, but once again we have to preface a solid point with “both sides” before we even get started. Fuck that.
All trump does is lie. He lies about lies, and lies about ever telling the old lie while spewing a new lie completely contrary to the old one often with no purpose. Call him what he is, and do it briefly.

The media fucks this up constantly. They repeat his lies, then try to parse out “what the president meant”, then maybe refute the lie. A majority of people never make it past the first part; which only amplifies Trumps message.

Keep calling out lies in one sentence blasts. We are too stupid or short of attention for anything else, and Fox News will manipulate any statement more complicated than that.
  • Like 1

Episcopalians let gays marry and women preach?
Dumb slippery slope theory that equal rights means losing rights for white straight folks?
A lot of people are outraged by Transgender rights and all the political correctness. They things things went to far. (I disagree)

I hate to break it to her, but the Catholic Church really isn't all that concerned with "feminism, and the gays and trans bullshit." She'd be much better off in an evangelical protestant church.

Agreed. It’s a weird time to be joining the Catholic Church what with all the rape. People do weird shit.

59 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

57 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's right there in the quote, it's all "gone too far." TOO FAR!

Women work towards equality with men. Gays not getting beat up enough and being allowed to marry. Transexuals using the restrooms. WHERE WILL IT STOP?

I'll admit that I get tired of hearing about these issues because the media beat them to death not because anybody is going too far. I don't see how joining a church would help that. 

But for this woman, she should really look into going GOP and buying a tiki torch.

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh , this is the guy who recommended Trump hire Manafort.

Calling yourself a free country, a country of laws not men, and then being complicit in the cover up of  the wicked murder of a resident journalist is a pretty sickening atrocity. Separating small children from their parents, failing to keep track of them, exposing them to sexual abuse, putting them in cages, and allowing a few negligent deaths is pretty bad, too. 

Maybe that's the advantage of cozying up to N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Russia. It's the only way we can look sorta like the good guys in the group.

Nothing bad enough can happen to the vile men and women complicit in the rise of Trump to the White House and what we have become since then. Strip them. Put them in a big iron cage. Strap the cage to the deck of a slow ship. Take them to the North Atlantic and push the cage overboard.

These people are worse than enemies. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

EXECUTIVE TIME!

Holy shit its going to be really weird that President Harris or Warren doesn't need to play golf every fucking weekend.  Like, every POTUS has played golf as their negotiating/getting away.  Gonna be so weird when President Harris is like "Mitch, let's negotiate.  Drag your fat saggy ass onto this Peloton bike and let's do business." 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Holy shit its going to be really weird that President Harris or Warren doesn't need to play golf every fucking weekend.  Like, every POTUS has played golf as their negotiating/getting away.  Gonna be so weird when President Harris is like "Mitch, let's negotiate.  Drag your fat saggy ass onto this Peloton bike and let's do business." 

71081FB5-48EB-4A28-A07B-6723960ACD48_zps

E4BE50C1-11E5-4031-80C4-22E55232A2B1_zps

because there’s a bowling ally in the White House. Get it?

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What I don't understand is all this im reading about poor people getting less back in tax returns and/or having to owe for the first time ever or something.

How does this happen? I'm pretty poor myself (middle class) and I'm getting the biggest return I've ever gotten. I had some great deductions that maybe others might not have had (child credit helped, went through an adoption, got to claim some investment losses on a business I invested in around 2015 initially, etc.) but that that would only account for how sizable of a return i'd get. You should still get a good return if you are a middle of the road poor person with a 1040EZ, right? 

Or is it only the people without kids who are the ones who are not getting a bump in their returns or having to owe now?

You answered your own question.

As for the other people, not enough taxes were withheld from their paychecks. The dumbass Republicans wanted to get credit in the short term with bumps in pay without really thinking ahead to tax day 2019 when people would notice their refunds were lower or they actually owed money.

I see, so really the tax cut didn't give people a bump in pay, they were just obligated to pay less throughout the year due to a shuffling of the cards or whatever.
Most poors will (overall) pay less or same, but they have been getting more per paycheck, so avg. refund is 1/2 of last year.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They can be pro-life all they want. I have no doubt most nuns really belief life begins at conception. They just have no right whatsoever to tell another woman what to do with her body.

I'm pro-choice, so I don't disagree with this stance. But the line seems to be pretty blurry about what Liberals are willing to defend. Because I see a lot of people trying to tell me how I can and can't feel and what I can and cannot say about a lot of things these days. 

Just now, Spankytoes said:

I'm pro-choice, so I don't disagree with this stance. But the line seems to be pretty blurry about what Liberals are willing to defend. Because I see a lot of people trying to tell me how I can and can't feel and what I can and cannot say about a lot of things these days. 

No one is doing that.

Just now, David Dennison said:

Oh, no. You'll still be labeled a bigot, but you can say it all you want.

My point exactly.

Life doesn't start at conception: Scientifically incorrect.

A person's gender is malleable: Scientifically incorrect

Two widely different responses. Fuck that though, emotion is at play.

Got it

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

So if I disagree that a biological boy can't be a girl, I'm free to express my opinion without being labeled a biggot? 

Well, for starters you wouldn't be called a bigot in that instance.  You might be called a bigot if you agree that a biological boy can't be a girl.

Just now, Dahobbs said:

You're free to be a bigot. Others are free to criticize you for it. 

No issue with that at all. Just wondering why the goal posts arbitrarily move so much. "You can't force people to have a baby because it's her body, but fuck your logic and basic understanding of science because pronouns are important! How DARE you have a different viewpoint?!?"

Not going to derail the thread with this further.

Just now, Spankytoes said:

No issue with that at all. Just wondering why the goal posts arbitrarily move so much. "You can't force people to have a baby because it's her body, but fuck your logic and basic understanding of science because pronouns are important! How DARE you have a different viewpoint?!?"

Not going to derail the thread with this further.

Your basic understanding of science is flawed.

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

My point exactly.

Life doesn't start at conception: Scientifically incorrect.

A person's gender is malleable: Scientifically incorrect

Two widely different responses. Fuck that though, emotion is at play.

Got it

Gender is a sociological construct, not a biological one. A person's biological sex isn't malleable, at least not currently. A person's gender is, legally so in fact in most countries. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1