2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

Sounds like you're missing the rest of the trade details.

Why would they trade this year's 1st rounder, the same one they traded up for, for a 3rd?

It would have been the Texans 1st rounder and a 3rd to trade up 1 spot to get Dillard. The Texans took the TE from San Diego State with that pick.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Is Howard even playing tackle?

Most of his snaps have been at LG. The Texans OL was bad from LT to RT last year.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

So Howard as essentially put up similar statistics to Dillard, and you are advocating giving away another 3rd round pick? This team shouldn't be giving away draft picks, when there are as many holes on the team that there are.

I would have given it up to get a LT that is ready to go right now and has the pedigree of playing in a P5 program in a passing heavy offense instead of grabbing a guy from a no-name school like Alabama State who should have gone in the 2nd-3rd round to a team that could have brought him along slowly. I am not saying that Howard can't become a player but the reports I am reading about from Seth Payne and others are that he is not ready to start at LT in the NFL. Gaine drafted too many projects and not sure things like Dillard who is already rated highly by PFF. Warring and Lonnie Johnson are making me nervous too. If Dillard has a season like Quenton Nelson did last year as a rookie for the Colts, we will all be shaking our fists. BOB showing his cunty, thin-skinned personality yesterday while being asked about Matt Kalil's injury status. He can't be that stupid to have him on the 53 man roster much less as our LT or can he.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Might be a season ender 

Brian T Smith had a good column this week about how stupid and pointless the NFL preseason is. College football, where the regular season is the most important of any sport doesn’t have a preseason. Get rid of this farce. Fuck Bill O’Brien in the ass. Piece of shit joke of a coach.

25 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Brian T Smith had a good column this week about how stupid and pointless the NFL preseason is. College football, where the regular season is the most important of any sport doesn’t have a preseason. Get rid of this farce. Fuck Bill O’Brien in the ass. Piece of shit joke of a coach.

I’v been making this point for years. Even in high school, you have one controlled scrimmage against another team and that’s it. Knock it down to one preseason game and start the damn season 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’v been making this point for years. Even in high school, you have one controlled scrimmage against another team and that’s it. Knock it down to one preseason game and start the damn season 

Uh . . . in high school in Texas you're allowed one intersquad scrimmage and 2 against other schools before the regular season.

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If they go from 20 games to 17, they’ll just have to prorate the lost revenue on the 3 into 17. Including tv and advertising. Tall hill to climb.

Edited by Wishbone

Just now, Wishbone said:

If they go from 20 games to 17, they’ll just have to prorate the lost revenue on the 3 into 17.

They’re probably just going to add two regular season games and replace those last two preseason games for regular season games. I don’t see how that wouldn’t happen during the next CBA

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

They’re probably just going to add two regular season games and replace those last two preseason games for regular season games. I don’t see how that wouldn’t happen during the next CBA

They have talked about that format for years. With all of the hand wringing over health issues, I see fewer preseason without adding regular season games.

12 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I didn’t know they added a 2nd scrimmage. It used to always be one. The inter squad series kinda goes without saying 

I played my HS ball from 85-89 and it was always 1 intersquad and 2 vs other teams.  It has been that way since too.  I don't know how far you're going back, but that's 30 plus years it's been done this way at least.

Edited by Hairy Biped

1 minute ago, Hairy Biped said:

I played my HS ball from 85-89 and it was always 1 intersquad and 2 vs other teams.  It has been that way since too.  I don't know how far you're going back, but that's 30 plus years it's been done this way at least.

I was in high school from 2003-2007 in the Austin area and the SA area. We only played one scrimmage before “zero” week every year. Every year against the same team, actually. 

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was in high school from 2003-2007 in the Austin area and the SA area. We only played one scrimmage before “zero” week every year. Every year against the same team, actually. 

Interesting.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that Brenham has scrimmaged 2 opponents a year since my time.  And they have played zero week games almost every year it's been allowed also.

5 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The preseason is all about making season ticket holders buy more tickets. Plain and simple. 

28 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

If they go from 20 games to 17, they’ll just have to prorate the lost revenue on the 3 into 17. Including tv and advertising. Tall hill to climb.

21 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Preseason means less than nothing, injuries aside, but Andrew Luck retiring is the biggest move this team has made since Peyton Manning left Indy

Absolutely. However, if anyone has any confidence in the current Texans set-up, your club is getting smaller. I would be both shocked and gruntled for a winning season with wild card chances. I have 0 confidence in BO’B’s “leadership”. Will be more than satisfied to be completely off base here.

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yep, just have scrimmages for a couple of weeks, and then start the season. This is something that the players should really fight over. The only people making money in pre-season are the owners.