2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

I never get the anger from sports fans because a player wants to get paid what they’re worth on the open market. It actually says more about the person that gets angry over it.
31 NFL teams would pay Clowney more than 16m to play for them. But instead he’s “forced” to play for the one team that policy dictates they can pay less.  Add the fact that contracts are not guaranteed, I don’t understand why nfl players haven’t walked out. 
The players only need 100 of their own to agree to strike the day of the super bowl. Or actually only enough players to shut down 1 of the 2 teams. The owners would be pissed but they can’t allow anything to mess with the SB. It would impact future SB revenue as well.
Of course the nfl and football in general strongly pushback on individual thought or anything labeled as anti team. And the team not being the players but the coaches, owners and mgmt. players that would lead strike efforts strangely get cut along the way.

Dont get the hate either. Nevertheless, very few teams would sign JC to a long-term contract at 16-mil/year and make that guaranteed. And the ones that could arent very good.

Also dont get the hate for the ball club. In salary cap era its a risky proposition to sign an injury-prone, takes plays off defender to a massive long-term deal.

I don't blame JC for wanting to get paid either, but there aren't a lot of teams that would be willing to pay him what he wants.  He plays a position that is paid to get sacks, which is something he does not do at an elite level.  He is very disruptive in the running game, but that position gets paid to get to the QB whether anyone likes it or not.  Is it the scheme that prevents him from getting more sacks?  You would think with Watt and a healthy Mercilus JC would be double teamed less and therefor get more sacks, but it hasn't happened.  None of this is to say that he isn't a great player and one that would continue to make the Texans a better team, but they can't pay everyone that wants to get paid and they have to keep their cap flexible for next year when they can extend Watson.  If Clowney really had someone willing to pay him what he wants, he'd be gone by now.  Miami would have already traded for him, but JC didn't hear what he needed to hear from them money wise.  He's going to go the route of Bell and end up with the same deal he's already been offered but lose a season of 14-16 million that he will never be able to get back. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Reports out of Miami say that the Dolphins were willing to trade Tunsil to Houson in exchange for Jadeveon Clowney AND a first rd pick PLUS another high pick. spacer.png

Hey buddy, fuck you for your reports. That would have been an incredible deal. Hell, if I were the Texans I'd chip in on Clowney's contract with the Fins. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I'm afraid the only way to enjoy the Texan's season is to hate watch them this year.    Just laugh at the ineptitude.  

That kinda sums up my entire "fandom"

If they win, great. If not, laugh because they probably deserve it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

That kinda sums up my entire "fandom"

If they win, great. If not, laugh because they probably deserve it

I go to most games because it is a short drive from my house.  And I have a hookup and can park damn near by the front door and sit in a suite with free booze and food.  But I have a hard time giving a fuck whether they win or lose.  The day I lose that hookup, I doubt I ever go to another game.  My love for pro football died with the Oilers.

• Like 1

Hey buddy, fuck you for your reports. That would have been an incredible deal. Hell, if I were the Texans I'd chip in on Clowney's contract with the Fins. 
Hey buddy fuck you right back in your ear hole. That would be fuckin dumb. You don't give away first rd and second rd picks AND a Pro Bowl caliber DE/LB for a 70 grade LT. You acquire picks, don't give them away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hey buddy fuck you right back in your ear hole. That would be fuckin dumb. You don't give away first rd and second rd picks AND a Pro Bowl caliber DE/LB for a 70 grade LT. You acquire picks, don't give them away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm a dumbass. Read it wrong, and thought Texans were getting the pick, which is why I thought it was an amazing deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I go to most games because it is a short drive from my house.  And I have a hookup and can park damn near by the front door and sit in a suite with free booze and food.  But I have a hard time giving a fuck whether they win or lose.  The day I lose that hookup, I doubt I ever go to another game.  My love for pro football died with the Oilers.

Nice humblebrag.....can't say I'd be much different vis a vis this team.

6 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't blame JC for wanting to get paid either, but there aren't a lot of teams that would be willing to pay him what he wants.  He plays a position that is paid to get sacks, which is something he does not do at an elite level.  He is very disruptive in the running game, but that position gets paid to get to the QB whether anyone likes it or not.  Is it the scheme that prevents him from getting more sacks?  You would think with Watt and a healthy Mercilus JC would be double teamed less and therefor get more sacks, but it hasn't happened.  None of this is to say that he isn't a great player and one that would continue to make the Texans a better team, but they can't pay everyone that wants to get paid and they have to keep their cap flexible for next year when they can extend Watson.  If Clowney really had someone willing to pay him what he wants, he'd be gone by now.  Miami would have already traded for him, but JC didn't hear what he needed to hear from them money wise.  He's going to go the route of Bell and end up with the same deal he's already been offered but lose a season of 14-16 million that he will never be able to get back. 

