2019 Houston Texans Offseason

The Earl of Texas

25 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Where do you get this idea that Houston football fans are sophisticated? Please don't say talk radio, because 9.99 of every ten callers is a gibbering, drooling pigskin mongoloid. 

Houston is in Texas where football is king from high school to the NFL. This town loves football at every level. We have been let down by this joke of a franchise 

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Houston is in Texas where football is king from high school to the NFL. This town loves football at every level. We have been let down by this joke of a franchise 

I won't argue that it's a football town. I do dispute the level of intelligence that goes with that passion. 

The McNairs aren’t racist in any sense.  Racists don’t hire Rick Smith.  They don’t keep him years after he proved he sucks.  Cal and Rick are extremely close friends and Bob was like a dad to Rick.  

I think the Texans are terribly run. But Bob McNair and his family are some of the finest human beings you will ever come across.  The shit they do for Houston, most of which flies under the radar, is incredible. Those racists just cut a check for $5 million to build an athletic facility in the Third Ward for disadvantaged kids.  I hate seeing assholes denigrate their character.  

Denigrate their management of the team all you want.  I’ll join in.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

And I doubt things will get better with young Calhoun McNair at the helm.

(What, the Texans have a racist front office? How could that be? Well, the de facto owner is named after John C. Calhoun, who so loved slavery he tried to start the Civil War 20 years early, and Bob McNair thought that was so cool he named his son after him.)

Could you Cloak Roomers take a break from being 24/7 retards?  There are a billion things to criticize the Texans for, racism isn't one of them.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

As long as Cowher has been away from coaching, I’d still take him 90 times before BO.

Agreed.  BO isn’t going to make it.  He might be a good position coach, maybe a coordinator.  He also rubs me the wrong way.  Fake tough guy.  I remember him having to be  “held” back from the old special teams coach after a special teams fuck up.  Very public and on the sidelines.  That special teams coach, I don’t remember his name, was a fairly recent former nfl player who would have beaten the dog shit out of BO.  

I did support the hire initially based on his work at NE and Pedo State.  But he isn’t anything to write home about. 

I told Cal we should hire Lincoln. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Could you Cloak Roomers take a break from being 24/7 retards?  There are a billion things to criticize the Texans for, racism isn't one of them.

Tell that to the players. The Texans front office has a reputation, like it or not. 

https://theundefeated.com/features/texans-players-enraged-over-bob-mcnairs-inmates-comment-and-these-are-the-facts/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2019/06/13/brian-gaine-texans-targeted-african-american-employees/1441726001/

https://www.theroot.com/houston-texans-owner-defends-carolina-panthers-owners-r-1824084503

https://www.thestate.com/sports/nfl/article181508331.html (Duane Brown speaks out, gets traded, makes Pro Bowl while Texan OL still sucks ass.)

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've been a hate-watcher of the Texans pretty much since their inception. I was a diehard Oilers fan -- my love for them was almost as strong as my love for the Horns, but I just never got aboard the McNair Express. It's been one fuck up after another. Tried to sign Boselli -- he never played a down but he sold plenty of battle red jerseys to the rubes. Passed on Julius Peppers because The Warden wanted a good Christian boy to be the face of the franchise. The only thing Christian about David Carr was how he got thrown to the Lions, and every other team in the NFL. The roster's been a Whack A Mole game from the get-go. Decent OL? The QB blows. Almighty DL? Clown car secondary.

Bland players, bland mascot, bland uniforms...just a blah franchise all the away around, and one that also happens to be the worst-run franchise in the NFL.

And I doubt things will get better with young Calhoun McNair at the helm.

(What, the Texans have a racist front office? How could that be? Well, the de facto owner is named after John C. Calhoun, who so loved slavery he tried to start the Civil War 20 years early, and Bob McNair thought that was so cool he named his son after him.)

So it's been weird. I've never been an ardent hate-watcher before, but as a long-suffering Houstonian sports fan, it's been one of the more rewarding fan experiences I've had in my lifetime. You get to be like Rhett Butler, laughing bitterly at every Texan playoff debacle, brain-dead personnel move, PR disaster (always from the front office), Super Bowl ring won by a Texan cast-off like Gary Kubiak, and plain ol' in-season choke job. I have a new favorite team every weekend for all 17 weeks of every season -- whoever is playing the Texans. It is better to share the love with many that focus it on one team, I've found, and it is also better to laugh at these idiots than invest even the slightest tinge of anger or sadness on them. 

Holy crap. Those are my exact feelings in a nutshell. I do wish I had the PR machine that convinced every Texans fan that Watson is some kind of elite QB. 

• Like 2

I have no idea whether the McNairs are or are not racists but I do think some of Bob McNairs comments over the last years leading to his passing, can be chalked up to an old man that perhaps shouldn’t have been given the TV remote control much less be asked questions by the media.

I had season tickets for the first 12 years or so, but I now pass up free tickets. I’m still a fan that will turn on the tv for a bit but I find better ways to spend a Sunday than 4-6 hours at NRG.  Even if you forget the product on the field, I always felt the fan experience sucked. 

• Like 2

I hate that Mack gets two 1st rounders and Clowney gets this. It shows Houston waited way too long to start seriously shopping him. Probably should have traded him last year on the last year of his rookie deal with Mack as a benchmark. 

However, the rumbling the past days was that people believed Clowney would have sat out, Texans would not have franchised him at $20M+ next year, then Clowney signs elsewhere and Houston gets a 2021 3rd round compensation pick (end of the round). With this trade, they get a 3rd rounder a year earlier, no worse than the 96th pick, a LB with potential and adds to ST, and they can kick the tires on Mingo. This may have been the best they could get at this point. They fucked up by not being decisive and trading him sooner. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

32 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I hate that Mack gets two 1st rounders and Clowney gets this. It shows Houston waited way too long to start seriously shopping him. Probably should have traded him last year on the last year of his rookie deal with Mack as a benchmark. 

