RIP Super Dave

UTCzech III

And I said, "Larry, would you like to make a toast."  And somebody said, "Larry went home to take a shit!"  

Think about all his characters from Curb, to Super Dave Osborne, the Ocean's movies, Smothers Brothers, Arrested Development, personal appearances on talk shows, his prolific writing career, etc., etc., etc.  He had the comedic range almost without peer from the physical, to the schmuck, to the straight man, to the goofball, to the moral compass, to the jester, and everything in between.  And he did it all with one single fucking facial expression.  He was a physically hilarious comedic actor who basically had one look on his face constantly (even when not playing it straight).  How the hell did he do that?  What a genius.  What a bummer.  

Holy shit, was listening to Raw Dog on satellite radio last night coming home from work (6-8p, I think was the broadcast window-CST).  It was Tom Papa interviewing Bob Einstein about everything from his start with the Smothers Brothers all the way up thru Curb and beyond.  It was apparently recorded and broadcast about 3 years ago or so (before the most recent season of Curb).  And they replayed it last night, uncut, so I would assume it's available now in their online archives.  Holy fucking shit, please listen to it one of these winter weekends when you have some time.  Of course, it's fucking hilarious, but warm and sincere and intriguing.  But I had no idea how deep into showbusiness this guy was.  I mean he had the kinda stories you expect to hear out of Rickles or Pat Cooper, but it's a guy that we all love that wasn't incredibly well known outside of Super Dave subscribers on Showtime.  But his stories on guys like Steve Allen and the creators of Showtime and Carson and the Reiners.  My god, I pulled over and sat for an extra half hour listening.  His humor was so effortless, it even shines through in a bland radio interview medium.  To his credit-Tom Papa does a great job drawing out background stuff from Bob as well.  Anyway, give it a listen online soon!