I don't buy the argument that a player sitting out an entire season equates to a shorter career. Without a doubt, they lost a year's salary during that year but it could also just as easily add a year to the end of their career too. It's just as feasible that sitting out a year has allowed them to heal up like never before.  A 20-something year old sitting out a year is not like  turning 40 overnight.

Now the NFL hates individualism more than any sport so I do agree that a player sitting out can end their chances with many teams.

53 minutes ago, APMP said:

The leverage is that he can say no to signing the tag tender if the Texans are trading him to a team he doesn't want to go to

Only for him to get traded to the same team once he signs the tender. He's just costing himself money at this point.

Besides Clowney's status the Texans are so fucked on offense, the best part of them fumbling the off-season and firing Gaine, it's going to expose just how over his head O'Brien is. Though it is interesting to see the Pats maneuver to overhaul their OL.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

But yet people will still line up to fill up tailgating and nrg. Buy all the generic bland merchandise they can. Glad i have $0 invested in them.
Bring on the Roughnecks!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That’s about the only thing the Texans do right.

The Texans are an embarrassment to the great city of Houston. One of the best, most sophisticated football markets in the country is subjected to outright garbage year in and year out. A real NFL franchise in this city would capitalize on the passion of the average Houston football fan and understand the sacred trust that is placed in them. Instead our city is held hostage by a drunk, moron of an owner with a thin-skinned mediocre coach with a fat, lazy beat writer in Pancakes McLain who tries to justify their stupidity. The best analogy to our situation is Toronto with the Maple Leafs. I will be booing nonstop this year and will not spend a dime at the stadium for games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

6-12 is my projected record for them this year

So you're predicting they win the AFC South with a 5-11 record?

...and win a playoff game?

Wonder if the Chargers would take that 3rd rounder for Melvin Gordon...

Edited by Ignatius

I've been a hate-watcher of the Texans pretty much since their inception. I was a diehard Oilers fan -- my love for them was almost as strong as my love for the Horns, but I just never got aboard the McNair Express. It's been one fuck up after another. Tried to sign Boselli -- he never played a down but he sold plenty of battle red jerseys to the rubes. Passed on Julius Peppers because The Warden wanted a good Christian boy to be the face of the franchise. The only thing Christian about David Carr was how he got thrown to the Lions, and every other team in the NFL. The roster's been a Whack A Mole game from the get-go. Decent OL? The QB blows. Almighty DL? Clown car secondary.

Bland players, bland mascot, bland uniforms...just a blah franchise all the away around, and one that also happens to be the worst-run franchise in the NFL.

And I doubt things will get better with young Calhoun McNair at the helm.

(What, the Texans have a racist front office? How could that be? Well, the de facto owner is named after John C. Calhoun, who so loved slavery he tried to start the Civil War 20 years early, and Bob McNair thought that was so cool he named his son after him.)

So it's been weird. I've never been an ardent hate-watcher before, but as a long-suffering Houstonian sports fan, it's been one of the more rewarding fan experiences I've had in my lifetime. You get to be like Rhett Butler, laughing bitterly at every Texan playoff debacle, brain-dead personnel move, PR disaster (always from the front office), Super Bowl ring won by a Texan cast-off like Gary Kubiak, and plain ol' in-season choke job. I have a new favorite team every weekend for all 17 weeks of every season -- whoever is playing the Texans. It is better to share the love with many that focus it on one team, I've found, and it is also better to laugh at these idiots than invest even the slightest tinge of anger or sadness on them. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The Texans are an embarrassment to the great city of Houston. One of the best, most sophisticated football markets in the country is subjected to outright garbage year in and year out. A real NFL franchise in this city would capitalize on the passion of the average Houston football fan and understand the sacred trust that is placed in them. Instead our city is held hostage by a drunk, moron of an owner with a thin-skinned mediocre coach with a fat, lazy beat writer in Pancakes McLain who tries to justify their stupidity. The best analogy to our situation is Toronto with the Maple Leafs. I will be booing nonstop this year and will not spend a dime at the stadium for games. 

Where do you get this idea that Houston football fans are sophisticated? Please don't say talk radio, because 9.99 of every ten callers is a gibbering, drooling pigskin mongoloid. 

20 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

I would absolutely love it if Hopkins and Watson both demanded a trade this season. 6-12 is my projected record for them this year. Dont think Watson makes it 16 games.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yup. Get out of this shithole. They probably replace buttchin with Art Briles too. 

Cursed ever since they didn't go with HOUSTON HURRICANES and passed on Vince Young.