However, the rumbling the past days was that people believed Clowney would have sat out, Texans would not have franchised him at $20M+ next year, then Clowney signs elsewhere and Houston gets a 2021 3rd round compensation pick (end of the round). With this trade, they get a 3rd rounder a year earlier, no worse than the 96th pick, a LB with potential and adds to ST, and they can kick the tires on Mingo. This may have been the best they could get at this point. They fucked up by not being decisive and trading him sooner. 

To be fair, Mack is a top 5 defensive player. Maybe top 3

I have no idea whether the McNairs are or are not racists but I do think some of Bob McNairs comments over the last years leading to his passing, can be chalked up to an old man that perhaps shouldn’t have been given the TV remote control much less be asked questions by the media.
I had season tickets for the first 12 years or so, but I now pass up free tickets. I’m still a fan that will turn on the tv for a bit but I find better ways to spend a Sunday than 4-6 hours at NRG.  Even if you forget the product on the field, I always felt the fan experience sucked. 
so... I'm going to give you the black man optics...

Brian Cushing got a new deal early and while injured.

JJ Watt got a new deal while coming off an injury (granted he was DPOYx2)

Clowney was top 2 on your defense... possibly ever... no deal... traded for nothing...

Every dude I know in the hood is going to call the Texans racist.

I am a converted hate-watcher.... I said I'd never be a fan until they got rid of Kubiak... They got worse, while winning the division... how is that possible?

I now believe my hate was misplaced. This team will be shit forever... I'll try to ride with them, but damn, man... you don't trade your 2nd best defensive player when your best player could be a hit away from retiring...
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

so... I'm going to give you the black man optics...

Brian Cushing got a new deal early and while injured.

JJ Watt got a new deal while coming off an injury (granted he was DPOYx2)

Clowney was top 2 on your defense... possibly ever... no deal... traded for nothing...

Every dude I know in the hood is going to call the Texans racist.

I am a converted hate-watcher.... I said I'd never be a fan until they got rid of Kubiak... They got worse, while winning the division... how is that possible?

I now believe my hate was misplaced. This team will be shit forever... I'll try to ride with them, but damn, man... you don't trade your 2nd best defensive player when your best player could be a hit away from retiring...

What self-respecting racist would trade for Kenny Stills?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Wow. Busy day on for BOB. Pushing his chips in this year to save his job. Should be interesting

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Which is why you never allow a coach to be a GM, especially one that is on the hot seat. He has fucked the franchise in the near future to save his job.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

If Tunsil is as good as advertised, then the Texans can put together a decent line for DW. Stills is ok but more importantly he’s durable unlike Fuller and Coutee. The firsts would have been probably wasted anyway, e.g. Howard instead of Dillard. Their terrible draft this year is what led to this trade.

Out:

Clowney 

2 1st rd picks

A 2nd rd pick

A second year OG Rankins that was either poorly evaluated or has been poorly coached.

A 3rd year OT Davenport that was either poorly evaluated or has been poorly coached.

In:

A career backup RB

2 career backup LB’s

A 2/3 WR who has a track record of dropping routine passes

A 3rd rd pick, a pick in which the Texans have flopped over and over again for the past 5/6 seasons

A 4th rd pick

A ProBowl caliber OT who hasn’t gave any indication yet that he’s signing with the Texans

2 minutes ago, msbesq said:

If Tunsil is as good as advertised, then the Texans can put together a decent line for DW. Stills is ok but more importantly he’s durable unlike Fuller and Coutee. The firsts would have been probably wasted anyway, e.g. Howard instead of Dillard. Their terrible draft this year is what led to this trade.

I love these type of rationalizations.  We would have wasted the draft picks by picking shitty players so might as well blow them by overpaying in a trade.  Shitty management is shitty management.  Tunsil is nice player though and has improved every year.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Texans lose 2 First Rounders, 1 Second, Clowney, Martinus, Bademosi, Davenport and get back 1 3rd Round, 1 4th Round, Tunsil, Stills, Hyde, Barkevious Mingo (pass rusher), Jacob Martin (ILB)

honestly, if we could have gotten a first for Clowney or only have given up one first rounder for Tunsil/Stills this would have been a home run. granted though, don’t see either the Seahawks or Dolphins doing that.

So, this whole thing cost us a first round pick premium. BOB, get us to the AFC Championship and that’s basically just a second round pick we gave up. That’s a B+ grade if it pencils out.

I know I’m jumping through some pretty big justification hoops, but fuck. I’m pretty excited. Tunsil is a unanimous top 3 LT going into the prime of his career and we’re pairing him with Hopkins and Watson.

Is Melvin Gordon possible or is it just a pipe dream?

1 minute ago, Don Hornleone said:

Out:

Clowney 

2 1st rd picks

A 2nd rd pick

A second year OG Rankins that was either poorly evaluated or has been poorly coached.

A 3rd year OT Davenport that was either poorly evaluated or has been poorly coached.

In:

A career backup RB

2 career backup LB’s

A 2/3 WR who has a track record of dropping routine passes

A 3rd rd pick, a pick in which the Texans have flopped over and over again for the past 5/6 seasons

A 4th rd pick

A ProBowl caliber OT who hasn’t gave any indication yet that he’s signing with the Texans

He's expected to be re-signed.  They gave him all the leverage to call his number.